07-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Who are you and what did you do with my Bucs? :dunno:

Keep playing well boys! :yellowthumb:

75Steeler
07-06-2011, 09:44 AM
:yellowthumb: Bucco's are a little over 500! :woot:

Rampage
07-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Definitely surprising and refreshing to see them play like this. Stay above .500 heading into the All Star break, and I like the team's chances of finishing with a winning record this year. I'm also getting a kick out of how the park seems to be filling up with fans, now. Who would have thought that actually fielding a competitive team would bring the fans?

Black@Gold Forever32
07-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Ok I started a Pirates thread alittle over a month ago and got no love....lol Yea the Buccos are having a really damn good year and have a ton of young talent.......The Pirates havn't been 4 games over .500 this late in the season since 1992.......Plus they're only 1.5 game out of first place....If the starting pitching continues to pitch well and the Pirates offense can pick it up then the Pirates might stay in the mix for the NL Central......I told my Dad already if the Pirates make the play-offs then I will buy our tix for the first post-season game in PNC Park history........To me the Pirates making the play-offs would be bigger news then the Steelers winning another Super Bowl.....We expect that from the Steelers but the Pirates actually making the play-offs would be mind blowing...lol

LarryNJ
07-06-2011, 04:32 PM
I had no idea.

What is the average attendance now they are playing decent?

Lunchbucket
07-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Tonight was a sellout. They won 7-4 with an 8 inning homer from the rookie catcher Michael McKenry. Electric atmosphere at the ballpark.they could be tied for 1st tommorrow depending on other game outcomes tonight !!

Lunchbucket
07-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Pirates are in second place as of this morning,1 game behind the Brewers.

scpc
07-09-2011, 10:20 AM
I think I am the only Pirate fan in Perrysburg, Ohio. So anytime I talk about them I have people laugh at me. Every year I say "this is the year of the Pirates", and every year they let me down. I love them and never gave up on them. It is a minor miracle they are doing so well, or is it all the positive vibes we die hard pirate fan send out? I am happy they are doing well and I hope they continue.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Win tonight and they will be 5 games over .500..........Clint Hurdle has to be considered for manager of the year.......

airbrake 1
07-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Going to the game today...i really embarrassed to say this is my first game in nearly two years...i've gotten caught up in the malaise of 18 years of losing...i used to attend around 10 games a year...so it's time to man up and start getting back to bucs games...I can't sit here and complain if i'm not part of the solution in getting this team back to being perennial contenders....we have undoubtedly one of the most beautiful parks in baseball and just attending a game there is a great experience win or lose...LET"S GO BUCS

KSSteelerfan
07-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Buccos are doing well!! Go Pirates!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-10-2011, 06:00 PM
4 games over .500 and only 1 game out of first place.....What a season so far Buccos and keep it up....I can't wait for the 2nd half of the baseball season.....Its crazy typing that at the all-star break.......I hope they keep it up and if the Pirates stay in it they can take some thunder away from the Steelers in September........

KSSteelerfan
07-10-2011, 06:11 PM
4 games over .500 and only 1 game out of first place.....What a season so far Buccos and keep it up....I can't wait for the 2nd half of the baseball season.....Its crazy typing that at the all-star break.......I hope they keep it up and if the Pirates stay in it they can take some thunder away from the Steelers in September........

It would be nice to see the Pirates doing well again. :yellowthumb:

airbrake 1
07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
what a great win by the bucs today...seeing PNC park filled to capacity with emotional fans is trully great...god i hope they can keep playing this type of quality ball....the vibe in the city is just great...i haven't seen this since 1992 ...just fantastic...i would love to see them get into the post season but even if they don't i am proud of this team

Lunchbucket
07-10-2011, 08:02 PM
BEAT EM BUCS !!!!!!! Would love to see 3 major sport contenders in the Burgh. Steelers,Pens,and Bucs .Sweet dream!!!

LarryNJ
07-11-2011, 02:51 PM
..seeing PNC park filled to capacity with emotional fans is trully great...god i hope they can keep playing this type of quality ball....the vibe in the city is just great...i haven't seen this since 1992 ...just fantastic...

I haven't been a baseball fan for awhile now (I couldn't name 1 current Pirate :( but I agree it's great when you have a full stadium and a good time (at a reasonable cost too). Hopefully they can continue the run and have a Cinderella season and win it all. :)

Until baseball changes it revenue and salary policies they will never be a serious contender year in and year out.

