PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Dixon a "no show" at Steelers camp, wants to play elsewhere

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
The training camp of the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) is filled with early storylines (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29951/whats-next-for-steelers-plaxico). But one story that hasn't received much attention is the status of quarterback Dennis Dixon (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11390), who has been a no-show in camp.

A restricted free agent, Dixon has yet to sign his tender and hasn't reported to the Steelers. On Sunday, the AFC North blog caught up with Dixon's agent, Jeff Sperbeck, who said his client would prefer a chance to compete elsewhere rather than be a backup to two-time Super Bowl champion Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5536) this season.

"Dennis would love the opportunity to start," Sperbeck said. "Yes, we would look forward to an opportunity for a trade -- it's a starting opportunity we're looking for."

Dixon has been a backup to Roethlisberger since 2008.

The Steelers put a fifth-round tender on Dixon this offseason, so there is a chance other teams could eventually show interest once the dust settles on unrestricted quarterbacks. From ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth)

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Dixon is not going to go anywhere and start. If that's what he's holding out for he might as well not even bother. There's nobody in the league that will offer him anything other than a backup job. With Leftwich and Batch still on the roster, he knows he wouldn't even be guaranteed a chance to be the main backup.

I can't blame him for wanting to get more playing time, any player in the NFL wants that. As far as getting a starting gig now, that's just not in the cards. He has very limited experience and spent most of last season injured as it is.

connecticutsteel
07-31-2011, 02:29 PM
don't you know everyone is a star in there own mind .

Raleigh Steel
07-31-2011, 02:33 PM
hey, maybe the redskins would like to trade something for him. who is their QB? john beck. wtf!!!!

snyder has been know to make a bad deal or thirty before....

Zachintosh66
07-31-2011, 02:36 PM
this doesnt surprise me...

Rampage
07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Shame AZ already traded for Kolb.

DanRooney
07-31-2011, 02:49 PM
he sucks.

StlersGuy
07-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Good trade him he has done nothing for us and really is a sub par QB

Rampage
07-31-2011, 02:55 PM
I heard that the Panthers are supposedly willing to trade their towel manager for him, plus a conditional container of Gatorade. I say the Steelers do it.

Lunchbucket
07-31-2011, 02:56 PM
If the man is unhappy, give him what he wants,but make sure we get something in return.

steelersbabex25
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Dixon, get your head out of your ***. The only time you'll start is when someone gets suspended or hurt. Batch played the backup role for the Steelers for how long and never complained? Someone's gotta do it.

LatrobePA
07-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Trade his ***.

Prosdo
07-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Lmao where does he think he is gonna start? Dude isn't anywhere near starting material right now.

DanRooney
07-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Trade his ***.

For a box of Marlboro menthols?

Speaking of "no show."

‎#Steelers WR Limas Sweed (hamstring) is not practicing today.

LatrobePA
07-31-2011, 03:49 PM
For a box of Marlboro menthols?

Speaking of "no show."

‎#Steelers WR Limas Sweed (hamstring) is not practicing today.

I'd go for a pack Basic lights lol

Sweed will miss his boat soon.

uclkyle
07-31-2011, 03:54 PM
I think the story is getting blown up a little bit. He's not even allowed to practice until next Thursday. He doesn't have a contract, and he's simply putting himself out there at the possibility to start. He isn't going anywhere. He will be the 3rd QB this year.

LatrobePA
07-31-2011, 04:00 PM
His agent said he wanted to be a starter, nothing to blow out.

Rampage
07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Really, where would he be able to compete to be a starter? Miami, Oakland, maybe Seattle?

LatrobePA
07-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Clev, cinci.

StlersGuy
07-31-2011, 04:33 PM
Lmao where does he think he is gonna start? Dude isn't anywhere near starting material right now.

He could start in Cincy...:lol:

MattyVfromCT
07-31-2011, 04:43 PM
He could start in Cincy...:lol:

My grandmother could start in Cincy. What a mess that is over there lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

igor0190
07-31-2011, 04:56 PM
He may start in Cincy... But it would probably also end his career. Any confidence he had would be destroyed and/or he would undoubtably get injured. He should really count his blessings for being the backup QB here, play out your contract, and then see what free agency might bring.

coldrolled
07-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Arians and Dixon are living on two different planets. dixon needs to go.

we need another backup like say John Skelton fron Pitt West. 6'6' 250lb.

he can work good in an arians offense.

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Take your freakin time dude. Hell take the season.

