PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin gets contract extension to coach Giants

AZ_Steeler
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AvkhU6D9hum0SlvND2JSHLI5nYcB?slug=ap-coughlinstays&prov=ap&type=lgns)

By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
January 10, 2007

CALDWELL, N.J. (AP) -- An embattled Tom Coughlin was given another year to coach the New York Giants on Wednesday after he convinced owners he can make Eli Manning a better quarterback and the team a winner.

"He has a vision and he understands how that vision can now move forward," co-owner Jonathan Tisch said during a conference call to announce Coughlin's one-year contract extension. "He did not have to save his job. He did not have to talk us into anything."

Coughlin, 60, seemingly was on the hot seat after weathering a disappointing 8-8 regular season, fan and player unrest and a second straight first-round loss in the playoffs on Sunday.

In the two days that followed, Tisch and fellow co-owner John Mara talked football and coaching philosophy with Coughlin, who had a year left on the deal he signed in 2004.

The owners didn't ask Coughlin to make any changes and they said they were satisfied he was the right man to lead the Giants.

I guess we can scratch him off the list as a candidate... ;)

House of Steel
01-10-2007, 03:52 PM
They are going to kick themselves for doing this. Shockey and Burress hates his *** and so does Tiki Barber, but he is retiring. He is a damn dictator up there in Giants Land.

(Sorry about that, Chris, I mispelled the word.)

AZ_Steeler
01-10-2007, 03:54 PM
They are going to kick themselves for doing this. Shockey and Burress hates his *** and so does Tiki Barber, but he is retiring. He is a damn dicator up there in Giants Land.

a "dicator" what's that? :scratch:

Blitzburgh55
01-10-2007, 04:06 PM
This is why the giants suck the have a horable Front Office

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm glad to see the G-Men continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Ambridge
01-10-2007, 07:44 PM
The Giants are only going to end up firing him next year.

Koopa
01-10-2007, 07:46 PM
well, when the team was winning everyone seemed fine with him, injuries ****ed em this season....and the fact that they have one of the most overrated qb's ever also hurt them

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
There's a reason Coughlin couldnt make it with the Jags over the long haul. He's not a players coach and today's players don't respond to flat out discipline and boot camp style coaching. The guy needs to take some classes on how to teach and coach today's athlete.

The giants are a train wreck and next year they won't have Barber to keep them in games.

K Train
01-10-2007, 11:40 PM
this might be a move to get cowher next year that way they can have a coach theyve had some success with and fire him after next season, without firing a new coach without giving him a chance...lot of cowher rumors goin around, hes gonna be a rich man come 08

Ambridge
01-11-2007, 08:45 AM
this might be a move to get cowher next year that way they can have a coach theyve had some success with and fire him after next season, without firing a new coach without giving him a chance...lot of cowher rumors goin around, hes gonna be a rich man come 08

Yeah.....I heard that as well.
Keeping Coughlin around as an unofficial "lame duck" so the Giants could make a play for Cowher next year.

Bill Cowher in New York?? I would pay high dollar to sit in on a Cowher presser with the New York sports media.