PDA

View Full Version : Hunt for Cowher's successor could end quickly

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2007, 01:33 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07010/752517-66.stm

2 in-house candidates would keep the other, if possible; 4th interview is scheduled today

Wednesday, January 10, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers could choose Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt to become their next head coach and, not only would they keep most of their coaching staff intact, the candidate not selected could return as well.

Grimm and Whisenhunt have told people privately that they would return as a Steelers assistant coach if they are not chosen as the team's head coach and if they are not hired elsewhere as a head coach.

Thus, if Grimm is hired as the Steelers' head coach, he could have Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator -- with the possible additional title of assistant head coach, the same one Grimm has now as offensive line coach. And if Whisenhunt is promoted to Steelers head coach, Grimm could return in his same capacity.

Whisenhunt, who was interviewed by the Steelers yesterday, and Grimm, interviewed Monday, are the only members of the staff who are candidates for the job. The Steelers also interviewed Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. They will interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin today, perhaps the fourth and final candidate for the job. The club could name a head coach to succeed Bill Cowher before the end of the week.

"I was honored to have the opportunity and excited to be included in this group," Whisenhunt said yesterday after his three-hour interview with the Steelers.

Whisenhunt and Grimm also are candidates for the head-coaching job with the Arizona Cardinals, where Grimm interviewed yesterday. Whisenhunt also is a candidate in Miami.

"The organization, as I see it, is making all the right moves, and has one more to make," Grimm told the media in Arizona after his interview with the Cardinals. "We're still going to talk a little bit and take it from there."

Every assistant on the Steelers' coaching staff is under contract through the 2007 season. That means none can leave without the Steelers' permission unless it is to become a head coach elsewhere. Under previous NFL rules, a position coach could go to another team if it was for a promotion. The league has since abolished those rules; now an assistant can leave voluntarily only for three reasons: If his contract is up, if he receives permission from his team, or for a head-coaching job in the NFL.

The media is really hyping up Grimm and Whiz here lately which we all expected of course since they've been with us for awhile now and both of them enjoy being here.

There could be more coaches gone soon, like Coughlin of the giants for example so it would behoove us to make a decision as quickly as possible once we know who we want.

Koopa
01-10-2007, 01:37 AM
watch all this hype over these two, and then wednesday they hire tomlin lol

Steelersfan
01-10-2007, 01:38 AM
I figure we will know by the weekend who it will be. I don't see the team taking a chance on losing the guy they want to another team.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2007, 01:48 AM
watch all this hype over these two, and then wednesday they hire tomlin lol

or Rivera :lol: Would just go to show how little we know or think we know about who they'll pick :lol:

Koopa
01-10-2007, 02:04 AM
naw they won't hire rivera, they are a gonna keep the hispanics down lol

Koopa
01-10-2007, 02:09 AM
i read on real gm that the interview lasted 3 hours

anyone know how long it lasted with grimm??

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiretap_archives/3746/20070110

House of Steel
01-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the link, Koopa, it is looking to me like, Whiz is going to get this locked up.

AZ_Steeler
01-10-2007, 11:02 AM
It good to hear that both coaches want to stay regardless if one of them is hired as the new head coach. The loyalty to the Steelers organization really comes out during these times... Hopefully Cowher follows suit next year ;)

rainman
01-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I think Whisenhunt has got it too. He would be the obvious choice to me.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Im not sure how many hours Grimm's interview lasted but I can't imagine it was much shorter than what Ken's interview was.

I still think he may have a real chance to get it because he's already the assistant head coach as it is.

BBG7
01-10-2007, 02:00 PM
I heard on KDKA Tomlin's interview was also 3 hours. I'm sure the others were similar

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
I would think they have a pretty good idea of who the front runners are to this point. The disadvantage we're in is that there is alot of talent still in the playoffs that we really can't touch right now but fortunately there are alot of good ones in house and available for us to choose from. With the draft happening so quickly after the season there isn't much time to screw around. WE have to find our guy and pull the trigger.

BBG7
01-10-2007, 03:36 PM
From what they were reporting earlier on KDKA, they beleive the interviews are done and we could know by the end of the week who our coach will be.

Koopa
01-10-2007, 03:53 PM
**** the end of the week announce right now you old *** rooney mothersucker lol

BBG7
01-10-2007, 03:56 PM
**** the end of the week announce right now you old *** rooney mothersucker lol

lol...just have a little patience koopa :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blitzburgh55
01-10-2007, 03:58 PM
I want Wiz i think that is who the will hire

House of Steel
01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Patience is not in Koopa's vocabulary nor in his body input. Trust me.

BBG7
01-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I want the Whiz too...but something is telling me it will be Grimm

Koopa
01-10-2007, 05:10 PM
**** grimm, that old *** mother****er is gonna die soon

BBG7
01-10-2007, 05:12 PM
lol...oh koopa, I wish you would share your opinion and tell us what you really think...lol!!!

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-10-2007, 05:24 PM
I heard on KDKA Tomlin's interview was also 3 hours. I'm sure the others were similar

Three to Four hours is the usual amount of time for a coaching interview in the NFL.