PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison calls Goodell a "Crook, and the Devil" in magazine article

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 08:35 AM
NEW YORK — Heavily fined Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in a magazine article.

The 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

"If that man was on fire and I had to **** to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

His other descriptions of the commissioner include an anti-gay slur, "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator."

If the Steelers had defeated the Green Bay Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also criticizes other NFL execs, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind") — and even teammates Rashard Mendenhall and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in the Super Bowl loss. Harrison questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.

Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

And Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so "we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from."

From the Trib (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/Steelers%27%20Harrison%20to%20magazine:%20Goodell% 20a%20%27devil%27%20-%20Pittsburgh%20Tribune-Review%20http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_746513.html?utm_source=twitterfeed#ixzz1Rz5QDgSk )

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 08:41 AM
I know Harrison pretty much hates Goodell as it is but would he really say that stuff to a national magazine knowing full well it would get out to the public in a heartbeat? Was it paraphrased? Did the writer put that stuff in when it was supposed to be off the record? I haven't heard anything from Harrison yet on this but this deserves more attention before start crucifying him for shooting his mouth off.

I've been doing some digging on the Men's Journal website, I'll post up what I find out.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 09:19 AM
I did find this so far, http://www.downeu.net/magazine/714194-mens-journal-august-2011.html

http://preview.filesonic.com/img/3d/2b/2a/2170501.jpg

75Steeler
07-13-2011, 09:26 AM
I really hope James is smarter than this. Could be some locker room issues and some league issues to deal with if he really said these things. I don't like Goodell myself and have expressed my opinion of him openly but I don't have to play in the league under his watch either. The lockout needs to end and we need to return to the business of football and stop the mouth running.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm reading the article now, I found a PDF of it which is referenced in the 3rd post. This interview was done in May. It's a very interesting article with some seriously bad *** pics of Harrison. I haven't finished it completely yet, however unless it was taken out of context in some way, it appears he did indeed make those comments.

The article mentions how he calls Rashard Mendenhall a "fumble machine" and how he nearly punched out Bruce Arians during a practice altercation. It also talks about his childhood, his problems getting into college, and his trials before becoming a super star in the NFL. He also talks about Ben's mistakes in the super bowl. You really owe it yourself to get this article and read it for yourself.

A Pac
07-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Dear James Harrison, this is why you get fined so much.

Sincerely,
Common Sense

Seriously, this guy wonders he gets fined more? He's a very good playe and I like his on the field artitude, however his mouth is a problem for the Steeler organization. I said last year that the main reason he got fined so much last year was because he said "I'm looking to hurt people.". This will only put a bigger target on his back.

--- Added 7/13/2011 at 08:07 AM ---

Also, singling out your offenses two best weapons probably isn't a good idea either. I know that Joe Greene and Terry Bradshaw hated each other, but they did what they had to do to win. We will see if the Steelers can do this from this point forward.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 10:40 AM
This interview was done in May, but released now by Men's Journal. Poor timing if you ask me. I'm anxious to hear his reaction to this article and also what the Rooney's and Tomlin have to say.

Some quotes from the article:

"My rep is James Harrison, mean son of a bitch who loves hitting the hell out of people" but up until last year, there was no word of me being dirty - till Roger Goodell, who's a crook and a puppet, said i was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I to **** to put him out, I wouldn't do it. I hate him and will never respect him."

In reference to the meetings in New York last year..

"What I tried to explain to Goodell, but he was too stupid to understand."

Rashard Mendenhall: "He's a fumble machine"

on Roethlisberger: "He's no Peyton Manning, He just gets paid like he does."

MattyVfromCT
07-13-2011, 11:07 AM
While I agree about goodell he took it way too far although some of the quotes were hilarious. BUT what I have a real issue with is him calling out ben and Mendy. He should have kept his mouth shut

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

SteelDad
07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
This is now quickly turning out to be another 'Summer of Steelers' Discontent.' I thought LAST summer was bad, first Hines DUI and now this. I have no problem with what JH said regarding Goodell or Mendy/Ben's performance in the SB, but there was no need for the reference to Manning in there. This is material that divides locker rooms and Tomlin now has another issue on his hands. I would also like to remind James that while our defense has been great, how many times did Ben bail their asses out too with big comebacks?

SteelCurtainYinzer
07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
If these are the true feeling he has regarding Ben and Mendenhall, I am glad. But I wouldn't have spoke my mind in Men Journal. He should be pissed they lost the Super Bowl. This team should have a chip on it's shoulder and want to play better than they did back in Feb. He is a 100% right Ben tries to do too much and that he should not try to play like Peyton. This is a non-issue but people are going to make it one because he went public with his feeling about team mates.
I hope that this team doesn't dismantle because of these comments. If anything they should become more united. One other thing, I wanted to punch Bruce Arians myself a few times....there are many on this board who would have been inline to do the same.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
As far as this article goes, as I mentioned previously it's a very well written article. It's worth a read regardless of your feelings on the subject. I'm not endorsing Men's Journal in general but in this case you learn a lot about James that maybe you didn't know, and according to what was written it came straight from James during an interview in Arizona.

