PDA

View Full Version : Et tu, Rooney?

AZ_Steeler
01-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet because there are some interesting points brought up in this blog! Here is one of them...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07010/752661-360.stm

"I am really down about the departure of "Cawhr", as you so fittingly referred to him as on Blog'N'Gold. I apologize for the length of this rant, but I feel I need to vent my Iron City anguish.

I feel as though I totally took him for granted and the ol' saying about not knowing what you have until it's gone is ringing continuously in my ears. I just can't believe we'll never again see the "Jaw" shouting "Let's go! Let's go!" following a momentum changing play. I watched his behind the scenes program on the Steeler History DVD and had a huge rock in my throat the whole time. I then realized that he is the face of the Steeler nation. Yes, it was created in the 70's, but he reenergized it into a near national religion for the better part of 2 decades.

I am very fearful of his return to the NFL in 2008 and that will crush me as a Steeler fan and as a loyal admirer of his. While I believe his return to an opposing sideline will be tough to take, I will show no mercy towards him if he ends up in Cleveland or any other divisional rival. How can he look into the camera and say "I'm one of you" and pull that stunt? The mere thought of that potential scenario makes me horribly sick. But for some reason I feel as though it is a legitimate possibility.

I feel as though our culprit in this shocking turn of events is the new heir to the Rooney throne. His introduction of Cowher at the press conference was pathetic. Especially considering he was your coach of 15 years and brought home a Super Bowl in the process. Plus the fact he brought back the Steeler nation which definitely made the Rooneys wealthier than they already were. The two of them did not even shake hands and Cowher did not even thank him. There is considerable evidence to something going completely sour somewhere along the way. How could Cowher be such an emotional guy as we know and yet not shed a single tear at his exodus from his dream job in his hometown unless he was severely hurt or disrespected at the top?

http://www.post-gazette.com/images4/20060106pd_cowher0105k_230.jpg
There is much symbolism in this picture, a reader suggests.

This slight could not have come from the old man, as their mutual affection has been clearly evident for years. Just THREE seasons ago Cowher said he would not be leaving any time soon. He said he loved the fact that he was raising his children here and that he still had a daughter that was in 7th grade. What changed from then until now? Nothing except Dan Rooney steeping aside for his son to take control of day to day operations. If you thought that their apparent tension with each other at the press conference was a coincidence, then I recommend looking at the tape of the AFC Championship in Denver and the Super Bowl. They don't shake hands, no pats on the back, not smiles, not even a glance at each other. Meanwhile, Dan and Bill embrace numerous times like father and son. Could it be that the new Rooney is jealous of the relationship between his father and the jaw? (See: "Gladiator" the movie) Could it be that Art knows the previous two generations of Rooneys are in Canton and unless he has a chance to make his own decisions and hiring he never will? Could it be that he knows Cowher is the Pittsburgh Steelers and he'll never be?

My suspicions are total speculation except for the evident tension on camera. But I also believe that the potential reasons I give for the recent sad chain of events make more sense than all of the official reasons we've been given. Something horrible had to happen for Bill to walk away from his dream job without a trace of remorse. Power struggles occur constantly in corporate America. Cowher found himself in one with Tom Donahoe in 1999. He won that battle, but there was no winning the one he may have found himself in recently.

Regardless of what happens you can bet that this Steeler fan will tip many a drink in 2007 to one William Laird Cowher."

-- Stephen S. Orr, Mt. Lebanon

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2007, 12:44 PM
We'll probably never know the real full reasons unless he does a "in your own words" segment 20 years from now and chooses to tell everyone. On the flip side though, life changes all the time and perhaps the thought of missing 2 of his daughters grow up so much from working that he felt compelled to not miss out on the 3rd so much?

Either way, yes indeed I will toast Cawhr Pawhr many times in the future !

BBG7
01-12-2007, 12:59 PM
I see some great points in this blog. Thanks for posting!

