PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger will tie the knot on July 23 at Ohio Township church

BlitzburghRockCity
07-17-2011, 04:07 PM
People living near Ohio Township's Christ Church at Grove Farm are used to heavy traffic on Sundays.

But it's going to be especially busy around the church next Saturday as well. That's when Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, 29, will exchange wedding vows with New Castle native Ashley Harlan, 26, at the church, according to workers there.
Maintenance workers vacuuming carpets at the all-but-empty church Saturday afternoon said they've been aware of the wedding plans for some time.

"We got an email saying, 'Try to keep it low-key,' " said Pete Lawrence, a facilities worker employed by the church.

The chapel at the Anglican-based worship center off Duff Road in a wooded area seats several hundred people. The main building is surrounded by smaller buildings and hundreds of parking spaces.

Guests -- expected to number in the hundreds -- will need to present a photo ID, Mr. Lawrence said.

"I know it's going to be secure," he said. "I guess we'll find out when it goes down."
Mr. Roethlisberger, originally from Findlay, Ohio, met Ms. Harlan, a physician's assistant, in 2005. The couple have closely guarded their wedding plans, with Mr. Roethlisberger admitting his engagement in April, months after rumors first circulated.
Church volunteers and program directors apparently were given an early, but vague, description of the plans.

"We were told there was a big event, that it was going to be crowded," said Charles Groves, who directs a men's Bible-study class at the church.

"We were told, if possible, not to come around the church Saturday because of security."

Ohio Township's police department is just a few hundred yards from Christ Church at Grove Farm. Officers there acknowledged the wedding but said they weren't certain of security or traffic plans.

Business owners and managers near the church said they hadn't been told about the wedding but weren't surprised at the location. "Ben goes to church there," said Ed Kalchthaler, manager at Mt. Nebo Pizza Roma. "We already deal with a lot of Steelers and Penguins."

Police frequently direct traffic around the church on Sundays, he said, so it's likely to be business as usual for store owners.

Margaret Zierenberg, who's lived near the church for 50 years, laughed when she heard the news.

"It wouldn't affect us," she said. "But I'm sure on that day there's going to be new traffic here."

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11198/1161019-66.stm#ixzz1SOYLG6fH)

BlitzburghRockCity
07-17-2011, 04:09 PM
I'd almost consider driving out there just to get a glimpse of all the security there, and the sick rides that everyone will be sporting..LOL.

Seriously though, this offseason couldn't have worked out better for Ben and Ashley. With the lockout in place they've had all the time in the world to work on wedding plans. Now they'll be able to get married and Ben can get ready for training camp a couple weeks afterwards.

Rampage
07-17-2011, 04:20 PM
I'd almost consider driving out there just to get a glimpse of all the security there, and the sick rides that everyone will be sporting..LOL.

Seriously though, this offseason couldn't have worked out better for Ben and Ashley. With the lockout in place they've had all the time in the world to work on wedding plans. Now they'll be able to get married and Ben can get ready for training camp a couple weeks afterwards.

Crash it and see if you can get an autographed piece of wedding cake.

:lol:

steelersbabex25
07-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Congrats to them. It takes a strong woman to stay with him after all that's gone down in the past 5 years.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm just happy he is getting married....maybe he will stay away from the bar whores now...lol

BlitzburghRockCity
07-18-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm just happy he is getting married....maybe he will stay away from the bar whores now...lol

If he doesn't I'm sure his new wife will have something to say about it. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned..LOL

LarryNJ
07-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Congrats to them. It takes a strong woman to stay with him after all that's gone down in the past 5 years.

Strong yes when the man makes 100K a year, not really that strong when the man is worth 100 million! :lol:

But yes Congratulation and Best of Luck to the both of them.

LatrobePA
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM

"She's not a whore, she's a nice woman" lol hangover!!

steelersbabex25
07-18-2011, 04:29 PM
"She's not a whore, she's a nice woman" lol hangover!!