As far as calling out his teammates, that's a touchy subject even for James to enter into. I don't care about calling out Goodell, it's rather amusing if you ask me and for my money it's not untrue. However when you rip your teammates in a national media sense you start to tread in dangerous waters.

SteelDad
07-13-2011, 11:54 AM
I find the fact he wanted to punch Arians absolutely hilarious. It just confirms what the rest of us know and that is that BA is an idiot.

DanRooney
07-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Saying that about Roethlisberger is pretty much uncalled for. Wasn't it Ben who bailed them out in the last Super Bowl?

Scorp
07-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Harrison rocks. That sh!!t was hilarious. He wouldn't even urinate on Goodell if he was on fire. Speak your mind baby....testify.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Just finished up a segment on Trib Live Radio, you can catch a replay of it this evening. Thanks to Ken Laird for having me on again. We talked about the Harrison comments and the article written by Men's Journal.

James will be on ESPN Sportscenter tonight at 6pm to respond to these comments. I'm sure he's being coached up by his agent as we speak.

DBR96A
07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
The moment you throw teammates under the bus is when you cease to be useful. Goodbye, James Harrison.

I seriously cannot remember a QB being as disrespected (on the field) as Ben Roethlisberger is.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-13-2011, 12:46 PM
James needs to keep his mouth shut....I hate Goodell also but him blasting Furher will do him no favors at all......I bet the fines will be plenty this year for James and he will miss games for sure.....He is a great player but dumber then a box of rocks....

As for calling out his teammates again just plain stupid.......Harrison must think the defense played flawless in that game as well........Nobody on the Steelers D stepped up that game and they had no answer for Aaron Rodgers and couldn't stop the Packers at all.....Numerous drops by the Packers WR's made that game closer then it really was......

Ben isn't Peyton Manning but I'm more then fine with that......Ben only led his team to a Super Bowl game winning drive against the Cards while Peyton threw a pick six in potential game tying drive against the Saints.......

James Harrison just STFU please and play football........

Rampage
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
I'm tired of Harrison's verbal diarrhea. I get it, you're a tough guy who is persecuted by the White Devil in the head offices. Give me a break, man. Nobody cares, all this is used for is fuel for Goodell's fire. These guys could use a lesson is shutting up; it isn't cute anymore.

Raleigh Steel
07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
man i hate the offseason. and i'm tired of hearing about off the field issues for the steelers. maybe dan needs to come back from ireland and set these guys straight. this kind of stuff should be coming from other teams!

MattyVfromCT
07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
The moment you throw teammates under the bus is when you cease to be useful. Goodbye, James Harrison.

I seriously cannot remember a QB being as disrespected (on the field) as Ben Roethlisberger is.

You don't cut a guy for throwing teammates under the bus. Especially the best outside linebacker in the game. He's not the first and certainly wont be the last guy to bash teammates in the media. I seem to recall Hines questioning Ben's toughness for sitting out of the baltimore game in 09 with a concussion. Don't seem to recall anyone calling for him to be released for that. However he does need to be punished and get the message. He's going to be fined by goodell regardless once a cba is reached but this also warrants a fine from the organization and a sit down with the rooneys

lloydfan4life
07-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Personally I like it.... :yellowthumb:
Slide over Lambert & Lloyd, and give Mr. Harrison some room on the Badass Bench.

connecticutsteel
07-13-2011, 01:30 PM
First of all arians is not his coach so he shouldn't be near him in the first place J.Harrison is looking for a way out without looking like a quitter the stuff about mendy and ben was way low i hope they trade him or he retires go be a raider then try to say that stuff about your Qb the Rooney's won't put up with this steeler nation if this is an accurate depiction of what he said say good buy to harrison in a steeler uniform Goodell has broad powers with the conduct policy remember you can be arrested for calling a black person the N-word Goodell can ban him from the league for this if he doesnt he'll be gone in wk 1 anyway for illeagal hit you would think that an undrafted player would be a bit more humble this is bad for the Steelers first ben and Santonio then Hines and Harrison all in the Tomlin era i wonder if this will effect his reputation

Black@Gold Forever32
07-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Ok we see how good of it is to be badass this year when James Harrison is fined more then ever and will be suspended this year for his hits........These comments will do him no favors in the eyes of the Furher now........I'm all for a player being a badass but at the same time alittle common sense should be used before a player opening his mouth and sounding like an idiot......