Callax
07-11-2011, 05:30 PM
It is great to see 3 Buccos in the All Star game
McClutchen (I added the "L")
Hanrahan
Correia

I hope they win the division!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-12-2011, 02:18 AM
I haven't been a baseball fan for awhile now (I couldn't name 1 current Pirate :( but I agree it's great when you have a full stadium and a good time (at a reasonable cost too). Hopefully they can continue the run and have a Cinderella season and win it all. :)

Until baseball changes it revenue and salary policies they will never be a serious contender year in and year out.

The Pirates will never be a serious contender every year I agree....But teams like the Twins who have small pay rolls have shown that even small market teams can make the play-offs on a consistent basis....The key is drafting and for years the Pirates missed on their drafts.....Part of the season they took lesser talent since they were easier to sign.....But the past three drafts the Pirates havn't been doing that and have been spending a ton in their drafts and in the international market as well........The day is coming when the Pirates will be one of the best in baseball........

KSSteelerfan
07-12-2011, 07:42 PM
The Pirates will never be a serious contender every year I agree....But teams like the Twins who have small pay rolls have shown that even small market teams can make the play-offs on a consistent basis....The key is drafting and for years the Pirates missed on their drafts.....Part of the season they took lesser talent since they were easier to sign.....But the past three drafts the Pirates havn't been doing that and have been spending a ton in their drafts and in the international market as well........The day is coming when the Pirates will be one of the best in baseball........

:yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-16-2011, 12:06 AM
We have to keep this thread alive.......The Pirates are five games over .500 and in first place.......With all the negative press the Steelers have received the past two years its refreshing to have such a positive story like the Pirates....I'm disappointed more Pittsburgh sports fans are not talking about them....**** the Steelers right now and Lets Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

steelersbabex25
07-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Is it possible that I could be witnessing a Pirates winning season for the first time in my life? I don't even know what to do with myself..

StlersGuy
07-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Holly Bucs we are in 1st... :yesnod:

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk Pro

Lunchbucket
07-16-2011, 11:40 AM
GO BUCS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StlersGuy
07-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Is it possible that I could be witnessing a Pirates winning season for the first time in my life? I don't even know what to do with myself..

This is the year...

Lunchbucket
07-16-2011, 03:53 PM
The Pirates are the New Darlings of the Steel City. Raise the Jolly Roger ,the Bucs are in first place.

airbrake 1
07-16-2011, 04:24 PM
first place...who would have thought this was possible...god this feels great...there's no reason this team cannot win this division....i truly believe the have that swagger when they step on the field that they can win every game they play and that's half the battle...god it's been a long time to see the pirates with that swagger...GO BUCS

SteelCityMan786
07-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Here's to a day in September where I can put on a Steelers game and Pirates game at the same time.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-16-2011, 06:00 PM

You were not even alive in 1992....lol I was only 13......I really think the Buccos will hang in there all year and make it interesting......This is the year finally they get over the hump......

steelersbabex25
07-16-2011, 06:35 PM
You were not even alive in 1992....lol I was only 13......I really think the Buccos will hang in there all year and make it interesting......This is the year finally they get over the hump......

Nope. Born in 93. Maybe God didn't believe I could handle the Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins being winning teams at the same time. He had to wait until I was 18 and a legal adult. :lol:

--- Added 7/16/2011 at 04:35 PM ---

Here's to a day in September where I can put on a Steelers game and Pirates game at the same time.

Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins game at the same time?! Mind=blown. :eyecrazy:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-16-2011, 07:15 PM
So babe you're to blame for the Pirates 18 years of losing....just joking.....lol

Rampage
07-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Don't know which cable providers you guys have, but I know that Cox is doing a free week of the baseball package right now. Got to see the bucs lose live yesterday.

airbrake 1
07-17-2011, 07:16 PM
another great win by the bucs today...keep it up...LET"S GO BUCS

StlersGuy
07-19-2011, 01:15 AM
back in 1st we go BUCOS beat Red Legs tonight

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2011, 03:26 AM
I love this team........Its going to be fun the rest of the baseball season.......

