PDA

View Full Version : Steelers reportedly showing interest in Plaxico Burress

Big T
07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Per Chris Mortenson

It appears likely that Plaxico Burress will be playing for one of his two former teams, the New York Giants or the Pittsburgh Steelers, according to team and league sources.

After a dinner with Giants coach Tom Coughlin on Friday night, Burress plans to fly to Pittsburgh to meet with coach Mike Tomlin, sources said.

Sources believe only a productive, fence-mending meeting between Burress and Coughlin stands between the wide receiver rejoining the Giants and making more than $10 million over two years.

However, Tomlin expects to make his own strong sales pitch for Burress to join the Steelers, who made him a first-round draft choice out of Michigan State in 2000, sources added.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6809115/plaxico-burress-likely-new-york-giants-pittsburgh-steelers

I know that WR really isnt a huge need, but personally I'd love to see him back.

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
I think this would be a big mistake...prison did not humble him at all. We are blending well as a team and I just think he would be damaging...Just my opinion.

PsychoWard
07-27-2011, 04:16 PM
Bring him on!!! Ben has been asking for a tall wr since Plax left in the first place! Sweed has been a bust so what the hell! I am sure we can get him pretty cheap since he hasn't played in two years. can you imagine wallace and plax at 1 and 2 and ward in the slot! not to mention sanders and brown! I think that would make for a sick core!!!

Rampage
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Honestly, I would rather see Sweed get another shot. He supposedly looked great in camp last year; I'd love to see if he can do it on the field.

Big T
07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
I think this would be a big mistake...prison did not humble him at all. We are blending well as a team and I just think he would be damaging...Just my opinion.

How can you possibly know that? I've heard good things since he's been out.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Burress is not going to command a ton of money. He's fresh out of jail and hasn't played in what, 2 years now? If he comes at a fair price, why not bring him on board. Having a monster target like him to compliment our starting 4, and Heath Miller... sure why not if you ask me!

PsychoWard
07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Burress is not going to command a ton of money. He's fresh out of jail and hasn't played in what, 2 years now? If he comes at a fair price, why not bring him on board. Having a monster target like him to compliment our starting 4, and Heath Miller... sure why not if you ask me!

I agree, if we can get him at the right price i think that would be huge, with him and wallce the oppertunities would be endless in spreading the field!

Big T
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Honestly, I would rather see Sweed get another shot. He supposedly looked great in camp last year; I'd love to see if he can do it on the field.

We had 6 WRs last season, why can't we do it again? Cut Battle and El, since they are both worthless, use that freed up cap space to sign Burress, and if Sweed shows anything in camp (I still have faith lol), keep him as the 6th WR. Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown, Burress, and Sweed. I like it lol.

LatrobePA
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Corner first please...

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 04:24 PM
How can you possibly know that? I've heard good things since he's been out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/16/plaxico-says-his-legal-troubles-were-blown-out-of-proportion/

This article is kind of what I mean.....he just needed to shush. I haven't heard anything else since but this article kind of rubbed me the wrong way. now he did say he was accountable but.....

I still have a bad taste in my mouth the way he left the Steelers and things he said.

PsychoWard
07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
We had 6 WRs last season, why can't we do it again? Cut Battle and El, since they are both worthless, use that freed up cap space to sign Burress, and if Sweed shows anything in camp (I still have faith lol), keep him as the 6th WR. Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown, Burress, and Sweed. I like it lol.

Exactly!!! Now thats what i am talking about! Cut the dead weight keep sweed around for another shot and we got one hell of a wr core! very well put! :yellowthumb:

Rampage
07-27-2011, 04:26 PM

I don't mind having 6 on the roster, but Burress wouldn't be my primary free agent target at this point. I would rather see the team pursue another corner or offensive lineman before going after another wideout.

That said, I'm not opposed to him signing. I would prefer addressing a weaker area on the team.

K Train
07-27-2011, 04:26 PM
bring him back i <3 him

PsychoWard
07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't mind having 6 on the roster, but Burress wouldn't be my primary free agent target at this point. I would rather see the team pursue another corner or offensive lineman before going after another wideout.

That said, I'm not opposed to him signing. I would prefer addressing a weaker area on the team.

I agree and I think the steelers will address the corner position, but I also think that they know that Plax is going to go fast and if they really want him they have to make a push at him!

LatrobePA
07-27-2011, 04:29 PM
This would be BA's wet dream...

Rampage
07-27-2011, 04:30 PM

He's not a fullback, so I have to agree.

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I agree with getting rid of El and battle but not bringing in Plax...I say Hines, Wallace, Brown and Sanders and groom a rookie. Im not sold on Sweed either but would like to see how he does in camp...

LatrobePA
07-27-2011, 04:32 PM

He'd be a wierd looking FB! lol

DanRooney
07-27-2011, 04:32 PM

Sweed will surely be cut if Plax signs.

coldrolled
07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
keep sweed for now, get plaxico.... and clean out the rest of the dead weight receivers. OR

i think Joseph over Burress if money is that tight. we need another CB.

