PDA

View Full Version : Should Ziggy Hood move to Nose Tackle

connecticutsteel
07-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Ziggy has the size he played nose in college we could give Mclendon and Rashon harris a shot at DE

BlitzburghRockCity
07-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Ziggy is more of a pass rushing defensive lineman, he's got some real good skills getting after the QB. I honestly don't see him playing NT on this team. Perhaps in a pinch if injuries ravage the defensive line but overall he's going to take Aaron Smith's spot and run with it. He can also play in Keisel's spot as well, he's got the ability to play either end. However since he has the bulk of his NFL experience at LDE, I would expect him to stay there and split time with Aaron Smith heading into 2011. With him as the primary backup and Cam Heyward waiting in the wings, I like the future of the line a lot!

SportBlogit
07-17-2011, 10:54 AM
I like Cam Heyward to eventually take Aaron Smith's spot with Ziggy serving as the odd man out on the line and playing a bit of both NT and DE as Hampton, Hoke, and Kiesel start feeling the age/injuries.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I like Cam Heyward to eventually take Aaron Smith's spot with Ziggy serving as the odd man out on the line and playing a bit of both NT and DE as Hampton, Hoke, and Kiesel start feeling the age/injuries.

Ziggy was a 1st round draft pick and showed a huge upside in the last 1 1/2 of playing. He's the future on the defensive line along with Cam Heyward. Hampton only has about 2 years left max before he retires, and while Chris Hoke is an excellent, serviceable backup he's not the long term solution to replace Hampton. They'll have to draft a top flight NT in the next year or so. Keisel still has several years left so he's good to go.

Rampage
07-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I thought Hood looked good at the end of last season and I think he is a great prospect to replace Keisel. If Heyward can come in and stop the run (which it sounds like he is great at doing), then he makes sense as Smith's replacement. I don't think anyone on the roster is capable of coming in as the NT of the future; the team is going to have to invest a higher pick for that in the next couple of years.

andyg1984
07-17-2011, 02:09 PM
im not surprised at all to see ziggy in the lineup at NT in passing situations ... nor would i be surprised if aaron smith is not on the roster come September

DanRooney
07-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Ok KTrain, we know its you :yellowthumb: :lol:

SteelDad
07-17-2011, 06:23 PM
When we first drafted Ziggy I honestly thought it was with the intention of moving him to nose. With the cap issues that we are clearly going to have, the FO needs to make some serious decisions. Will Smith take a pay cut? Will Casey be in shape? Just how fast do they expect Cam to play? Going to be very interesting as to what we do here.

uclkyle
07-17-2011, 07:01 PM
From what I've seen from Ziggy, I would keep him right where he is. We have another draft or two to address the NT position with a first or second round pick. I think Ziggy's ball skills in getting after the QB are too valuable.

jpele
07-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Ok KTrain, we know its you :yellowthumb: :lol:

LMAO: :yellowthumb:

Real Deal Steel
07-18-2011, 01:49 AM
From what I've seen from Ziggy, I would keep him right where he is. We have another draft or two to address the NT position with a first or second round pick. I think Ziggy's ball skills in getting after the QB are too valuable.

I agree. There is little doubt that NT will be addressed in the next draft. Probably with the 2nd round pick at the latest.

K Train
07-18-2011, 09:33 AM
casey hampton has probably 1 year of being an effective 2 down player left, i know that you all seem to forget that hood was a training camp hero 2 times now and just played absolutely terirble any time he was on the field until like week 14 of last season...like really really awful, being pushed aorund, being put on his ***, and over pursuing every play....however when he was lined up over center he was actually very good.

and yes he is a pass rushing interior dlineman, but even though casey isnt doesnt mean that kind of player cant be effecitve as our NT....it would need to be tweaked a bit but if you all remember correctly from last years training camp hood dominated one on one matchups, that always translated over to when he was one v one against a center.

cam heyward will be the best dlineman we have, he is prefect for smiths spot at LE and is the perfect player to be a stack and shed 5 tech, hoods fit and hopefully future with the team is in keisels spot as a pass rushing RE or at NT.

i think smith will be asked to take a paycut and i dont think it will be a problem...hopefully a low rep season will keep him healthy because the dline rotation of keisel, smith, hood, and cam is a good one to keep everyone fresh with little to no fall of if all goes according to plan...hoke is old, casey is older and im not sure how effective he can be...i really think they should have draft powe as insurance, but we have to roll with what we have and 2012 is a pretty poor NT class so maybe hood moving inside might be his best move

greg1964
07-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Ziggy at DE Hampton at NT and Kiessel at DE are the starters
A. Smith at DE (becasue of age and injury history) Hoke at NT and Hayward at DE are primary backups.

