PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to release Max Starks...Willie Colon now a top priority.

Big T
07-28-2011, 12:42 AM
The Steelers have a brand new problem on their offensive line. *They need a left tackle.

Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com reports the team surprisingly let Starks know they are cutting him on Wednesday.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette mentioned via Twitter on Wednesday night that Starks’ weight was in the high 300′s. * He was coming off neck surgery. *(Okay, maybe this shouldn’t have been a huge shock.)

We’ve heard the Steelers want to bring back Willie Colon, and this move seems to make that move almost a necessity. *Johnathan Scott’s role also figures to increase.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/27/max-starks-released-by-steelers/

It frees up some cap but I sure as hell hope the front office has a plan...One that doesnt include giving the job to Jonathan Scott. They better sign someone.

--- Added 7/27/2011 at 10:42 PM ---

Jared Gaither?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Jason LaCanfora is also tweeting this same news now...

This comes as a huge shock. Last time we saw Starks was on Dancing with the Stars when he was supporting Hines. He seemed fine from what I could tell. If this holds true, then there could be a battle at LT between Jonathan Scott and Willie Colon, assuming they can bring back both players. This gives Colon especially a lot more leverage now.

There are also a few different scenarios in play here. They could be releasing him to resign him at a lower cost. If they do let him go completely, Flozell could go back to LT and then they sign Colon to take over at RT again. And of course there is Scott, if he comes back then he is in the mix.

The Steelers would not be cutting Starks because of his weight. If they can stand behind Casey Hampton when he reported to camp overweight, they would stand behind Starks. This is clearly a move to free up money, and with Starks' high cap value, it makes sense from that perspective.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Let's not forget, Scott was pretty bad early on last year but as the year went on he found his groove and ended up finishing off the year as a pretty solid LT. He held his own in the playoffs for the most part and showed some real promise late in the regular season. I'm not saying I'd be totally happy with him as our starting Tackle protecting Ben's blind side all year, but I am saying he did improve with experience during 2010.

connecticutsteel
07-28-2011, 01:16 AM
I hope they are not pinning there hopes on Marcus Gilbert . But big Flozell can play LT if needed but it would seem to me if J Scott is installed Ashley better have life insurance on ben cause he's dead

--- Added 7/27/2011 at 11:16 PM ---

they have to clear cap space for plax and J Joseph

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 01:25 AM
I hope they are not pinning there hopes on Marcus Gilbert . But big Flozell can play LT if needed but it would seem to me if J Scott is installed Ashley better have life insurance on ben cause he's dead

We haven't heard of any real cap saving moves until now. This move, if it holds up, will go a long way to accomplishing the goal of getting under just to try and sign the rest of the players they have, including draft picks.

They won't pin their hopes on Gilbert for 2011, but they will be looking for him to step into a starting role in 2012. Which, IMO, was the plan all along.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 01:56 AM
Jonathan Scott at LT...no thanks....Willie Colon at LT......no thanks......The Steelers better sign somebody with no Starks on the roster.....

Big T
07-28-2011, 02:35 AM

Johnathan Joseph is a pipe dream. He'll be way too expensive and it's not how the Steelers do things unfortunately.

cmerrifield
07-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Dont forget we have Hills :lol:

I hope that J. Scott and Colon and Flo arent what the Steelers have in mind. Tomlin is a good coach in the motivating players sense, but sometimes I think he is unreasonable. For example, he always says there shouldnt be any drop off with backups. I think sometimes he forgets that there are just flat out better players and we need a good LT if for no other reason then we play Suggs twice a year.

Blazedby92
07-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Scott is a joke even in the playoffs and Colon at LT is even funnier WOW is all I can say fast forward to Gilbert.
Suggs is a BEOTCH unless he goes up against our LT's and still when you have to double Ngata it leaves a void for Thuggs to expose

coldrolled
07-28-2011, 09:02 AM
We dont run much to the left. Starks run blocking? He has a bad neck. He is not elite.

We let him go and sign him back for less. noone else will sign him.

TampaSteelGirl
07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Jonathan Scott at LT...no thanks....Willie Colon at LT......no thanks......The Steelers better sign somebody with no Starks on the roster.....

I agree Dan...:yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
07-28-2011, 09:25 AM
Starks has been an up and down turdball, see ya...You would think he of all lineman would of been chomping at the bit to get back out there...