Big T
07-27-2011, 04:37 PM
He'd be a wierd looking FB! lol

Though he'd be able to block better than Frank Summers and he'd be a sick target out of the backfield lol.

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 04:43 PM

:barf:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 04:43 PM
I think it's a no brainer that you keep 6 WR's on this team. The way that Arians like to throw the ball now, only carrying 5 is a risk if one or more go down with injuries. Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Brown, Sweed, and Burress. Hey, why not?!

If Battle keeps his spot it will be because he excels as a special teams ace.

Big T
07-27-2011, 04:44 PM
keep sweed for now, get plaxico.... and clean out the rest of the dead weight receivers. OR

i think Joseph over Burress if money is that tight. we need another CB.

Jonathan Joseph will cost a lot more than Burress.

K Train
07-27-2011, 04:44 PM
why does everyone think battle is this superstar on special teams?

Rampage
07-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Because he had one or two tackles.

:lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 05:14 PM
He's not a super star but he is very effective and that is how he made his mark and got his roster spot last year. He may not make all the tackles but there's more to ST than that. He puts himself in a position to help others make the play many times.

our ST were pretty darn good last year, and the Steelers usually carry 1 or 2 guys are considered aces in that role.

steelersbabex25
07-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm starting to drool just at the thought of Ward, Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Burress all being on the same team. That would put a lot of strain on a lot of secondaries.

jackhammer1
07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
As long as he leaves his weapon, uh, gun, out of his shorts, why not give it a shot.

tburg68
07-27-2011, 06:27 PM

He is a superstar matador.

LatrobePA
07-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Anyone with the last name Battle is a superstar!! Lol

Ibleedblk&gld
07-27-2011, 06:47 PM
AdamSchefter: Latest on Plaxico Burress and how two likely landing spots are the Giants and Steelers. http://is.gd/1S1s3X

Should know by the weekend...

--- Added 7/27/2011 at 05:47 PM ---

"After a dinner with Giants coach Tom Coughlin on Friday night, Burress plans to fly to Pittsburgh to meet with coach Mike Tomlin, sources said."

Farrior Fan
07-27-2011, 06:56 PM

or an awesome TE.......We do NOT need Plax. Wallace, Brown, and Sanders are the future. We don't need a guy who was on the downside of his career before he spent 2 years in the lockup. I always agree with Ktrain but I am afraid that you are way wrong on this one.

I am still holding out hope for Sweed also.:helmet::tt02::helmet:

ItAintEasyBeingPeazy
07-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Here's the Giants recieving corps...I can see them making mends with Plax and bringing him back they would have a nice squad with him Nicks and Manningham..Clayton is pretty nice too.

3 Barden, Ramses WR 6-6 227 25 3 Cal Poly-S.L.O.
84 Calhoun, Duke WR 6-4 205 23 2 Memphis
83 Clayton, Michael WR 6-4 215 28 8 LSU
85 Hagan, Derek WR 6-2 215 26 5 Arizona State
82 Manningham, Mario WR 5-11 183 25 4 Michigan
88 Nicks, Hakeem WR 6-0 215 23 3 North Carolina

But this lineup would just be sick:

17 Plaxico Burress 33 6-6 235 Michigan State
84 Antonio Brown 23 5-10 186 Jul 10, 1988 2 Central Michigan Career
88 Emmanuel Sanders 24 5-11 180 Mar 17, 1987 2 Southern Methodist Career
80 Limas Sweed 26 6-4 212 Dec 25, 1984 3 Texas Career
17 Mike Wallace 24 6-0 199 Aug 1, 1986 3 Mississippi Career
86 Hines Ward 35 6-0 205 Mar 8, 1976 14 Georgia

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 07:15 PM
It would be a sick lineup, there's no doubt. And Plax may very well mend fences with the Giants and go back. They have a good team with a chance to make the post season for sure. If the rumors are true and he is going to see Tomlin, I'm sure they'll make him a fair deal. The main thing would be, will he get more playing time in New York or Pittsburgh? I would imagine the money that either team will throw at him will be pretty comparable.

Big T
07-27-2011, 08:28 PM
or an awesome TE.......We do NOT need Plax. Wallace, Brown, and Sanders are the future. We don't need a guy who was on the downside of his career before he spent 2 years in the lockup. I always agree with Ktrain but I am afraid that you are way wrong on this one.

Nobody said we NEED him, but at the right price he'd be a nice luxury to have. And it would be pretty badass seeing him in a steelers uni again.

