PDA

View Full Version : Who is the priority Ike Taylor, Lamarr Woodley,or Lawrence Timmons?

connecticutsteel
07-12-2011, 07:31 AM
The fact is we don't know what the salary cap will be but some tough choices have to be made.If the Steelers sign taylor to a 2 or 3 year deal at market value then we may not have enough to sign Woodley and or Timmons next season. In 2012 Woodley and Timmons are going to want big money.So to me the answer is a simple one try to get ike for 1 to 2 yrs and give the Linebackers their contracts

DIESELMAN
07-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Ike won't sign for 1 or 2 years, he's in his 30's, Ike wants to get paid. I said this in another thread, I'd rather lose Ike, then to lose Woodley or Timmons because we kept Ike.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk

BlitzburghRockCity
07-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Ike Taylor will not sign anything less than a 4 yr. deal. I would think he wants atleast a 5 yr deal though.

The Steelers will pay him and he will be back. The salary cap for 2011 and 2012 hasn't been decided yet so we don't know how much money there will be available. They Rooney's are some of the best in the business when it comes to dealing with the salary cap. They can squeeze every last dollar, literally, out of a given year cap value to get the players they want.

There will be atleast 1 franchise tag, possibly 2 available once the new CBA is reached, so there will be options available if they need them.

connecticutsteel
07-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Ike Taylor will not sign anything less than a 4 yr. deal. I would think he wants atleast a 5 yr deal though.

The Steelers will pay him and he will be back. The salary cap for 2011 and 2012 hasn't been decided yet so we don't know how much money there will be available. They Rooney's are some of the best in the business when it comes to dealing with the salary cap. They can squeeze every last dollar, literally, out of a given year cap value to get the players they want.

There will be atleast 1 franchise tag, possibly 2 available once the new CBA is reached, so there will be options available if they need them.

if the above happens BOTH woodley and timmons will be gone

greg1964
07-12-2011, 08:20 AM
I would love for the Steelers to resign all of them but let look at this:

Woodley: Outside LB in a 3-4 defense, double digets sack in every year he started, and sacks in ALL of the playoff games since becoming a Steelers. and BTW only 24 years old. MUST RESIGN only have Worilds and Carter behind him.

Timmons: Inside LB in a 3-4 defense, has improved every year since be drafted, and is the first of Mike Tomlin picks since becoming head coach. Speed, hard hitter and could take over for Farrior in the middle of this defense after next year. And according to Bulter (the LB coach) one of the best ILB in the NFL. and BTW only 23 years old. MUST RESIGN only have Sylvester (young) and Foote (older) behine him.

Taylor: The best of the Steelers CB on the roster and would love to resign, but of the three, I would hate to loose the LB's more: If the market is as hot on Taylor as has been indicated, (10 million + per year) there is know way the Steelers will resign him. 32 years old (although he keeps himself in top shape) but the Steelers have Bulter, Lewis, Brown, Allen as options, as young player, and McFadden as an older option to replace Taylor. Again I think Taylor is better than all of them at this point, but, you can't resign everyone to top $$

BUT the Steelers do have some BIG contracts coming off the books in the next two years:

T.Polamula, C. Hampton, J. Farrior, H. Ward, J. Harrison, C. Kemoeatu, A. Smith, M. Starks, B. Keisel, R. Clark, L. Foote:

And the way the Steelers have always operated is you get ONE BIG contract, then they expect you to give the home town discount or get replaced. ALL of the above have received the BIG contract, except Woodley and Timmons

cmerrifield
07-12-2011, 08:57 AM
Woodley signed his Franchise tag, which will make it binding if I understand correctly even if the new CBA doesn't include them. So, Ike is the priority as far as getting it done first. I wouldnt be surprised if they dont leave Timmons like they did Woodley for next year and get Wallace resigned this offseason along with Troy and Smith. Although Troy and Smith should take smaller deals and allow the Steelers to make up some cap room.

connecticutsteel
07-12-2011, 09:15 AM
hopefully smith retires son they don't have to cut him don't get me wrong love me some aaron smith but he is the oft injured a smith the last 2 years maybe we keep him as a back up

K Train
07-12-2011, 09:30 AM
ike is the most immediate concern, woodley is franchised at least.

I would expect timmons to be an easy resigning, woodley might attract more of a market though.

I just hope teams dont realize that timmons can literally play any LB spot in either scheme....he would be a monster WILL, like a legit monster. And inside/outside LB in a 34...so versatile.

woodley is that DE/OLB tweener, limited schematically but shows flashes of being unblockable when he wants too.

i imagine we'll be able to lock them all up, dont really see reason not too, it all starts with ike though.

connecticutsteel
07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Idoubt every other teams scouts are that bigga morons ofcourse the league know timmons is great and so does he he will want to get paid you'll see

Rampage
07-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Given this team's depth, I think Taylor is the biggest concern followed by Timmons and then Woodley. There's not much in the secondary, so the Steelers need at least one consistent corner. With Farrior getting old and only some inexperienced youth at MLB, Timmons is also very important. I love Woodley and hope the team resigns him, but of the three, I think he is the most easily replaced (not necessarily by the same level of talent) with players currently on the roster.