A. Smith, Ziggy, Hayward can play NT in a pinch or in 3rd down.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-18-2011, 11:49 AM
With the NFL being so pass happy these days having a pass rushing NT instead of monster against the run might be a smart move also.....

andyg1984
07-18-2011, 01:55 PM
yeah, im seeing more jay ratliff's and less wilfork's on a go-forward basis playing NT ..

K Train
07-18-2011, 02:45 PM
you have ratliff (an end playing nose), dorsey (a 3 tech playing 5 tech), ngata (a nose playing end), every 34 scheme seems to be shying away from typical 34 standards.

Capers, Parcels, Lebeau all run very traditional 34 schemes when they have their big NT in the middle....but lately you see teams making successful swtiches to the 34 using less than perfect players int he scheme....i think hood could be very much like rat only bigger and stronger, but i could see him getting 8 sacks a year from the nose, i really think thats where hes gonna be maximized

BlitzburghRockCity
07-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Lebeau still asks his defensive lineman to do more major job, above all else and that's stop the run. Any pass rush you get from your DL in a Lebeau type defense is just a bonus. As long as the NT can occupy atleast 2 blockers, and the ends can take care of their guys allowing the linebackers and secondaries to make the big plays, that's the key in a defense like the Steelers.

Now Lebeau and Keith Butler are more than capable of devising schemes that utilize DL in different positions. They do it all the time, but a traditional 34 defensive team employs guys like Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, and the like. Hood can take Aaron Smith's spot an run with it, getting possibly 8-10 sacks a year and creating a lot of havoc in the backfield in between.

K Train
07-18-2011, 04:24 PM
even with hood getting raped in the run game last year the defense was legendary against the run....he can put on 10-15 pounds and be a monster NT in a more this generation tpye mold of super athletic interior guys. casey was a rare talent and was spectacular and really underappreciated for years but a tweak in scheme would probably be a good thing, especially with james harrions being the best LB against the run, woodley being very good as well, and timmons finally adding bulk and getting the balls to destroy blockers from the inside....our LBs are MADE to stop the run, which will allow them to do things with the dline that were not used to seeing

also i dont see any scenerio where hood plays LE over heyward in the long term future

BlitzburghRockCity
07-18-2011, 06:55 PM
There will always be tweaking in the Steelers defense. Every year Lebeau comes up with different formations and personnel groupings to keep the offense guessing. I can see situations where Heyward and Hood are the only 2 DL on the field easily. Long term both Hood and Heyward are the future at DE. If Hood put on some weight he could be play NT, I have no doubt he has the talent to pull it off. I just think in their continuing efforts to build the interior line for the future that a Casey Hampton II will be drafted in the next 2 years. The trio of Smith, Hampton, and Keisel has been beyond rock solid for years. Keeping that tradition going with Hewyard, Hood, and a player to be named would be the logical scenario IMO.

With the league in a passing mode these last few years, I can see where having smaller, faster, DL guys will be an asset. However given the fact that the Steelers will always be a stop the run mentality first and foremost, the need for a guy like Hampton will be there for a long time to come.

The linebackers are perfectly capable of stopping the run, I agree. They do it all the time now as it is by getting in the backfield or stuffing the gaps and forcing the runner to the outside. That's the great thing about a 34 with the personnel that the Steelers have.

K Train
07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
im not really saying smaller athletic guys for it, but i can see them going with much bigger but freakishly athletic guys that can get to the QB because thats where i lump hood in...hes not the rock anchor that casey and smith are, and hopefully they dont try to use him like that because it would be a waste. in all seriousness the NTs this year suck and im not seeing any bj rajis, nagtas, wilforks, or even phil taylors on the close future draft radar, but i could EASILY see them making hood a NT and drafting a guy like crick next year and having the entire dline set for the next 7 years with crick (or someone else) hood and heyward. 3 first round Dline in 4 years wouldnt be out of the question with tomlin.

really hoods future will be told this year, he will obviously be at least the primary backup at DE and we'll see how they use him, especially if hoke moves on because hampton is 2 downs at best, more likely a 1st down NT at this point in his career, you saw the dropoff last year imo

connecticutsteel
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I think a pass rush from the middle is what we need to flush the pocket brady and manning are way less effective on the run i was watching the game highlights on nfl.com and all hoods sacks came when he was over center or shading inside he is best suited on the inside:imho: plus he's too round the play DE lol

K Train
07-19-2011, 12:59 PM
its not that hes too round, the dude is very powerful and a great athlete and uses his hands well...the problem is hes a 43 UT and him playing 34DE lets you catch him playing like a 43 DE and hes not built for that....he tries to get around guys like a DE in a 43 would, rather than stacking and shedding his blocker so its like we have a fat OLB trying to bend around the corner, but his speed isnt nearly good enough for that and he just pushed out of the play entirely...hes MUCH better at stacking his blocker when he was inside at any given time

connecticutsteel
07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
the too round comment was a joke lol