PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: Surgery an option

StlersGuy
06-25-2011, 11:23 AM
From ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6703394)

A broken foot that slowed Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger through much of the end of last season -- and into the playoffs and Super Bowl -- may need an operation to correct the injury.

Roethlisberger, speaking to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Friday, said his right foot bothered him so much last season "there were times during practice and games where I didn't feel like I'd be able to walk."
But the lockout, Roethlisberger told the newspaper, has given him time to rest. And as a result the foot has nearly fully healed.

"I could have had surgery, but according to the doctors it would have been a really nasty process because of where the break was," Roethlisberger said. "It was better off trying not to do anything. It's going to be something where we're just going to have to, in essence, play it by ear.

"If it continues to be as painful as it was at the end of last year, then I'm going to probably have to have the surgery."

But as the lockout continues -- Saturday marked the standoff's 102nd day -- Roethlisberger has taken advantage of the downtime.

"It's doing really good. It's healed up," he said. "Obviously, it helps when I'm not cutting and planting and doing all of these different activities. It's really come a long way. I haven't had too many problems with it recently."

Roethlisberger overcame the injury to lead the Steelers to the Super Bowl, where they lost 31-25 to the Green Bay Packers.
A metal-reinforced cleat helped him though the injury, starting with a Dec. 5 game at Baltimore and throughout the rest of the season and playoffs -- eight games, all told.

After his four-game suspension to start the season, Roethlisberger returned to throw for 3,200 yards with 17 touchdowns and five interceptions.

But the loss to the Packers still burns, he said.

"I don't know if it will ever really go away," he said, "unless you can get back and win one."

Update 6/27, Ryan Tollner, Ben's agent says nothing has changed with Ben's foot. (http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=425820#post425820)

Real Deal Steel
06-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Why didn't he get the surgery after the season was over then????

DBR96A
06-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Maybe the doctors told him to just let it heal?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-25-2011, 04:46 PM
He said the doctors told him it was just as good to let it heal on it's own. I would guess had the lockout not happened he may have just went ahead and done it.

My concern is, if it flares up once training camp does start and he decides to have the surgery, how long would he be down for?

StlersGuy
06-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Why didn't he get the surgery after the season was over then????

that's the 1st thing that came to my head as I was reading this:thinking:

Root4Stlrs
06-25-2011, 05:34 PM
He said the doctors told him it was just as good to let it heal on it's own. I would guess had the lockout not happened he may have just went ahead and done it.

My concern is, if it flares up once training camp does start and he decides to have the surgery, how long would he be down for?

It's actually better to let it heal on its own unless it's so displaced or whatever that they have to do some sort of open reduction. Doesn't sound like that was the case with Ben. He said it's healed now. He didn't really clarify why he might have to play it by ear about surgery. I can't imagine running around on a broken foot like he did though.

steeldoc
06-25-2011, 06:27 PM
This is just Ben being Ben...he is a bit of a drama queen at times.

steelers4life66
06-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I can't imagine running around on a broken foot like he did though.

And all these c**ksmokers call him a sissy!!

Rampage
06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Amputate it and give him a peg leg. He'll still be able to brush off Suggs.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-25-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm sure he's talked with the Steelers doctors as well, off the record since the lockout has been in place. At this point unless they thought it was going to affect him in 2011 he'd have had the surgery by now. Still though if this flares up once the season starts it could be bad news.

StlersGuy
06-25-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm sure he's talked with the Steelers doctors as well, off the record since the lockout has been in place. At this point unless they thought it was going to affect him in 2011 he'd have had the surgery by now. Still though if this flares up once the season starts it could be bad news.

News I for sure don't want to here :rant2:

connecticutsteel
06-26-2011, 09:00 AM
12-4 broken foot top five imo

Real Deal Steel
06-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Sorry..

But if you know for a fact that surgery would fix it, he should of had the surgery.

Hoping rest will fix it, or knowing surgery will fix it.....which one is better?????????????

Root4Stlrs
06-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Sorry..

But if you know for a fact that surgery would fix it, he should of had the surgery.

Hoping rest will fix it, or knowing surgery will fix it.....which one is better?????????????

It really isn't clear what surgery is going to fix. If the bone has actually healed, then he wouldn't need surgery. If they were going to pin it, they should have done that a long time ago. Pinning just stabilizes it so you don't have to be immobilized as long. It doesn't cause it to heal faster. He said if he has pain recur when he starts to run around on it, he might have to have surgery. They can't give him a 100% guarantee that he won't have pain - even if he had surgery they still couldn't say 100% he wouldn't experience pain. I think that is what he is talking about when he says play it by ear. I just don't believe it is going to be a problem.

--- Added 6/26/2011 at 06:37 PM ---

And all these c**ksmokers call him a sissy!!

Exactly. Most of them would have been screaming their heads off and begging for morphine.

LatrobePA
06-27-2011, 08:39 AM
This one has me a little baffled, if the fn thing was that bad go under the knife after the SB loss and be ready with a freshly healed foot come TC...

I don't like the "Troy" approach!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
From Ed Bouchette at the PG:

Ryan Tollner, the agent for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, said there is nothing new concerning the foot injury his client sustained last season. The Post-Gazette reported in February that the foot would not require surgery "as of now."
Roethlisberger was quoted last week in a story saying the foot might require surgery in the future. Some national wire services picked up on the story and assumed there was some "new" news in there.

Tollner said, in fact, there is nothing new.

"There's nothing new there," Tollner said. "The doctors elected not to do surgery and to let it heal. If it ever got worse, they might have to do something. Ben is kind of surprised that it's getting the attention. He hopes and expects never to have surgery on it. The foot was feeling better after the season, with the extra time this offseason, it's feeling great."

LatrobePA
06-28-2011, 02:59 PM
Ben's a dick! lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82084b23/article/agent-big-bens-surgery-comments-blown-out-of-proportion?module=HP_headlines

Rampage
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Ben's a dick! lol

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82084b23/article/agent-big-bens-surgery-comments-blown-out-of-proportion?module=HP_headlines

Why do you think they call him Big Ben?

LatrobePA
06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Why do you think they call him Big Ben?

Because of his HUGE clock?

Rampage
06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Because of his HUGE clock?

Precisely.

Callax
06-28-2011, 07:29 PM
I hope that if he needs surgery get it done now so it will not be an issue during the season (if we have one)

steelerschick1220
07-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I hope this doesn't become an issue. It would be just our luck that he would need surgery and somehow ends up missing the first game of the year against the Ravens. And then the Ravens would get the win, and we would have to hear that this is their division and blah blah....