PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor signs 4 year deal

cmerrifield
07-27-2011, 12:21 AM
Ike signed a four year deal according to both Adam Schefter and LaCanfora's twitter accounts.

From the PG:

All along the Steelers privately expressed confidence that they would re-sign Ike Taylor and tonight they came through by agreeing to a four-year contract with their best cornerback over the past decade. Money terms were not immediately available.

Taylor, who told one member of the organization early this week that he would be back, will return for his ninth season. He cannot officially sign his contract until 6 p.m. on Friday and cannot join his teammates in practice at training camp until Aug. 4, per a new rule under the collective bargaining agreement.

Big T
07-27-2011, 12:21 AM
According to Adam Schefter on Twitter. Very good news.

Big T
07-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Ike Taylor and the Steelers agreed to a 4-year deal. He cannot actually sign a contract yet.

mwittman5
07-27-2011, 12:34 AM
great news, our secondary remains decent. I doubt Gay returns now.

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 12:34 AM
A league source tells us that the Pittsburgh Steelers have found a way to keep their biggest free agent in town.

Cornerback Ike Taylor has agreed to terms on a four-year deal, per a league source.

An eight-year veteran, Taylor was expected to pursue the highest available offer in free agency. The Steelers, who aren’t known to pay market value, likely didn’t.

Taylor quietly had generated some buzz lately. At least one head coach regards him as the most important player on a Pittsburgh defense that is full of star players. Last week, Lawrence Timmons raved about Taylor during a visit to PFT Live.

Taylor consistently matches up with the opponents’ top receiver, and he plays press coverage effectively. He has been a starter for six seasons, including both Super Bowl-winning seasons since 2005.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/ike-taylor-to-stay-in-pittsburgh/

Scorp
07-27-2011, 12:36 AM
If he stays a Steeler he beeter put out when it comes time to play some football.

connecticutsteel
07-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Sweet i hope the rumor is true

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Funny...all the threads we've all posted in and debated. And the second day, boom...Taylor resigns.

Okay...let's restructure some deals, cut some dead weight and look into signing our rookies and going after Ashumugha.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Nnamdi was never an option....The Steelers had to retain Ike....It was the best option...He knows the defensive system and really the Steelers are in position to make another run for a Lombardi.......Lets face it with the D again this could be the last chance at another Super Bowl if the D does fall back some in the next few years...Of course the Steelers will always be a play-off contender but they're still a legit Super Bowl contender now and Ike keeps that intact....

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 01:43 AM
We can all breathe a huge sigh of relief, Ike is back where he belongs. I agree with 32, that while Nnamdi was a nice thing to think about it was a pipe dream. The Rooney's had their sights set on retaining Ike and they got it done.

HUNT4SEVEN
07-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Welcome back Ike, now we gotta get Woodley done which will free up sum more cap space, and then hopefully Timmons, and Troy...

jpele
07-27-2011, 08:22 AM
I don't think there was ever any doubt on Ike returning.

steelersbabex25
07-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Phew...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't think there was ever any doubt on Ike returning.

I don't think there ever was either. Even when Taylor was on all the radio and TV interviews talking about how he'll go wherever the money takes him, or how any place can be home, I still had a feeling he was coming back. He played his cards right and didn't tip his hat off to the media, and in the end the deal was done quickly. This is step 2 in the process. Step 1 was getting some UDFA's signed. Now it's on to getting more of our guys signed and see how we can set ourselves up for 2011.

Zachintosh66
07-27-2011, 10:28 AM
:clap:

now if only they'd cut Gay...

K Train
07-27-2011, 10:38 AM
they dont have to hes a FA

Zachintosh66
07-27-2011, 10:42 AM
oh yeah, forgot... forgive me been a looong offseason

LarryNJ
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Good deal! Way to go Ike & management!

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 10:50 AM
I just hope Woodley is next in line..he's been very patient..

greennick
07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
I just hope Woodley is next in line..he's been very patient..

He's certainly made a few sly comments on FB. Relatively tame compared to some other FAs though.

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 01:57 PM
He's certainly made a few sly comments on FB. Relatively tame compared to some other FAs though.

Yea but FB doesn't count... :grin1:

Blazedby92
07-27-2011, 02:35 PM
LOL Doesn't count
He did it why doesn't it count, he put it out there, recently.
They sale themselves thats just how they do it no big deal or for them they hope

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 05:32 PM
Ike's tweet regarding the new deal:

Ike Taylor took to Twitter about his new, four-year contract: “I would like to thank God, the Rooney family, Kevin Colbert, Coach Tomlin, [and] my super agent Joel Segal for getting this deal done.”

Rampage
07-27-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm very curious to see the value of the contract.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm very curious to see the value of the contract.

Rumors I heard today were around 30 million with 18 guaranteed.

Real Deal Steel
07-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm happy he's back. No doubt. But if you think just getting Ike back is going to make us a serious contender, then your dreaming. This is a copy cat league. And teams will be throwing on all four downs at us now. And against most, we'll be okay. But against the elite passing games, we will be in trouble.

We need another serious secondary upgrade. Or we are all just wasting our time for the coming season.

K Train
07-27-2011, 11:56 PM
and their names are crezdon butler and curtis brown

cmerrifield
07-28-2011, 12:11 AM
and their names are crezdon butler and curtis brown

With Butler spending some time at FS in camp and preseason, I would like to see him give Clark a run for his money. A healthy McFadden, Taylor, Troy and Butler with Brown at nickel wouldnt be a bad secondary.

coldrolled
07-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Ravens Lose Wilson

Ravens Notebook: Wilson leaves to sign with Redskins

Rampage
07-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Rumors I heard today were around 30 million with 18 guaranteed.

That's not too bad, less than I was figuring he would sign for. Hopefully the young guys can step up now and help the secondary improve.

Big T
08-03-2011, 12:28 AM
Thought I'd post this article for those of you wondering what Ike's new contract is.

Ike Taylor contract trails Asomugha, Joseph, Cromartie in average value
Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT

Entering free agency, four players topped the wish list for cornerbacks: Nnamdi Asomuga, Antonio Cromartie, Johnathan Joseph, and Ike Taylor.

We’ve tracked down Taylor’s contract details, which allows a proper comparison.

Taylor, per a source with knowledge of the contract, signed a four-year, $28 million contract. The deal pays out $9.25 million in 2011, via signing bonus ($7.25 million), base salary ($1.25 million), and roster bonus ($750,000). It works out to a cap charge of $3.8125 million in 2011.

The average per year of $7 million puts Taylor behind Asomugha ($12 million per year), Joseph ($9.75 million per year), and Cromartie ($8 million per year).

The fact that Taylor agreed to terms at the end of the first day of free agency suggests that Taylor tried to get a better deal on the open market, but couldn’t find one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/ike-taylor-finishes-last-among-top-four-free-agent-corners/