TampaSteelGirl
01-12-2007, 05:47 PM
I was a believer that Cowher didn't want money, just to get out but I heard from a friend who was visiting in Pittsburgh that Cowher did actually ask for 8million...Really can you blame the guy who gave the Rooneys 15yrs of undying devotion and a Super Bowl and they couldn't even sweeten the pot enough to make him want to stay! I think the Rooneys are being selfish with their money like it says inthe article, Cowher regenerated the Steeler nation and made the Rooney's even richer than they were...I'm sure he was disappointed by their disrepect of him...I definately feel he's worth the money and it's a shame that every other team can see it will offer it...Look how many players took pay cuts to stay a Steeler, i'm sure Cowher helped..so what did he get in return? Nothing!! I don't blame Cowher a bit now, perhaps the reason he didn't seem the same this season was becuase of the disappointment the Rooneys instilled in him..He's been with us 15 years and he still makes a measly 4-5 million...I can't believe it!! Well at least the team whose willing to make him the highest paid coach in the NFL whoever it may be knows his worth and is willing to pay him for it...I don't blame you know Coach Cowher, I wish you were still with us but perhaps the Rooneys will feel as this guy did that you don't know what you had till it's gone!!!! Asses!!!

BBG7
01-12-2007, 07:05 PM
I'm with you Tampa. Cowher did a lot for the Steelers and I think he was really only asking for 7 million which still doesn't put him as the highest paid coach in the NFL. I think there were a lot of egos making the decision. I really hope the decision doesn't come back to bite us in the end. Even though I think the Steelers might benefit from a fresh face.

TampaSteelGirl
01-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks yea I think Cowher was probably very hurt by their decisions..HOpe any coach that wants to be a Steeler HC knows they aren't going to make any real money! It might bite us in different ways!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-12-2007, 09:24 PM
The Rooney's have never overpaid for anybody including coaches or players. If they believe what they offer you is fair and you don't want it, tough shiate.

They stick to their morals you gotta give them that.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-12-2007, 11:21 PM
.Really can you blame the guy who gave the Rooneys 15yrs of undying devotion and a Super Bowl and they couldn't even sweeten the pot enough to make him want to stay! I think the Rooneys are being selfish with their money like it says inthe article, Cowher regenerated the Steeler nation and made the Rooney's even richer than they were...I'm sure he was disappointed by their disrepect of him...I definately feel he's worth the money and it's a shame that every other team can see it will offer it...Look how many players took pay cuts to stay a Steeler, i'm sure Cowher helped..so what did he get in return? Nothing!! I don't blame Cowher a bit now, perhaps the reason he didn't seem the same this season was becuase of the disappointment the Rooneys instilled in him..He's been with us 15 years and he still makes a measly 4-5 million...I can't believe it!! Well at least the team whose willing to make him the highest paid coach in the NFL whoever it may be knows his worth and is willing to pay him for it...I don't blame you know Coach Cowher, I wish you were still with us but perhaps the Rooneys will feel as this guy did that you don't know what you had till it's gone!!!! Asses!!!

Good points !! Now I'll play devil's advocate for the other side...

The Rooneys also gave 15 yrs of undying devotion to him, no pressure to win just do the job. They have always been frugal and don't have a history of overpaying anyone in the organization. The players are willing to take be slightly underpaid to remain a STEELER, why not the coach?? A measly 4-5 million ??? WTF is measly about 6 or 7 million, a little less than 8 million, but enough to get by on. I don't blame the Rooneys or Cowher , they both have their reasons and the both think they are right. Perhaps Cowher will also long for the greener grass of home after he's gone, and realizes what he left.
Here's to ya COWHER, your alright in my book until ya play the STEELERS !!!

DIESELMAN
01-12-2007, 11:25 PM
whatever the reasons both sides came to a mutual decision that it was time to part ways. If Cowher feels disrespected then props to him for leaving, who would want to stay in an environment like that and maybe grow worse from day to day if he stayed. Everybody knows how they want to be treated in their personal and professional lives and when they don't get what they think they deserve then its time to fly. My hats off to both the Rooneys and Cowher for lasting 15 years. When I get home a toast and a holler is coming Bills way for Good Luck!!!

Iron City South
01-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Steelers will not be held hostage to any coaching demands .... EVER! Quite frankly, I'm happy the Rooney's held their ground if this was the case. I'd rather see the money spent on the talent that actually plays between the hash marks.

The Steelers are in the business of building coaches careers in the same way they build players ..... Once they're developed and proven, we will rarely bow to the economics of what top tier talent is commanding in the league.

Personally, I don't want the Steelers to ever buy a superstar ..... I want to see them make one. :tt02: