PDA

View Full Version : The steelers should let Ike Taylor walk

connecticutsteel
07-26-2011, 02:09 AM
With such a low salary cap the steelers have many decisions to make and I'm afraid Ike wants too much money. We might have to sign a couple of serviceable veterans and mix in Lewis, Butler, Brown, and Allen. The worst is that we don't make the playoffs. What happened the last time we didn't make the playoffs, we got Pouncey so if we have to take one on the chin for a better future so be i. I'm not saying I want to lose, I'm only saying Ike is an older player who could mess up the cap for a few years.

Big T
07-26-2011, 02:50 AM
Please use punctuation. Reading that hurts my head.

Dean Denton
07-26-2011, 04:40 AM
keep ike unless we can get or have someone better. this is dicks last year. we need guys that know the system.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Holy run on sentence batman!! I edited it for you so I could breathe when I'm reading it.

The Steelers will not let Ike walk and "mess up the cap for years". When they make a deal they do it so it's cap friendly. The most they will be over the cap is around 10 million. There are plenty of players who can restructure their deals to free up room. Aaron Smith, Roethlisberger, Starks, for example. They can redo Woodley's 1 yr. franchise tag deal and free up a ton of money. They can extend Polamalu's contract and free up space. They can also restructure Harrison's deal.

If they let Ike walk it won't be because of cap room, it will be because he wants too money and they feel he's not worth it.

LatrobePA
07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Lewis is a turd, toss him out. Ike will sign no questions asked..

connecticutsteel
07-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Holy run on sentence batman!! I edited it for you so I could breathe when I'm reading it.

The Steelers will not let Ike walk and "mess up the cap for years". When they make a deal they do it so it's cap friendly. The most they will be over the cap is around 10 million. There are plenty of players who can restructure their deals to free up room. Aaron Smith, Roethlisberger, Starks, for example. They can redo Woodley's 1 yr. franchise tag deal and free up a ton of money. They can extend Polamalu's contract and free up space. They can also restructure Harrison's deal.

If they let Ike walk it won't be because of cap room, it will be because he wants too money and they feel he's not worth it.I'm sorry too all for my lack of punctuation.I was very tired when i posted that.BRC i know that the Steelers won't mess up the cap per se i think he might want the money more than he wants to be a Steeler.

LatrobePA
07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I'm sorry too all for my lack of punctuation.I was very tired when i posted that.BRC i know that the Steelers won't mess up the cap per se i think he might want the money more than he wants to be a Steeler.

The spacer bar should be used after each period too, lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
That's the million dollar question that all of the Steeler Nation has been wondering since the 2010 season ended. How much does Ike want to be a Steeler and finish out his career with the team that loves him, and a city and fan base that love him. It all comes down to the all mighty dollar once again and how much Ike thinks he has to have in what will probably be his final contract of his career, atleast the final big one.

My problem in all this is not that the Steelers won't offer him fair market value, they most certainly will. But how much money is enough for him? If the Steelers offer him another 25 million or 30 million but someone else offers him 35 million..how much is enough? It's not like he's going to have money problems at all the rest of his life. This is what irritates me to no end about sports players. That's a post for a different time though so I'll stop for now, but basically is Ike going to be willing to take a fair deal for the Steelers and finish out his career potentially winning atleast 1 more SB championship, or go somewhere else?

roosterray
07-26-2011, 09:53 AM
If Ike thinks he's gonna get 35 mill, he's not going to last there for 2 years before he gets cut. He's a prototypical system CB. He would absolutely have to fit the system vs. chasing dollars. If he goes for max money, he'll be on a team that doesn't have a good defense. He'll get exposed. If he's smart he'll stay with the Steelers or find a team that is similar in their schemes.

TampaSteelGirl
07-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Im not 100% sold on keeping Ike and giving him the big money..although if they don't keep Ike and keep Willie Gay would that mean Gay would start :thud:

I'd love to see those new rookie CB's out there and see what they have..they HAVE to be better than Gay...I don't like Ike's off season attitude on FB about the Steelers..to stay not to stay....stay tuned i guess..

Rampage
07-26-2011, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to letting him walk if the team could turn around and sign Joseph to a lower contract. I like Ike, but he isn't some ball hawk, shutdown corner. If he thinks he is worth that kind of money and some other team does, well, good luck to the both of them.

Blazedby92
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
He's just playing the hand he has to get as much as he can, don't hate the guy because he wants more money we all do, and if the price is right i'm sure he'll stay here if not Life will go on.

LatrobePA
07-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Not one time have I even heard his name mentioned out there, he's not flashy so I doubt he's gonna excite too many clubs the way other might..

K Train
07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Not one time have I even heard his name mentioned out there, he's not flashy so I doubt he's gonna excite too many clubs the way other might..

eagles, cards, jags, texans, raiders, have all shown interest in him, especially the eagles and red west steelers

TampaSteelGirl
07-26-2011, 12:28 PM
He's just playing the hand he has to get as much as he can, don't hate the guy because he wants more money we all do, and if the price is right i'm sure he'll stay here if not Life will go on.

Its not that i don't like the guy but throw some class in it...Woodley did the right thing, he kept his mouth shut and just waited for the Steelers to speak to him. that's all im bascially saying. I understand if he's looking for a big payday but he's played OK football not BIG payday football IMO. If you want to continue being a Steeler..follow the example of LaMarr Woodley....:yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
07-26-2011, 12:29 PM
eagles, cards, jags, texans, raiders, have all shown interest in him, especially the eagles and red west steelers

I know but if he's holding out for (the DB's name I can't spell) he'll be waiting for a while.