Lunchbucket
07-19-2011, 07:31 AM
I love this team........Its going to be fun the rest of the baseball season....... The next 2 weeks should prove to be really intresting,they got the Reds and Cards at home,Braves and Phillies away.There is now a national BUZZ about this young talented team. GO BUCCOS:greenbounce2::cope:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Buccos have played well against the NL Central this year except against the Brewers......The Brewers have owned the Pirates the last few season......Going to Atlanta and Philly in back to back series will be tough......I just hope they split against those two......

KSSteelerfan
07-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Go Buccos!!! Beat the Reds!!!!:yesnod:

StlersGuy
07-19-2011, 06:44 PM
For the 1st time in years I can walk around in a Bucos hat and not get made fun of for doing so.. Go Bucs we believe

airbrake 1
07-19-2011, 10:53 PM
gutsy win by the bucs again tonight 1 run on 4 hits and a good game pitched by mc donald...shutout...winning the first 2 in the series makes tomorrows game gravy....what a great way to start this tough stretch of games coming up...LETS GO BUCS

StlersGuy
07-19-2011, 11:01 PM
raise the jolly roger..Buccos WIN

Black@Gold Forever32
07-19-2011, 11:22 PM
This team is so fun to watch....Such a gutty hard nosed team.......I love my Buccos and always will.....Keep it up Bucs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--- Added 7/19/2011 at 09:22 PM ---

If Pedro can come back healthy and starting hitting again would be a big boost for the lineup.....Pirates could trade for Carlos Beltran or Hunter Pence.......I wouldn't give up the farm for either one but the Pirates should consider adding a bat to improve the lineup....

StlersGuy
07-19-2011, 11:55 PM
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x339/stlersguy/My%20Pics/283585_120692398025266_100002535193350_151266_3600 947_n.jpg

KSSteelerfan
07-20-2011, 06:36 PM
http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x339/stlersguy/My%20Pics/283585_120692398025266_100002535193350_151266_3600 947_n.jpg

Hoisting the "JOLLY ROGER" for a Buccos victory I see...awesome. :yellowthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Bucs win in 10 and are in a three way tie for first.....Believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rampage
07-25-2011, 01:52 PM
I was happy to see them pull out at least one win in that series. This is going to be a tough period for them and it will be interesting to see whether or not they can hold their own against some good teams.

Lunchbucket
07-25-2011, 02:26 PM
I was happy to see them pull out at least one win in that series. This is going to be a tough period for them and it will be interesting to see whether or not they can hold their own against some good teams.

Totally agree, Tough games ahead with the Braves and Phillies, would be nice to see them still hanging in there come September :crossfingers:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Pirates actually on ESPN tonight.....

Rampage
07-25-2011, 02:57 PM
Totally agree, Tough games ahead with the Braves and Phillies, would be nice to see them still hanging in there come September :crossfingers:

When was the last time someone said that about the Pirates in late July? :lol:
So nice seeing them talk about the Pirates on ESPN saying stuff like, "this is how they have won, and this is what they should keep doing." I don't think they have the batters to make it to the playoffs, but this could actually be a winning season, which would be incredible after the drought.

Pirates actually on ESPN tonight.....

Tonight and tomorrow I think.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Well if Pedro can start hitting like he did last year at the end it would be huge boost for the Bucco's lineup.......They don't have the power for sure like the other contenders but this team is scrappy and grinds out runs.......The key is the starting pitching really....The first half the starting staff pitched way above expectations so the starters really hold the key to the rest of the season.....

StlersGuy
07-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Time to make the Braves walk the plank

lloydfan4life
07-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Holy crap! A Pirates thread with 50+ posts! :cope: I just hope all this enthusiasm doesn't hex 'em. :yikes:

Game just started.... blacked out on ESPN but got it on FoxSports Pittsburgh...errrr... I mean ROOT sports.

Let's go Bucs! Beat the Braves! :danceshout:

Rampage
07-26-2011, 12:19 PM
That was a good game last night. Huge win to start the series!

StlersGuy
07-26-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjqNi8KLluk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

--- Added 7/26/2011 at 02:03 PM ---

Holy crap! A Pirates thread with 50+ posts! :cope: I just hope all this enthusiasm doesn't hex 'em. :yikes:

Game just started.... blacked out on ESPN but got it on FoxSports Pittsburgh...errrr... I mean ROOT sports.