Zachintosh66
07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Is James wanting to position himself to leave the 'burgh? O is he just that stupid? It's not bad ***... it's ridiculous. Throwing your teammates under the bus, then slamming the commish. Now the commish can't wait now to slam James wallet again...

like i said, he either wants out, or hes a dumbass...

Farrior Fan
07-13-2011, 01:52 PM
While I think he is a little out of line with the Goodell comments we have to remember that Goodell is systematically ruining football and #92 doesn't like it.

As for the lockerroom stuff, Troy needs to tell him that he is NOT helping the team in anyway shape or form.

Check out the attachment!

DBR96A
07-13-2011, 01:59 PM
...Troy needs to tell him that he is NOT helping the team in anyway shape or form.

I think The Rooney family will send him the message.

andyg1984
07-13-2011, 02:18 PM
i dont even know where to start ..what an idiot .. i love him, but this is like guiness book of world records dumb ...

MattyVfromCT
07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Mendenhall tweeted "and lastly I don't mind what james harrison said because I know him"

The rooneys have said they haven't seen his comments yet but will address the situation once a labor deal is reached.

He'll get a warning and a fine. I highly doubt they release him nor should they

andyg1984
07-13-2011, 02:33 PM
Helpful summary from ESPN ..

NEW YORK -- Heavily fined Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison calls NFL commissioner Roger Goodell a "crook" and a "devil," among other insults, in an interview with Men's Journal.

If that man was on fire and I had to **** to put him out, I wouldn't do it. I hate him and will never respect him.

-- James Harrison on Roger Goodell

He even rips teammates Rashard Mendenhall ("fumble machine") and Ben Roethlisberger for their performances in this past season's Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers.

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does," he said, referring to Roethlisberger's two interceptions in the game. Harrison had one tackle, a sack, in the loss against the Packers.
Mendenhall didn't take offense to Harrison's comments when he posted a response Wednesday on Twitter.

"And lastly, I dont have a problem with what @jharrison9292 said because I know him. But I want you guys 2 check this out," he wrote, providing a link to ESPN.com's 2010 rushing statistics page which showed he fumbled just twice during the regular season in 324 rushing attempts.

Harrison, the 2008 AP Defensive Player of the Year hasn't been shy about ripping the league after he was docked $100,000 for illegal hits last season. In the August issue of Men's Journal, which has Harrison on the cover holding two pistols, his rants against Goodell reach another level of wrath.

Reaction to Harrison's Epic Rant
James Harrison has ripped Roger Goodell before, but not to this level. Maybe even more eye-opening is his criticism of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. ESPN.com's bloggers weigh in on the Steelers linebacker's epic rant. Blog

"If that man was on fire and I had to **** to put him out, I wouldn't do it," Harrison told the magazine. "I hate him and will never respect him."

His other descriptions of the commissioner include an anti-gay slur, "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator."

Harrison told ESPN that the interview took place "in April or May sometime."

If the Steelers had defeated the Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

Harrison also questions whether a black player is punished more for a hard hit on a white player than the opposite.

"I slammed Vince Young on his head and paid five grand, but just touched Drew Brees and that was 20," Harrison said. "You think black players don't see this s--- and lose all respect for Goodell?"

Steelers in the news
James Harrison isn't the first Steeler to make headlines since the team lost the Super Bowl to the Packers in February.

Rashard Mendenhall
• After the U.S. raid that killed Osama Bin Laden, he tweeted: "We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style" among other items viewed as sympathetic to Bin Laden. He took down the tweets and tried to clarify them, but eventually lost a sponsor.

Hines Ward
• Ward was arrested on July 9 in Georgia on a drunken driving charge. Ward said in a statement he was not impaired, but apologized for "this distraction." Later, police issued a report saying that Ward had glassy, bloodshot eyes and failed field sobriety tests during a traffic stop.

Harrison also criticizes other NFL executives, Patriots-turned-commentators Rodney Harrison and Tedy Bruschi ("clowns"), and Houston's Brian Cushing ("juiced out of his mind").

Bruschi is an analyst on ESPN's "NFL Live."

While Harrison criticized some of his teammates, he had high praise for Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

"He's the one guy in football I respect absolutely, 'cause he's spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin'. He's so polite and talks so softly that he could tell he could tell Goodell to kiss his a--, and Goodell would smile and say thank you," he told the magazine.

Beyond the insults, Harrison makes some serious points about what he believes are the league's misguided attempts to increase safety. He explains how non-guaranteed contracts make players more likely to hit high, because in the short term, a torn knee ligament is more costly than a concussion.

And Harrison suggests the real way to prevent head injuries is to shorten the season to 14 games, start offseason workouts later and trim the length of training camp so "we're not bangin' heads so much in August; that's where the brain trauma comes from."

In a statement released Wednesday, Steelers president Art Rooney II said he hasn't read the article or spoken to Harrison. "We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time, when permitted once the labor situation is resolved," he said.

