PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign 2nd Punter to roster, Sepulveda could be on the way out

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 01:31 PM
The Steelers signed a second punter to their roster and appear to be ready to replace veteran Daniel Sepulveda, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Aaron Bates, who punted for Michigan State, became the 19th rookie free agent to sign a contract with the Steelers this week. He joins Jeremy Kapinos, who punted for the Steelers last season after an injury to Sepulveda, on their roster heading to training camp Thursday.

Sepulveda, a fourth-round draft choice in 2007, missed the final four games of the regular season and the entire post-season last year after his second torn ACL during his time with the Steelers and his third since 2006. He missed the entire 2008 season with the same injury. He also had a torn ACL in the spring of his final season at Baylor.
The team also announced the hirings of Nathan LoCascio as the public relations/media manager and Sonia Gysland as an assistant athletic trainer.

Gysland is only the second full-time female athletic trainer in the NFL, after replacing Ariko Iso, who is now the head athletic trainer at Oregon State University.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11208/1163256-100.stm#ixzz1TKNv51wf)

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 01:32 PM
This is unfortunate for Danny, the guy is a fan favorite and such a nice person to talk from a fan perspective. He stays out of trouble, out of the limelight, and has a great team attitude. He just can't stay healthy though and in this business it's a "what have you done for me lately" type of mindset.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Maybe just competition,not sure they want to give up on him just yet,they did use a pretty high pick on him....at least high for kicker

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Maybe just competition,not sure they want to give up on him just yet,they did use a pretty high pick on him....at least high for kicker

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Remember, Danny is an unrestricted free agent right now. They could be in talks with him since we haven't heard anything yet at this point officially. Already bringing in 2 Punters to camp though isn't a good sign that's for sure.

K Train
07-27-2011, 01:55 PM
oddly enough hes an all time favorite steeler of mine, i know that sounds weird but i was pimping him in the 4th round months before the draft, it just seemed so right when it actually happened

id hate to see him go :-(

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 02:50 PM
I figured you'd be in mourning dude, lock yourself in your room with a bottle of Jack and a straw :lol:

I can still remember K train calling for this pick in the draft a few years ago, and damned if he wasn't right on. I too would hate to see him go. He wouldn't cost much to bring back but them carrying 3 punters into camp is not something you see very often.

K Train
07-27-2011, 02:54 PM
this is worse than losing thaddeus gibson :-(

K Train
07-27-2011, 02:59 PM
they should go after adam podlesh who is a free agent...jags drafted him in the same round as sep, hes been pretty solid for them

PsychoWard
07-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I figured you'd be in mourning dude, lock yourself in your room with a bottle of Jack and a straw :lol:

I can still remember K train calling for this pick in the draft a few years ago, and damned if he wasn't right on. I too would hate to see him go. He wouldn't cost much to bring back but them carrying 3 punters into camp is not something you see very often.

I remember that too!! I was just gonna say K Train is going to cry if this really does happen! But like you said business is business, I like d sep to but he has been hurt almost as much as he as been healthy, and from a business stand point with only one punter on the team it may be time to part ways!

Rampage
07-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I like Sepulveda not only as a punter, but as extra help on coverage when he does punt. My only concern is his injury history.

Bring back Mitch "I suck so bad at punting, that it is actually good for the team" Berger, anyone?

Meanfish
07-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Aaron is a great kid!! I didn't even imagine he'd get picked up by the Steelers and given a chance. He's a high character kid, with a tremendous work ethic. There will never be an issue with him. He's the punter who threw the td to beat Notre Dame last year. He's the first special teams player to ever be chosen as a captain at Michigan State. I like Sepulveda too, but I'm really excited about Aaron's opportunity.

Big T
07-27-2011, 03:45 PM
this is worse than losing thaddeus gibson :-(

http://www.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/803612_o.gif

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I would really be sad to see him go...not just cause he's sweet to look at but he is a good punter and a good help with tackling after the punt. Man i would hate to see him go....

Hes been really quiet on FB too..

LatrobePA
07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
I like Sepulveda not only as a punter, but as extra help on coverage when he does punt. My only concern is his injury history.

Bring back Mitch "I suck so bad at punting, that it is actually good for the team" Berger, anyone?

Mitch kicked us through a SB victory... :yellowthumb: hahahahahaha

PS: DSep is way overrated! Broke all the time, I think we wouldn't miss a beat w/out him.

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 04:12 PM

PS: DSep is way overrated! Broke all the time, I think we wouldn't miss a beat w/out him.

Trobe..you're gonna make me cry with this post....:evilshake::greengrin:

LatrobePA
07-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Trobe..you're gonna make me cry with this post....:evilshake::greengrin:

Sorry, I think he is, maybe I'm an idiot (highly unlikely haa)...

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I think he is, maybe I'm an idiot (highly unlikely haa)...

:lol: I think you're right but I'm praying you're not..:greengrin:

Oh and you are not an idiot!! :grin1:

Rampage
07-27-2011, 04:20 PM

The Bergermeister's randomly placed, wobbly kicks couldn't be beat. There were at least a couple of times where he bounced punts off of unsuspecting players and we landed on the ball. Perhaps there's some magic in an old punter with bad hamstrings. :lol:

LatrobePA
07-27-2011, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=TampaSteelGirl;427998Oh and you are not an idiot!! :grin1:[/QUOTE]

hahaha:tt02::cope::tt02::cope:

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 04:28 PM
hahaha:tt02::cope::tt02::cope:

:hot tub::drinkup::beer4::boobbanana:

steelersbabex25
07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
I wish the kid could just stay healthy. He's awesome when his leg isn't broken in 34982034 places/his ACL isn't torn/his MCL isn't torn/whatever else has happened to him in the past few years.

coldrolled
07-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Is he even healthy right now? is he 100%?

connecticutsteel
07-27-2011, 11:23 PM
When you make your living with your leg and it keeps breaking down that's not good . Good guy aside he has to go

uclkyle
07-28-2011, 02:28 AM
I can't wait till he's gone. Never like him, he was a loser. Didn't like the fact that he never disclosed his major knee problems. See ya....

connecticutsteel
07-28-2011, 11:25 AM
There is actually 3 punters in camp Swayze Waters is a punter too he averaged 42.7 ypp in college

K Train
07-28-2011, 01:37 PM
I can't wait till he's gone. Never like him, he was a loser. Didn't like the fact that he never disclosed his major knee problems. See ya....

everyone was well aware he tore his ACL at baylor

Blazedby92
07-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Thank you K
It's unfortunate that he will probably go but can't afford to have him on DL every year plus I thought he would of been good.

Dean Denton
07-30-2011, 04:37 AM
I say keep him and lets hope he gets hurt again. last two times he got hurt we went to the SB.......:)