Let's go Bucs! Beat the Braves! :danceshout:

It was blacked out here in Columbus also.. I had to watch it from my droid using the espn3 app

mos07
07-26-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjqNi8KLluk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

--- Added 7/26/2011 at 02:03 PM ---

It was blacked out here in Columbus also.. I had to watch it from my droid using the espn3 app

Subscribe to directv..I have watched almost every game with the sports pack from Columbus, Ohio.......
:cope::cope::cope:

StlersGuy
07-26-2011, 09:29 PM
Subscribe to directv..I have watched almost every game with the sports pack from Columbus, Ohio.......
:cope::cope::cope:

Can't have a dish where we live they are not allowed

StlersGuy
07-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Buccos started off good tonight now things are turning bad

Lunchbucket
07-26-2011, 10:10 PM
it's 3-3 top of the sixth. GO BUCS!!!

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Going to the 14th inning still 3-3

Dee Mca
07-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Looks like it's going into the 17th inning now.

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Looks like it's going into the 17th inning now.

This is the game that will NEVER end

Dee Mca
07-27-2011, 02:55 AM
OMFG
Pirates just got robbed in the 19th inning.
Hometown umps.
Guy clear as day was out at the plate.

Farrior Fan
07-27-2011, 07:47 AM
That was really, really, really bad. For a homeplate ump to miss that call is ridiculous....even ESPN is talking about how bad it was.

steelersbabex25
07-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Wow. Fell asleep before the end of the game. Woke up this morning, turned on Mike and Mike...what a dissapointment. Looks like the umps just wanted to end the game.

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm still pissed about that ending.. Here is what the ahole ump had to say.. I saw the tag, but he looked like he olÚd him, and I called him safe for that

--- Added 7/27/2011 at 07:16 AM ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h94jqnuljmQ

smoke another joint UMP how can you say he is safe

BlitzburghRockCity
07-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Absolute disgrace! I was up late working on the podcast and couldn't believe the game was still going. No way it should have ended that way.

Dee Mca
07-27-2011, 09:45 AM
I am the last person to say anything about instant replay but if their is ever a time for it this is the time. Handing the game to the Braves like that only because their bench was empty and the only players they had left was 4 starting pitchers is a shame. If this game was played in Pittsburgh and it was other way around would we have gotten the call? Our bench was empty all we had left was Hanrahan and then our starters. I hope this blown call is not the beginning of the end for the Bucco's. It was another play at the play in Atlanta that started the whole 18 year losing streak.

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Fire Jerry Meals facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fire-Jerry-Meals-the-idiot-UMP-who-blew-the-Call/210679328979856?sk=wall)

This guy is a JOKE

Lunchbucket
07-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I am the last person to say anything about instant replay but if their is ever a time for it this is the time. Handing the game to the Braves like that only because their bench was empty and the only players they had left was 4 starting pitchers is a shame. If this game was played in Pittsburgh and it was other way around would we have gotten the call? Our bench was empty all we had left was Hanrahan and then our starters. I hope this blown call is not the beginning of the end for the Bucco's. It was another play at the play in Atlanta that started the whole 18 year losing streak.

Sickening call no doubt ......Can't think of a worse way to lose (by the Ump) I got faith in Hurdle ,think he can handle this young team through this dissapointment and see it for what it is. ............I do NOT believe he will let this team fold ..........they have worked for everything they got to this point and will continue to work hard.Tonight is another game facing the Braves

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I look for last night's game to lift the Buccos and make them want it more and Last night's game would have been one of the greatest games in history until Meals did what he did now it will be know as the game that an UMP decided to end instead of letting the players end it by winning it.

Scorp
07-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Sorry boys that the braves had to break your hearts so late at night. Kinda looked like he was out. It is very possible there was no clear, clean tag. This could do some damage to the buccs. Great game.

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 03:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9LjarKHvTk

Scorp
07-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Doesn't work.

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 03:54 PM
Doesn't work.

youtube took it down....:lol:

Rampage
07-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Disheartening call, but the Pirates had plenty of opportunities to win it earlier in the game. Had this been in the bottom of the 9th, I'd be livid, but it wasn't. Maybe they can pick up someone who doesn't just wave at pitches. :dunno:

MattyVfromCT
07-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Im not a pirates fan but that call pissed me off. That is BY FAR the worst call in baseball history. Sure there's been others in much bigger spots but that call was so obviously wrong it is the worst. He was out by at least 3 feet and when the umpire signaled safe, his foot was still at least a foot and a half away from home plate. And what makes it worse is he isn't even man enough to admit he was wrong. At least jim joyce showed some class last year...