K Train
07-27-2011, 09:20 PM
He's not a super star but he is very effective and that is how he made his mark and got his roster spot last year. He may not make all the tackles but there's more to ST than that. He puts himself in a position to help others make the play many times.

our ST were pretty darn good last year, and the Steelers usually carry 1 or 2 guys are considered aces in that role.

chidi iwuoma (sp? its been a while lol) was replaced, brett keisel was replaced, james harrison was replaced, patrick bailey was replaced (by stevenson sylvester) and patrick bailey was the steelers standout "rookie of the year" the prior year.

anthony madison and arnaz battle will EASILY be replaced because their not even on the level of the guys listed above, those guys were ST monsters

i dont think we need him, but i would love to have him....ben loved him when he was handing the ball off and doing a play action one read play....now ben is among the elite QBs and plax would be a luxury for him.

for once i think it would be nice for the steelers to be the owners of the story of taking a chance on a player and having it really pay off...if not plax i want pryor lol

Big T
07-27-2011, 10:48 PM
i dont think we need him, but i would love to have him....ben loved him when he was handing the ball off and doing a play action one read play....now ben is among the elite QBs and plax would be a luxury for him.

for once i think it would be nice for the steelers to be the owners of the story of taking a chance on a player and having it really pay off...if not plax i want pryor lol

Reginald Alfred Bush II please

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I think that Burress could be a red zone beast for us. With that said, we invested in Sweed and I think Sweed is ready. Our overall WR corps is the best in the league right now anyway.

So I say we pass on Burress and focus in on Willie Colon and our other area of needs.

K Train
07-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Reginald Alfred Bush II please
dont tease me

I think that Burress could be a red zone beast for us. With that said, we invested in Sweed and I think Sweed is ready. Our overall WR corps is the best in the league right now anyway.

So I say we pass on Burress and focus in on Willie Colon and our other area of needs.

best wrs in the league? nah theres a ton that are comparable or better

ward is winding down noticeably, wallace is still a one trick pony despite always getting better, and i like brown and sanders as much as the next guy but they are still relatively unknown.

steelersbabex25
07-27-2011, 11:05 PM
dont tease me

ward is winding down noticeably, wallace is still a one trick pony despite always getting better, and i like brown and sanders as much as the next guy but they are still relatively unknown.

Agreed. They're all very good but they're young. Having Ward and maybe another leader on the field would help (Burress.) Once they all mature it'll be unreal.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 01:01 AM
I loved Plaxico and would want him back....I just don't know how much he has left?....I'm not saying he is done by any means.....Just would curb my excitement some since he hasn't played in a couple seasons......

Big T
07-28-2011, 01:54 AM
Looks like Reggie Bush is gonna be a dolphin. Trade is worked out between NO and Miami. Just depends on a new contract. :(

connecticutsteel
07-28-2011, 02:07 AM
dont tease me

everyone starts as nobodys

Blazedby92
07-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I would love to have Plax back and that would be Ben's BIG target that he hasn't got yet since Sweed is a 4 year bust, Don't cut Sweed just move him to DB and we would have matching CB's Tall Fast and can't catch.
Bring back Plax

LatrobePA
07-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Is it Saturday yet?? This one is killing me!

PsychoWard
07-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Don't cut Sweed just move him to DB and we would have matching CB's Tall Fast and can't catch.
Bring back Plax

:lol: :clap: now thats funny!

harpo
07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
I would love to have Plax back, but I don't think it will happen. I think he'll end up back in NY. Eli haven't been the same without him. :greengrin:

Root4Stlrs
07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
I would love to have Plax back, but I don't think it will happen. I think he'll end up back in NY. Eli haven't been the same without him. :greengrin:

Exactly. That is why Coughlin is offering the olive branch. They need him more and will offer more - that is why NY will get him.

TampaSteelGirl
07-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Exactly. That is why Coughlin is offering the olive branch. They need him more and will offer more - that is why NY will get him.

:pray::whistle::dunno::yesnod::greengrin::question-1:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 12:28 PM
If Tomlin didn't think he had a realistic chance to sign Plax, he wouldn't be meeting with him. Time is precious right now and you don't waste it by talking to guys that you aren't serious about. If Plax comes to Pittsburgh (assuming he doesn't sign with the Giants ahead of time) then there is a real chance he lands here.

If he would, hyopthetically, is he your #3 WR now? Wallace, Ward, and Plax..then add in Manny Sanders and Antonio Brown as your 4th and 5th guys? Or you make Plax you're 4th guy?

K Train
07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
id like to see ward phased out, brown and sanders phased in, and plax splitting time with ward.

it doesnt have to be concrete #1 2 3 4 5 6 though....thats a good problem to have

PsychoWard
07-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I would like to see hines in the slot!! the guy still has great hands and would be great coming across the field!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
It is a good problem to have and the Steelers use multiple WR sets with various personnel pretty regularly during the game. There were times last year when Sanders and Wallace were on the field as a tandem for example. If Plax is going to come to Pittsburgh, I think that is something he will consider as a big part of the deal, how much playing time does he expect to get.

As far as Ward goes, his playing time will be somewhat less this year but he still proved last year the guy can still get it done, especially in the big games.

