PDA

View Full Version : Is the timetable for Marcus Gilbert now elevated?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 09:44 AM
The shocker that came down today with the release of Max Starks has put the Steelers in a position now of scrambling to find Tackles to even get on the roster let alone play in 2011.

Marcus Gilbert, the 2nd round pick out of Florida, could now be put into a position where he needs to be in the mix as a starter on either side. Gilbert has played both LT and RT at Florida, so in theory he could on either side. Sean Kugler initially said that they will prepare him to play on both sides, which is typical for the Steelers since they love versatile offensive lineman. The question is, will he be ready, does this move by the team elevate his timetable to where they will count on him to be a starter?

They can also put Flozell back over at LT and then see if Gilbert could be ready on the RT position. Then you add Colon into the mix if they can sign him.

It's not like teams don't ever start rookies at the Tackle position, and Gilbert was a second round pick so he's certainly capable you would think. You'd rather not have this situation occur but regardless of what other moves the team does in the coming week it's a possibility that Gilbert could be on the field in early September.

K Train
07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
No, like i said in the other thread, i expect starks to be back...after the transisiton and franchise tags and long term deal hes made way to much money for an average at best LT, getting his cap hit down is brilliant on the steelers part. especially given his back and neck problems.

rookie LTs have been good before so who knows, i just hope its not jonathan scott

shoulda snagged gaither, hes only 25....damn. bushrod and jamaal brown are still out there

harpo
07-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I think he's going to see some significant playing time....on both sides. With Starks coming off a neck injury, there has to be some concern. Flozell is not 25 anymore and Colon is, well...Colon...lol.

I think Gilbert is going to do just fine. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does in the pre-season games.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't think they'll pin their hopes at either Tackle position on Gilbert, for 2010, either. It is interesting to think about though because if Colon doesn't come back you're left with Jonathan Scott (who isn't signed either as of right now) and then Gilbert and Flozell.

You don't get drafted in the 2nd round because you're a project years in the making, so in that sense it's conceivable that Gilbert "could" be forced into duty this year.

It is entirely possible that Starks could be back for less money, and Art Rooney II eluded to that in a tweet earlier this morning, but it's not a guarantee.

harpo
07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
You don't get drafted in the 2nd round because you're a project years in the making, so in that sense it's conceivable that Gilbert "could" be forced into duty this year.

That's why I was saying that I expect him to get significant playing time this year.....possibly on both sides.

K Train
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
im not opposed to gilbert being thrown into the mix, as a second round pick hes got a lot of living up to his draft status to do. i just hope they dont automatically give it to scott cause gilbert is a rookie, if gilbert is better let the man play

harpo
07-28-2011, 10:28 AM
im not opposed to gilbert being thrown into the mix, as a second round pick hes got a lot of living up to his draft status to do. i just hope they dont automatically give it to scott cause gilbert is a rookie, if gilbert is better let the man play

I couldn't agree more....:yellowthumb:

Mike Tomlin
07-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Don't worry Sean gets everything out of his tackles. Look at his track record, he created Ryan Clady while he was the line coach at Boise st.Then he coached Jason Peters up as a rookie and made him one of the best in the game. Hell even look at Pouncey Last year or our line as a whole last year. When we got him from Buffalo I said he was the most important signing that year. Right now that's how I feel about Carnell Lake.

Rampage
07-28-2011, 01:18 PM
I think this does pressure Marcus Gilbert. I am very confident in Kugler's ability to coach him up, but I am not sure if he'll be ready to play LT right away. That leaves the team with Scott, Hills and Roethlisberger's old Lazy Boy from his college days to protect the left side.