"I lost a tooth. I married a whore!"
"How dare you, she's a nice lady!"
"You're such a f*cking moron."
"Your language is offensive."
"F*ck you!"

Had to correct it. I've seen that movie too many times.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-18-2011, 05:12 PM
It is not uncommon to see Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and fiancee Ashley Harlan stay after Sunday service at Christ Church at Grove Farm in Ohio Township, mingling with parishioners where the couple will marry this weekend, a pastor at the church said.

"Ben and Ashley have been very consistent and genuine in their worship," the Rev. Bruce Cote, senior associate pastor and interim lead pastor, said Sunday. "I often see them talking with other people before and after services."

The couple joined the church about a year ago. After they did, a letter was sent to parishioners asking them to treat Roethlisberger like any other member. Cote said it is hard to know what Roethlisberger goes through, being such a popular sports figure, but added he and Harlan have embraced the church community.
"That is refreshing," Cote said. " 'Good job' I say to how they handle themselves."
Christ Church at Grove Farm offers two choices of worship. Roethlisberger and Harlan enjoy what is called the "Third Service," held in Wilson Hall. It provides high-energy music and a media-driven experience.

Their wedding most likely will be in the Sanctuary, which holds 1,300 people. Sanctuary services are a blend of traditional and contemporary styles in which music is presented by an instrumental ensemble, a robed choir and clergy, and a liturgical style of worship.
The Lakeside Cafe also is an important part of the Sunday experience for Roethlisberger and Harlan. It is centrally located and serves as a bridge between the Sanctuary and Third Service. It is where members mingle before and after services and have a cup of coffee, sandwich or pastry.

Cote is unsure how Roethlisberger and Harlan came to worship at the church but said other Steelers players are members.

Founded in 1995, the nondenominational church was formed from the Episcopal/Anglican tradition of worship and theology, which is reflected in the worship style of the church's Sanctuary services. Christ Church at Grove Farm is more than 2,000 members strong. Most attend one of two Sunday services every week.
The first Christ Church service was held in the ballroom of the Sewickley Country Inn on, coincidentally, July 23, the same day as Roethlisberger and Harlan's planned nuptials.

One of the greeters said yesterday that Roethlisberger and Harlan are a wonderful couple who attend service weekly when they are in town and that both come from Christian households from which their foundation of faith was formed.
"I know Ben's parents, and they are pillars of faith," Cote said. "And as you know, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."

From the Trib (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_747216.html)

LatrobePA
07-19-2011, 08:32 AM
"I lost a tooth. I married a whore!"
"How dare you, she's a nice lady!"
"You're such a f*cking moron."
"Your language is offensive."
"F*ck you!"

Had to correct it. I've seen that movie too many times.

Holychit you hangover addict! lol

I knew it was something like that...:yellowthumb:

steelersbabex25
07-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Holychit you hangover addict! lol

I knew it was something like that...:yellowthumb:

:lol: It's one of the funniest scenes in the movie! (it's also on HBO like 24-7)

DBR96A
07-20-2011, 11:36 AM
"I know Ben's parents, and they are pillars of faith," Cote said. "And as you know, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree."

Sure, the apple never falls far from the tree, but this apple rolled a good distance. Maybe somebody chucked it back toward the tree.

LatrobePA
07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Sure, the apple never falls far from the tree, but this apple rolled a good distance. Maybe somebody chucked it back toward the tree.

GA 5-0 tossed it back!

Moondog
07-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Good for Ben, his life seems to be getting in order. Now it's time to carry a seventh Lombardi over the threshold also.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Dozens of players were at Ben's wedding, including James Harrison. Security was tight but everything went off smoothly from what was reported. I wish I hadn't lost my invitation!!! :evilshake:

Danger DANJ
07-24-2011, 09:15 PM
So, this is why the players are holding up their vote on the new CBA. If they would have voted on Friday it would have messed with the coaches and Steelers Brass being able to go to the wedding. Plus, this will give them a few days to honeymoon.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-24-2011, 10:21 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201107/roethlisberger2_330.jpg http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201107/roethlisberger1_500.jpg

BlitzburghRockCity
07-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Ben Roethlisberger is no longer the single best quarterback in Pittsburgh.
On a hot but clear Saturday afternoon, Mr. Roethlisberger, 29, and New Castle native Ashley Harlan, 26, exchanged wedding vows before an Ohio Township church full of family and friends -- as well as Steelers officials, coaches and players.