--- Added 7/13/2011 at 12:33 PM ---

what a dumbass calling out ben like that ..

Big T
07-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Here come all the "goodbye James" and "cut him" comments lol. Dude has never been the sharpest tool in the shed. He's a badass dude who speaks his mind and doesn't give a f*ck. Certainly they were ill-advised comments but I don't see it as that big of a deal. Rashard said it himself that he doesn't care what he said because he knows James. I'm sure Ben will feel the same. Hell, those two have their own little pregame ritual together lol....http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/642/121/107541596_display_image.jpg?1295232042

This **** was also said 2 months ago. It will create a lot of stir, and rightfully so, but it's just a few comments. You don't cut arguably the best outside linebacker in the league over some ill-advised comments (during a lockout I might add).

MattyVfromCT
07-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Here come all the "goodbye James" and "cut him" comments lol. Dude has never been the sharpest tool in the shed. He's a badass dude who speaks his mind and doesn't give a f*ck. Certainly they were ill-advised comments but I don't see it as that big of a deal. Rashard said it himself that he doesn't care what he said because he knows James. I'm sure Ben will feel the same. Hell, those two have their own little pregame ritual together lol....http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/642/121/107541596_display_image.jpg?1295232042

This **** was also said 2 months ago. It will create a lot of stir, and rightfully so, but it's just a few comments. You don't cut arguably the best outside linebacker in the league over some ill-advised comments (during a lockout I might add).

Thank you. Was anybody calling for Hines to be cut when he called ben soft in 09 for not playing in Bmore with a concussion? This isn't the first or last time someone has publicly bashed teammates

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Bill Parise, Harrison's Pittsburgh-based agent, tried to downplay the severity of the comments this morning when contacted by the Post-Gazette.

"A lot of it is bravado," Parise said. "I think people have to be careful not to read that and think those statements are anything more than expressions of feelings, particularly in regard to the commissioner. The commissioner fined James $100,000 last year. What do you want him to say, he's my best friend? James is a tough individual and that's the type of language he uses."

Parise denied a request to talk to Harrison.

Steelers President Art Rooney II issued a brief statement in response to a request for comment: "I have not yet seen the article in Men's Journal nor have I spoken to James Harrison about his comments. We will discuss the situation at the appropriate time, when permitted once the labor situation is resolved."

Likewise, NFL spokesman Gerg Aiello said "we are not commenting on any aspect of the story."

In the article, Harrison uses an anti-gay slur to describe Goodell, and also refers to him as "stupid," "puppet" and "dictator."

If the Steelers had defeated the Packers in the Super Bowl, Harrison said, he would have whispered in Goodell's ear during the trophy ceremony: "Why don't you quit and do something else, like start your own league in flag football?"

"I don't think we should get caught up in his cultural language," Parise said. "I think people will read that for what it is and move on. I don't think anyone truly believes James thinks the commissioner is the devil."

Full Article from PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11194/1160080-100-0.stm#ixzz1S0flgydg)

Farrior Fan
07-13-2011, 03:17 PM
I am dissapointed that 92 didnt call out the refs for not throwing flags since he is being held at least half of the time. If they start calling that he is going to have 25 sacks this year.

steelersgal86
07-13-2011, 03:18 PM
END THE LOCK OUT NOW :thud:

Farrior Fan
07-13-2011, 03:27 PM
I mean he had to know that this article was going to stir the pot big time, and why not say "next time I am being held and it is blatant there had better be a flag, otherwise I'm going to Massoquai the ref...just test me" Guarantee the refs will be throwing laundry all over the field when he gets held.

--- Added 7/13/2011 at 01:27 PM ---

END THE LOCK OUT NOW :thud:

Amen! I'm terrified that the next headline will be "Polamalu arrested for running elaborate ponzi scheme and crackhouse" or "Mendenhall spots aliens, already understands their language"

LatrobePA
07-13-2011, 03:47 PM
hahahahahahaha James nailed it!

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I am dissapointed that 92 didnt call out the refs for not throwing flags since he is being held at least half of the time. If they start calling that he is going to have 25 sacks this year.

I'm surprised he didn't call out the officials, he didn't hold back on anything else in that story. Have to give kudos to the guy who did the interview with James. I'm sure it's not hard to get Harrison going but he hit the jackpot on this one.

LatrobePA
07-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Of the quarterback's two interceptions, Harrison says: "Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does."

WOW I just read that... Sounds to me James doesn't like some of his teammates!!