Zachintosh66
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
ike taylor

Real Deal Steel
07-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Well, If Ike wants big money like that, then he's done in Pittsburgh.

But we don't know what the landscape of the salary cap is going to be when this lockout ends. The money may not be as plentiful as he thinks.

strong D
07-13-2011, 01:40 PM
love ike but remember we drafted a DB in the 3rd and 4th round this year not sayin they can replace wat ike brings to the team but makes u wonder if they anticipated on not bein able to pay ike the money he is going to want

BlitzburghRockCity
07-14-2011, 02:06 PM
Remember this, James Harrison still has 3 years of his deal left. It's a safe assumption that Silverback will be on the team in 2011, however the Steelers could consider releasing him when his cap number jumps up significantly in the last 2 years of his deal. They could use that money to help pay guys like Timmons.

That is assuming that they feel Jason Worilds is ready. However the priority this year is still Ike Taylor then in 2012 you can see several scenarios start coming into play.

jnes1216
07-14-2011, 11:06 PM
Lets just say, irregardless of the situation, if I had one to pick to re-sign, it would be Timmons. I really like the other two, but I think an ILB on this defense is harder(takes longer) to replace and I think LT is special.

coldrolled
07-15-2011, 11:53 AM
All three and a FA CB

new salary cap..

Also, salary-cap details became clear -- the 2011 projected cap will be roughly $123 million, according to sources, but as a practical matter will "feel" more like $130 million to teams when cap credits and new cap exceptions are factored. And teams will have to spend, in cash, 90 percent to the cap minimum, and league-wide spending will be pegged at 99 percent to the cap.

Root4Stlrs
07-15-2011, 02:06 PM
After seeing some of those highlights from the SB again on last night's ESPY's I get a little sick thinking of the Steelers' secondary WITHOUT Ike Taylor. It was bad enough with him. And we have to play New England again this year at home and Indy on the road.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Those highlights make me sick too, every time I see them come on TV I turn the channel or mute it and walk away for a few minutes. The chances we had in that game when the Packers lost Woodson and several other starters..and we could never capitalize :evilshake:

Anyways, given the fact that Farrior is probably in his last year at this point and Timmons being the future it's a safe bet they will use a Franchise tag on Timmons if they have too to keep him.

SteelCurtainYinzer
07-25-2011, 01:19 PM
While I believe that Ike should be the priority we are so close to the cap that its going to be hard for us to sign him.
Tampa Bay 47.2 to reach the cap
Seattle 27.0
Arizona 25.2
Chicago 25.0
Buffalo 23.9
Cincinnati 23.9
St. Louis 23.6
Kansas City 22.3
Cleveland 21.3
Jacksonville 19.4
Carolina 18.6

There is a great deal of money out there to be spent. And with the free agent frenzy set to begin later this week week, some of it will be thrown in that direction. But don't be surprised if several of these 11 team hold some money back to keep their teams strong for years to come.
Also don't be surprized that a team like Kansas City, who might feel they have the opportunity to win this year go out and spend on FA's. They actually 35.6 million to spend on FA to help improve their club.....The thing is they are strong young football team and anybody they pick up will greatly improve this club.

here is a list of potential FA according to yahoo.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-20110725_top_100_free_agents_3

I see plenty of players on this list that will help improve many squads. Secondly, I also know many will resign with original teams. However, if you were a FA this year and wanted to take the money and run, it is there for the taking....I wouldn't be surprised to see a few guys who their original team figured they would resign and take a hometown discount be in a different uniform starting on Saturday.

uclkyle
07-26-2011, 10:41 PM
No doubt it's Timmons. We have other OLB's to replace Woodley.....Timmons has the potential to make 5 or more pro bowls.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Now that Taylor is signed, they can work on securing Colon if they want, as well restructuring the deals of guys like possibly Harrison, Roethlisberger, Aaron Smith, and hopefully getting Woodley signed to a long term deal and freeing up that tag and cap space.

connecticutsteel
07-27-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm not certain they will bring Smith back maybe a 2yr deal

Root4Stlrs
07-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Now that Taylor is signed, they can work on securing Colon if they want, as well restructuring the deals of guys like possibly Harrison, Roethlisberger, Aaron Smith, and hopefully getting Woodley signed to a long term deal and freeing up that tag and cap space.

Yes, I hope they re-sign Colon and keep Flo one more year. Don't see how they can keep paying Smith what's he making when he's hurt so much. Don't know how much cap room they could free up with a re-structure of Woodley's contract.

Blazedby92
07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Rather sign Ike
Steeler linebackers are a dime a dozen, think about it how long has it been since the Steelers even had a remotely off linebacking corp.