PDA

View Full Version : Clark says Ravens-Steelers isn't a real rivalry

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 01:56 PM
July 13, 2011

Clark says Ravens-Steelers isn't a real rivalry (http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/07/clark_says_ravenssteelers_isnt_a_real_rivalry.html )

Fresh off his Twitter spat with Ravens running back Ray Rice, Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark fanned the flames of the rivalry once again.

Actually, Clark would argue that Ravens- Steelers isn’t really a rivalry.
“People try to make this game between the Ravens and the Steelers as so much of a rivalry, a fight,” Clark told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh (http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/07/13/ryan-clark-ray-rice-twitter-hines-ward-dui-arrest-steelers-ravens-rivalry-nfl-lockout/). “You can say it’s a rivalry if you like, but I really truly feel that for a game to be a rivalry, it doesn’t have to just be physical. I think for something to be a rivalry, both teams have to win equally. I think just the hate between the fans doesn’t make a situation a rivalry.”

The Steelers have beaten the Ravens in six of the past eight meetings. Clark got riled up last week when Rice chimed in on the recent DUI arrest of Pittsburgh wide receiver Hines Ward.

“Well I think first of all, it’s not really a situation to where it bothered me in the sense that what he said was really bad. I think more than anything it was disrespectful," Clark said. "As players we should all be a fraternity of brothers, and what I mean by that is if you have nothing good to say about something, why comment on it? I mean, and that was my only thing. And even in that, all I said was I’m glad you weighed in with what you think. Then he kind of took a life of his own. He was saying some other stuff and where to find me, some things that are really just whatever to me. So I just tried to kind of take the high road with it. But the biggest thing to me is people make mistakes, and to be judged by your peers, and to judge someone or one of your peers is not really your job. It’s not why we’re here, that’s for other people to do, so I just felt it was kind of tasteless for him to do so.”

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't blame Clark one bit for firing back at Rice, I don't think any of us do. Had he not said anything I wouldn't have been surprised either, he's the type of guy to be low key, and not get into shouting matches.

He's the passive type off the field, but the aggressive type on the field. However saying that the Steelers vs. Ravens is not a rivalry even if Pittsburgh has gotten the best of them the majority of the time lately is not true either. The heated battles in those games are of epic proportions. There's a reason they are on prime time more often than not.

LarryNJ
07-13-2011, 02:36 PM
“You can say it’s a rivalry if you like, but I really truly feel that for a game to be a rivalry, it doesn’t have to just be physical. I think for something to be a rivalry, both teams have to win equally. I think just the hate between the fans doesn’t make a situation a rivalry.”

Can't argue that point! :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 02:52 PM
The hate between the fans is obvious, that will never go away. We've been hating on the Browns forever and the Steelers have bested them continously year in and year out. For the fans, it's not always about just the wins and losses but how the games go. Rarely is there a blowout between the Steelers and Ravens. Games come down to the wire, there's trash talking, and playoff implications in every matchup.

LarryNJ
07-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm sure Ryan feels the same way. There's no way in hell he feels the same playing the Ravens as he does the Raiders or Chiefs, or even the Browns. It's a rivalry for sure, he was just being a smart ***.

Ibleedblk&gld
07-13-2011, 03:26 PM
i understand both sides...it said in that ESPN article about the exchange of words that Rice lost a cousin (i believe) to drunk driving, so I understand why he feels the way he does...but he took it to another level by making it personal telling clark he knows where to find him...

steelersbabex25
07-13-2011, 05:21 PM
I could never be mad at anything Ryan Clark does. He's such a sweet and (like BRC said) passive guy, so I think when he does chose to fire back at the trash talk, it never seems too unnecessary.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
You can bet this will come up in week 1 when the Steelers play the Ravens. There's been trash talk involving Woodley and Suggs too don't forget.

connecticutsteel
07-14-2011, 05:51 AM
A cousin i lost my mom and my baby brother to dui and i would never call out someone until after they are tried in court because i have been falsely accused of serious crimes i did not commit so ray rice can eat a d**k

K Train
07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
im so jacked up for week one

LarryNJ
07-14-2011, 10:32 AM
im so jacked up for week one
:nono:
Don't get too jacked up until we know there is a week one.

K Train
07-14-2011, 10:57 AM
i dont even really consider that an option, it would be moronic to not have a deal in place for both sides

LatrobePA
07-14-2011, 11:41 AM
i dont even really consider that an option, it would be moronic to not have a deal in place for both sides

With you on this one...No way in hell will there not be a season!

Week one will be a mess, lots of flags will be thrown!

steeldoc
07-16-2011, 06:37 PM
These knuckleheads need to start playing football and just shut up. Frankly I could care les what Clark says, but the media will just lap it up....they have nothing better to do.

RIVERS OF STEEL
07-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Ravens nee Browns been rivals for about a million years.

andyg1984
07-17-2011, 09:25 AM
idc about BAL until they have much better WRs .. im not really too worried about the pair they picked in the draft and espec not olden and no seperation mason