Meanfish
07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
I just don't get this...? I'd put the chance of Plax returning at about 5%. We've got talent out the wazoo at WR... he'd be the man on the Giants. We won't pay him... the Giants will give him a solid paycheck. I always got the opinion that he wasn't ever happy here... he and Eli seem to get along swimmingly. I just see this as an agent ploy, with nothing to gain for the Steelers.
:tt02:

K Train
07-28-2011, 01:45 PM
I just don't get this...? I'd put the chance of Plax returning at about 5%. We've got talent out the wazoo at WR... he'd be the man on the Giants. We won't pay him... the Giants will give him a solid paycheck. I always got the opinion that he wasn't ever happy here... he and Eli seem to get along swimmingly. I just see this as an agent ploy, with nothing to gain for the Steelers.
:tt02:

hakeem nicks is the man on the giants now...not burress....and steve smith and mario manningham are good players as well.

harpo
07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
One thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the possibility that Ward might be suspended for his DUI infraction. If he misses any time, can Sanders, Brown or Sweed (I can't believe I included him....:lol:) meet the challenge?

Plax is battle-tested and proven. I can see why the interest is there. But as I said earlier, I would love to have him back but something tells me he's going back to NY.

I hope i'm wrong....

K Train
07-28-2011, 02:17 PM
One thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the possibility that Ward might be suspended for his DUI infraction. If he misses any time, can Sanders, Brown or Sweed (I can't believe I included him....:lol:) meet the challenge?

Plax is battle-tested and proven. I can see why the interest is there. But as I said earlier, I would love to have him back but something tells me he's going back to NY.

I hope i'm wrong....

im really on baord that its a better group of WRs without ward, if a rookie holmes and nate ****ing washington can be effective starters without ward 5 years ago, 5 years later and way better options with a deteriorating ward i think wed be fine.

i know im in the minority, but ward is the 4th best WR on the roster at this point. wallace is brilliant and is becoming so much more than a deep threat, brown and sanders might not have the polish but they have the spark...sanders gets SO fired up after every catch, and brown is absolutely fearless. ward is a mini TE who doesnt scare anyone unless he blows them up with a block.

plax would be a delight to have back for a year or 2..while ben is in his prime why the hell not?

LatrobePA
07-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Ward won't be suspended..

BlitzburghRockCity
07-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Players like Wallace and Sanders have told local Steelers media today that they would be all for having Plax come to Pittsburgh. Now we would expect them to be politically correct and not make any waves, but on the onset the players seem to be on board too.

At this point it's unlikely Ward will face a suspension from the league, however he could definitely be fined.

harpo
07-28-2011, 02:33 PM
im really on baord that its a better group of WRs without ward, if a rookie holmes and nate ****ing washington can be effective starters without ward 5 years ago, 5 years later and way better options with a deteriorating ward i think wed be fine.

i know im in the minority, but ward is the 4th best WR on the roster at this point. wallace is brilliant and is becoming so much more than a deep threat, brown and sanders might not have the polish but they have the spark...sanders gets SO fired up after every catch, and brown is absolutely fearless. ward is a mini TE who doesnt scare anyone unless he blows them up with a block.

plax would be a delight to have back for a year or 2..while ben is in his prime why the hell not?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think we'd be fine, too....with or without Ward. I think the only thing that worries me at this point is, as you mentioned, Sanders and Brown aren't 'polished' yet. What Ward has going for him at this point in his career is that he knows how to read coverage and find the soft spots to get open. Wallace should elevate his game this year and become a more 'complete' WR. The addition of Plax could help the transition from Ward-Sanders-Brown to Plax-Sanders-Brown. I really hope he comes back but....I can't get this voice out of my head.:banging:

Ward won't be suspended..

I hope not but with Emperor God-dell, you just never know.

K Train
07-28-2011, 02:42 PM
yeah well that polish comes from experience, theyve all shown since day one (wallace, sanders, brown) that they CAN play at this level and they dont get flustered....more reps, more experience, more polish, better players

PsychoWard
07-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I was just watching sport center, turns out that lefty and plax are very good friends and have been working out together since plax's release! So i am sure they have been talking! they also showed sanders at camp saying come to the burgh plax we could use you!!! So this might just happen!!!:crossfingers:

Zachintosh66
07-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Corner first please...

or OL...

Steel Trap86
07-28-2011, 05:54 PM
This receiving core is already stacked, Plax is only going to make it better. Just sign him now, I'm ready

coldrolled
07-28-2011, 06:07 PM
This receiving core is already stacked, Plax is only going to make it better. Just sign him now, I'm ready

The pats they say... just got ocho cheap, and haynesworth cheap, so plax should be really reasonable too...

Stlrs4Life
07-28-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't think a Leopard changes his spots. I say stay away from him and don't take the chance.

Big T
07-28-2011, 06:24 PM
The pats they say... just got ocho cheap, and haynesworth cheap, so plax should be really reasonable too...

Those were trades though. Not free agent signings.

cheddabob
07-28-2011, 06:37 PM
has anyone heard of anythign on plaxico signing with the steelers or the giants? I know he was flying in to talk with both teams i just havent heard much else. I still dont know what to think about this issue with plaxico, good player but a lot of baggage...

LatrobePA
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
There's already a thread started, check it out.

Meanfish
07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
He's not supposed to meet with the Giants 'til tomorrow, and originally he was to have met Sat. w/ Coach T. (but since then ESPN said he's coming in Fri. night to se Coach T.)? WHo knows... I wouldn't hold your breath if you want him here.

coldrolled
07-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Those were trades though. Not free agent signings.