K Train
07-28-2011, 01:44 PM
"ready to play on the left" is such an overrated thing now days...hes gonna have growing pains but most likely if hes ever gonna be capable of playing on the left hes probably capable now. some guys are left side material, some guys arent....that doesnt really change imo, sometimes you can ease a guy into that role by putting him on the right, but that wont be the case with gilbert but its actually not the case with a lot of LTs that are drafted in the first 2 rounds...throwing them to the wolves could either be great or detrimental.

id take a rookie gilbert at LT over trai essex, tony hills, jonathna scott, chris scott, flozell adams, and willie colon any day. see what hes got, it could be interesting. id be hoping at best hed be marcus mcneil (awesome rookie year) and at worst he'll be jonathan scott who lets face it, what you see is what you get theres not much untapped potential there

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 01:53 PM
"ready to play on the left" is such an overrated thing now days...hes gonna have growing pains but most likely if hes ever gonna be capable of playing on the left hes probably capable now. some guys are left side material, some guys arent....that doesnt really change imo, sometimes you can ease a guy into that role by putting him on the right, but that wont be the case with gilbert but its actually not the case with a lot of LTs that are drafted in the first 2 rounds...throwing them to the wolves could either be great or detrimental.

id take a rookie gilbert at LT over trai essex, tony hills, jonathna scott, chris scott, flozell adams, and willie colon any day. see what hes got, it could be interesting. id be hoping at best hed be marcus mcneil (awesome rookie year) and at worst he'll be jonathan scott who lets face it, what you see is what you get theres not much untapped potential there

Ok I can see taking Gilbert over Essex or Hills...maybe even Scott, although people keep ragging on Scott and the dude played a seriously solid game the last month or so of the regular season and the playoffs. He's not a pro bowler or anything but he's not as bad as people keep making him out to be.

I wouldn't take him over Flozell right now. Him playing opposite Adams on the other side, now that has possibilities. Colon is still in the mix though, no word on when a deal will get done but they are in serious talks.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 01:55 PM

I agree if Gilbert proves he is better then start him......We all know what Jonathan Scott is.....terrible....lol I think the Steelers make some kind of move to bring in a vet OT who has experience playing LT.....You can't go into the season with Jonathan Scott your top LT....lol

K Train
07-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Ok I can see taking Gilbert over Essex or Hills...maybe even Scott, although people keep ragging on Scott and the dude played a seriously solid game the last month or so of the regular season and the playoffs. He's not a pro bowler or anything but he's not as bad as people keep making him out to be.

I wouldn't take him over Flozell right now. Him playing opposite Adams on the other side, now that has possibilities. Colon is still in the mix though, no word on when a deal will get done but they are in serious talks.

i mean at LT, i want no part of flo at LT....RT im on board 100% with flo

and sorry but scott and kemo on the left side is just as terrible as hartwig and stapleton on the inside....ive moved on from that chapter in my life lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
There wasn't much worse in the NFL than Hartwig at Stapleton playing on the offensive line. Give the dude, Scott, some credit for playing his tail off and being forced into duty when Starks went down. He struggled big time early on, he drove me nuts just like everyone else, but he did step up and improve as the year went on.

If Colon comes back, he's no LT, so then do you stick Gilbert in at LT and allow him to go through that learning curve while Ben gets crushed? Or do you stick Flozell back at LT and Colon at RT where you atleast have a chance to keep your QB somewhat in one piece? LOL

K Train
07-28-2011, 02:20 PM
i dont think flo would be anymore effective at LT than scott or gilbert...hes just too old and has lost that step that its noticable. hes the prototype RT even at his age though, i dont care how old he is now....him vs. anyone in the run game its all over once flo gets his hands on them

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 11:35 AM
This becomes more of a bigger question now with Flozell released. There is still a possibility that they bring back Max Starks for a lesser amount, and I think now they really start to make that a higher priority.

If they can't, it's not out of the realm of possibility that Gilbert will get a shot to start. In the end it's probably not going to happen but you never know with injuries and personnel these days in the new NFL.

K Train
07-29-2011, 11:38 AM
regardless i wouldnt be surprised to see him take the field eventually this season....at either tackle or guard spot

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2011, 11:40 AM
Gilbert is going to play this year.....I can't a 2nd round OL sitting on the bench all season.....

Rampage
07-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Gilbert is going to play this year.....I can't a 2nd round OL sitting on the bench all season.....

Especially with such a lack of depth.