SteelDad
07-13-2011, 03:55 PM
First of all, JH isn't going anywhere. Cutting him as some suggest would be as dumb as some of his comments from a financial as well as playing standpoint. I hate that this is even coming up. Haven't we Steeler fans suffered enough over the last 18 months? Ben, Santonio, and now Hines and 92. Had JH kept his comments strictly to the SB regarding Ben, then I wouldn't have had too big a problem, but the slam comparing him to Manning was the clincher. That tells me this goes deeper than most of us know. As for Mendy, I was one of few who thought Matthews' hit on him was far from a 'fumble-causing' hit. Many said it was a huge hit. Was it a nice form tackle? Sure, but you cannot fumble the ball when you are driving to take the lead and have all the momentum!! Nevertheless, the one guy who has to settle this IMO is Farrior. Potsie should be the guy who addresses JH and the team and get this thing settled.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 04:05 PM
We'll be covering this and Hines on Thursday night on the Blitzburgh Radio Steelers Podcast! Should be a great show!

Big T
07-13-2011, 04:37 PM
The James Harrison backtracking begins
Posted by Mike Florio on July 13, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT

Earlier today, we wondered aloud when Steelers linebacker James Harrison would begin to offer up excuses for his inflammatory comments about Commissioner Roger Goodell and teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall.

The options, as best we could determine with the help of PFT Planet, were that: (1) Harrison was misquoted; (2) his words were taken out of context; (3) his comments were not made “on the record”; (4) his Twitter account had been hacked; and/or (5) his brain had been hacked.

Harrison is, for now, going with No. 1 and/or No. 2.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports, citing former Steeler Merril Hoge, that Harrison told Roethlisberger that the writer of the Men’s Journal article “twisted” many of Harrison’s comments, and that Harrison did not intend to criticize Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger told Hoge that the quarterback will take Harrison at his word.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/the-james-harrison-backtracking-begins/

MattyVfromCT
07-13-2011, 04:56 PM
I wish deebo would sack douche florio. God I hate that piece of garbage....

LatrobePA
07-13-2011, 05:04 PM
First of all, JH isn't going anywhere. Cutting him as some suggest would be as dumb as some of his comments from a financial as well as playing standpoint. I hate that this is even coming up. Haven't we Steeler fans suffered enough over the last 18 months? Ben, Santonio, and now Hines and 92. Had JH kept his comments strictly to the SB regarding Ben, then I wouldn't have had too big a problem, but the slam comparing him to Manning was the clincher. That tells me this goes deeper than most of us know. As for Mendy, I was one of few who thought Matthews' hit on him was far from a 'fumble-causing' hit. Many said it was a huge hit. Was it a nice form tackle? Sure, but you cannot fumble the ball when you are driving to take the lead and have all the momentum!! Nevertheless, the one guy who has to settle this IMO is Farrior. Potsie should be the guy who addresses JH and the team and get this thing settled.

As bad as it sounds coming from James, he's spot on. Ben did his best to lose the game early on, Mendy sealed the deal with the fumble. But the D isn't off the hook either so for that he's an idiot...

LarryNJ
07-13-2011, 05:07 PM
While Harrison criticized some of his teammates, he had high praise for Steelers safety Troy Polamalu.

"He's the one guy in football I respect absolutely, 'cause he's spiritual and lives it like he talks it. You know, he gets more flags than anyone on our team but never gets fined for nothin'. He's so polite and talks so softly that he could tell he could tell Goodell to kiss his a--, and Goodell would smile and say thank you," he told the magazine.

:lol::lol::lol: That's great because it's so true.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 05:21 PM
According to former Pittsburgh Steeler and ESPN analyst Merril Hoge (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=6481), Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5536) spoke with teammate James Harrison (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4433) this morning and is "fine" with the linebacker's recent comments. Here is the latest (http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/91206131975852033) via ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Harrison bashed Roethlisberger's (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29190/harrison-rips-goodell-patriots-and-ben) Super Bowl performance in an explosive interview with Men's Journal (http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison), saying he's not Peyton Manning (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1428) but gets paid like it. Roethlisberger threw two costly interceptions in February's loss to the Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers).

According to Hoge, Harrison told Roethlisberger in their conversation that his words were misconstrued (http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/91206074014773248) and he didn't mean to be critical of the quarterback.

LatrobePA
07-13-2011, 05:26 PM
According to former Pittsburgh Steeler and ESPN analyst Merril Hoge (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=6481), Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5536) spoke with teammate James Harrison (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4433) this morning and is "fine" with the linebacker's recent comments. Here is the latest (http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/91206131975852033) via ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Harrison bashed Roethlisberger's (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/29190/harrison-rips-goodell-patriots-and-ben) Super Bowl performance in an explosive interview with Men's Journal (http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison), saying he's not Peyton Manning (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=1428) but gets paid like it. Roethlisberger threw two costly interceptions in February's loss to the Green Bay Packers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers).

According to Hoge, Harrison told Roethlisberger in their conversation that his words were misconstrued (http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/91206074014773248) and he didn't mean to be critical of the quarterback.

