PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release Flozell Adams

Big T
07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Per Ed Bouchette on twitter, Adams refused to take a pay cut to be the backup RT after Colon signed his new deal.

The Steelers this morning released veteran offensive tackle Flozell Adams, one day after coming to a contract agreement with Willie Colon.

Adams, 36, signed one year ago to play right tackle after an achilles injury ended the 2010 season for Colon, who started at right tackle the previous three years. Adams became the only member of the offensive line to start every game for the Steelers.
He was scheduled to make a $5 million salary this season and the Steelers wanted him to take less to become their No. 3 tackle. He declined and they released him. Adams hopes to hook on with another team.

K Train
07-29-2011, 10:19 AM
:-(

come on flo....play for what you did last season

cmerrifield
07-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Maybe we will use that money on a LT. That would be good. Lets sign Gaither to 5 years and with Gaither, Pouncey and Colon, we would have a decent line for years to come. Also, should have titled it "No mo Flo":lol:

connecticutsteel
07-29-2011, 10:46 AM
gaither signed with the raiders

cmerrifield
07-29-2011, 10:51 AM
gaither signed with the raiders

When? I havent seen any reports or anything official. I know they are talking, but I havent seen that he signed.

andyg1984
07-29-2011, 11:08 AM
damn .. guess this means Gilbert has even more of a chance to step up

connecticutsteel
07-29-2011, 11:14 AM
La Canfora Tweeted Gaither commited to the raiders

TampaSteelGirl
07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
:-(

come on flo....play for what you did last season

I know that's right!

I guess since he has a SB ring now he thinks he's worth more..they should payroll deduct all the offside penalities he cost us.. :dunno:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
I had a feeling he wasn't going to take a paycut, but I was hoping beyond hope he'd give it one last try for a ring before he retires. Well, unless he has a change of heart I guess it's Colon at RT and then LT is either Jonathan Scott or they take a chance and throw Marcus Gilbert into the fire.

K Train
07-29-2011, 11:55 AM
I know that's right!

I guess since he has a SB ring now he thinks he's worth more..they should payroll deduct all the offside penalities he cost us.. :dunno:

you know we lost the superbowl right? lol

TampaSteelGirl
07-29-2011, 12:22 PM
you know we lost the superbowl right? lol

OMG i just read what I wrote...guess my proof reading skills need some polishing..I meant a SB appearance.

Yes I remember :banging::evilshake::rant2::willybs:
Thanks for reminding me!!!

Rampage
07-29-2011, 12:35 PM
I want to see him back. With the OT troubles, I have to think this was just a move to get him under a healthier contract.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 01:38 PM
I want to see him back. With the OT troubles, I have to think this was just a move to get him under a healthier contract.

I would love to have him back too, perhaps after he has a day or 2 to think about it he'll reconsider. The problem with that is, he was ready to retire before the 2010 season. The Steelers talked him out of retirement because of the Colon injury and since we had a championship caliber team, he agreed to sign and try to get himself a ring before he hangs it up. Plus he said previously that he only wants to come back if he can be a starter and play for the same money he was contracted to play for.

Athletes can change their tune though so we'll see but I'm not holding my breath.

Rampage
07-29-2011, 01:40 PM
I would love to have him back too, perhaps after he has a day or 2 to think about it he'll reconsider. The problem with that is, he was ready to retire before the 2010 season. The Steelers talked him out of retirement because of the Colon injury and since we had a championship caliber team, he agreed to sign and try to get himself a ring before he hangs it up. Plus he said previously that he only wants to come back if he can be a starter and play for the same money he was contracted to play for.

Athletes can change their tune though so we'll see but I'm not holding my breath.

With his success at the RT position and the team's success in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back. He definitely had a bit of a resurgence, so I hope he considers a return.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 01:46 PM
With his success at the RT position and the team's success in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see him come back. He definitely had a bit of a resurgence, so I hope he considers a return.

Yeah was a bright spot at RT, had the Steelers not been able to sign him to a deal I don't know what they would have done at that position. He's such a force out there and he along with others on the OL has a real nasty streak on the field. You love seeing him get after the lineman and linebackers that try and undercut hit to get past. He still had the spark for sure and if he comes back I'm sure he'll be as able bodied as ever.

He did only finish 2 of the 100 yd sprints for the run test, but then again Hampton only did 3 I think. They aren't as over the top with the big huge guys as they are with the rest of the team in the run test anymore.

connecticutsteel
07-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Flozell is too old to play left tackle any more and we don't need a Rt tackle COLON so he won't reconsider

harpo
07-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Marcus Gilbert......opportunity is bangin' down your door. Please answer it! :tt02:

StlersGuy
07-29-2011, 04:14 PM
Seen this coming

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

coldrolled
07-29-2011, 04:22 PM
why cant we do this?????

Lombardi reported Thursday that Asomugha, widely considered the top player available in free agency, could land a contract in the range of $12 million to $14 million per season from the Texans. That would have made Asomugha the NFL’s highest-paid cornerback, eclipsing the average annual salary of the four-year, $46 million deal that Darrelle Revis signed with the Jets last offseason.

It is widely believed that the Jets would not be able to compete with that kind of offer, but Lombardi suggested that some Jets players — likely offensive linemen Nick Mangold and D’Brickashaw Ferguson and possibly even Revis — could restructure their contracts to make room for Asomugha to join the team.

Other than their pursuit of Asomugha, the Jets have been relatively quiet in a frenzied free-agency period. The Jets been telling free agents they can’t do anything else until Asomugha makes a decision, Lombardi reports.

Big T
07-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Release Aaron Smith (or restructure his deal), sign Nnamdi :yesnod:

Zachintosh66
07-29-2011, 05:43 PM
not a surprise, we knew this was gonna happen when we signed him last year.

unfortunatley, they will prolly bring back straks for less $