After the ceremony at Christ Church at Grove Farm, the bride and groom were whisked by limousine to the David L. Lawrence Convention Center, Downtown, for a reception in The Spirit of America Ballroom.

More than 600 guests gathered for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres in the convention center's Concourse B, overlooking the Allegheny River, then went into the ballroom for dinner and dancing. And, of course, to toast the newlyweds.

The gala event, which began with the bridal party's arrival just before 6 p.m., was anything but black and gold. Think cream drapes with gray and pink accents.
• The day began at the church on Duff Road, with police patrols and members of the media circulating around the property. There were no reports of curiosity-seekers, and most neighbors expressed indifference, mixed with some mild annoyance at the traffic restrictions.

http://metrics.post-gazette.com/b/ss/pittpgcom/1/H.9-pdvu-2/s05714851360636?[AQB]&ndh=1&t=24/6/2011%2022%3A23%3A45%200%20240&ns=pittsburghpostgazette&pageName=bigben0724&g=http%3A//www.post-gazette.com/pg/11205/1162616-66.stm&r=http%3A//www.post-gazette.com/steelers/&cc=USD&ch=Sports&events=event1&h1=Sports%2C%20Steelers%2C%20Steelers%20stories%2C %20bigben0724&v2=bigben0724&c3=Article&v3=Sports&c4=Cofax&v4=Sports%2C%20Steelers%2C%20Steelers%20stories%2C %20bigben0724&c5=Sports%2C%20Steelers%2C%20Steelers%20stories%2C %20bigben0724&c8=Data%20Not%20Available&c9=Data%20Not%20Available&v9=www.post-gazette.com&c10=Data%20Not%20Available&c11=1162616&v11=Data%20Not%20Available%20-%20Data%20Not%20Available%20-%20Data%20Not%20Available&c12=The%20QB%20meets%20his%20match%3A%20Ben%20Roet hlisberger%2C%20Ashley%20Harlan%20now%20husband%20 and%20wife&c13=By%20Dan%20Majors%20and%20Ryan%20Brown%2C%20Pi ttsburgh%20Post-Gazette&c21=More%20than%207%20days&c22=www.post-gazette.com&pid=Main%3A%20Steelers%20home%20page&pidt=1&oid=http%3A//www.post-gazette.com/pg/11205/1162616-66.stm&ot=A&s=1366x768&c=24&j=1.3&v=N&k=Y&bw=1054&bh=547&p=IE%20Tab%20Plug-in%3BGoogle%20Talk%20Plugin%20Video%20Accelerator% 3BGoogle%20Talk%20Plugin%3BMicrosoft%AE%20Windows% 20Media%20Player%20Firefox%20Plugin%3BQuickTime%20 Plug-in%207.6.9%3BAdobe%20Acrobat%3BGoogle%20Update%3BS hockwave%20Flash%3BiTunes%20Application%20Detector %3BGoogle%20Earth%20Plugin%3BSilverlight%20Plug-In%3BMicrosoft%20Office%202010%3BWindows%20Live%99 %20Photo%20Gallery%3B&[AQE]
William and Margaret Zierenberg, who live at the corner of Duff and Linda Vista, were the exception, sitting in lawn chairs in front of their home near a black-and-gold sign reading "Best Wishes Ben & Ashley." Guests going to and from the church honked and waved as they passed.

People began arriving for the 3 p.m. ceremony around 2:30 p.m. Most came in expensive cars: black SUVs, Mercedes and limos. Some came in coach buses with dark-tinted windows. A few cars had markings from Miami University of Ohio, the college Mr. Roethlisberger attended.