Now lets hope BA reports to camp overweight! hahahaha

TampaSteelGirl
07-28-2011, 09:42 AM
Starks has been an up and down turdball, see ya...You would think he of all lineman would of been chomping at the bit to get back out there...

Now lets hope BA reports to camp overweight! hahahaha

Im just hoping Big Snack isn't as big as a house reporting to camp.....:thud:

MattyVfromCT
07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

He has a weight claus in his contract so I highly doubt he'll show up overweight and out of shape

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
07-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Let's hope not, that would not be good..

coldrolled
07-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Scott is a joke even in the playoffs and Colon at LT is even funnier WOW is all I can say fast forward to Gilbert.
Suggs is a BEOTCH unless he goes up against our LT's and still when you have to double Ngata it leaves a void for Thuggs to expose

now with the pats we get to deal with haynesworth and wilfork.. just for fun...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 10:09 AM
It's official now, just saw some tweets come through from the official Steelers twitter and also on DVE.

Art Rooney II on Max Starks: "He could wind up back on the roster. But for now we're gonna have to get through the salary cap without him."

We have released Max Starks and Antwaan Randle El

harpo
07-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Art Rooney II on Max Starks: "He could wind up back on the roster. But for now we're gonna have to get through the salary cap without him."

That was my initial thought once I heard he was released. It makes sense to cut him and then sign him for less. They don't have a 'clear-cut' replacement for him. I expect him to be back.

K Train
07-28-2011, 10:45 AM
im happy to hear they want to bring colon back, ill never understand why anyone wouldnt be...mendenhall loves running behind colon and colon has been a top 10 RT before and could be a top 5 guard imo.

I REALLY hope they arent gonna do any of the following tho:

1. Play Colon at LT just cause starks was able to move from right to left
2. Play flo at LT because theres no way he can pull that off at this poing in his career
3. Go into camp wanting Scott (who i ****ing HATE) and gilbert battle it out, cause that would suck

I hope they bring starks back at a major discount...starks owes it to them, hes been making an obscene amount of money for like 5 years now

EDIT: Yikes, starks weighing 400 pounds...maybe they wont bring him back in

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Max Starks just tweeted:

To all of #SteelersNation thank you so much for all your support throughout my career as a Steeler. I will always be a part of pittsburgh, And you as fans have always given support, on and off the field. We had some great memories, a couple trophies along the way! Thank you...

That doesn't sound like a guy who's planning on getting resigned after being cut.

K Train
07-28-2011, 11:12 AM
well theres obviously some uncertainty but i think theres a chance...if hes really around 400 pounds i dont even want him though

LatrobePA
Max Starks just tweeted:

That doesn't sound like a guy who's planning on getting resigned after being cut.

Sure doesn't...Have fun finding your weiner starks, I really thought he'd be back and ready to compete.

harpo

No, it doesn't...lol.

Will they (as K Train suggests) now go after Brown or Bushrod?

Marcus Gilbert, opportunity is knocking at your door. :yellowthumb::tt02:

LatrobePA
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
I have faith in the new line coach to get someone plugged in and that will compete.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 11:37 AM
well theres obviously some uncertainty but i think theres a chance...if hes really around 400 pounds i dont even want him though

The reports that I've seen so far ranged from high 300's to nearly 400 lbs. Either way though the Starks camp (his agent) just tweeted that he is not coming back. So it looks like his time is done.

I'll miss him, he was a good guy, a great team player, and really came a long way in his career since coming out of Florida.

TampaSteelGirl
07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh snap! If Starks is almost 400lbs...i can imagine how much Hampton weights!! Please tell me Casey has been working out offseason?????? Anyone?

steelersgal86
07-28-2011, 11:50 AM
The reports that I've seen so far ranged from high 300's to nearly 400 lbs. Either way though the Starks camp (his agent) just tweeted that he is not coming back. So it looks like his time is done.

I'll miss him, he was a good guy, a great team player, and really came a long way in his career since coming out of Florida.

Wow...nearly 400 lbs...that is crazy... he is a great team player he will be missed

harpo
07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
"Nosetackle Casey Hampton had been continuing his longtime offseason ritual of eating everything in sight, but he has cut back significantly since the lockout. He prudently pointed out that prices for hamburgers have risen 19% since his rookie year."

LOL....these are just jokes, but i couldn't resist.

