PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Season Thoughts

chisteeler
07-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Hello ladies and gentlemen,
I have not posted in a while, but I just wanted to get you feelings on the potential upcoming season. With the possibility of the lockout ending, who do you see having immediate success and heartbreaking failure?
For example, the Browns have a new coach who has not even been able to implement his system. The Panthers think that Cam Newton is the answer, as do the Bengels with their problems at QB.
I think that the Steelers are actually going to be hot out of the gate, depending on our secondary.
Any thoughts?

Peace to all,
Chisteeler :tt02:

SteelCurtainYinzer
07-25-2011, 12:32 AM
When things get finished and it looks as if it will wrap up here in the next day or two, things are going to be crazy. That is an understatement. While most General Managers and coaches have the had the opportunity to discuss time and time again what they need to make sure their team is ready for the up coming season the one under lying issue that most teams have had is how much money are they going to be able to spend and how nearly five months of down time on the players they have is going to impact these guys over the next 40 day. Teams like the Panthers and the Browns are going to have issues, any team that fell in the bottem third is going to have a difficult time ramping up because they will have new players and coaches who haven't had the opportunity to really work.
I surmize the first week of camp is going to be all conditioning and classroom. Yes they will hit the pads but getting back into the routine of things will be the hardest.
At team like the Steelers, who have many vets on the squad know what to do and perhaps the rest of five months off could be good for them mentally and physically. I expect this team to be able to jump up and play some pretty good football from the get go. Hopefully, they can be ahead of the curve and take the division early so they don't run into a situation where they are fighting at the end. I say this because we are going to see teams only begining to gell mid-season and if that is the case and we haven't put a few games between the teams in our division we are going to pay the price at the end.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2011, 12:37 AM
The Browns and Bengals won't be factors in the AFC North at all this year.......So the AFC North will be won by either the Steelers or Ravens......I would consider both teams to be legit Super Bowl contenders as well.....Really the AFC is easy to predict.....Pats, Jets, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers all will make the play-offs........Last spot will come down between who wins the AFC South....I like the Colts but this might be the year the Texans finally break through......I think the Dolphins, Bills, Browns, Bengals, Jags, Titans, Broncos all will suck.......

The Raiders and Chiefs will challenge the Chargers for the AFC West....But I expect the Chiefs to fall back some this year but the Raiders could be an interesting team.......But in the end the Chargers will prevail in the AFC West.....To much talent on that team for them to miss the play-offs again.....

LatrobePA
07-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Bungles will be better than you all think, hell even the stains will be better, but I agree it's the Rats and Steelers div to lose..

K Train
07-25-2011, 10:07 AM
i think the bengals are legit in contenders for #1 overall with the broncos, cards, and skins.

browns could be an 8 win team, i like mccoy i think he'll make strides this year, they still arent one to worry about.

so like everyone said, steelers ravens....and im ok with that, its worked out so far

SteelCurtainYinzer
07-25-2011, 10:22 AM
i think the bengals are legit in contenders for #1 overall with the broncos, cards, and skins.

browns could be an 8 win team, i like mccoy i think he'll make strides this year, they still arent one to worry about.

so like everyone said, steelers ravens....and im ok with that, its worked out so far

The Bengals will be lucky to win 3 games this season...while they have a few talented players on the team, Carson Palmer quit, they don't have a legit WR and they need to resign Cedric Benson, which I see them doing.
So yes they they will contend for the number one draft pick. Brown's have troubles with a new coach being in town, but McCoy is a real threat as a QB. I wished the Steelers had picked him up as a back up to Ben. He was a great QB at Texas and he seems to have something special, I can't pin point it but it's there.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Bungles will be better than you all think, hell even the stains will be better, but I agree it's the Rats and Steelers div to lose..

Andy Dalton starting at QB will really hold the Bengals back this year.......Really I don't see him starting right out of the gate now with the lock out.......Who then will the Bengals start since Carson isn't coming back to play for the Bengals......Big hole at QB for the Bengals.....Plus they have to resign one of the best corners in Joseph......

I think the Bengals win 4-5 games tops

The Browns could be an interesting team but they have no WR's that scare you unless Greg Little has Randy Moss type rookie year....With the lock out I don't think that is going to happen.....I also think Colt McCoy is in the wrong city......He might turn out to be a good NFL QB but he doesn't have the arm to play outside in Cleveland when the weather turns bad.....

Browns win 6-7 games this year....