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

StlersGuy
07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Team president Frank Coonelly: umpire Jerry Meals "got this one wrong."
Pittsburgh Pirates president Frank Coonelly says the team has filed a formal complaint with the Major League Baseball commissioner concerning the ending of Tuesday night's 19-inning game against the Atlanta Braves.

"The Pittsburgh Pirates organization is extremely disappointed by the way its 19-inning game against the Atlanta Braves ended earlier this morning," Coonelly said. "The game of baseball and this game in particular, filled with superlative performances by players on both clubs, deserved much better. We have filed a formal complaint with the Commissioner."

With one out in the bottom of the 19th, and runners on second and third, Atlanta relief pitcher Scott Proctor hit a grounder to third baseman Pedro Alvarez, who fired home to catcher Michael McKenry who--according to Meals--didn’t apply the tag to Lugo as he was called safe to end the game.
Video replays and photographs indicated that McKenry clearly tagged Lugo just below the knee.

"While we cannot begin to understand how Umpire Jerry Meals did not see the tag made by Michael McKenry three feet in front of home plate, we do not question the integrity of Mr. Meals," Coonelly continued. "Instead, we know that Mr. Meals’ intention was to get the call right. Jerry Meals has been umpiring Major League games for 14 years and has always done so with integrity and professionalism. He got this one wrong."

Coonelly added that he expects the experience to make the team "stronger, more unified and more determined."

http://www.pittsburghsportsreport.com/PSR/node/2577

steelersbabex25
07-27-2011, 06:38 PM
I guess some people just aren't ready to see the Pirates taking over baseball...

Lunchbucket
07-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Sorry boys that the braves had to break your hearts so late at night. Kinda looked like he was out. It is very possible there was no clear, clean tag. This could do some damage to the buccs. Great game.

He was clearly out.

--- Added 7/27/2011 at 09:28 PM ---

Bucs lose in the tenth 2-1.

StlersGuy
07-28-2011, 12:49 AM
ATLANTA -- Standing inside the umpires' locker room shortly before Wednesday's game, umpire Jerry Meals admitted that, after reviewing the play several times, his decision to call Atlanta's Julio Lugo safe on a 19th-inning play at the plate on Tuesday night was incorrect.

Meals' call gave the Braves a 4-3 win over the Pirates in a game that ended after 6 hours and 39 minutes. The ruling was immediately met with criticism from the Pirates, who believed catcher Michael McKenry had swiped Lugo on his tag, as well as from the public.

Meals would not take any questions about the call, but he did offer the following explanation:
"Pertaining to the play that ended the game as last night, as [Scott] Proctor hit the ground ball to [Pedro] Alvarez ... as he fielded the ball and threw home, I got into position to make the call. McKenry caught the ball, made a swipe tag attempt at Lugo sliding. I did not see any tag. After that, I ruled him safe.

"After coming into the locker room, I reviewed the incident through our videos that we have in here, and after seeing a few of them, on one particular replay, I was able to see that Lugo's pant leg moved ever so slightly when the swipe tag was attempted by McKenry. That's telling me that I was incorrect in my decision and that he should have been ruled out and not safe."

Meals' admission came just a little more than an hour after Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said that he hoped to hear an apology from the 14-year veteran. Because Meals would not answer questions, it's unclear whether he made a personal apology to Hurdle or any other members of the organization prior to the start of Wednesday's game.

"I've been told since I was 6 that when you make a mistake, you admit it, you do the best you can to move forward," Hurdle said. "I know that we're all forgiving. We're all capable of forgiving. I'm going to [forgive] regardless of how Jerry goes about it. I just think for our industry and for our fans and the players involved, that would be appropriate. That would be professional. That would be respectful. Then we could all move on.

"I think that brings closure to it."

There reportedly have been other repercussions for Meals, though. An ESPN.com story noted that Meals' family has been harassed since the game ended early Wednesday morning.

Meals did not comment on that subject, and an MLB representative at Turner Field said the threats are being handled internally.

"It's a security issue," the representative said, "and Major League Baseball always has those things under control."

