PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu's contract on the horizon as well for Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
07-22-2011, 06:01 PM
In the midst of all the lockout hoopla, the Ike Taylor priority signing that needs to happen, Woodley's franchise tag deal, Lawrence Timmons deal that will need to be done coming up there is another one who's deal is soon set to expire.

The epic Safety that has been with the Steelers for such a long time will have a decision to make, as will the Steelers. Will they make the popular move and get him signed to a new deal that will allow him to finish as a Steeler? Or given his injury problems the last few years do they cut ties with him and move on? It might not be such an easy question to answer when the time comes.

Since the Steelers will have some restructuring to do to get under the cap, signing Troy to a new, more cap friendly deal this year would be a significant help. It's an option they are certainly considering I'm sure. Perhaps they'll just extend his current deal with new terms. The Steelers are not afraid to let a player who's had injury problems play out the last year of their deal and see if they can stay healthy. A guy like Polamlu though, one would think he'll be a priority either now or next year...the problem is will there be enough time or tags available if needed?

» Polamalu will cost a mint. Baltimore's Ed Reed, Polamalu's only peer among safeties, is 32 and entering the final year of a six-year, $40 million contract. The highest-paid safety in NFL history is Kansas City's Eric Berry, drafted last year and signed to a six-year, $60 million contract, with $34 million guaranteed. If that's the bar, it's hard to fathom Polamalu getting less than $10 million annually.

Polamalu's four-year, $30 million contract, which made him the Steelers' highest-paid player when signed in 2007, calls for $6.4 million this coming season. But the salary-cap hit is $8.6 million. With the Steelers projected to be about $10 million over the NFL's likely new cap of $120.4 million, an extension would help right away. And let's be real: This is the last year for this defense.

Moreover, future cost certainty comes with sealing up Polamalu, Woodley and Taylor, as that allows management to place the franchise tag next year on Lawrence Timmons. Let Timmons earn an extension with a first Pro Bowl appearance.
I brought a lot of this up Thursday with Marvin Demoff, Polamalu's California-based agent, and he sounded like a man ready to take a call.

"The Steelers always have done this sort of thing the year before a contract is up," Demoff said. "There's been no discussion yet, but I'd say it's highly likely that was because of the lockout. We'd be open to it, sure. Troy's played there eight years and wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh."Full Article from the Trib (Kovacevic:%20Polamalu%20is%20a%20%27mane%20priori ty%27%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_747918.html#ixzz1SsDx3bgQ)

BlitzburghRockCity
07-22-2011, 06:07 PM
I've been as critical of Troy as everyone else these last few years. When he's healthy and on the field he is still as good as ever. He showed that in the first half of 2011. However when he gets hurt, he's down for weeks, even months and then the secondary struggles. I wouldn't say it's a no brainer to bring him back, however if they don't then you absolutely must draft a Safety, high in the 2012 draft.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Article pointed out that it will be probably cost the Steelers a mint to retain Troy......I say with his history of injuries then I would pass on resigning....But they must have a replacement ready to step in and right now that safety isn't on the roster....I'm not a sentimental type fan....Coaches and players come and go.............

BlitzburghRockCity
07-23-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't know that the Steelers are ready to give up on Troy yet, but if they did there is zero doubt that we have noone on the roster now to step in and play close to his level when he's healthy. Even if they were planning on waiting till the end of his deal to sign him, doing it this year is probably going to help them more by freeing up cap space. With 2 aging veterans in Polamalu and Hampton, the next 2 upcoming drafts are going to be crucial for taking care of those 2 areas.

His health just worries me, he's so good when he's on the field but he's missed so much time in recent years.

Rampage
07-23-2011, 01:37 PM
I love Troy: He has fantastic skills, an asset to the defense and a great guy, but his durability is a huge issue. I don't want to see Rod Woodson 2.0, but I also don't want to see the team break the bank for a guy who can't always make an impact.

mwittman5
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/24/polamalus-agent-expects-contract-discussion/

Polamalu's agent expects contract discussions:

The Steelers have plenty they need to accomplish in free agency when the lockout ends. They also would surely like to get franchise player Lamarr Woodley locked up long term.

When the frenzy dies down in a few weeks, they should start thinking of their homegrown players they can re-sign. Linebacker Lawrence Timmons comes to mind. Oh, and some guy named Polamalu is a free agent in 2012 that might get a new deal.

“There’s been no discussion yet, but I’d say it’s highly likely that was because of the lockout. We’d be open to it, sure,” Polamalu’s agent Marvin Demoff told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Troy’s played there eight years and wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh.”

Demoff points out that the Steelers usually take care of a player like Polamalu the year before his contract is up. That’s this year. Like Demoff, we’d be surprised if the Steelers don’t aggressively look to lock him up despite his age (30) and injury history.

Pittsburgh is usually hesitant to make big deals to over-30 players, but there are exceptions. And Demoff says Polamalu won’t be the type to keep playing after his decline truly sets in.

“That’s not Troy,” Demoff said. “He’s not the type to keep playing when he’s not at a high level. No offense, but he’s not going to be Brett Favre.”

Black@Gold Forever32
07-24-2011, 04:54 PM
**** doesn't matter if he Troy's skill is declining if he can't play at all.....lol Steelers better be smart in resigning Troy......With Troy's injury history and him over 30 isn't a good mix......

BlitzburghRockCity
07-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Troy has said he wants to finish his career in Pittsburgh. Who can blame him, Lebeau has a defense tailor made for his type of play. You can't find a defense that will let you free lance the way he does just anywhere.

I think they'll be smart about it, resigning him. They don't throw money around like other teams do. He won't demand a ton of money, that's not his style. If they offer him fair market value he'll take it I would imagine.

K Train
07-24-2011, 11:29 PM
not really interested. money could be spent better elsewhere, love him as critical as i am on him but you cant pay top dollar to a guy whos a part time player and part time IR liability

connecticutsteel
07-24-2011, 11:37 PM
i dont think troy will ask for huge money he may even retire
k train i garuntee you'll miss him when he's gone

K Train
07-24-2011, 11:51 PM
theres no way i can see him not asking for huge money.

life will go on without troy, i promise

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2011, 12:07 AM
I won't miss him at all....lol He isn't one of my favorite Steelers......He is great when healthy and that is a big if with him anymore.....

Blazedby92
07-25-2011, 02:17 PM
He's one of those players when he's on man he is good but people seem to overlook his faults and one of his worst and very critical faults is his whiffed tackles.
We will be alright without Troy the front office will find a replacement.

Zachintosh66
07-27-2011, 09:36 AM
hope they have a stipulation for games he actually plays... hurt far too much

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 10:45 AM
theres no way i can see him not asking for huge money.

life will go on without troy, i promise

Oh there is no doubt he's going to want big money; I just don't think he'll rock the boat that much and make a new deal hard to work out. It's a guarantee that they will try and resign him at this point, possibly this year yet. Life would/will go on if he doesn't come back but right now who on this roster is capable of playing near his level even when he isn't healthy?

xxxsteelernation
07-28-2011, 05:50 AM
I'm going to go against pretty much everyone here and say. troy is the centerpiece for our defense. yes he has been hurt recently but troy is a game changer and there is no one in the NFL or in college now that can have that kind of impact. that he does. i would rather lose 3 or 4 games with him injured in the season and have him in the playoffs healthy.. our points per game with him is off the charts remarkable and the two or three games missed is discusting.. resigning troy for the long haul is a must.