Maybe not, the Cards know him well and may open up their check book to sign him..

It is only day one per say so we'll see..

TampaSteelGirl
07-26-2011, 12:30 PM
I know but if he's holding out for (the DB's name I can't spell) he'll be waiting for a while.

Maybe not, the Cards know him well and may open up their check book to sign him..

And you know the Cards would open the checkbook and take a community collection to get him....

connecticutsteel
07-26-2011, 12:38 PM
The cards have peterson who better to teach Peterson than Ike . I don't know i get the feeling that he likes the money more than the Steelers although he has seen his share of players come back to the Steelers and state that they missed it and missed the winning

SteelDad
07-26-2011, 01:18 PM
The Cards are in play here for two reasons. One, they always take our guys and two, there's a lot of talk about Rodgers-Cromartie being shipped out of AZ for Kolb or perhaps Orton. Ike may be all about the money and we're going to find out very soon.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
The Steelers have to keep Ike or if they don't resign him then bring in a top FA corner........If not then you kiss a chance at the Super Bowl good bye and I'm sorry with Ben still in the prime of his career the Steelers, must do everything possible to keep that window open.....

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Letting Ike go and then going out and signing other Free Agent corners makes zero sense. I would hope the front office knows this and they go hard after Ike. All indications are he is the top priority so it's just a matter of if he wants to come back for a fair price.

He is a key to the secondary; there are young corners that can go opposite Ike and be successful. That's the best case scenario we can hope for. Otherwise we're going get torched by everybody and their brother.

TampaSteelGirl
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
I just dont think the key to our CB problems lie with Ike, meaning our success at the CB position...but I do hope he proves me very wrong if we resign him...I'd like to be proven wrong.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2011, 05:51 PM
Letting Ike go and then going out and signing other Free Agent corners makes zero sense. I would hope the front office knows this and they go hard after Ike. All indications are he is the top priority so it's just a matter of if he wants to come back for a fair price.

He is a key to the secondary; there are young corners that can go opposite Ike and be successful. That's the best case scenario we can hope for. Otherwise we're going get torched by everybody and their brother.

I agree keeping Ike makes the most sense but if the leaves then they must bring somebody in....You can't into the season with McFadden and Gay as your potential starters or one of the young corners.......

K Train
07-26-2011, 06:02 PM
yeah im almost banking on crezdon being a good enough to go player as it is...if we lose ike we need both crezdon and curtis brown to be day one starters/players at least

Big T
07-26-2011, 06:19 PM
I already have confidence in Curtis Brown. It's just something about him.

K Train
07-26-2011, 06:23 PM
oh i do too...but from day one is a lot to ask from 2 players that havent played yet, i think one of them will establish themselves as the NB, it will be interesting to see who cause im really high on crezdon as well as brown

I have lost a lot of faith in mcfadden, but i also have seen him play very well before hopefully he can go back to that. and i think gay will go to AZ

Black@Gold Forever32
07-26-2011, 07:04 PM
I like Brown and Butler as well but they're not ready to be full time starters in the NFL yet.....If those are the starting corners the Steelers will not reach the Super Bowl....You have to strike while the iron is hot in the prime of Ben's career......Don't waste a season.......

Big T
07-26-2011, 07:17 PM
oh i do too...but from day one is a lot to ask from 2 players that havent played yet, i think one of them will establish themselves as the NB, it will be interesting to see who cause im really high on crezdon as well as brown

I have lost a lot of faith in mcfadden, but i also have seen him play very well before hopefully he can go back to that. and i think gay will go to AZ

I agree for sure. I really think Brown can come in a steal the nick spot and eventually split time with BMac as the starter opposite of Ike (who I will believe they will resign). I can't wait to see Curtis Brown in that #23 jersey once Keenan Lewis is cut haha

uclkyle
07-26-2011, 10:39 PM
With such a low salary cap the steelers have many decisions to make and I'm afraid Ike wants too much money. We might have to sign a couple of serviceable veterans and mix in Lewis, Butler, Brown, and Allen. The worst is that we don't make the playoffs. What happened the last time we didn't make the playoffs, we got Pouncey so if we have to take one on the chin for a better future so be i. I'm not saying I want to lose, I'm only saying Ike is an older player who could mess up the cap for a few years.

Only problem with that theory is that our schedule isn't too difficult and the Browns and Bengals still stink. Even if we had a bad season, we are talking 7-9 or 8-8. That means we only get like the 15th or so pick. I'd rather have Ike, win 11 or 12, have a chance at the super bowl and draft in the high 20's or 32.

Big T
07-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Sorry you didn't get your wish lol

DanRooney
07-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Not satisfied until Big Turd William Gay signs with one of the other 31 teams

Blazedby92
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Its not that i don't like the guy but throw some class in it...Woodley did the right thing, he kept his mouth shut and just waited for the Steelers to speak to him. that's all im bascially saying. I understand if he's looking for a big payday but he's played OK football not BIG payday football IMO. If you want to continue being a Steeler..follow the example of LaMarr Woodley....:yellowthumb:

Each their own is all I was saying, do what you have to do to make your money, the man is alot better than most think, he's shut down some good WR in games and he's been burnt too, yeah he can't catch a ball so what that's why he's a DB not a WR. And now he's getting paid
Welcome back Ike