PDA

View Full Version : Steelers players in the NFL top 100

BlitzburghRockCity
06-28-2011, 01:03 AM
James Harrison at 21
Ben Roethlisberger at 41
Lamarr Woodley at 82

The Top 10 are still to be revealed, do you see any other players on the Steelers making the list yet? The obvious assumption is that Troy will be in the top 10 somewhere.

The fans had Woodley ranked at 61, Roethlisberger at 35, and Harrison at 29. It's a bit interesting that "experts" ranked Harrison higher than the fans did. Obviously the fan input was not just from Steelers fans. Still though, I would have liked to see James Farrior make this list. I could see him in the top 50 players overall IMO.

Lunchbucket
06-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Even though he was a rookie ,Pouncey should have made the list along with Timmons.IMHO

andyg1984
06-28-2011, 11:28 AM
You can't be serious about James Farrior making the list .. espec at that spot

I am surprised Mike Wallace has not had his name thrown out there .. 5th most yards in the league and double-digit TD's ..

K Train
06-28-2011, 11:30 AM
farrior has been tiptoeing on awful for 3 years

JensK
06-28-2011, 11:59 AM
The problem with this list is that it should compose the 100 best players ATM, not the best players for the full duration of their career. As such, Farrior is nowhere near top 50. I would also argue that Payton Manning is not a top 10 player in the NFL. Over the course of his career he might just be the best QB to play this game but right now I would put a couple of QBs and a bunch of players ahead of him.

Dean Denton
06-29-2011, 03:03 AM
The problem with this list is that it should compose the 100 best players ATM, not the best players for the full duration of their career. As such, Farrior is nowhere near top 50. I would also argue that Payton Manning is not a top 10 player in the NFL. Over the course of his career he might just be the best QB to play this game but right now I would put a couple of QBs and a bunch of players ahead of him. I agree, Manning played like crap last year. The top two guys should be the guys in the SB. Brady played ok...urghh, i cant believe i just said that...

DanRooney
06-29-2011, 06:54 AM
No doubt Peyton Manning comes in at #1. He's great, sure, but he's also the most overrated player in the history of the game. "But without Peyton, the team is 1-15!" Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Freeney, Mathis, and his all-pro line must really be overrated too then. I wonder why they always make the pro bowl.

LatrobePA
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
As a pure fan of the NFL this list is fn off, Steelers players aside the list is lame...

K Train
06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
too much of the list is weighted on their career....ray lewis may be the best MLB of all time but he wasnt a top 10 player in 2010 and he wont be in 2011...he wasnt even a top ten MLB last year.

So this accounts for their career and reputation, the importance of the position considering theres QBs so high despite other players being better at their position and truly great, and the also have some players ranked on potential of how they should be in 2011....its very inconsistent

BlitzburghRockCity
06-29-2011, 06:32 PM
This is why so many think this list is so bogus, players don't just look at the last season. They look at how a player did every time they played each other or their stats over a career. No matter how you slice it if you get the fans or the players involved it's going to be off because nobody can agree with who had a good single season, possibly leaving off a big name because they had a down year. If somebody didn't rate Manning or Brady in the top 5 they'd be crucified regardless of a single season failure or success.

Farrior Fan
06-29-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm guessing no O linemen in the AFCN got to vote, because there is zero chance that any of them would have voted Silverback lower than #1

Rivers higher than Ben....:lol:

And Ktrain - watch the Farrior comments, he is still getting it done. Of course I am a homer as I saw him play HS ball and absolutely blow up everyone.

MattyVfromCT
06-30-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm guessing no O linemen in the AFCN got to vote, because there is zero chance that any of them would have voted Silverback lower than #1

Rivers higher than Ben....:lol:

And Ktrain - watch the Farrior comments, he is still getting it done. Of course I am a homer as I saw him play HS ball and absolutely blow up everyone.