K Train
07-25-2011, 12:50 PM
wont be randy moss tpye rookie year, but could definitely see him eating up defesnese like boldin did as a rookie

mwittman5
07-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I think its going to be a pretty good season, the schedule is pretty easy outside of games against the ravens, colts, and patriots so 12-4 is a real possibility. Even if the steelers lose to the ravens once and to the patriots and colts, then there are not many teams on the schedule that should beat us if the team doesn't take anyone lightly. 13-3 is a possibility but I say 12-4 just because the Steelers always seem to drop one game to a lesser opponent.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2011, 01:31 PM
wont be randy moss tpye rookie year, but could definitely see him eating up defesnese like boldin did as a rookie

I think the lock out puts this rookie class behind the 8ball....I don't see any rookie right away tearing it up......The rookie class hasn't even had a chance to learn the play-books or anything of that nature yet........

K Train
07-25-2011, 01:37 PM
thats why i give little a competitive edge over the rest though...hes so versatile. They will get him involved in the short passing game and run screens and send him out of the backfield.

Hes built like a TE, runs like hes a RB thats pissed off at the grass, and probably has the best hands of any WR in the class...i wouldnt expect his transistion to be hard, espeically with colts weaker, yet very accurate arm and high efficiency passing game and littles after the catch ability.

i may be wrong, but hes a legit ROY canidate, as i expect him to get touches early

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
thats why i give little a competitive edge over the rest though...hes so versatile. They will get him involved in the short passing game and run screens and send him out of the backfield.

Hes built like a TE, runs like hes a RB thats pissed off at the grass, and probably has the best hands of any WR in the class...i wouldnt expect his transistion to be hard, espeically with colts weaker, yet very accurate arm and high efficiency passing game and littles after the catch ability.

i may be wrong, but hes a legit ROY canidate, as i expect him to get touches early

I love Greg Little...wish he was a Steeler.....Its going to be interesting to see how the lock out has effected the rookies from learning the NFL ropes....I expect many of the rookies to struggle at first....I agree Little could easily be ROY but at the same time Little doesn't have much help around him...If he starts out fast then defenses easily could defend him and force the other Brown's WR's to beat them......Greg Little is the Browns best WR at this point......

steelerschick1220
07-25-2011, 10:07 PM
I see the divison coming down to the Ravens/Steelers again. Browns will be better win 7 or 8 games I think but still a few years away from being a legit contender. Bengals are a complete and total mess and should consider it a good a year if they aren't picking in the top five in next year's draft.

connecticutsteel
07-25-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm interested to see who we cut cause we are 11 million over the cap i know one will be sepulveda suisam,probably hills maybe colon hines ward also maybe a casulty

Speeed
07-25-2011, 11:50 PM
I will be staring at the calendar for the next few months. I will not eat, I will not sleep, I will not go to work, I will only stare at the calendar until opening day. . . . .

I almost forgot. Steelers win 11 games and play the Browns for the division. Living in Baltimore with my finger on the pulse of teamdom and fandom down here, I don't think Baltimore will make the playoffs.

Real Deal Steel
07-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Bengals will not be a factor. Rookie QB means the division loads the box up against Benson or whoever is running the ball and gives Dalton nightmares all season.

Browns are a team that will be effected big time by the lockout. Mccoy needed the extra reps to make that second year leap. Plus...the secondary also needed an opportunity to gel too. So the Steelers and Ravens will still be taking advantage of the secondary of the Browns.

Bottom line is that it will be the Ravens and Steelers will be looking at division titles and a wildcard position.

mwittman5
07-26-2011, 12:16 AM
I will be staring at the calendar for the next few months. I will not eat, I will not sleep, I will not go to work, I will only stare at the calendar until opening day. . . . .

I almost forgot. Steelers win 11 games and play the Browns for the division. Living in Baltimore with my finger on the pulse of teamdom and fandom down here, I don't think Baltimore will make the playoffs.

theres no way the ravens miss the playoffs unless they suffer some bad injuries.

TampaSteelGirl
07-26-2011, 12:36 PM
I agree here...I honestly think the Browns will have a better season with McCoy as QB...hell I was a bit nervous playing them last year. Not so sure about the Bungles..depends on who they get as a QB...I don't think even Brett Farve (OMG i know) can come in and clean up that mess of an organization!:eek1:

Speeed
07-26-2011, 07:35 PM
theres no way the ravens miss the playoffs unless they suffer some bad injuries.