The rest of the four-man umpiring crew stood alongside Meals as he offered his explanation. Crew chief Dale Scott followed Meals' short statement with one of his own.

"Obviously, we all walk out every day and try to get the calls right," Scott said. "We're usually very successful with it, but sometimes that doesn't happen. I know Jerry and myself and the crew welcome the support that we've been getting from baseball and we just hope that fans of the Pirates, and fans in general, understand that sometimes things happen. It certainly wasn't intentional."

Statements had already been issued by both Pirates president Frank Coonelly and Joe Torre, MLB executive vice president for baseball operations, earlier in the afternoon. The Pirates filed a formal complaint to the Commissioner's Office at about 2:30 a.m. ET.

Meals will remain with the crew for the final two games of the four-game series. He will umpire at third on Wednesday.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110727&content_id=22380834&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit

Scorp
07-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Just because i love the braves does not mean i totally back up that call. Only the catcher and lugo know for sure what happened. It's never a good feeling when a team gets robbed like that. What goes around comes around.

At least ATL won in extras last night fair and square.

steelersbabex25
07-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Just because i love the braves does not mean i totally back up that call. Only the catcher and lugo know for sure what happened. It's never a good feeling when a team gets robbed like that. What goes around comes around.

At least ATL won in extras last night fair and square.

McKenry, Lugo, and the rest of the world who saw it.

Rampage
07-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Did you guys see these?

http://www.tauntr.com/blog/jerry-meals-historically-bad-safe-calls

http://www.webpronews.com/jerry-meals-bravespirates-call-controversy-spawns-amazing-twitter-trend-2011-07

scpc
07-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Well we won tonight 5-2. go Pirates PS i am still mad at meals

Scorp
07-29-2011, 12:34 AM
Way to go buccs. You gave us a memorable series.

StlersGuy
07-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Next up the Phillies let's get a sweep

--- Added 7/29/2011 at 01:11 AM ---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp68fUzXlMw

Black@Gold Forever32
07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
Another tough series for the Bucs....I'm hoping they take two out of three......

Scorp
07-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Can't stand the damn phillies. Whip their butts boys.

Lunchbucket
07-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Tough series with the Braves.It was good for us to split with them.Hope we can hang tough in Philly the next 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--- Added 7/29/2011 at 10:26 AM ---

Another tough series for the Bucs....I'm hoping they take two out of three......

Yea......... 2 out of 3 would be sweet.

Rampage
07-29-2011, 12:30 PM
This is going to be a brutal series. By the way, the game is on the MLB Network tonight for anyone outside of the market.

mos07
07-29-2011, 05:31 PM
I know the the FA starts at six tonight for the NFL, but the Pirates have to do something BIG this weekend too, don't they??????

I haven't missed it today watching the NFL Network all day today, have I?

Lunchbucket
07-29-2011, 11:12 PM
We really got thumped tonight 10-3. Maybe hungover from the Brave series. Got to face Lee tomorrow night hope we can straightened out by then

StlersGuy
07-30-2011, 10:54 AM
That was ugly

Rampage
07-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Wait, you mean the Pirates couldn't hang with the Phillies? Why I never!

Lunchbucket
07-30-2011, 03:47 PM
That was ugly

Reality check..........IMHO this year has been a blessing,to play .500 ball is reasonable,Winning the National League Central possible,hanging with the Phillies on a consistant basis, won't happen until we get some bats in the lineup.We have waited this long and are only missing a few elements to be a serious contender.I am excited about this team,and feel they can only get better.That being said.......... GO BUCCOS BEAT THE PHILLIES:cope:

StlersGuy
07-31-2011, 04:42 PM
I still feel we will make a run for the NL Central after all we are only 3.5 back and with the Add on of Lee and if they can get another we will be ok

Rampage
07-31-2011, 05:02 PM
I liked the acquisition of Lee. I'd like to see another bat come in, as well.

StlersGuy
07-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Ludwick is coming to the Burgh....

story (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/pirates/s_749333.html)

Rampage
07-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Maybe he'll have some luck in PNC. Hopefully the hitting begins to improve, now.

StlersGuy
07-31-2011, 08:07 PM
Maybe he'll have some luck in PNC. Hopefully the hitting begins to improve, now.