They still have to pay them right? They said they were cheap.

SteelDad
07-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Is the fact we are interested in Plax mean that Antonio Brown or Manny Sanders are NOT who we think they are? Both these guys played very well last year, especially Sanders at WR and Brown seems the heir apparent to ARE on PR/KR. Any deal must be very cheap and loaded with incentives.

SteelCurtainYinzer
07-28-2011, 06:59 PM

Chad has talked about going to NE since last year. He wants to play on a winner and has made alot of money. As a Steeler fan, it has always killed me how people rag on him. I lived in Cincinnati for 7 years and recently moved back home. During that time he was never in the media for doing anything bad. In this day and age, we condem people who play a childs sport and condem them for taking the game too serious. He is a kid at heart and works hard. I am glad he landed somewhere where he has a chance to play on a winner.

chisteeler
07-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Maybe, just maybe Plax has thought about some unfinished business that he'd like to rectify by coming back to the Steel city. We can only hope that his time away from the game by being in jail has made him reevaluate what was important to him. I think that all Steelers players, past and present know that once you are part of this organization and fan base, that there is no place like playing in Pittsburgh. Look at Foote, ARE, McFadden, and the others that have left, but still speak high praises of the organization.
Plax has something to prove to himself and the Burgh, and I truly believe he wants to come back home. I say we welcome home the Prodigal son!

steelersgal86
07-28-2011, 08:10 PM
I agree...I am excited to have him back

Root4Stlrs
07-28-2011, 08:27 PM
I agree...I am excited to have him back

I totally agree with you on this one. I would be excited if he would come back. I just think the Giants will offer him more than the Steelers?? just like anyone else, I think he deserves a second chance. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that there might even be a chance he would come to P'burgh.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Mike Wallace established himself as one of the top young receivers in the NFL last season. Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown established themselves as valuable components of the Steelers offense as rookies.

All could stand to lose playing time or see a drop in their production if the Steelers decide to sign free-agent Plaxico Burress. But that did not stop them from all but rolling out the red carpet to welcome Burress back to Pittsburgh.

Burress, who played with the Steelers from 2000-2004, missed the past two seasons while serving a jail sentence for a weapons violation in New York. He was expected to meet with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin today and is due to meet with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin Saturday about the possibility of rejoining the club.
"I think it would be great," said Sanders, who had 28 receptions and two touchdowns as a rookie. "Whoever wants to come in and put their hands in the pile and help us win a championship, I'm all about it. We got to the Super Bowl last year and we lost. I remember walking off that field and thinking I have to know what it's like when the confetti is falling and I have the T-shirt on my back and the ring on my finger. If he wants to come in and help us, I'm down."

Brown and Burress worked out together this summer because they share the same agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

"I'm here for whatever they want me to do," said Brown, who had 16 receptions and 167 yards last season and caught the long pass in the playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens that set up the deciding touchdown. "I think special teams will be key for me. And the more reps I get at receiver, it will be key for me."
Brown said Burress is in "great shape."

"He's ready," Brown said. "We've been working out together. Plax is a great guy, one of my close friends and a good mentor. It would be great to have him here."
Burress was a favorite target of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in the 2004 season. In five seasons with the Steelers, Burress had 4,157 receiving yards and 22 touchdowns. He left the Steelers to sign as a free agent with the New York Giants after the '04 season. As a member of the Giants, he scored the winning touchdown to help New York defeat New England, 17-14, in Super Bowl XLII.

"I'm with it," Wallace said. "I'd love to have him here. He's a great player. He'd be a great addition to our team."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/1163724-66-0.stm#ixzz1TUqfDZP6)

Big T
07-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Is the fact we are interested in Plax mean that Antonio Brown or Manny Sanders are NOT who we think they are? Both these guys played very well last year, especially Sanders at WR and Brown seems the heir apparent to ARE on PR/KR. Any deal must be very cheap and loaded with incentives.

Absolutely not

K Train
07-29-2011, 09:22 AM

no way. its that we have wallace (still kind aone dimensional) and 3 slot WRs on the roster. Burress gives us a big, physical presence on the outside

SteelCityKid5
07-29-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't think a Leopard changes his spots. I say stay away from him and don't take the chance.

So with your logic, we should have released Ben a long time ago.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Ben is lobbying to get Plax into Pittsburgh

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger laughed today over James Harrison's comments in Men's Journal that he was no Peyton Manning, but says it's no laughing matter about trying to get receiver Plaxico Burress to rejoin the Steelers.

The quarterback said he has been lobbying Plaxico for the past two months to consider re-signing with the Steelers, who drafted him in the first round in 2000.
"I've been talking to him," said Roethlisberer, who was a rookie during Burress' final season with the Steelers in 2004. "Plax and I have been talking for the last couple of months. I talked to him the other day and said, 'Would you be interested?' I'm excited for him to come whenever he comes here."