Sure he's OK, James would break the white boy in half! lol

LarryNJ
07-13-2011, 05:41 PM
his words were misconstrued

What he really meant is he's no Tom Brady! :lol:

Sure he's OK, James would break the white boy in half!

You're right...it's ok if he slams Mendy on his head, but he can't touch the white boy. :)

"I slammed Vince Young on his head and paid five grand, but just touched Drew Brees and that was 20," Harrison said. "You think black players don't see this s--- and lose all respect for Goodell?"

This is all that matters! :)

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8355/jamesharrisonsb.jpg

steelersbabex25
07-13-2011, 06:18 PM
James Harrison was kinda funny when he opened up as the new loud mouth of the team, but the more he talks, the less I like him (his personality). Yes, we all know you have your opinions and we all know for the most part what they are. There's no need to get so hostile in a magazine article, especially when you include your own teammates. Even though Roethlisberger is saying that they're "ok," I'm sure this won't be very good for the team unity.

MattyVfromCT
07-13-2011, 07:16 PM
James Harrison was kinda funny when he opened up as the new loud mouth of the team, but the more he talks, the less I like him (his personality). Yes, we all know you have your opinions and we all know for the most part what they are. There's no need to get so hostile in a magazine article, especially when you include your own teammates. Even though Roethlisberger is saying that they're "ok," I'm sure this won't be very good for the team unity.

I don't think its that big a deal for the team. Personally I think Hines calling ben soft for not playing with a concussion was worse. I just think this is who james is. He plays into the bad boy of the nfl image. He speaks his mind and doesn't care what anyone thinks. Now a lot of what he said he shouldn't have but I don't see this dividing the team. No team is ever going to have a roster where everyone gets along completely. Its just like a normal job. Good teams like the steelers set aside the bs when they step on the field. The only thing im worried about is the extra attention goodell and the refs will be paying attention to james

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Mendenhall tweeted today that he isn't upset with Harrison because he knows him. So clearly the players are taking the high road on this regardless of if they are really upset or not.

MattyVfromCT
07-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah. Plus ben is the kind of guy who feeds off of criticism. He has a huge chip on his shoulder and he'll use this to motivate him even more. Plus I wouldn't be shocked one bit if james or someone else on the d said something to ben during the game Orr any other game where he's turning the ball over. Not everyone on a sports team is best friends with everyone else on the roster. In any sport. Tons of different cliques plus offensive guys don't always get along that great with defnsive teammates. At least according to several books, interviews I've read from former players. Yes both sides are on the same team and pulling for one another to achieve a goal BUT there is a divide in many cases. Both units feeling they are more important to the team than the other, etc. I really don't think what james said about ben and Mendy is really different than what goes on most teams, the only difference being james voiced his opinions in a public medium. Still shouldn't have aired his dirty laundry in public but offensive guys calling out defensive guys happens on every team rest assured

Big T
07-13-2011, 09:43 PM
:yellowthumb:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-top100-2011/09000d5d82059e2d/Top-100-James-Harrison?module=HP11_hot_topics

steelfury455
07-13-2011, 09:48 PM
I have no issue with Harrisons comments, if he was retired from football. He in essence made his job that much harder in a climate that's making his style of play a thing of the past thanks to Goodell. I wouldn't **** on Goodell if he was on fire either but Harrison hasn't realized there's an etiquette with making such comments being a football celebrity. But he just said what most of us, not just Steeler fans, have been saying about the state of the game because of Hitler G. There is respect for that in this PC world.

Raleigh Steel
07-13-2011, 10:02 PM
anyone willing to bet that the first tackle harrison makes he gets a 15 yard penalty regardless of the way it happens?

i get james being mad at goodell. we all are..but he's stated his displeasure on numerous occasions. nothing he can say is gonna make things any better...but probably worse. he's painted his target bigger and brighter, and probably did the same for the entire defense.

plus if he has anything to say to any player on the team, say it to their face and not to some "journalist".

BlitzburghRockCity
07-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Suitable for Avatars or for you female members and visitors to drool over..LOL

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8559/harrisonguns.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/harrisonguns.jpg/)

Big T
07-14-2011, 12:43 AM
such a badass pic though lol

Speeed
07-14-2011, 02:21 AM
This will be interesting . . .

I do feel Harrison's remarks are inappropriate.

If Goodell is a true professional, he will express his displeasure with Harrison in private. If he does what we as fans think he will do this in his holy court and will decree that Harrison be targeted throughout the season.

Harrison's comments are based on frustration and a seemingly random application of ever changing rules. I understand his frustration, but disagree with his tone and delivery. I think the union needs to get involved. The players need to collectively take action.

Things were fine in 2009. Harrison had nary a complaint levied, neither did anyone else who had been tackle, blocked, or sacked by him. I don't understand the sudden change in rules, except for one individual's agenda which seems to be narcissistic.