It has to one would think

Rampage
08-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I guess the Pirates have given up on the season at this point. :dunno:

StlersGuy
08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I guess the Pirates have given up on the season at this point. :dunno:

:banging::cursin::willybs:

Rampage
08-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Seriously, batting was (and still is) awful, and now the pitching is garbage. I was figuring the Cubs would be a decent break for the team, but I guess the series against Philly left them hungover.

Thisoneguy555
08-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Lets face it, Pirates have always had decent seasons but up until a certain point they would fall off. I mean a couple years ago they were over .500 but then lost every game in July. It's just how it is, they've never gotten past that July hump. This year they actually made it to the end of July, so that's progress. I'm hoping they at least go over .500, would only be the 2nd time that happened since I was born in 1991

LatrobePA
08-03-2011, 10:30 AM
what a mess last night...ewwwwwwwwwwww

Lunchbucket
08-03-2011, 11:26 AM
what a mess last night...ewwwwwwwwwwww

I hope we don't panic,we need to stop this skid tonight.I really don't believe this is the same 'OLD PIRATES'.Hurdle has done well up to now ,August will be a real test for them,we got to find a way out of this funk.

LatrobePA
08-04-2011, 09:25 AM
I hope we don't panic,we need to stop this skid tonight.I really don't believe this is the same 'OLD PIRATES'.Hurdle has done well up to now ,August will be a real test for them,we got to find a way out of this funk.

Im trying to keep hope, but...........

StlersGuy
08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
We need to win badly......

Scorp
08-04-2011, 05:26 PM
C'mon buccos start whippin a little ***.

StlersGuy
08-04-2011, 11:37 PM
:lloyd: jinxed us :stirpot::banging::popcorn:

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Can you say melt down!! wtf!

Rampage
08-05-2011, 02:02 PM
Stick a fork in them.

LatrobePA
08-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Stick a fork in them.

They have a chance to right the ship tonight tonight with another ****** team coming to town..

Zachintosh66
08-05-2011, 07:04 PM
too little too late... back to reality

StlersGuy
08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Story (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110805&content_id=22782262&vkey=news_pit&c_id=pit&partnerId=rss_pit&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook)

Don't give up on the Pirates just yet

The Pirates are evolving into the Pirates again in the National League standings, and that's disturbing, especially if you reside anywhere near the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers. But here's the thing: This Pittsburgh bunch never was as prolific as it looked in early summer, and it isn't as ghastly as it has been lately.

What this means is ...

Well, just calm down, everybody. The Pirates still deserves more smiles than yawns, and they definitely shouldn't generate frowns. If nothing else, they are much better than their predecessors who spent the last 18 consecutive seasons with losing records. That streak ranks as the longest one in the history of professional sports in North America.
That streak will end this season, by the way, but to the Pirates' credit, they've wanted more than just to finish above .500.

"We expected to win. That was everybody's goal, and no way, we came out of Spring Training with the attitude of saying, 'Let's see what happens,'" said Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen. "We wanted to win a lot of games, so it wasn't a big surprise for us when we started to do well from the start. We knew change was going to come.

"This is something that we prepared for, and we all knew that if we went out and played as well as we could, we knew that we would be that Cinderella team that people felt like we've been."

Speaking of glass slippers and fairy godmothers, when the Pirates were surging two weeks ago with no signs of stopping through much of autumn, I had a question for catcher Michael McKenry, among the many in his clubhouse sprinkled with pixie dust.

I mean, could the Pirates keep the clock from striking midnight later rather than sooner?

"You know, we don't expect anything but the best every night," said McKenry, quickly and confidently, during a time back when the Pirates actually led the National League Central. "We're very optimistic about what we can do and about what we can handle, and we're just going to go out every night and play our game."

Ding-dong, ding-dong. Midnight is edging closer for the Pirates. And all you need to know is that the Cubs are as meek as they come these days. Even so, they roared enough this week to manage a four-game sweep in Pittsburgh for the first time since Dwight Eisenhower was president.

We're talking 52 years ago.

So, even though the Pirates are spending this weekend playing host to the usually shaky Padres, that's not necessarily a comforting thought for the Pirates Nation.

Consider, too, that after the Padres leave town, the Pirates will travel to San Francisco and Milwaukee, respectively, to face division leaders. After that, the Pirates will have 13 consecutive NL Central games against the Cardinals, the Reds and the Brewers.

After that, the rest of those "dings" and "dongs" will finish ringing to make this feel-good story lose its magic.