StlersGuy
07-31-2011, 05:23 PM
I say if he wants traded then do it however what we will get for him a 6th round pick

Edit just read it on espn so if we can get a 5th round for him that will work he really is not worth much more

Pittsburgh placed a fifth-round tender on Dixon. Therefore, any team that makes an offer would have to give up a late pick in 2012. The Steelers also have the right to match any offers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6820696/dennis-dixon-no-show-pittsburgh-steelers-camp

airbrake 1
07-31-2011, 05:40 PM
wow it seems like only yesterday when people were raving about how good dixon was and how the steelers would still be a great team with him at QB and the steelers should trade ben roethlisberger...where has all the love gone.... (question) who is the most popular person in pittsburgh??? (answer) the steelers back-up QB until he finally gets his opportunity to play

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-31-2011, 06:07 PM
wow it seems like only yesterday when people were raving about how good dixon was and how the steelers would still be a great team with him at QB and the steelers should trade ben roethlisberger...where has all the love gone.... (question) who is the most popular person in pittsburgh??? (answer) the steelers back-up QB until he finally gets his opportunity to play

The only thing wrong with the human race is humans. Hey, I remember all that love. But, that was then and this is now. I am a fully vested fan and don't get paid by no one and I ain't under contract to anyone. I am of a fickle mind and change allegiance to anyone on my team at anytime with out written or spoken notice in advance of anything.

The beginning of last years season was an apparition and it seemed the world had ended before it actually started. Dirt would have been welcome at that time. Just sayin not nockin.

Zachintosh66
07-31-2011, 08:08 PM
What about SF... Harbargh has to play against him and knows what hes capable of.

Buffalo woulda been a good fit but they just took Brad Smith and it sounds like hes gonna play more QB

uclkyle
07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
His agent said he wanted to be a starter, nothing to blow out.

Of course his agent said he wants to be starter. What else is his agent supposed to say about a free agent? I would fire my agent if he came out and said, "Dennis is looking to be a career back-up." The guy is young, he wants to start. He won't get a chance this year, but why not say it. It's getting blown up.

StlersGuy
07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't think we have a say where he goes all that we can do is match the offer or ask for a 5th round pick

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

connecticutsteel
07-31-2011, 11:35 PM
He is worth a 4th round pick trade him to ariz they need a #2

steelersbabex25
08-01-2011, 12:25 AM

When did anyone want to trade Ben and give Dixon the starting job? Psh. The only thing anything said about Dixon was that he'd be a great backup.

DanRooney
08-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Dixon isn't worth a conditional 7th round pick in 2027.

airbrake 1
08-01-2011, 05:53 AM
When did anyone want to trade Ben and give Dixon the starting job? Psh. The only thing anything said about Dixon was that he'd be a great backup.

how soon we forget.... or just selective memory.... i remember oodles of people saying trade or cut ben ,we can win a super bowl with dixon...oh i forgot we don't reside here so we don't hear the nattering nabobs of negativism...the funny thing was these people never seen him play a meaning down...but i guess that's the way people like their coaching done, on the fly by throwing s**t against the wall to see what sticks...

Farrior Fan
08-01-2011, 06:50 AM
hey, maybe the redskins would like to trade something for him. who is their QB? john beck. wtf!!!!

snyder has been know to make a bad deal or thirty before....

Skins can resign Carlos Rogers and then trade him to us for Dixon.

Blazedby92
08-01-2011, 09:53 AM
BYE!!!!!!!!

--- Added 8/1/2011 at 08:53 AM ---

how soon we forget.... or just selective memory.... i remember oodles of people saying trade or cut ben ,we can win a super bowl with dixon...oh i forgot we don't reside here so we don't hear the nattering nabobs of negativism...the funny thing was these people never seen him play a meaning down...but i guess that's the way people like their coaching done, on the fly by throwing s**t against the wall to see what sticks...

Thinking the same thing,LOL
Called Fair weather fans, same people can't stand to listen too

LatrobePA
08-01-2011, 09:57 AM
DD isn't even close to a starter...He played well last year but has a looooooooong way to go!

K Train
08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
get AZ on the phone, all we want is larry fitzgerald, darnell dockett, 10 first round picks, and the university of phoenix stadium....im sure they'll do it, they like being raped

LarryNJ
08-01-2011, 11:32 AM
He is worth a 4th round pick trade him to ariz they need a #2

He may beat Kolb out for the starting position. They should have taken him over the ridiculous amount of money they gave Kolb.

Rampage
08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
get AZ on the phone, all we want is larry fitzgerald, darnell dockett, 10 first round picks, and the university of phoenix stadium....im sure they'll do it, they like being raped

Add Joey Porter to the list so the Steelers can continue their yearly ritual of bringing back players with nothing left in the tank.

harpo
08-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Looks like Dixon has changed his mind:

Dixon changes mind; will sign tender (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/dennis-dixon-changes-mind-will-sign-steelers-tender/)

LatrobePA
08-01-2011, 01:40 PM

Dixon changes mind; will sign tender (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/dennis-dixon-changes-mind-will-sign-steelers-tender/)

lmao!!