Ehh, even though Farrior had a better season than 09, he's still nowhere near what he used to be. It drives me nuts watching guys like ray rice absolutely own him. Id really like to see what Stevenson Sylvester can do in his place he was on fire during the preseason last year. Timmons/Stevenson in the inside can be scary good

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

andyg1984
06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
all farrior needs to know it is a good year for MLB's in the draft

--- Added 6/30/2011 at 11:46 AM ---

just reading down the list and seeing Suggs right ahead of Ben is a red-flag, but what really made me gag was to see little wes welker ahead of marshall ..

i will say a cool thing about the list was to see profiles on some of the guys like Hali and gurode who we dont hear about too often ..

K Train
06-30-2011, 02:06 PM
farrior has been pretty terrible. and yes, probably the best year for MLBs that i can remember

Vontaze Burficit is a maniac, actually truly pshycotic on the field and plays with no regard for his or anyone elses body.

Manti Teo is a hammer and extremely versatile with amazing instincts...actually farrior might be a good comparison considering he can probably play any LB position.

Donta Hightower is just a mammoth of a man and a great interior pass rusher....i think hes a 3rd round kinda guy

luke kuechley is really good and very instinctive, just not a good fit.

i love slyvester, but him playing with timmons isnt the best duo they could put on the field....unless timmons slides into farriors spot and really plays well there, they are the sma ekind of player and a bit undersized. i hope he gets more playing time so we can find out

Farrior Fan
06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
That Ray Rice touchdown was flat out embarressing for #51....I still think he does what he needs to, but Lebeau has to realize that Farrior should never cover a TE. He really lost a step before the 09 season.

--- Added 6/30/2011 at 12:57 PM ---

Vontaze in Black and Gold would be a beautiful thing.

Dean Denton
07-04-2011, 04:45 AM
not sure how pouncy missed on this list, he was the #2 rookie behind suh. talk about upside this kid is a stud. him missing the SB I think cost the steelers the game two big plays up the middle forced bad throws. he was missed big time. ben at 41, really? should be the haters list. how is freeman better than eli?

steelerschick1220
07-04-2011, 11:12 PM
When I saw Ben at 41 I about spit my lunch out. And from that moment on, I really stopped taking the rest of this list seriously. I believe that today's NFL players must have special needs to have ranked some of these guys where they did. And we should have had about 7 guys on this list, not 4. I about rolled out of my chair laughing when I saw Ray Lewis in the top five. Um, he hasn't been a top five player in the league in several years.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-05-2011, 09:15 AM
ESPN also did a similar poll of their top 100 players. Roethlisberger ranked much higher, and I believe Troy was the top defender.

andyg1984
07-05-2011, 02:03 PM
acc to walterfootball, timmons should have been top 35 .. http://walterfootball.com/nfltop100.php

MattyVfromCT
07-05-2011, 04:14 PM
ESPN also did a similar poll of their top 100 players. Roethlisberger ranked much higher, and I believe Troy was the top defender.

Yeah ben was 7th and troy was 5th. My only beef with their list was it was pretty much all qbs

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

K Train
07-05-2011, 04:33 PM
ray lewis a top 5 PLAYER in 2011? lmaooooooooooooooo

he may be the best MLB of all time but hes not a top 5 PLAYER in the league and hes not a top 5 linebacker at the moment.

list fail...too much emphasis on QBs, on past career, and on future potential. inconsitency

connecticutsteel
07-05-2011, 06:56 PM
I think reed and lewis were great players who should probably retire they don't belong on this list they would make my all time list

andyg1984
07-05-2011, 07:22 PM
this is why the players are not relied upon more for voting and it is handled by the media - the players don't understand the criteria/don't bother to understand the criteria and it shows up in the inconsistency... i doubt they were hit with this sudden sense of responsibility of breaking it down to the level it requires either ..

BlitzburghRockCity
07-06-2011, 02:09 PM
There's never going to be a scenario where everyone agrees. The players pick who they like and that is skewed based on past experience as much as the current time. The fans pick players from their teams many times, and also can exclude good players from teams they hate. The media can be unbiased but as we can see they don't get it right according to the fans or the players.

The top 100 is whatever you make it.