ESPN reported that Mike Tomlin will have dinner with Burress Saturday night, although Tomlin will not confirm that and there remains some skepticism it might come off.
Roethlisberger declined to say what he and Burress have been talking about but he feels the 6-5 receiver would fit right back in with the Steelers offense, which lost veteran Antwaan Randle El when he was released on Thursday.

The Steelers started Mike Wallace and Hines Ward last season. Rookie Emmanuel Sanders quickly became the No. 3 receiver and fellow rookie Antonio Brown moved up to No. 4.

"We've got a great group, we're a good young group on offense,'' Roethlisberger said. "Plax is a veteran guy who can come in with Hines as a veteran wide receiver and help our young guys. We have a great group of young guys who I think would welcome an opportunity to play alongside Plaxico as well as they welcome the challenge of running alongside Hines Ward."

Burress, who signed with the Giants as a free agent in 2005, was released from jail in June after serving two years on a gun charge.

Roethlisberger shrugged off Harrison's comments that seemed to knock the quarterback for throwing interceptions in the Super Bowl loss to Green Bay.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11210/1163800-100.stm#ixzz1TXEJ2sgT)

Ibleedblk&gld
07-29-2011, 07:55 PM
I've been waiting for an update all day...praying he comes back

SteelCityKid5
07-29-2011, 08:32 PM
If we sign him... objectively speaking... could we not have the best WR corpes in the NFL? The Packers have a great corpes but I mean ours would be pretty damn good as well

Thisoneguy555
07-29-2011, 09:31 PM
If we sign him... objectively speaking... could we not have the best WR corpes in the NFL? The Packers have a great corpes but I mean ours would be pretty damn good as well

I believed we had one of the better ones going into the Superbowl. But Plex just had a meeting face to face with Coughlin and wants to be a Giants player.

Ibleedblk&gld
07-29-2011, 09:39 PM
I believed we had one of the better ones going into the Superbowl. But Plex just had a meeting face to face with Coughlin and wants to be a Giants player.

He's meeting with Tomlin tomorrow as well

LatrobePA
07-29-2011, 09:44 PM

Hell yea, I personally think it's up there w/out him.

coldrolled
07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Why is Holmes gone? Wake and Bake is now worse than firing weapons into yourself....
I dont think he will be a steeler... We need OL now.

Real Deal Steel
07-30-2011, 12:50 AM
I'll say this:

With Plax and Wallace..Brown and Sanders...our passing game would be at the highest level of talent in Steelers history. Which would take that safety out of the box against Mendenhall. If we upgrade the O-line, coupled with a defense that can handle most offenses, ten wins are in the bag easily.

Thisoneguy555
07-30-2011, 02:05 AM
He's meeting with Tomlin tomorrow as well

That may be true, but I think our receiving corp is fine as is, Plex is over 30, is not in football shape, plus he wont come cheap, is it really a priority to have more receivers? We were so low on offensive linemen last year, at some points during games, there were only 6 healthy linemen. I'm more worried about that then if that tall idiot comes back to pittsburgh.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Burress has breakfast with Tomlin at Steelers' camp
Saturday, July 30, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wide receiver Plaxico Burress' long ride back to the National Football League made a stop at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe this morning when he met with coach Mike Tomlin for breakfast at the school's cafeteria.

Burress, the Steelers' No. 1 draft pick in 2000, met with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin Friday evening.The Giants and Steelers are the only known teams interested in the 6-5 receiver at the moment.

Burress was released in June from prison after serving two years for a gun violation. He played for the Steelers through 2004 and signed as a free agent with the Giants in 2005.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who played with Burress one season in 2004, said on Friday he has been talking to his former teammate for two months, trying to convince him to join the Steelers. "You can always add a weapon,'' Roethlisberger said. "If we bring a tall guy in as a veteran guy, he can help the young guys. That's good."

From the Trib (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11211/1164126-100.stm#ixzz1Tb7ujrjt)

SteelCityKid5
07-30-2011, 12:40 PM
If the Eagles get him Ill flip... theyre in the running for everyone nowadays

StlersGuy
07-30-2011, 12:44 PM
I really hope we can land him in the burgh

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

Rampage
07-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Supposedly the Jets want him, too.

LatrobePA
07-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Come on team sign someone...

PsychoWard
07-30-2011, 01:04 PM
If the Eagles get him Ill flip... theyre in the running for everyone nowadays

I just read an article that Plax wants to go to Philly!

Ibleedblk&gld
07-30-2011, 01:14 PM
schefter reporting the iggles already referring to themselves as "The Dream Team"...what a bunch of douchebags, just like their fans...I'm going to laugh when they do nothing with all these big names...

steelersbabex25
07-30-2011, 01:41 PM

Must be offering him some good money..

Big T
07-30-2011, 01:43 PM
schefter reporting the iggles already referring to themselves as "The Dream Team"...what a bunch of douchebags, just like their fans...I'm going to laugh when they do nothing with all these big names...

