PDA

View Full Version : One former Steelers player you'd like to have on the roster now?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2011, 10:38 AM
For some reason I was thinking about this the other day, of all the former Steelers that have left to go to other teams or retired, who would you like to have back on the team now. Either as a coach or a player?

I'd love to have Greg Lloyd back as a linebackers assistant. His relentless motor and passion for the game is something anyone could emulate even now. I think he'd be a great motivator for the defense, a good players type coach.

K Train
06-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Rod Woodson wins this one in a blowout for me

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Great call on Woodson, I would suspect now that he's with the Raiders their secondary will jump to a new level. I like the Carnell Lake hiring by Tomlin but Woodson would have been a helluva choice too.

I really hated seeing Kevin Green over on the Packers sideline during the Super Bowl last year, just totally rubbed me the wrong way..lol

Another one we might not think of would be Dermontti Dawson. As great as he was at Center he'd be prime addition as an assisant OL coach.

LarryNJ
06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Woodson & Blount in the secondary not as coaches.

I think you are over valuing the coaches Matt. Very seldom is a great player a great coach. More times than not the are average or poor coaches.

K Train
06-17-2011, 11:17 AM
most great players are great because they are freaks in some way or another....troy and ed reed would be terrible coaches, they dont play with fundementals, troy trains like a figure skater, and they freelance and are the most undisciplined players you would ever see, but they are freak athletes and freak instinctive football players.

charlie batch woudl make a hell of a coach, and thats because he HAS to have good fundementals and smarts for him to be effective even in a backup role.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't necessarily want them as the main positional coach, more of an assistant. I like how Keith Butler does the linebackers now, and I would imagine Carnell Lake will be a fine secondary coach. I like having former players on the staff as assistant coaches, it gives the players someone to relate too on their level that's played the game recently.

connecticutsteel
06-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Im from the school that says the elite player usually make the worst coaches in the case of troy people always say "you can't teach that " instinct is why this player is great other players make up for lack of instinct with great technique those are the great coaches BTW troy trains with Marinovich sports systems they also train BJ Penn world champion mma fighter this is far from figure skating training

i would like a young fresh legged Alan Fanaca on the team next to pouncey our running game coupled with the quick strike ability of Wallace we would be awesome that's why as much as i like Heyward we should have took sherrod

K Train
06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqKysjhHopA&feature=player_embedded

sorry bro, this is how 12 year old gymnasatics teams, hippies, and figure skaters train. its no wonder he gets hurt so much because he doesnt train with the team and pro strength and conditioning coaches....team that with him being undersized and playing like a torpedo=injuries

Rampage
06-17-2011, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqKysjhHopA&feature=player_embedded

sorry bro, this is how 12 year old gymnasatics teams, hippies, and figure skaters train. its no wonder he gets hurt so much because he doesnt train with the team and pro strength and conditioning coaches....team that with him being undersized and playing like a torpedo=injuries

I can understand why Polamalu uses that training (supposedly exceptional for flexibility and explosiveness), but yeah, I would like to see some conventional lifting in there. Some squatting and deadlifting isn't going to kill the guy.

K Train
06-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I can understand why Polamalu uses that training (supposedly exceptional for flexibility and explosiveness), but yeah, I would like to see some conventional lifting in there. Some squatting and deadlifting isn't going to kill the guy.

im really not knocking the idea behind it, but he also has a vegan diet (i believe) and hasnt lifted weights in a traditional sense since he was a monster at USC. the dude had like over a 400 pound bench and could squat with anyone....him not training with the team and staying in LA being approved to let him do this **** really does bother me though. Working this stuff into your routine is important, but like you said i dont think it would be a bad thing at all to do some traditional weight lifting either.

timmons added 15 pounds of solid muscle and his injury issues were put to rest, im just saying...it does help

regardless though, i wouldnt want troy coaching anyone on my team

Rampage
06-17-2011, 03:28 PM
im really not knocking the idea behind it, but he also has a vegan diet (i believe) and hasnt lifted weights in a traditional sense since he was a monster at USC. the dude had like over a 400 pound bench and could squat with anyone....him not training with the team and staying in LA being approved to let him do this **** really does bother me though. Working this stuff into your routine is important, but like you said i dont think it would be a bad thing at all to do some traditional weight lifting either.

timmons added 15 pounds of solid muscle and his injury issues were put to rest, im just saying...it does help

regardless though, i wouldnt want troy coaching anyone on my team

I mean, he wouldn't even have to go heavy if he is worried about that. Hell, moderate weight and high reps would probably give him a substantial amount of lean mass and I don't think it would inhibit his speed too much. Timmons is a great example.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I know Faneca didn't really leave on the greatest terms, but from a player standpoint I think lineman would do well to learn from a guy that did it at a high level for such a long time. He may go down as one of the top Steeler draft picks of the modern era.