StlersGuy
08-01-2011, 02:06 PM

If I where the Steelers I would not offer him a contract :lol:

DanRooney
08-01-2011, 02:20 PM

Looks like no one else wanted this bum :clap:

StlersGuy
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Looks like no one else wanted this bum :clap:

now we are stuck with him :banging: hope he does not make the team and we have to cut him :hilarious:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Right now he's not under contract and not in camp. He hasn't signed his tender offer so they can yank that at anytime and just let him walk away. Right now I would surprised if he makes the team in 2011.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
And just when you think it's sorted out...

Quarterback Dennis Dixon has signed a one-year contract and will play for the Steelers this season before looking for a team where he has a chance to start.
Dixon, who started two games last season while Ben Roethlisberger was suspended, had been a restricted free agent. His signing gives the Steelers a surplus at quarterback as Dixon, Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch will battle for the two spots behind Roethlisberger.

Dixon, 26, is not allowed to start practicing with the Steelers until Thursday because of the rules this year regarding free agents. He will become an unrestricted free agent after this season.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%20sign%20QB%20Dixon%20to%20one-year%20deal%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749466.html#ixzz1TogYMn4V)

steelersbabex25
08-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Oh, thank God! *rolls eyes*

airbrake 1
08-01-2011, 08:02 PM
He must have been dreaming back to when a lot of people were showering him with praise last season...why would i want to leave these great fans who think i'm hardly worth a dogpile nowadays...glutton for punishment...but remember he's only a few bad games (or quarters) by roethlisberger from being everyones sweetheart once again...so i guess hope's spring is eternal, hell even the pirates are still above .500 anything can happen in this town

StlersGuy
08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
There has been some drama surrounding Dennis Dixon during this Free Agency period and the start of camp. Dixon went on the record a few days ago to say that he wanted to leave Pittsburgh and go somewhere where he could be a starter. After a couple of days of searching, and teams filling their QB holes with other players, Dennis quickly cowered down and accepted a one year deal for the Steelers. The terms for the one year deal are yet to be released. Is Dennis worth keeping around when weíve got two other capable QBs on the roster?
Before I give you a short answer to that question, let me blabber on for a minute. Dennis Dixon was an Oregon QB who was drafted in the 5th round of the NFL draft in 2008. As we all know, the first few years with Big Ben behind center yeilded some very interesting moments. From bike crashes to appendixes to sexual allegations off the feild, and Super Bowl Titles on the field, Big Ben was a scary person to have be the leader and big money player on your team.
In other words, Itís no wonder they drafted Dixon.
Dixon is that Slash kind of player in that he uses his feet to scramble around the pocket and often pick up positive yardage and touchdowns running. Heís seen a little action in the NFL, namely in a Ravens game where he had us in a position to win against our biggest rivals, and some during the beginning of the 2010 season at the time of Benís 4 game suspension. It is these moments that will need to be evaluated to understand what weíre dealing with here. Dixon believes heís shown us that he is starting material. But is he?
For me, the move to draft Dixon was an obvious one. Itís security for Big Ben, and a young guy that can maybe develop nicely behind a veteran QB. Add to that the fact the two other vets, Byron and Batch, have been around since Dixonís innaugural season, and youíve got a nice environment for growth. Also, Batch is old. Heís been relatively reliable, but heís getting old. So there is that to take in to account as well.
SO, Dixonís first career start was on November 29th, 2009 against the hated Baltimore Ravens. He went 12-26 with one touchdown and one interception, finishing with 145 yds passing and 27 yds on three Qb runs. So basically, it was OK. The real thing was, and I remember thinking this during the game, that Dixon did very well through three quarters of the game. The Steelers ran the ball a ton, and started him out with some screen passes and tight end passes and other things that are low pressure for the QB, and opted to let him use his feet from time to time. I thought during the game that they were being too careful and needed to just let Dixon play and do his thing, but that was before his interception in the 4th quarter. Dennis had actually done a fine job getting the Steelers in a position to win, but the defense just couldnít stop the Ravens, which put Dennis in a two minute drill type situation which is when, as expected in a rookie QB, he threw his interception.
Then in 2010, after Big Benís mishap and suspension, and LOTS of QB drama, the Steelers opted for Dixon at Qb and Batch at backup. They used a very similar strategy in that first game and relied heavily on the defense and run game to win. It ended up going to overtime and was won when Rashard broke off a 50 yard TD run to win the game. In game 2 against the Titans, Dixon injured his knee which put him on IR for the remainder of the season. Batch took over and played spectacularly, boasting the best stats of his entire career over the next couple of games.
In 2010, Dixon went 22-32 over all, throwing for 254 yards with 1 interception and 1 fumble (in the 2 2010 games). He rushed 5 times for 32 yards over 2 games, with a long of 21 yards.
Basically, his performances were nothing to write home about. When I watched him play, I remember thinking that with some time in a starting role, he really could develop in to a good starting quarterback. Maybe even a very good one. That being said, with Free Agency where it was, and with Dixon coming off of a serious season ending knee injury, itís no wonder no one paid him any attention when he showed interest in leaving Pittsburgh.
Iíve gone on record saying many times that I believe the lineup at QB should go: Big Ben, Charlie Batch, Dennis Dixon, and Leftwich should be let go. To me, Leftwich was appealing when we needed someone to come in and play backup while Batch was hurt, and somehow he just lingered around. Yes, Batch has experienced some injuries over the past few seasons, but his performance in 2010, during Benís suspension, was enough for me to see that Batch is the guy for that position, hands down.
That being said, Dixon should remain number 3 at worst, and be able to continue to develop under Big Ben. We all know how fragile Ben is, and I donít mean physically. Physically he is a man among boys. It is his off field issues that make him fragile, and if he were to do something stupid again, and be done in Pittsburgh, then I would say Dixon is the guy to start, and Batch remains backup. That might sound weird, but short term, Batch is the guy. He is the guy who can get the job done well enough until Ben gets back. Batch is not a long term prospect, Dixon is.
All in all Iíd say that Dixon belongs in Pittsburgh. I am not happy about him looking to leave, but itís understandable that he would want to go somewhere and start. All competitors want that same thing. I just think his look for exodus was a little premature. Weíll see as camp progresses, how these guys compete for a position. As of now, we have 4 guys where there needs to be three. You know my three, I just hope the Steelers feel the same way.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2011/08/03/steelers-quarterbacks-evaluating-dennis-dixons-worth/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

