PDA

View Full Version : Training camp injuries could be significantly higher.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Every year a big concern heading into training camp and during camp, is injuries. Normally by this time the rookies have had several months of workouts with the team, countless hours learning the playbook, and are entering training camp in the best shape of their lives. Even the veterans enter camp in their best shape that they'll be in all year. Everyone is healthy, fresh, and ready to go.

Even with all that you always have a significant number of players that suffer ankle sprains and hamstring injuries that limit their time in preseason and practice. Now with the players on their own this offseason, especially the rookies, the potential for injury could be significantly higher. Perhaps not quite so much for the veterans because most of them have been working out on their own to get ready and already have a routine that benefits them personally the most. The draft picks though haven't been able to work out with the team and have had to rely on what worked for them in college. The young players are in great shape yes, but an NFL training camp is a whole new experience and with no time to prepare it could become costly for many teams. If for no other reason that the veterans know what it takes to keep their own body in shape and limit the possibility of injuries they may have experienced in the past.

It's just another potential issue resulting from this blasted lockout that's been going on all spring and summer.

LatrobePA
07-19-2011, 09:55 AM
I was thinking the same thing...

K Train
07-19-2011, 10:13 AM
lets just hope these guys are being professionals and staying in shape, im more worried about the older players that are using the loackout to rest than i am about guys like pouncey, timmons, hood, woodley, ect

BlitzburghRockCity
07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
From what we can tell on the social media outlet, all the players have been working out regularly to stay in shape this offseason. You can see their updates almost daily about it. The older guys, I would hope and imagine, know their bodies well enough to not overdo their workouts so they don't get burned out too soon. The rest that the older guys are getting especially could be a big help this season.

One guy I'm anxious to see enter camp is the Big Snack Casey Hampton. With this not so normal offseason I hope he's been staying ready to go and hasn't ballooned up by epic proportions.

With all the work the draft picks (especially the late round guys) are going to need to put in, missing any time due to injury could be catastrophic to their ability to make the team.

Phenomenal TJ
07-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Yeah, everyone I've talked to has been doing their own personal workouts, most of them with trainers. Things like cramps, strains and sprains can't be prevented though. Sure you can minimalize the chances by stretching properly, etc. But they're for the most part still going to happen.

jpele
07-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Hines has been dancing to the "beer barrel polka" . :stirpot:

Real Deal Steel
07-20-2011, 12:23 AM
We will see a high rate of hamstring injuries. Players trying to get ready too fast.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-20-2011, 02:26 PM
We will see a high rate of hamstring injuries. Players trying to get ready too fast.

Hamstring injuries will always be an issue for teams. I hope this year we can avoid Hines' seemingly yearly bout with them. More conditioning early and less 2 a days will be something we'll probably notice in this years camp, atleast in the first 2 weeks.

LatrobePA
07-20-2011, 05:08 PM
20 bucks says Tomlin runs the same camp as years past maybe even a bit tougher!

No two a days are for teams that don't want to win!!

This team will have a chip after MT works their asses over...

LarryNJ
07-21-2011, 11:12 AM
I assumed that the draft picks were working out with some of the vets. Am I wrong? It would only make sense that some of the vets would take them under their arm and go over playbooks and such.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2011, 12:02 AM
Since the draft picks were not signed to a deal or anything of that nature it's my understanding that they were advised not to participate in organized workouts. If they were to sustain an injury it would greatly diminish their chances to make the team and sign a deal. From watching the social media outlets I know that some of them have talked with vets on a regular basis but very few have actually worked out with future team members up to now.

As far as camp goes, the first few days are walk throughs and conditioning drills, getting ready for camp. We'll start getting our first looks at the new players and how they prepared for the upcoming camp.