This trend clearly illustrates the disconnect between the fans, the players, and the commissioner. Especially between the players and Goodell, who seems to have his way with the rules while holding the players responsible for everything on the field while the referees, who have missed a good portion of the fined hits and tackles, seem to be immune to missing these infraction and being totally oblivous. The refs have the benefit of making a decision after the fact, not on the fly while going all out and having to make split second decisions.

I love Harrison, but he needs to keep his trap shut and make tackles. He needs to be like Jefferson in Fast Times at Ridgemont High and focus on destroying people.

Boy do I hate the off-season . . .

Real Deal Steel
07-14-2011, 03:12 AM
As far as this article goes, as I mentioned previously it's a very well written article. It's worth a read regardless of your feelings on the subject. I'm not endorsing Men's Journal in general but in this case you learn a lot about James that maybe you didn't know, and according to what was written it came straight from James during an interview in Arizona.

As far as calling out his teammates, that's a touchy subject even for James to enter into. I don't care about calling out Goodell, it's rather amusing if you ask me and for my money it's not untrue. However when you rip your teammates in a national media sense you start to tread in dangerous waters.

Harrison has made peace with Mendy and Ben. So there is no problem there.

But I love what he said about Goodall because it's all true!!! Goodall is trying to take the violence out of a violent sport. Football is about pushing your will on the other team through physicality but Goodall wants to make football into underwater basket weaving!!
There is a massive attempt to sisify sports and I am totally against it!!!

Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Giants all play a tough, smash mouth brand of football the way the game is suppose to be played. But Goodall is on a crusade to take defense out the games and make them like Arena football.

Someone has to say something and not cower in fear of Goodall.

And Harrison can't be fined because there is no collective bargaining agreement in place so players are free to say what the want right now and nothing can happen to them.

coldrolled
07-14-2011, 06:05 AM
Harrison has made peace with Mendy and Ben. So there is no problem there.

But I love what he said about Goodall because it's all true!!! Goodall is trying to take the violence out of a violent sport. Football is about pushing your will on the other team through physicality but Goodall wants to make football into underwater basket weaving!!
There is a massive attempt to sisify sports and I am totally against it!!!

Steelers, Ravens, Jets, Giants all play a tough, smash mouth brand of football the way the game is suppose to be played. But Goodall is on a crusade to take defense out the games and make them like Arena football.

Someone has to say something and not cower in fear of Goodall.

And Harrison can't be fined because there is no collective bargaining agreement in place so players are free to say what the want right now and nothing can happen to them.

100% Correct... :cope:

DIESELMAN
07-14-2011, 06:56 AM
Who cares what he said and how he said it. Like some of you have stated he's saying what a lot of people are thinking, especially about Goodell. In this pc world (which is BS), nobody wants to hurt anyone's feelings or say the wrong thing at the wrong time. There was a time in this world, many years ago, where people actually had the balls and spoke the truth, whether it hurt someone's feelings or not. What happened to the people who got their feelings hurt? They got over it and moved on. Now days, in the words of Christopher Titus, "everyone gets a trophy".

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

steelersgal86
07-14-2011, 07:34 AM
Suitable for Avatars or for you female members and visitors to drool over..LOL

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8559/harrisonguns.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/36/harrisonguns.jpg/)

That is awesome!!!! it is the middle of July...everyone is ready for some football...everyone has too much time on their hands to think about everything else...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-14-2011, 09:38 AM
We haven't heard anything from Harrison since this story broke yesterday. I checked his Twitter account and he talked with Josh Cribbs back and forth a few times but other than that he's been very quiet. At some point I would think he'll make a statement on this, I'm anxious to hear what he says.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Reports from league representatives are such that the majority of them don't think Harrison will be singled out by the league for his recent comments.

Technically it's not against any conduct policy to voice your opinion about your teammates or the league. Players call out teammates all the time (not usually on the Steelers though) but regardless it may be in poor taste and bad judgment but it's not against any rules.

The Steelers will I'm sure have a comment and may take some action but even that is questionable as to how far they will take it. Everyone is worried about getting a new CBA done, that is top priority. After that it will be chaos trying to get your players signed, sign new players, get everyone to camp and ready for the season. Like I've said before, players like Harrison that have made some waves in the offseason can be thankful we're in a lockout.

If you look back at all the players who have had off season troubles this year, you hear about it for a few days and then it goes away. All the focus is the CBA and rightfully so.

LatrobePA
07-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Good read:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Whitlock-Pittsburgh-Steelers-James-Harrison-remarks-on-Roger-Goodell-over-the-top-but-understandable-071311

JensK
07-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Good read:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Whitlock-Pittsburgh-Steelers-James-Harrison-remarks-on-Roger-Goodell-over-the-top-but-understandable-071311

Good read indeed! I do not agree with the way the Harrison communicated his thoughts, although I do agree with the message, which is what this linked article also debates. Sure, he should not have said all those harsh things in that manner - It was uncalled for and most likely hurt more than helped -, yet he does have a point with his allegations against the opportunist that is Goodell and the mentioned NFL Elite.

