PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin calls Harrison's remarks "inappropriate"

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he has talked to James Harrison about comments the outside linebacker made to Men's Journal earlier this month.

"What he said regarding the commissioner (Roger Goodell) is inappropriate," Tomlin said today at his opening news conference of training camp.

Tomlin said the Steelers have not talked about whether they will discipline Harrison, who also took shots at quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and running back Rashard Mendenhall.

His teammates shrugged off Harrison's incendiary remarks and said they will not cause a problem in the Steelers' locker room.

"He's not worried about y'all anyway," free safety Ryan Clark said to reporters, "or the perception that people have of him. He's a great teammate. I wouldn't rather go to war with any other guy. That's over."

From the Trib (tomlin:%20Harrison%20remarks%20about%20Goodell%20 %27inappropriate%27%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_748906.html#ixzz1TSY4VulK)
Judging by those comments and the fact that we've nothing since it happened during the lockout and up until now I would be surprised if anything else is done. It's water under the bridge, nobody cares anymore. The players aren't phased by it.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm still phased by it and James Harrison has to use his head.......He already has a huge target on his back....Now that target will be even bigger....I'm sure Furher has sent memos to his storm troopers (NFL officials) to make an example out of James Harrison even more this season...I expect more fines then last year and now he will be suspended for repeat offenses.......

Real Deal Steel
07-28-2011, 11:25 PM
I understand and appreciate Tomlin's position..............but he's wrong.

Goodall is an out of control Tyrant. And someone has to say something. Goodall singled out Harrison first...not the other way around. So it might as well be Harrison to take on the Darth Vader of the league.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Harrison's target will indeed be bigger this year. Nobody in the NFL will ever admit to it but he will have a target on him the rest of his career.

He won't change the way he plays or talks, it's just how he is. He is his own man, for better or worse.

— From BRC's Droid X of Awesomeness

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Tomlin made to say that. It's a pc world don't ya know. Harrison is the man. Goodbell is a real prick and someone told the world that.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Harrison's target will indeed be bigger this year. Nobody in the NFL will ever admit to it but he will have a target on him the rest of his career.

He won't change the way he plays or talks, it's just how he is. He is his own man, for better or worse.

— From BRC's Droid X of Awesomeness

I don't want him to change the way he plays.......But the comments he made in that article made him sound ignorant......I hate Goodell as much as anybody but man calling him a f#ggot really doesn't solve anything at all and just makes things worse for James....More important things worse for his defensive teammates......Calling out his starting QB and RB was also dumb....It would have warrant if Harrison himself actually did something in the Super Bowl...Before somebody uses the injury card for Harrison....Ben was banged up all year and it was a miracle he even started the Super Bowl......

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm not saying his comments were appropriate, I think it's a safe bet that we can all agree that he shouldn't have said those things outloud. Even if most people feel a similar way about Goodell they will generally keep those comments either to themselves or atleast to their circle of friends.

I just mean that for as long as he's in the league he's going to these types of things so we should be used to it by now. Maybe not used to hearing a player call the Commish the devil, or F&%$%t or something like that, but just used to realizing by now that's how he is. When Harrison you take the good with the questionable, and with the questionable comes things like this.

The main thing that worries me is the target on his back is going to be even bigger than before this year. If he even looks at an official funny they are going to toss the flag..which could get really ugly.

StlersGuy
07-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Sometimes the best thing to do is keep your mouth shut and James needs to learn that.

andyg1984
07-29-2011, 10:11 AM
i dont really buy into harrison not caring what other people think .. he feeds off of anger, which is a result of caring about something

Blazedby92
07-29-2011, 10:41 AM
The other side of it was it's ALL TRUE, maybe he shouldn't have aired it out but hey each their own, Ben is arrogant and probably needs a slap in the face every now and again and Mendy well don't fumble and it's forgotten, James gives 110 all day that I can see and i'm sure he won't be much after his career other than Godells poster child for his new rules so the SB and what little left of his career is all he will ever have so i'm sure he was a little pissed after they lost, remember the interveiw was not long after the SB and James doesn't talk to media anyways so that tells me he needed to vent just didn't do it the right way.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Art Rooney II said today that the team will not self discipline Harrison about the comments. So if anything does happen it will come from the NFL itself.

LarryNJ
07-29-2011, 12:09 PM
I understand and appreciate Tomlin's position..............but he's wrong.

He's not wrong at all. He addressed it like he should as the boss and now he wants to move on. Handled exactly like it should have been.

Rampage
07-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Gee, I'm sure Harrison was rattled by this and will never spout off again.

LarryNJ
07-29-2011, 12:20 PM

:lol:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6815653/pittsburgh-steelers-james-harrison-publicly-apologizes-roger-goodell

The interview that I did and the comments that I made about Roger Goodell were inappropriate, at the least. They were way out of line, and I was speaking out of anger and frustration at the time.

-- Steelers' James Harris

Rampage
07-29-2011, 12:29 PM
:lol:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6815653/pittsburgh-steelers-james-harrison-publicly-apologizes-roger-goodell

One QB sack fine and he'll be singing to a different tune.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM

Yeah, and I have some beach front property in Colorado to sell everyone..LOL.

Harrison will be who he is, he won't change his play style or his attitude at all. It's his personality and who he is.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2011, 03:59 PM
I have no problem with the way Harrison plays the game.....I don't want him to change that at all....I also think he is entitled to his opinions....He can be critical of Furher Goodell but calling him a f$ggot........Its not just Harrison but these African-American athletes like to throw the gay slur around to much these days....I'm sure they would be pissed if somebody threw the N-word around.....

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Oh I'm sure he would, especially if someone tried to call him some name to his face. He wears his emotions on his shirt sleeve and will say what he wants, when he wants. I will say, he's about as mean and tough a linebacker as you can get in the NFL, bar none. He follows a long tradition of mean linebackers in the Steelers but I'd venture a guess that you could say he's the meanest of the mean and the toughest of the tough, and that's saying something.

The front office knows they'll have more damage control to do before Harrison finishes his career, that's inevitable, LOL.

Thisoneguy555
07-29-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't know why anyone cares. Probably because of how well known Harrison is. You know everyone was thinking the same thing he said about Goodell. But neither Mendy or Ben cared about what he said, showing that they know him and know his sense of humor, or just don't care what he thinks. Either way, no one should care in my opinion.

steelersbabex25
07-30-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't know why anyone cares. Probably because of how well known Harrison is. You know everyone was thinking the same thing he said about Goodell. But neither Mendy or Ben cared about what he said, showing that they know him and know his sense of humor, or just don't care what he thinks. Either way, no one should care in my opinion.

:duh: The point isn't that "nobody should care," because many people do care regardless of whether you think they should or not.