It's not really the Eagles referring to themselves as "The Dream Team"...It was Vince Young, who actually named himself in a list of players acquired that make them "The Dream Team". Vince is just being his typical dumbass self.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Burress spent an hour with the Giants yesterday, he's been with the Steelers for 6 hours so far today.

Meanfish
07-30-2011, 01:53 PM

Did he say that as he was leaving lunch with his Steelers buddies???

steelersbabex25
07-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Burress spent an hour with the Giants yesterday, he's been with the Steelers for 6 hours so far today.

Is that good or bad..

Zachintosh66
07-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Plax will not sign... calling it now

steelersbabex25
07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Plax will not sign... calling it now

Cause nothing good ever happens to the Steelers in the offseason.

DBR96A
07-30-2011, 02:33 PM
We have three young WRs with lots of upside on the team, so while it'd be nice to have Plaxico Burress back, we don't really need him.

Zachintosh66
07-30-2011, 02:35 PM
We have three young WRs with lots of upside on the team, so while it'd be nice to have Plaxico Burress back, we don't really need him.

agree would like another OT n CB, lol

LatrobePA
07-30-2011, 02:47 PM
No contract talk w/him yet I say we pass

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2011, 05:13 PM
He is met with management and players today, left town but talks ongoing .

Rampage
07-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Plax would be a nice luxury, but I wouldn't be disappointed if he signed elsewhere. I would have preferred seeing the team go after a more meaningful player (according to the current situation) such as Gaither, to be honest. A WR does little for a team that can't keep its QB upright.

Ibleedblk&gld
07-30-2011, 06:59 PM
first time watching the video featuring Plax on the main page of www.espn.go.com/nfl

at the end she says how Plax got out of prison and has been working out with lefty, and how lefty doesn't have to pitch to Plax about the steelers b/c he's so interested

this offseason would be complete if we would release gay, fire arians, and pick up plax...i'd be good if all 3 happened

LatrobePA
07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Jets will land him...they're making a case!

Dobre Shunka
07-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Eagles

LatrobePA
07-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Eagles

Per VY dream team..

Ibleedblk&gld
07-30-2011, 07:14 PM
I think Vick can help VY with his mindset, but let him get booed once in philly and he'll be suicidal...philly fans don't play when it comes to hate

LatrobePA
07-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Dream team build around Vick, he goes down and their O will not run the same with VY.

SteelDad
07-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Dream team build around Vick, he goes down and their O will not run the same with VY.

My thoughts exactly. Iggles are putting all their eggs (pun intended) in a basket and when Vick goes down that basket is gonna tip over. No way Vick plays all 16 games.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2011, 09:30 PM
NFL source says he is not meeting with Jets tomorrow.

StlersGuy
07-30-2011, 09:44 PM
I just read on nfl.com he can't sign until August 4th why does he have to wait..

Plaxico Burress shook hands. He bro-hugged. He talked. He listened. He watched. He hung out. He paced.

The one thing the free-agent wide receiver didn't do Saturday while visiting the Pittsburgh Steelers is sign a contract.

Instead, Burress hopped into an awaiting limo just as the Steelers began afternoon practice at Saint Vincent University, after a lengthy visit in which he met with team president Art Rooney II, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin when he wasn't catching up with old teammates.

Tomlin called the sit-down "good," while the normally tight-lipped Colbert was decidedly open when talking about the nature of the discussion.

"Obviously, he's interested," Colbert said. "Drew (Rosenhaus), his agent, is interested, and we're certainly interested."

Consider quarterback Ben Roethlisberger chief among those hoping to land the soon-to-be 34-year-old. He spoke to Burress several times after the receiver's release from prison in June after serving 20 months on a gun charge.

Though the defending AFC champions aren't exactly hurting at wide receiver with veteran Hines Ward , budding star Mike Wallace and youngsters Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders , the 6-foot-5 Burress would give the passing game an added dimension of height. For all their speed, Ward and company all are 6-feet or shorter.

"For this offense, we've got a lot of weapons, a lot of tools (but) anytime you can just add something, say it's a (fast) guy, a tall guy ... he can help the young guys, and I think that's good," Roethlisberger said.

The meeting with the Steelers came one day after Burress spent 90 minutes talking with New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin. Burress caught the game-winning touchdown in the Giants' upset of the unbeaten New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, before his career derailed after he accidentally shot himself in a New York nightclub in 2009.

Coughlin said he wanted to see "sincerity" from Burress during their meeting. The Steelers certainly believed they received it from the player they picked eighth overall in the 2000 NFL Draft.

The San Francisco 49ers will meet with Burress on Sunday, KDVR-TV reported via Twitter.

The New York Daily News reported , also via Twitter, that the Jets invited Burress to visit Sunday, but if he returns to New York, it would be to rejoin the Giants.

Burress spent five seasons in Pittsburgh, catching 35 passes for 698 yards and five touchdowns in his final year with the team in 2004 as it slowly broke in Roethlisberger, a rookie at the time. Burress moved to New York, where he thrived catching balls from Eli Manning but often ran into trouble with Coughlin.

Now the mercurial but talented wideout is hoping to revive his career much in the same way Michael Vick did with the Philadelphia Eagles after prison.

