PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign 1st round pick Cameron Heyward

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Just announced a minute ago, they've agreed to terms with their #1 draft pick this year. A press conference and details to come this evening.

The Steelers have signed first-round draft pick Cameron Heyward.

Heyward, a defensive end from Ohio State, agreed to a four-year contract with a team option for a fifth year. Steelers will announce the signing at a 5:30 p.m news conference.

The Steelers have signed all of their draft picks except for Texas cornerback Curtis Brown, a third-round selection.

The 6-5, 288-pound Heyward was taken by the Steelers No. 31 overall last April.

LatrobePA
07-29-2011, 03:51 PM
f'n A!

Farrior Fan
07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Sweet, if Troy can stay healthy and Crezdon plays as well as I think he will - this D is gonna be EPIC

LatrobePA
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Keeping Troy healthy is almost impossible, kinda like telling Max to eat only one Twinkie!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Heyward, Keisel, Hood, Hampton, Smith.....Got to love that DL rotation...Ty Warren was cut by the Pats and I wouldn't mind him at all rotate with that DL......

K Train
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
if they wanted another end id want jamaal anderson, ive always wanted to see what he has as a 5 tech.

would love for al woods to find his way back here and play NT too

BlitzburghRockCity
With Hoke's status still up in the air, they could still make a move. I would say it's still a safe bet he will be resigned but if not that only leaves McClendon as the backup NT if Hampton goes down.

Imagine is Aaron Smith stays healthy this year, man that rotation would be sick. I can't wait to see Heyward in preseason.

K Train
wtf is taking so long with curtis brown? im annoyed

K Train
07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
With Hoke's status still up in the air, they could still make a move. I would say it's still a safe bet he will be resigned but if not that only leaves McClendon as the backup NT if Hampton goes down.

Imagine is Aaron Smith stays healthy this year, man that rotation would be sick. I can't wait to see Heyward in preseason.

i think hoke leaves and hood becomes the backup/3rd down NT

Rampage
07-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Good to see.

StlersGuy
07-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Just announced a minute ago, they've agreed to terms with their #1 draft pick this year. A press conference and details to come this evening.

:tt02::tt02::yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2011, 04:20 PM
i think hoke leaves and hood becomes the backup/3rd down NT

Couldn't Warren plays some NT as well?....I like Ty Warren and he has 3-4 experience.....Especially when Aaron Smith goes down again it would wise to have another vet DL......But I want to see a ton Heyward this year......

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 04:26 PM
I just think Hood's skills as a pass rusher make him better suited at end rather than a run stopping, block hogging NT like Casey is. In a pinch he could probably do alright but I think he get in the backfield on a regular basis the last half of the season and the playoffs, I'd hate to lose that.

I want to see a lot of Heyward too this year. Especially early on when it's hot as hell and the big guys get rotated in and out, he should get some pretty good snaps in. He's got a great motor and is really good against the run.

K Train
07-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Couldn't Warren plays some NT as well?....I like Ty Warren and he has 3-4 experience.....Especially when Aaron Smith goes down again it would wise to have another vet DL......But I want to see a ton Heyward this year......
warren has a lingering hip problem, i wouldnt touch him

I just think Hood's skills as a pass rusher make him better suited at end rather than a run stopping, block hogging NT like Casey is. In a pinch he could probably do alright but I think he get in the backfield on a regular basis the last half of the season and the playoffs, I'd hate to lose that.

I want to see a lot of Heyward too this year. Especially early on when it's hot as hell and the big guys get rotated in and out, he should get some pretty good snaps in. He's got a great motor and is really good against the run.

he wouldnt play like casey, but he would be able to command double teams in a different way. if casey takes a double team he allows the LBs to roam, when hood takes a double team hes probably collapsing the pocket himself...so it would be a tweak in the scheme but effective nonetheless. his best moments in college and as a pro are lined up over center...i hope they realize that soon

connecticutsteel
07-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Anthony Gray and Miguel Chavez are both NT

DanRooney
07-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Ziggy is staying at DE.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Some quotes from the press conference from Heyward:

Heyward: It's a challenge that I look forward too. It's a complex defense and I plan to make the most of it and continue to learn.

I'm anxious to put on a helmet and get on the field, I haven't put on helmet since January.

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Some quotes from the press conference from Heyward:

Heyward: It's a challenge that I look forward too. It's a complex defense and I plan to make the most of it and continue to learn.

I'm anxious to put on a helmet and get on the field, I haven't put on helmet since January.

Especially a Steelers helmet.:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 05:50 PM
He's a very well spoken young guy, and definitely excited to get out on the field and wants to waste no more time getting himself acclimated to the defense.

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I am excited for the noobs, it is a chance to do great things in a great franchise.

Real Deal Steel
07-30-2011, 12:51 AM
The Pass rush is looking good. Can only help the secondary.