Or will it?

"I do believe people are (pulling for us), because it's a blue-collar story," said Clint Hurdle, who spent his first days as Pirates manager this spring working on changing the defeatist mentality of his new squad. He succeeded. "This has the potential of going from rags to riches, from last to first, from bad to good. It's all those things. It's one of those stories that just captures your attention. It motivates you," he said.

"I've been feeling it, just because of the (amount) of media attention we've been getting. It's the difference in the games that have been scheduled, with the changes in times."

In July, for instance, the Pirates were on a nationally televised Monday night game on ESPN for the first time since May 13, 2002. They are scheduled to appear on a Fox Saturday game by the end of the month for their first nationally televised home game in seven years.

According to the USA Today, the Pirates' local television and radio ratings are up 40 percent, and the paper also reported that the sales for merchandising surrounding the team is up beyond 45 percent. The Pirates' home attendance hasn't been larger since they moved into PNC Park in 2001. In fact, only two teams in the Major Leagues have experienced a larger one-year rise at gate than the Pirates.

Said Hurdle, nodding, "You feel it at our park. It's dripping at our park. And you actually see a lot more Pittsburgh Pirates (merchandise) when you're on the road. I had a worker grab me in the ballpark (in Atlanta) -- and I didn't even know him -- and he showed me his Steelers and his Pirates cap, and I went, 'Yeah. Alright. We're in, man. We're in.'"

What are the Pirates "in," you say? They are in the process of staying above mediocrity for a while.

Jason Bay. Jose Guillen. Xavier Nady. Nate McLouth. Freddy Sanchez. Jack Wilson. Aramis Ramirez. Jason Kendall. Those are just some of the talented players that the Pirates have shipped away during their streak of infamy. In contrast, the Trade Deadline came and went this season around Pittsburgh, and not only did the Pirates acquire veteran slugger Derrek Lee, they didn't part with any of their future.

The Pirates still have second baseman Neil Walker and McCutchen for a batting order that doesn't harken back to the days of Clemente and Stargell, but it's a start. The same goes for a mostly rising pitching staff, led by starter Jeff Karstens with one of the lowest ERAs in the league, and Joel Hanrahan, their wonderful closer.

The Pirates also have enough impressive prospects to fill gaps to stay vibrant through the next couple of years or so.

This isn't too say the Pirates aren't focused on now.

"You know, it's been a cute story, actually," Hurdle said. "But when we go out to win a ballgame, we give it everything we've got."

It just hasn't been enough lately.

Clevelandsux
08-06-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm really crushed. I was really becoming a believer. Bought some pirate gear and sporting it proudly. Getting swept by the cubs was rough. That was a team I thought we could handle. Getting crushed by the Padres? What's going on? Seems like there pitching, which has carried them all year is the problem. I always felt we didn't have enough offense. But we have been scoring runs.

I mean yes, we've almost won as many games as last year. But, all i want is for us to finish with a winning record. I love the bucs. I'm so distraught what has happened to this franchise since 1992.

Come on guys, get it together!

Clevelandsux
08-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Or are we just not playing the Astros enough.

StlersGuy
08-06-2011, 02:39 PM
This is getting really bad and the bleeding has got to stop soon. We went from 7 games over .500 to 4 games under.

Rampage
08-06-2011, 03:01 PM
The pitching fell apart on the Pirates so now they have no offense or defense. Pretty much cannon fodder until they can regain some confidence.

Dako
08-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Still holding out for a winning record this year. It's good to still be hoping for a winning record in August. Anything more than that was just a dream.....with the exception of a few of these games in the losing streak, most have been good games with bad breaks.

Zachintosh66
08-07-2011, 02:07 PM
damn getting shelled latley!

Clevelandsux
08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Hasn't been the same since that bad call in the 19 inning game vs the Braves.

Thisoneguy555
08-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Well they are still 54-59. Whens the last time the Pirates were ever in playoff contention midway through the season? I say this has been a good season regardless of how it'll turn out. It's just sad to see them on this losing streak in front of record setting home crowds.

Dako
08-07-2011, 06:29 PM
yeah...and the giants are up next.....

LatrobePA
08-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Good win last night...

Rampage
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Another win, holy cow! Hopefully they are regaining some of their confidence as a team and can battle back to .500. That would be an accomplishment for this team.