The Steelers would like to help, but Colbert knows Burress' return won't come down to sentiment but money. And there's a very real chance that economics could get in the way of Burress sharing a huddle with Roethlisberger again in the fall.

Burress' legal troubles cost him two years in his prime, and despite the layoff, he knows there are few free agents on the market with his size and resume. He won't come cheap, which could be a problem for Pittsburgh.

The Steelers began training camp about $10 million over the projected $120.4 million salary cap, and they released veterans Flozell Adams , Antwaan Randle El and Max Starks earlier in the week to trim payroll. Further cuts could be coming, and some contract restructuring is expected as the team attempts to sign young core players such as linebacker LaMarr Woodley to extensions.

"That's the thing we have to judge because we don't know where finances would be at this point," Colbert said. "Once you determine that with any player, you have to look at it like, 'OK, if we do this, it's going to cost us this, and is it worth doing it?' "

The team has time to do the math. As a free agent, Burress can't join any potential team until Aug. 4 (Thursday). If he dons the black and gold, Burress hardly would be the first former Steeler to prove you can go home again.

Pittsburgh is one of the few NFL teams that actively pursues second chances. The roster is littered with players such as quarterback Byron Leftwich and linebacker Larry Foote who went elsewhere in their careers, only to return to the Steel City.

Though he hasn't caught an NFL pass in two years, Colbert said Burress looked "great," and there was no need to put him through a lengthy workout, knowing the true test won't come until the receiver is wearing a helmet and shoulder pads.

"He missed two years of football, and until he gets back on the football field, nobody is going to know that," Colbert said. "But I don't think a workout could accurately indicate where he would be."

Vick singlehandedly electrified the Eagles when he became their starting quarterback. Burress won't be asked to do nearly as much if he signs in Pittsburgh, which has stockpiled young receivers behind Ward.

"If he can help us win another Super Bowl, I'm for it," Ward said. "We had some great years when we're together here and would definitely add some explosiveness to our already explosive receiving corps. If he's here, we'll welcome him with open arms."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d8211ac6d/second-coming-burress-spends-saturday-visiting-steelers/

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

LatrobePA
07-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Can't practice w the team until then.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-31-2011, 12:52 AM
The coaches want him, management wants him and the players lobbied hard for him to sign during his seven-hour visit to St. Vincent College on Saturday. The only issue standing in the way of Burress rejoining the Steelers after seven years away is money.
Burress, a former first-round draft pick by the Steelers, could demand as much as $5 million per year from the other teams in the mix for his services -- the Eagles, Giants, Jets and 49ers. That is a number the Steelers are unlikely to come close to matching because of salary-cap constraints.

Director of football operations Kevin Colbert said yesterday that the Steelers are "still trying to get in compliance with the cap" even after releasing veterans Flozell Adams, Max Starks and Antwaan Randle El in a span of two days to shed around $12 million.
Burress is expected to make a decision Monday. Even with their financial limitations, the Steelers remain a possibility.

"The process is running its course, and we'll let it do that," coach Mike Tomlin said.
Burress hasn't pulled a paycheck in more than two years, which could weigh heavily in his decision. He helped lead the Giants to a 17-14 victory over the undefeated Patriots in Super Bowl XLII by catching the winning touchdown pass but more recently spent almost two years in prison after shooting himself in the leg in a Manhattan nightclub.
He pleaded guilty in August 2009 to attempted criminal possession of a weapon and was sentenced to two years. In June, he was released two months early for good behavior.

He was with the Steelers from 2000-04, posting 22 touchdown receptions, before leaving for a six-year, $25 million contract with the Giants.
Burress spent the majority of yesterday in Latrobe, starting out with breakfast with Tomlin and Colbert. He then met privately with Tomlin, had lunch with receiver Hines Ward and linebacker James Farrior and visited with Colbert for close to an hour.
Burress was seen making phone calls, texting and laughing while standing on a second-floor overlook at St. Benedict Hall, where some team management resides during camp.

"With any player, you have to look at, 'If you do this, then it is going to cost us this, and is it worth doing?' " Colbert said. "He is interested, (agent Drew Rosenhaus) is interested and we are certainly interested.'

Burress left around 3 p.m. after embracing Colbert in the parking lot. Burress visited the Giants on Friday and was expected to make trips to the 49ers, Jets and Eagles this weekend.

"Plax felt comfortable being back in Pittsburgh amongst some of the players," Ward said. "He is going to wait and take his time on Monday and do what's best for him and his family."

Ward and Burress were one of the most dynamic receiving duos in the league for years. In 2002, both had more than 1,300 receiving yards and combined for 19 touchdowns.

But Burress, who will turn 34 on Aug. 12, has not played an NFL game since Nov. 30, 2008.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Plaxico%20Burress%20in%20their%20crosshairs%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_749289.html#ixzz1TehbDHU4)

steelersgal86
07-31-2011, 09:41 AM
I heard jets got him:cursin:

LatrobePA
07-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Yep it's official per espn. Time to move on y'all