Maybe, but my money is they won't make it. I think Flacco, as good as he has been, will have another Flacco year, just not as good as previous ones. Lewis is getting old too, and he is the foundation of their defense.

Let me put it this way: I think if the Ravens beat the Steelers the first game, they make the playoffs. If not, I think that is the beginning of the end for Flacco.

uclkyle
07-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I think the Ravens are a worse team with their recent releases of some high profile players. I think we are still as good as last year. As of right now, I'm predicting 11-5, win the AFC North. With Big Ben, Hines, and Harrison, anything can happen in the playoffs. We are a tested playoff team and I like our chances no matter the odds in January.

Root4Stlrs
07-27-2011, 09:39 AM
Maybe, but my money is they won't make it. I think Flacco, as good as he has been, will have another Flacco year, just not as good as previous ones. Lewis is getting old too, and he is the foundation of their defense.

Let me put it this way: I think if the Ravens beat the Steelers the first game, they make the playoffs. If not, I think that is the beginning of the end for Flacco.

I think Flacco has maxed out his potential as an NFL quarterback. I don't know about the Ravens this year - last year I was worried about them b/c of their off season additions, but as long as Flacco is their QB, I think the Steelers will continue to have the upper hand.

TampaSteelGirl
07-27-2011, 10:14 AM
I think Flacco has maxed out his potential as an NFL quarterback. I don't know about the Ravens this year - last year I was worried about them b/c of their off season additions, but as long as Flacco is their QB, I think the Steelers will continue to have the upper hand.

Personally I think the Steelers have mind screwed Flacco...he looks like a scared cat out there when he plays us and I think our defense just gets in his head so bad he can't play well against us..Flacco's Superbowl would be beating the Steelers with all our players healthy and playing.....:grin1:

chisteeler
07-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Personally I think the Steelers have mind screwed Flacco...he looks like a scared cat out there when he plays us and I think our defense just gets in his head so bad he can't play well against us..Flacco's Superbowl would be beating the Steelers with all our players healthy and playing.....:grin1:

Good post.
I agree that our D is in his head. He'll have a few good plays from time to time, but I'm sure he's silently breathing a sigh of relief when that happens, so in turn he is not confident in his abilities on a consistent basis to be the "Joe Cool" that he is when playing other teams. No ice water in his veins, just Luke warm water.:yellowthumb:

Speeed
07-27-2011, 09:26 PM

Funny, that echos my comments exatcly to my friends, both Steelers and Ravens fans. If Flacco beats the Steelers against Ben, Baltimore will explode. It will be their Super Bowl win. I guess I can't blame them. The downside is living in Baltimore; many Ravens fans, who are already rude, will be even ruder and talk like this is the beginning of the end of Pittsburgh and the beginning of untold Glory.

I kinda' feel sorry for Flacco, who never really badmouths. Their coach, and many others on the team, do, and for that reason, I hope they kill the Ravens every single time. Too bad, Flacco is okay in my book. I would like to see him do well, just not against us!

Root4Stlrs
07-27-2011, 10:05 PM

Flacco generally stinks in big games period. I just saw him talking about why he doesn't understand why "people" question his performance since Baltimore continues to win games. This was right after he said that he knew he had to win the big one. It seemed to me like he immediately contradicted himself.

Speeed
07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Flacco generally stinks in big games period. I just saw him talking about why he doesn't understand why "people" question his performance since Baltimore continues to win games. This was right after he said that he knew he had to win the big one. It seemed to me like he immediately contradicted himself.

Ha, they win games, but not "The Game."

Black@Gold Forever32
07-28-2011, 01:07 AM
Flacco squats to pee when it counts....I have always said it and it remains true....

MattyVfromCT
07-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Raven fans just don't get it. Flacco is an average run of the mill qb. They all have this belief that he's going to become an elite qb in the same class as brady, manning, ben, rodgers, etc but he doesn't have it. It being the mental toughness and ability for the game to slow down in his mind. When the pressure is on he gets flustered and folds like a rag doll. And raven fans are so quick to point out his number of playoff wins but other than the chiefs game last year he's stunk it up in the playoffs while the defense and running game did all the work. Prime example the new england win in the 09 playoffs he was 3 for 10 for 30 something yards, 0 td's and a pick while the d picked brady 3 times and they put up over 200 yds on the ground.

And I think it speaks volumes that in year 3, their coaching staff STILL didn't trust him enough to allow him to call audibles. And these raven fans just don't seem to get why there are tons of other qb's ranked ahead of flacco....

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk