PDA

View Full Version : Steelers James Harrison releases statement in response to Men's Journal article

BlitzburghRockCity
07-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Straight from his Facebook: (https://www.facebook.com/notes/james-harrison/this-statement-will-be-my-only-response-to-the-mens-journal-article/244600065567940)

I’ll start by offering my apologies for some of the words that I said during the four days in May that Men’s Journal was invited to my house to discuss what the NFL has recently been portraying as their attempts at ‘player safety’ rules and regulations, and to cover my everyday workout routine.

I did make comments about my teammates when I was talking about the emotional Super Bowl loss, but the handful of words that were used and heavily publicized yesterday were pulled out of a long conversation and the context was lost. Obviously, I would never say that it was all Ben’s or Rashard’s fault that we lost the Super Bowl. That would be ridiculous. Both Ben and Rashard are great players and great teammates. Clearly the entire team bears responsibility for the loss, me included. It was a team effort and a team loss. My teammates know me well, and hopefully understand the things I said were not meant to accuse them of the loss. We all have discussed several things that went wrong in the Super Bowl since that day. What I do apologize for and take full responsibility for is for speaking in such a candid manner to someone outside the team.

I also need to make clear that the comment about Roger Goodell was not intended to be derogatory against gay people in any way. It was careless use of a slang word and I apologize to all who were offended by the remark. I am not a homophobic bigot, and I would never advocate intolerance of gay people.

As far as the photo that was shown on air yesterday, collecting guns is a hobby of mine, and I advocate the responsible use of firearms. I believe in the right to bear arms. I like to go to the shooting range. I like to hunt. I like to fish. I could just as easily have posed with my fishing poles but it obviously wouldn’t be an interesting picture for the magazine. I am not promoting gun violence by posing for that photo. There are also other photos in the magazine story that were not shown on air yesterday – including me with my sons, with my mom and as a kid.

Unfortunately, the above items and other comments have detracted from the original purpose of the story – a position I have been advocating for some time now. If player safety is the NFL’s main concern, as they say it is, they are not going about it in an effective manner. There’s nothing about extending the season or issuing exorbitant fines on defensive players that makes any shift toward the prevention of injury to players.

I believe that the league may have been feeling increasing pressure about injuries and concussions last year, and that they panicked and put rules in place that weren’t fully thought out. I’m not advocating more flags and fines, I’m just saying that the current rules are not completely fair, and I don’t believe in the way that the league is handling their position as overseer of the NFL and the well-being of its players.

As far as the character and reputation hits I may suffer as a result of my comments in the article, I’ll take those hits and more if it brings increased attention to the re-examination and installation of rules and regulations that would create a REAL impact on player safety.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
This was a very well thought out and executed statement. I believe him when he says he won't say anything more about it. It's probably safer that way and the best solution to diffuse this epic media frenzy and get on with life. Check out his facebook comments and notice all the support he gets from his fans.

jnes1216
07-14-2011, 11:19 PM
This was a very well thought out and executed statement. I believe him when he says he won't say anything more about it. It's probably safer that way and the best solution to diffuse this epic media frenzy and get on with life. Check out his facebook comments and notice all the support he gets from his fans.

The editor from Mens Journal said on Mike & Mike this morning that he received a ton of phone calls from other NFL players praising James Harrison for saying what they didn't have the balls to say. So apparently he has some support from other players as well.

BlacknGold Bleeder
07-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I could only hope that this will be the last we hear about this. The media will still be harping on this in the coming days and weeks.It's a dam shame when someone says whats on his mind and then so much media hype is made about it.

JensK
07-15-2011, 05:34 AM
Harrisons Agent is brilliant at issuing these statements... So well written and formulated.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-15-2011, 08:02 AM
The editor from Mens Journal said on Mike & Mike this morning that he received a ton of phone calls from other NFL players praising James Harrison for saying what they didn't have the balls to say. So apparently he has some support from other players as well.

Yes indeed, Roger Goodell is hated among the players like no commissioner in sports history that I can ever think of. He has taken this league down a path that it isn't used to seeing, even worse than the work stoppage in the 80's.

Harrison's comments while maybe out of line in the context he said, are still right on about Roger Goodell.

LarryNJ
07-15-2011, 10:20 AM
This was a very well thought out and executed statement.

James had nothing to do with it.

Harrisons Agent is brilliant at issuing these statements... So well written and formulated.
:plus1:

The original article was James this is his agent trying to do damage control. It means nothing really. James is a good guy that simply doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. There's no doubt in my mind we'll hear other stupid things come out of his mouth in the future. He's not going to change. Really it's not as bad as many of the stupid things other players do including several of his teammates.

LatrobePA
07-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Here's what James had originally drafted up for his twitter page: F**k all you bitches! His agent changed it just a tad...lol

Root4Stlrs
07-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Here's what James had originally drafted up for his twitter page: F**k all you bitches! His agent changed it just a tad...lol

Thanks for the comment. I had a good laugh at this one. :lol:

andyg1984
07-16-2011, 08:08 PM
im using this as a template for all my apologies on a go-forward basis .. brilliant

BlitzburghRockCity
07-17-2011, 04:05 PM

HAHA no doubt, I'm sure he was foaming at the mouth when he released that statement, muttering under breath those exact words you say Latrobe :lol: