PDA

View Full Version : The elmination of training camp "2 a days" affects the fans too.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-20-2011, 07:31 PM
One of the hot topics around the NFL circles today especially, is the possibility that as part of the new CBA, training camp 2 a day practices could be eliminated.

For as much as I absolutely despise Bart Scott, he took a stand today and tweeted that getting rid of this element of training camp is a bad idea:
"I think it's wimping out, making football more soft," Scott said, according to the newspaper. "No reason to try and make camp easy. I would imagine there are many NFL players that would like see training camp practices limited to 1 per day, but it's also a safe bet that many players agree with Scott. Either way it's potentially a big change in how much on the field work can get done on a daily basis during camp. Granted that many 2 a days involve just a walk through in 1 session and then pads in the other but there are times when you get 2 padded practices per day and they are important to the younger guys especially. A better idea might be to limit the amount of 2 a days perhaps rather than take them away completely, or set a structure down on how the 2 a days can be run.

As far as fans go though, this affects us too. For those of us that enjoy attending training camp, many of the times that teams open up camp to the public are on days where there are 2 practices in 1 day. They will close the morning practice and open the afternoon workouts, or vice versa. The fans voice in this doesn't mean much and in the grand scheme of things during this lockout, it doesn't mean much of anything. We know that, we accept it. We're not part of the CBA talks, and I'm not suggesting we necessarily should be. We're not players, most of us have never participated in an NFL training camp, so we don't know their end of it in that sense. Regardless though if this does come to fruition, the ramifications will trickle down to the fans and further disconnect us from the teams we love and support. Ticket prices and merchandise costs are already higher than ever. Training camp is a way for the fans to get great access to our beloved team. Impacting that is not good no matter how you slice it.

SteelCityMan786
07-20-2011, 09:13 PM
I say keep em, but maybe limit the number of two-a-days. This is one of the seasons where they can come in handy with all of the lost time due to the lockout. Although seeing how some of the northern most environments have had to suffer some brutal heat this year, I won't be stunned if it actually proves to be a benefit. So to Bart Scott, good call.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-21-2011, 08:17 AM
With training camps more than likely being less intense than normal this year, it perhaps wouldn't be such bad thing but going forward during normal offseasons I still think having 2 a days is a good thing during camp.