Once at the entrance, guests -- ranging from Dan Rooney, the nation's ambassador to Ireland and the Steelers chairman emeritus, to Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl -- flashed pinkish-peach invitations and received parking passes.
Security for the wedding and the reception was tight.

The people working at the convention center were doing so under the direction that they are setting up a movie production that involved a wedding rehearsal.
Saturday, as the vendors arrived, many workers were not permitted to have cell phones in the ballroom.

Wedding planner Sheila Weiner of The Event Group, on Washington Boulevard in the East End, orchestrated the behind-the-scenes work, making sure that all the pieces came together as seamlessly as possible.

The bride and groom, along with their 21-person bridal party, arrived at the convention center's West Lobby shortly before 6 p.m., using a bus and a line of men to shield the couple from the news photographers and cameramen that were kept at the edge of the property along Fort Duquesne Boulevard. The couple and bridal party proceeded to the third-floor ballroom, a massive room usually divided into three smaller rooms.
The ballroom featured a silver, ivory and blush pink color scheme, according to a press release Ms. Weiner sent out late Saturday night.

Still other details emerged from those who were part of the occasion: Pink and white roses filled the ballroom. Guests were seated 10 to a table, and each table had a crystal centerpiece vase, more than 2 feet tall.

Ms. Weiner said the table centerpieces -- created from locally grown phalaenopsis orchids, roses, hydrangea and peonies in shades of ivory, white and blush pinks -- were designed from Hepatica Florist on South Braddock Avenue.

Guests' plates were inscribed with the names of the bride and groom and the date. Beneath each plate there were tea towels embroidered with the letter R. Another personal touch was sofa pillows embroidered with the letters A and B with a big R.
Guests dined on filet and halibut prepared by Common Plea Restaurant and Catering on Ross Street, Downtown, Ms. Weiner said.

The couple's six-tiered wedding cake and specialty desserts were from Vanilla Pastry Studio, a boutique bakery on Penn Circle South. Each tier was wrapped in pearl fondant and completed with a sugar monogram and a full band of fresh roses, Ms. Weiner said. Female guests were served "vanilla bean buttercream cake with fresh berries while the men enjoyed cookies and cream cake served with a chocolate-dipped strawberry," according to Ms. Weiner. The men's servings came from a three-tier groom's cake -- a "camouflage topsy turvy cake, complete with the inscription 'The Hunt is Over,' " Ms. Weiner said.

The Prop Shop on Washington Boulevard handled the lights and tables, and Three Rivers Entertainment on Swallow Hill Road and Wayne Foster Entertainment, based in California, provided the music. Goldstein Photography in Squirrel Hill recorded the event.

Tri State Valet on Greentree Road and Regency Transportation on Beaver Avenue provided limousines for many guests and the wedding party. In lieu of gifts, the bride and groom asked guests to make a donation to the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation (http://bigben7.com/the-ben-roethlisberger-foundation/), benefitting children's charities, Ms. Weiner said.

She said the Roethlisbergers were not immediately taking a honeymoon.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11205/1162616-66.stm#ixzz1T51MxhnD)

steelersbabex25
07-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Aw! They look cute together! Not really loving her dress though..

LarryNJ
07-25-2011, 05:44 AM
I wonder what that total bill came to and how much was donated to his charity? I'd guess around $200,000 for the wedding.

scpc
07-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Must be a girl thing, because I thought the dress did nothing for her.

Farrior Fan
07-25-2011, 09:25 AM
$500 says they do not honeymoon in Georgia! Congrats Ben. I hope Ashley can keep him in line, I think she will.

steelerschick1220
07-25-2011, 10:12 PM
^LMAO!!!!!

But yeah that dress is hideous. Whoever told her she looked nice in it lied. She's just ok looking, imo. But best wishes to them. Hope it works out. If she's not pregnant by the end of the year I will be shocked.

