PDA

View Full Version : Colon signs 5 yrs $29 Million with Steelers, Jonathan Scott also signed.

tburg68
07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
As tweeted by @JasonLaCanfora

Colon turns down extra $3 million to stay with Steelers

Thursday, July 28, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Before he could jump in the shower and head to Latrobe, offensive tackle Willie Colon was jumping for joy after agreeing to a five-year contract with the Steelers for $29 million this evening.

"I'm happy ... I could not see leaving," Colon said. "My happiness is in that room and with coach [Sean] Kugler.''

That room would be the one where line coach Sean Kugler gathers together his players for meetings, and they will be rejoined by another key member. Jonathan Scott, who started at left tackle after Max Starks' neck injury last November, also came to terms with the team this evening on a two-year contract.

Colon, who missed last season with an achilles injury after starting the previous three years at right tackle, said he accepted $3 million less over the life of the contract from the Steelers than what the Chicago Bears had offered him to join them.
"I know what I got in that room and on that team," Colon explained. "My happiness means more to me."

It remains to be seen what now will become of 36-year-old tackle Flozell Adams, who reported to training camp on time. He has a $5 million salary and the Steelers would like to reduce that. Adams signed last summer and took over at right tackle for Colon, whose achilles was ruptured in June. Colon likely will be returned to start at right tackle.

At 36, it's doubtful the Steelers would move Adams to left tackle.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163623-100.stm#ixzz1TS87iNPK)

Big T
07-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Not bad.

SteelCurtainYinzer
07-28-2011, 07:52 PM
I am sure that we will find out that Ben has restructured his contract to make sure this happened.
Why wouldn't he? Willie is one of his best football friends...

SteelDad
07-28-2011, 07:54 PM
I am sure that we will find out that Ben has restructured his contract to make sure this happened.
Why wouldn't he? Willie is one of his best football friends...

Hard to argue with that fact...

Ultimately I think the FO looked at the neck problems of Max and the fact he reportedly was at or near 400lbs and decided Willie, with an achilles injury was a much better risk.

Rampage
07-28-2011, 08:07 PM
That actually isn't a bad contract. I haven't been overly impressed by him, but I can deal with that kind of money. Now, does the team also resign Flo and move Colon in to guard? I don't think he is left tackle material, so I am figuring RT and RG are where he'll be stationed.

jpele
07-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Steelers | Willie Colon agrees to five-year deal
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:33:39 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed on terms to re-sign OL Willie Colon. He will receive a five-year, $29 million deal.

Steelers | Jonathan Scott agrees to terms
Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:01:11 -0700

The Pittsburgh Steelers have agreed to terms with free-agent OT Jonathan Scott (Steelers) on a two-year deal. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1TRiDUxf8

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Ok....still a big hole at LT.....I guess I have to live with Colon at RT

K Train
07-28-2011, 09:11 PM
im saying they redo flos contract and try colon at guard....i think it happens

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 09:26 PM
im saying they redo flos contract and try colon at guard....i think it happens

We have been talking about Colon switching to OG for years now....I'm not holding my breath.....I give it 15% Colon starts at RG this year....I'm not happy about him resigning but I hope he stays healthy and holds the fort down at RT......Who is going to start at LT is the big question now? Jon Scott is terrible........:lol:

LatrobePA
07-28-2011, 09:39 PM
We need a badass LT...

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 09:40 PM
We need a badass LT...

good luck finding one......We need somebody better then Jon Scott for sure....lol

Big T
07-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Isn't Jared Gaither still available? The Front Office should be talking to him.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Isn't Jared Gaither still available? The Front Office should be talking to him.

A couple damn good LT's are still out there....Steelers need to sign somebody.....I don't think Colon is a candidate for LT at all.....

K Train
07-28-2011, 09:53 PM
We have been talking about Colon switching to OG for years now....I'm not holding my breath.....I give it 15% Colon starts at RG this year....I'm not happy about him resigning but I hope he stays healthy and holds the fort down at RT......Who is going to start at LT is the big question now? Jon Scott is terrible........:lol:

theres actually been talk about it this time though by both tomlin and colon...its not just us saying what makes pretty good sense anymore lol

K Train
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
A couple damn good LT's are still out there....Steelers need to sign somebody.....I don't think Colon is a candidate for LT at all.....

gaither would be the man in this offense.

other than that theres jamaal brown, not really our style

Stlrs4Life
07-28-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163623-100.stm

Rampage
07-28-2011, 10:27 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11209/1163623-100.stm

That's pretty cool.

Real Deal Steel
07-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Regardless, we still need to add depth for the line. But I definitely like the direction we are going in.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2011, 12:52 AM
gaither would be the man in this offense.

other than that theres jamaal brown, not really our style

Gaither or Brown would be fine......there is one out there but his name slips my mind right now......

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 01:20 AM
This presents a real issue potentially if they don't find another quality LT out there. Colon figures to be a RT again now. I just don't know why they couldn't ask Flozell to move back to LT. It's not like it all wouldn't come back to him if he works on it in camp.

There's still a slim chance that Starks comes back according to the PG.

-From BRC's Droid X of Awesomeness

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-29-2011, 01:26 AM
Good signing,he will help the line. It is also refreshing to see somebody sign for less to remain part of a "team", showing some loyalty to the team is rare these days.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 08:34 PM
I agree, you don't see players giving a home town discount much anymore. Colon has said all along that he wants to come back and he proved it by leaving an extra 3 million on the table with the Bears. So the RT position is secured, now it's time to figure out the LT spot.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2011, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't say its secured....Still could use an upgrade but I guess I have to live with Colon...lol

Callax
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I don't think he was ever a great RT or even a good RT

I think Pitt overpaid for him, like they did with Starks for 2 years making him a franchaise player and giving him 15 million... MASSIVE FINANCIAL ERROR

Dobre Shunka
07-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Good sign. Gilbert, PnP.