PDA

View Full Version : James Farrior will be ready to go

BlitzburghRockCity
07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Nothing really seems to bother James Farrior. Not that he will be four months shy of his 37th birthday if and when the Steelers open their 2011 season on schedule. Not that he will be entering his 15th year as one of the ageless wonders in the NFL. Or that, at 225 pounds, he is the inside linebacker and captain of the league's top defense.

He isn't even worried that the Steelers will have problems regrouping from a lockout that for five months has kept players from working at their team facilities and speaking with their coaches.

In fact, that seems to be the least of his concerns.

"I don't think it's going to hurt our team," Farrior said. "It's not like we have a lot of new people. We don't have new coaches or new quarterbacks or things like that. With the veterans we have, we'll be able to manage. Everybody is going through the same thing. It's not like one team will be at a disadvantage."

Farrior, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, has taken advantage of the lockout to spend more time than usual working out at Tom Shaw's Performance Camp at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex at Walt Disney World. With no offseason training activities to attend in Pittsburgh, he has joined several of his teammates -- cornerbacks Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden and William Gay -- pushing his 36-year-old body through tough conditioning sessions in the searing Florida sun.

Farrior is the oldest of the approximate 25 NFL players who take part in Shaw's fitness camp. But that didn't stop him from running the same agility drills as players much younger than him, one of whom is former teammate and Super Bowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes.

And they weren't easy drills, either. Up and down a hillside, forward and backward, cutting around cones, stepping through ropes.

"That's what motivates him," said Taylor, who lets Farrior and his other teammates stay in the house he recently purchased in the Orlando area. "That's what keeps him going."
Farrior is like a lot of veteran players -- he actually enjoys that he doesn't have to be committed to taking part in OTAs on the South Side. They quietly don't complain about that aspect of the lockout.

"I understand what OTAs are for and why guys need it, but not me," Farrior was saying the other day, in between workouts at the complex. "Younger guys, they need it, they get to see the system, they get to see the plays. It's pretty much their first intro before training camp. I've been around long enough.

"But I've been able to work out down here a little more. That's been a big difference."
This time last year, the Steelers were concerned about Farrior, worried that he might be slowing down. It was one of the reasons they brought back inside linebacker Larry Foote in free agency -- to serve as insurance in case Farrior started to show his age in training camp.

But that was never an issue, not in camp, not during the regular season. Farrior finished as the team's second-leading tackler (137) -- his eighth consecutive season with at least 100 tackles -- and tied his career high with six sacks.
He was the ringleader of a rush defense that was the best in Steelers history and third best in NFL history since the league went to a 16-game season. Game in, game out, he was the team's best and most consistent linebacker.

"I feel good," Farrior said. "I'm 225, which is the same weight I've reported the last couple years. We should be good again. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't."
Farrior's not worried. Never is.

From the PG (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11193/1159852-66-0.stm#ixzz1RtsUd3RR)

K Train
07-12-2011, 10:28 AM
best and most consistant linebacker? hardly.

deep down i hope he doesnt even make the final roster, i know he will but still

DanRooney
07-12-2011, 10:37 AM
I was hoping ready to go meant ready to retire.

connecticutsteel
07-12-2011, 10:39 AM
farrior is still a better option than sly s only cause of his leadership and knowledge

LatrobePA
07-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Of course he's gonna say this, he's on the block with the youth movement!

Rampage
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I hope he is in great condition and well prepared, because we know he'll be a starter next year. Hopefully, the team starts putting Sly into the mix, as well. I have to say that last season Farrior did surprise me; the season before that, he looked awful (Bengals game anyone?) but he looked a lot stronger and faster last year. Hopefully he can keep that up while Sylvester gets bred into a starter.

Scorp
07-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Don't worry, he's going to have a breakout season..........maybe.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-12-2011, 08:25 PM
James will be ready, he's the ultimate professional. I fully expect him to come into camp in the best shape of his life. I do think Sly will get more reps this year, it only makes sense since he's the MLB of the future when Potsie hangs up the cleats.

andyg1984
07-13-2011, 01:26 PM
farrior has steadily declined, he will be exposed this year again .. i cant find the link, but i rmbr back in '10 draft Butler hinted his preference would have been Sean Lee as opposed to Jason Worilds - in the same interview he mentioned the farrior would have to "earn his keep" to stay on the roster ..

do you think sly and timmons are good fit to play together?

Root4Stlrs
07-15-2011, 09:45 AM
James will be ready, he's the ultimate professional. I fully expect him to come into camp in the best shape of his life. I do think Sly will get more reps this year, it only makes sense since he's the MLB of the future when Potsie hangs up the cleats.

I am totally with you on this one. I think his leadership is invaluable.

K Train
07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
lets stop acting like hes this unreal leader that the team cant live without....someone ALWAYS steps up in the leadership role and keeping a leader around just to lead while hes holding your team back due to lack of production is just insane....he calls the plays, someone else can do that.

and i love how leadership in an NFL or any football locker room is more closely compared to war than a game....lets be serious now

BlitzburghRockCity
07-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Harrison had one of his more productive years in a long time last year, the dude has still got it. Sure he's a leader but the Steelers won't keep him around just for that. He'll be here in 2011 because he can still play, but beyond that in 2012 it's quite possible he'll retire or be released. Sylvester will be waiting in the wings.

Root4Stlrs
07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
lets stop acting like hes this unreal leader that the team cant live without....someone ALWAYS steps up in the leadership role and keeping a leader around just to lead while hes holding your team back due to lack of production is just insane....he calls the plays, someone else can do that.

and i love how leadership in an NFL or any football locker room is more closely compared to war than a game....lets be serious now

I think he's a great leader but that doesn't mean I think the team can't live without him. I don't believe he's been holding the team back due to lack of production either. That's the great thing about this board - we're all fans with different opinions. As far as comparing war to sports, you will never find me using those metaphors.

K Train
07-15-2011, 02:20 PM
I think he's a great leader but that doesn't mean I think the team can't live without him. I don't believe he's been holding the team back due to lack of production either. That's the great thing about this board - we're all fans with different opinions. As far as comparing war to sports, you will never find me using those metaphors.

it wasnt directly straight at you, just in general...people act like ray lewis is this unbelievable irraplaceable leader on the field cause hes emotional and treats what is essentially grown men playing a kids game like an actual battle field of war and hes this untouchable general.

(still annoyed lewis was ranked the 4th best player in the league for 2011 despite being probably the 4th best player on his own defense at this point)

same thing with farrior though, hes been pretty poor on the field...ive always been a fan, and i respect his late career surge of heroics, but its time to move on...same thing with ward imo, leadership in sports is one of the most overrated things ever, leaders come and go and they always have.

right now, in my opinion james isnt playing at a high level, maybe a backup level but hes a 2 down player at best leading the defense....thats stupid, let timmons go to the MACK spot...farrior is MUCH slower than he used to be, he was a legit 4.4 guy and a HAMMER in the middle and could play any position as a LB, now hes very slow, doesnt have that sideline to sideline range, and has become a liability...he might be in good "shape" but his weight is down too, which isnt good....so timmons is the bigger, fast, more versatile and effective LB, he should be leading the defense

/end rant

lol