LarryNJ
07-26-2011, 09:04 AM
But yeah that dress is hideous. Whoever told her she looked nice in it lied. She's just ok looking, imo.

What do you expect she's from New Castle, not really the fashion capital of the world. :lol: I agree with you she's simply ok looking and her dress sucks.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-26-2011, 06:43 PM
http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-07-26/0727proethlisberger-g.jpg

On paper, Ben Roethlisberger's wedding reception at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center looked like a movie production with a Hollywood-sized budget and a cast of hundreds.

The Steelers quarterback paid $113,265 to rent the Spirit of Pittsburgh Ballroom, 10 meeting rooms, a convention hall and every parking spot in the center's 750-space garage, according to a copy of a contract the Tribune-Review obtained through a public information request. The cost doesn't include the catering, floral decorations, additional security or transportation.

Keeping the location of the A-list event a secret was so important that organizers listed the purpose of last Saturday's rental as a "movie production" and neither Roethlisberger, 29, nor his bride, Ashley Harlan, 26, are mentioned in the agreement.
"This was good business for Pittsburgh," Mark Leahy, the center's general manager, said Tuesday. "I really have to thank the wedding party and the couple because they probably could have gone anywhere they wanted, but they chose to have it here in Pittsburgh."

More than two dozen Teamsters and carpenters worked to set up and tear down the event last Monday to Sunday and at least a dozen security guards were on hand Friday and Saturday.

"It was quite an undertaking," Maggie Nicholson, event planner at Common Plea Catering in the Strip District, said of serving more than 600 guests dinner and drinks.
The Common Plea used more than 150 employees for wait staff, bartenders, kitchen staff and utility workers. The custom menu of beef tenderloin and halibut fell on the higher end of the Common Plea`s offerings, but Nicholson declined to say how much was spent.

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Big%20Ben%20paid%20$113,000%20to%20rent%20wedding% 20hall,%20contract%20shows%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_748526.html#ixzz1TFoRrx3B)

Root4Stlrs
07-26-2011, 07:53 PM
^LMAO!!!!!

But yeah that dress is hideous. Whoever told her she looked nice in it lied. She's just ok looking, imo. But best wishes to them. Hope it works out. If she's not pregnant by the end of the year I will be shocked.

The dress was designed by whoever the hot wedding dress designer is - Nicole somebody and supposedly cost $13,000! Her claim to fame is that she designs dresses that don't look like wedding gowns?

LarryNJ
07-27-2011, 09:42 AM
The Steelers quarterback paid $113,265 to rent the Spirit of Pittsburgh Ballroom, 10 meeting rooms, a convention hall and every parking spot in the center's 750-space garage, according to a copy of a contract the Tribune-Review obtained through a public information request. The cost doesn't include the catering, floral decorations, additional security or transportation.

My $200,000 guess is probably low. With that menu and drinks the catering was over $100,000 plus the other cost.

Whatever the final tab was it cost Ben less than what he spent last year in Ga.! :lol:

steelersgal86
07-27-2011, 10:17 AM
very happy for them :tt02:

chisteeler
07-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Well, all I hope for is the old saying to go into affect...Behind every good man is a good woman. I know a lot of people have commented that the marriage was a PR move to resurrect Ben's image, but I honestly believe that he realized that his clubbing days of being a successful single man have been played out.
Those of us that are married men on this site, I'm sure have all sowed our oats when single, until we've come to the realization that a good woman can help us see the light and know that and we can be just as fun, popular, spontanious, and successful.
However, we still like to live vicariously through our single male friends...lol
We can still look at the menu, we just can't order. Good luck to the new couple. Now bring home another Lombardi!

steelersgal86
07-27-2011, 11:08 AM
My $200,000 guess is probably low. With that menu and drinks the catering was over $100,000 plus the other cost.

Whatever the final tab was it cost Ben less than what he spent last year in Ga.! :lol:

:rofl: true