DanRooney
08-03-2011, 01:55 PM
I remember thinking he can't read defenses, he threw more interceptions that bounced off defender's chests, and most of his passes were short and in the middle of the field (meaning he doesn't have much of an arm). Nobody wanted him in FA for a reason. He sucks.

StlersGuy
08-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I remember thinking he can't read defenses, he threw more interceptions that bounced off defender's chests, and most of his passes were short and in the middle of the field (meaning he doesn't have much of an arm). Nobody wanted him in FA for a reason. He sucks.

I could not agree more and I really hope he does not even make the team, we are sitting on 5 QB's and it would be a slap in his arrogant face if we just cut him

steeldoc
08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
He sucks and needs braces.:ply::ply::ply:

LatrobePA
08-03-2011, 07:23 PM
He sucks and needs braces.:ply::ply::ply:

Just wrong...lol

StlersGuy
08-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Just wrong...lol

but very :hilarious::hilarious:

BlitzburghRockCity
08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
When that fan come up to him at camp the other day and asked him if he was Ryan Clark, and then when he said that he wasn't, the fan took his stuff and left to go see Ryan ...LOL, man that hurts!

MDSteel15
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM

LMAO!!! :clap:

RIVERS OF STEEL
08-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Yeah imagine fitz on the squad.

StlersGuy
08-04-2011, 05:31 PM
When that fan come up to him at camp the other day and asked him if he was Ryan Clark, and then when he said that he wasn't, the fan took his stuff and left to go see Ryan ...LOL, man that hurts!

Now that's funny right there

Scorp
08-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Just let her *** go. Drop her like a bad habit.

StlersGuy
08-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Just let her *** go. Drop her like a bad habit.

It's down between him and Batch for 3rd spot

BlitzburghRockCity
08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Dennis Dixon said Monday that he never asked the Steelers to trade him, nor will he. However, that doesn't mean the Steelers' reserve quarterback wouldn't welcome a trade with open arms. "It's not that I don't want to (be traded), but I've never (asked for) a trade before," Dixon said. Dixon wants to have a shot to compete for a starting quarterback spot, but he knows that there is not an opportunity in his current situation as the Steelers' No. 3 quarterback behind Ben Roethlisberger. There was a report last week that Dixon's agent, Jeff Sperbeck, asked the Steelers to trade his client. Dixon did not refute that report. "He was kind of frustrated as far as things not going our way during free agency," Dixon said. Dixon, 26, was a restricted free agent this past offseason, and the Steelers slapped a modest fifth-round tender on him before the lockout. After shopping himself around the league for a week, Dixon decided to sign the tender to return to the Steelers for a little more than a $1 million. "It is kind of tough to say right now," Dixon said when asked if he wants to be traded. "As long as I have a job, I am happy. I love Pittsburgh to death, but if anything else comes my way, I will be happy as well." Dixon will be an unrestricted free agent next year.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Dixon%20says%20he%20will%20never%20ask%20Steelers% 20to%20trade%20him%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_750623.html#ixzz1UYGsMr8H)