SOURCE:

How The Steelers Are Spending The Lockout (http://brokencigars.com/2011/03/how-the-steelers-are-spending-the-lockout/)

tburg68
07-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh snap! If Starks is almost 400lbs...i can imagine how much Hampton weights!! Please tell me Casey has been working out offseason?????? Anyone?

Why would one have anything to do with the other?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
I can still remember when Starks started to get on the field, he played the 3rd TE in a jumbo package on the goal line. He was never the most mobile Tackle in the league, but he did improve his footwork and become a very solid Tackle. That debacle with his contract a couple years ago was one of the bigger blunders the Steelers front office has ever had. He got soooo much money so quickly it wasn't even funny.

Rampage
07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
I like Starks. He's not elite, but it's one of those "if not him, who else" scenarios. I hated on Scott last season, but I have to admit he improved by the end of the year. I wouldn't want him as a starter, but I wouldn't mind seeing him back on the roster as a backup (better than Hills, apparently).

Colon isn't going to play LT, Adams is more viable as a RT and that leaves the rookie, Marcus Gilbert, a backup, Jonathan Scott, and a project, Tony Hills. The team is either very confident in one of these players or just completely lacking in confidence for Starks. Either way, LT is now a glaring need. Hopefully someone on the roster can pull through, otherwise the team will have to pursue someone else.

My initial thought was, "oh they're just cutting him to restructure," but if he is way overweight, that doesn't sound like it will happen. Definitely a shame.

cmerrifield
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Maybe with him so overweight they knew he wouldnt pass another teams physical and would not get signed elsewhere, making a lower deal possible?

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Update from the Post Gazette

Max Starks, released by the Steelers earlier today to help create salary cap room, could be re-signed by them before the end of training camp, sources told the Post-Gazette.

Starks, who has has been a starter at tackle since his second season in 2005, counted more than $7 million on their salary cap, which was estimated to be more than $10 million above the limit this year. He started the past three seasons at left tackle on offense following two years at right tackle.

However, his season ended last November when he required neck surgery and he has had trouble getting his weight down this year.

The Steelers started their first day of training camp by releasing Starks and veteran wide receiver Antwaan Randle El.

Randle El left the Steelers as a free agent after the 2005 season but returned last season. He was quickly surpassed as their No. 3 receiver by rookie Emmanuel Sanders and then bypassed as No. 4 by rookie Antonioe Brown. He caught 22 passes last season and completed two pass attempts, both for touchdowns.

igor0190
07-31-2011, 10:18 PM
I was looking through Max Stark's Twitter to see if he was saying anything about getting back in shape and playing football this year with the Steelers or elsewhere. The only think I found of interest was that someone tweeted him on July 30 saying:

"Just saw @maxstarks78 at the Cheesecake Factory"

For a guy that reported to camp overweight, costing him millions of dollars and letting down his teammates... You'd figure he would be eating egg whites and doing three cardio sessions a day for the the next few weeks to cut the weight.

I understand the Cheesecake Factory is damn good, but c'mon Max.

LatrobePA
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Sign him:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/02/vikings-release-longtime-lt-mckinnie/?module=HP11_headline_stack

BlitzburghRockCity
08-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Seems to be the consensus now that the Starks release wasn't so much of a weight issue as much as it was a cap problem. I did hear that he was overweight but nobody has been able to officially confirm how big he was/is. Rumors had him around 380-400 lbs. Still though, having either him or Flozell back should still be a pretty high priority for this team..if for nothing else than a depth perspective since essentially there is none at the moment.

connecticutsteel
08-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Starks is very possible . Flozell on the other hand won't take a pay cut and he wants to start both of which are not gonna happen

K Train
08-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Sign him:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/02/vikings-release-longtime-lt-mckinnie/?module=HP11_headline_stack

no thanks, ill pass on mckinnie

LatrobePA
08-02-2011, 06:57 PM
no thanks, ill pass on mckinnie

Is he a turd?

Rampage
08-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Is he a turd?

Swinging gate. Didn't Minnesota bench him multiple times last season?

LatrobePA
08-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Crap I thought he was decent..

K Train
08-02-2011, 11:35 PM
he really could have/should have been great. hes was decent but never lived up to his potential, and i dont want ben to go out like favre 14 years early

Thisoneguy555
08-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Starks was good, but I think he wanted too much money. At his skill, he really should be around 3-5 million a year, but he wants over 8.

connecticutsteel
08-03-2011, 06:40 AM
He will sign somewhere for 3 to 5 million or retire we don't really know what the nature of his neck injury was last year