Clevelandsux
07-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Dear James Harrison, this is why you get fined so much.

Sincerely,
Common Sense

Seriously, this guy wonders he gets fined more? He's a very good playe and I like his on the field artitude, however his mouth is a problem for the Steeler organization. I said last year that the main reason he got fined so much last year was because he said "I'm looking to hurt people.". This will only put a bigger target on his back.

--- Added 7/13/2011 at 08:07 AM ---

Also, singling out your offenses two best weapons probably isn't a good idea either. I know that Joe Greene and Terry Bradshaw hated each other, but they did what they had to do to win. We will see if the Steelers can do this from this point forward.

I never heard that Bradshaw and Greene hated each other. Greene had Bradshaws back. Stuck up for him early on in his career when Noll was flip flopping qbs.

--- Added 7/14/2011 at 05:57 PM ---

First of all we lost the SB as a team. Harrison did little in that game himself. We had 3 turnovers, missed fg, dumb penalties (keyaron Fox). Our defense created no turnovers. Didn't stop GB when they needed to. missed fg. We were outcoached too. The team didn't play championship football in a championship game.There was plenty of blame to go around.

James who bailed out the Steelers in sb 43 when your defense failed to hold onto a 13 point lead? Yes big Ben.And who should have been ejected???? And even Peyton Manning has thrown ints. SB 44 which put the icing on the cake for the Saints.

Ok I don't like Goodell either. Not too many people do. But you're not helping your case. I'm not going to say I'm going to **** on my companies CEO. I also don't call out my coworkers. And I've wanted to punch Bruce Arians too.

All Harrison has done is make himself look like a classless jackass thug. James shut up and play football! We don't need anymore negative PR.:evilshake:

--- Added 7/14/2011 at 06:06 PM ---

[QUOTE=Big T;426720]Here come all the "goodbye James" and "cut him" comments lol. Dude has never been the sharpest tool in the shed. He's a badass dude who speaks his mind and doesn't give a f*ck. Certainly they were ill-advised comments but I don't see it as that big of a deal. Rashard said it himself that he doesn't care what he said because he knows James. I'm sure Ben will feel the same. Hell, those two have their own little pregame ritual together lol....http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/642/121/107541596_display_image.jpg?1295232042

I don't buy that Rashard and Ben took this lightly, even if they said they did.

jnes1216
07-14-2011, 11:47 PM
I must truthfully admit one of my first responses was punish 92 for his comments against his team members. you can blast goodell all you want and I'm fine with that!!, but geeez leave the teammates out of it. So what you're a WR now James? I've defended Harrison in the past but to call out Mendy and Big Ben (no matter how much those players down play it) is not for the media. Keep that B.S. in the locker room. It would be interesting to know if he spoke up on the sidelines or if the big badass kept his mouth shut when it was face to face and only spoke his feelings to the media two months later. Am I the only one getting sick of this off season bullsheet? Why is it a lot of fans on here are quick with the "lets cut this guy" comments? Probably because they could be sick and tired of "defending" their team to every off season negative event that seems to occur like clockwork. Are we the new Cowboys? Good on the field but in trouble off the field? Kinda makes me sick, because I think we're better than that.

Root4Stlrs
07-15-2011, 10:37 AM
You don't cut a guy for throwing teammates under the bus. Especially the best outside linebacker in the game. He's not the first and certainly wont be the last guy to bash teammates in the media. I seem to recall Hines questioning Ben's toughness for sitting out of the baltimore game in 09 with a concussion. Don't seem to recall anyone calling for him to be released for that. However he does need to be punished and get the message. He's going to be fined by goodell regardless once a cba is reached but this also warrants a fine from the organization and a sit down with the rooneys

I don't like throwing your co-workers/teammates under the bus in any organization, much less a pro football team. The only exception would be whistleblowing to expose dishonest or unsafe behavior that is being ignored or supported. The responses from Ben and Rashard have been pretty dignified, IMO. That being said, I love James Harrison. I wish he would monitor his words more carefully but that's not him. The Colts didn't cut Peyton when he threw his O line under the bus after the playoff game in 2006. And the talking heads on NFL Network, Jamie Dukes and Warren Sapp, said that Ray Lewis had essentially done the same thing on their show recently when he said something about the fumbles and interceptions r/t to their playoff losses (I didn't hear exact comments but obvious he was referring to Flacco). HOWEVER, they said Ray did it in a "classy" way. In other words, their opinion is that you can make derogatory statements about your teammates but if you make them in an oblique fashion and not exactly name names, it is classy?? GMAB It is just two-faced and weasely. If you have to do it at all, I would rather you put it out there and say what you think.