Farrior Fan
06-17-2011, 11:27 PM
I want Mean Joe back in the lineup. In his prime he would still tear through modern O lines. Can you imagine our current D with Joe in there? We wouldn't even need a CB because no QB would ever call a pass play past the line of scrimmage.

Lunchbucket
06-18-2011, 08:03 AM
I want Mean Joe back in the lineup. In his prime he would still tear through modern O lines. Can you imagine our current D with Joe in there? We wouldn't even need a CB because no QB would ever call a pass play past the line of scrimmage.

Perfect (what more can I say ?):tt02::cope::helmet:

connecticutsteel
06-18-2011, 08:36 AM
HA i don't see any gymnasts i love it the first time anyone deviates from the norm they say it's wrong or he's a hippie beleive me flexability will save your knees before traditional training hate him all u want call him a hippie would u prefer someone else?

DanRooney
06-18-2011, 09:20 AM
You say he's an athletic freak then say he trains like a 12 year old. :thinking: I'd be willing to bet you'd be crying like a 12 year old training with Marinovich. It's not like his injuries were caused do to his lack of bench pressing. Anyone would have gotten injured a guy as big as Crumpler sits on the side of your leg when its fully extended.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2011, 10:57 AM
I would have to go with Rod Woodson also but Greg Lloyd would be my 2nd choice.......Woodson was a complete corner and also could play safety like he did later in his career....Plus was one hell of a return man.....He also had that river boat gambler about him which could lead to a big play given up or him taking it to the house on a pick six....I love that in a corner.......Sometimes you have to take a risk........

Harrison and Lloyd as a combo at OLB would be scary for the NFL today and really I don't think Furher Goodell could handle that....lol

Zachintosh66
06-18-2011, 11:14 AM
easy, woodson

lloyd was fun to watch in his hey day tho

what about jerome?

K Train
06-18-2011, 01:46 PM
HA i don't see any gymnasts i love it the first time anyone deviates from the norm they say it's wrong or he's a hippie beleive me flexability will save your knees before traditional training hate him all u want call him a hippie would u prefer someone else?
my bad, i forgot your not allowed to criticize troy polamalu without wanting him off the team. no i dont want someone else, i never suggested that, but i do think his training method is pretty weak for a pro football player, and thats not a guy i would want coaching my players on top of his natural ability and relentlessness and lack of discipline he would be a terrible coach because he goes away from fundementals that most need in favor of taking advantage of his unreal athleticness and elite instincts.

You say he's an athletic freak then say he trains like a 12 year old. :thinking: I'd be willing to bet you'd be crying like a 12 year old training with Marinovich. It's not like his injuries were caused do to his lack of bench pressing. Anyone would have gotten injured a guy as big as Crumpler sits on the side of your leg when its fully extended.
a "freak" athlete when he was a highschool and college player....just naturally a man among boys. He was incredible at USC, i dont know if you followed him but he was one of the best athletes for the position, only better "athlete" as a SS i can think of would be laron landry who went a dozen spots earlier and is half the player.

and its not "bench pressing" i was just noting how powerful he is, but typical strength and conditioning training that these guys go through would go a long way to him reducing injuries because it would bulk him back up...he was at his best when he was hovering around 215-217, right now i think hes more around 205, which is a big difference for a player like him

BlitzburghRockCity
06-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Without turning this into a Troy thread, I will say that when he was in college from what I know he was more into the traditional training methods, including being in the weight room more. Regardless of what methods he's using, all the years of wear and tear from his wreckless play style may be just catching up with him.

Leon Searcy was a pretty beastly Offensive Tackle for a time, as was Ray Seals on the defensive line.

Rampage
06-20-2011, 12:57 PM
my bad, i forgot your not allowed to criticize troy polamalu without wanting him off the team. no i dont want someone else, i never suggested that, but i do think his training method is pretty weak for a pro football player, and thats not a guy i would want coaching my players on top of his natural ability and relentlessness and lack of discipline he would be a terrible coach because he goes away from fundementals that most need in favor of taking advantage of his unreal athleticness and elite instincts.

a "freak" athlete when he was a highschool and college player....just naturally a man among boys. He was incredible at USC, i dont know if you followed him but he was one of the best athletes for the position, only better "athlete" as a SS i can think of would be laron landry who went a dozen spots earlier and is half the player.

and its not "bench pressing" i was just noting how powerful he is, but typical strength and conditioning training that these guys go through would go a long way to him reducing injuries because it would bulk him back up...he was at his best when he was hovering around 215-217, right now i think hes more around 205, which is a big difference for a player like him

I agree with you: I would prefer to see him a bit heavier. I wouldn't want to see him scrap his current training regiment, but adding some power moves would add a substantial amount of lean mass to his lower body and core. Bench press? Doesn't mean ****. Squatting with chains, deficit deadlifts, power cleans and the like can add a hell of a lot of power and explosiveness to the lower body. The added mass can also go a long way to injury prevention.

Just like I wouldn't want to see a player do all of his training in the weight room, I don't want to see it all as flexibility/endurance/balance training.