PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward says he'll play a few more years

BlitzburghRockCity
06-19-2011, 12:07 AM
As you might have read and saw on NFL Network, Hines Ward was a recent guest and talked about several topics including how much longer he wants to play. He's not ready to hang it up yet and feels good this offseason. He wants to try and win another super bowl before hanging up the cleats and possibly heading into the media/analyst side of the business. One thing is for sure, he won't miss playing against Ray Lewis...

From the Tribune Review

Well, here is what you do when the lockout is nearing its 100th day: you follow chats such as the one that Hines Ward conducted Wednesday afternoon on NFL.com.
The best question may have come from Dre in Balitmore. He asked Ward what he liked about Baltimore and the Ravens -- and Dre said he was giving Ward a chance to take his “hatred” of arguably the most reviled Steeler ever in Baltimore down a level.
Ward’s response? “Dre, calm down! Don’t hate! I love Baltimore. There’s nothing greater than beating Baltimore in Baltimore. LOL!
Zing!

Here is what else Ward, who recently had surgery to repair ligament damage in his left thumb, had to say during his chat.

On his health
“My health is good. Feel good and I'm ready to start the season. I feel like a doctor on call, and I'm ready to go. I'm ready to go out there and compete and hopefully make another run at the Super Bowl.”

On how his stint on “Dancing With the Stars” will help him on the football field
“It definitely helped me speed up my footwork and hopefully that carries over into running routes.”

On how the Bengals will fare in 2011, assuming there is a season
“I love them picking A.J. Green cuz he’s a Georgia guy. But I don’t know about the stability of their team with Carson Palmer maybe not coming back and Chad Ochocinco, too, maybe.”

On the hardest hitter against who he has ever played
“They’re all tough, but I wish Ray Lewis would retire so I could play against Baltimore just once without him. LOL.”

On if his post-playing plans include coaching
“Teaching is easy, but I want to try the media side of things first because I could still be close to the game without being emotionally involved in the outcome.”

Callax
06-19-2011, 11:45 AM
I'd love to see him play for a few more years.... I'd really like to see him amass over 1000 catches, 12,000-13,000 yards and over a 100TD's for his career...
Even with these numbers, it does not guarantee HOF induction
Cris Carter should have been a 1st ballot inductee, but for whatevere unexplainable reason he is not!!!!

steeldoc
06-19-2011, 12:45 PM
He will be in the HOF...but it will take awhile. Another ring would not hurt his cause.

K Train
06-19-2011, 12:49 PM
hopefully its not with the steelers...id like to see the youth movement take over

DanRooney
06-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Agreed. I'd rather have a weapon like Brown in the slot that can beat you underneath as well as over the top. Ward doesn't scare anyone as a big play receiver.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Well I think its safe to say he will be with the team this season but if he wants to remain with the team in the next few years then I hope its just as a 4th/5th WR......I agree that the offense needs to see the younger WR's with more speed getting more snaps.........

connecticutsteel
06-19-2011, 07:41 PM
I think it's not realistic for Hines to play longer than two more seasons i think they will offer him a spot in the organization scouting ,coaching something along those lines he has the perfect demenor for it if this doest happen i see him and his smile on a pre game show
Chris Carter is not in the hall of fame because he has no super bowl rings and he insulted the hall when he didnt get in he spoke publically he compared him self to others already enshrined and said he deserved it and that's a no no

Steel Trap86
06-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I think Ward sticking around will only better the receivers. He has the veteran leadership and gritty attitude that the other guys take to.

My guess is he will probably split reps with Wallace next season and gradually decline down the depth chart, but his presence on the sideline is a positive imo. No way he plays for another team, he will retire a Steeler. He might not even play the next 3 years as he said, because he says he wants one more Superbowl and who knows, the Steelers could go on another run and take one. I don't see how this team would not be a top Superbowl contender this season.

But I agree 100% that the young guns need the opportunities to shine. I like Brown as a legit 2nd option in 2012.

K Train
06-19-2011, 10:29 PM
I think Ward sticking around will only better the receivers. He has the veteran leadership and gritty attitude that the other guys take to.

misconception....just because he smiles a lot and throws some blocks doesnt mean hes gonna be an asset for much longer

hes been a complainer all along, complaining about drafting plaxico, really complaining about drafting holmes, hes complained about ben, hes held out for more money but he maintains status of being a golden boy for us.

hes been a good, reliable option for a long time, but he wont like a limited role, he wont like being pushed down the depth chart, or take a paycut....and if he sticks around just because they think they owe it to him its gonna hold the team back

Steel Trap86
06-19-2011, 11:49 PM
He still does a bit more then smile and throw blocks. I don't think he expects to be a #1, he knows Brown, Sanders and Wallace are coming up. Wallace basically took over in the second half of last season and Ward was not our top option in the playoffs either, looked good in the Superbowl though.

Didn't even know he complained about Plax or Holmes, but I know Ben was whining about a taller receiver right before we drafted Sweed. Also when Holmes made that catch, Ward was on the field and was the first to jump on him in celebration, so I think at the end of the day all he wants to do is win.

jpele
06-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Complainer , in a sense yes but when you're the best receiver on the team and they keep drafting guys and pushing you to the bench, I'd be a little pissed too.

Misconception, hardly, ask any receiver including Holmes and Burress who was the most helpful to them while they were learning the system and they all say Hines Ward was the one that took them under his wing. Hines is still an asset to this team.

K Train
06-20-2011, 09:08 AM
you dont complain as a #1 WR when you get a legit #2 WR...all that does is open things up for you, unfortunately for him he was an above average possesion WR and these guys were more along the lines of threats of taking that #1 role from him and he had to be the guy.

never been a huge fan of hines, and i hope the team has enough sense to realize when its time to part ways, they dont owe ward anything

LarryNJ
06-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Complainer , in a sense yes but when you're the best receiver on the team and they keep drafting guys and pushing you to the bench, I'd be a little pissed too.

Misconception, hardly, ask any receiver including Holmes and Burress who was the most helpful to them while they were learning the system and they all say Hines Ward was the one that took them under his wing. Hines is still an asset to this team.

Why be pissed that they are drafting players to push you? First off there's always at least 2 WR's on the field many times 3 and 4. It's part of being a player there's always a younger fast stronger guy trying to take your job.

I agree it's not a misconception he has been and still is a huge asset to the team. Hines has been teaching the young guys for many years. He even says teaching is easy. I think it was easy for him because he talented guys to teach. :)

On if his post-playing plans include coaching
“Teaching is easy, but I want to try the media side of things first because I could still be close to the game without being emotionally involved in the outcome.”

I think he'll be great in the media.