PDA

View Full Version : Steelers not going after Nnamdi Asomugha

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2011, 05:10 PM
According to the National Football Post:
(http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Steelers-not-going-after-Asomugha.html)
The Pittsburgh Steelers aren't planning to pursue (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110182) Oakland Raiders free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has comnfirmed.

Asomugha is the top free agent available regardless of position.

And the Steelers are more likely to re-sign cornerback Ike Taylor than go after Asomugha.
Asomugha's $45.3 million contract has voided due to him not reaching certain playing time and performance level clauses in his deal.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2011, 05:11 PM
If this holds true then Ike Taylor can pretty much be handed a blank check and fill in the numbers accordingly. We've seen things like this before, and something ends up happening days or weeks later and a player shows up on the roster. However in this case I don't know that the Steelers ever even considered a move like bringing in Nnamdi; the price tag would be too steep for a free agent.

Rampage
06-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Not surprising. I wouldn't expect them to make a splash in free agency until some bigger names leave/retire.

K Train
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
that would make the defense just unfair anyway

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Any fan who really sat down and thought about it knew the Steelers were never going to seriously spend 40+ million on a free agent anyway. I agree though K train, it would be a sick unit with Ike and Nnamdi back there..dayum!!!

Real Deal Steel
06-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Wasn't Ike Taylor here last year? And he was getting torched up with the other guys wasn't he? Sorry,...but the truth is that the secondary needs to be upgraded or every team we play will pass on every down.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-09-2011, 02:02 AM
I never thought for one minute that the Steelers were going to sign Nnamdi Asomugha and I thought all the talk from some of our fans was just plain silly.......It would be nice but its just not the Steelers way....I think they will resign Ike and wouldn't be shocked if they signed a 2nd tier FA corner......

LatrobePA
06-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Not a shocker at all...

connecticutsteel
06-09-2011, 10:34 AM
I know i mentioned Asomugha before but i was hoping never really serious i think Carnell will whip what we have into a contender we will be fine next year

DanRooney
06-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Sign Carlos Rogers. Ike and Rogers lined up opposite of each other with Brown in the slot and Butler in dime would be a nice backfield.

coldrolled
06-09-2011, 01:36 PM
that would make the defense just unfair anyway

they had some highlights of nmadi on nfl, he is worth it..

troy, nmadi and ike would be a SuperBowl win this year.

steelersbabex25
06-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Wasn't Ike Taylor here last year? And he was getting torched up with the other guys wasn't he? Sorry,...but the truth is that the secondary needs to be upgraded or every team we play will pass on every down.

I can count on one hand the times that Ike got torched when it wasn't the fault of someone else in the secondary.

K Train
06-09-2011, 02:52 PM
ryan clark got torched, mcfadden was solid but gave up a lot of catches, and gay only really got raped in 2 games...pats and bengals, covering gronk and TO.

ike was quietly really good

DanRooney
06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
gay only really got raped in 2 games...pats and bengals, covering gronk and TO.

I guess you forgot about Jordy Nelson in the SB.

He is absolutely terrible in coverage.

K Train
06-09-2011, 04:53 PM
I guess you forgot about Jordy Nelson in the SB.

He is absolutely terrible in coverage.

yes, i was shitfaced hammered during the superbowl lol

hes not the worst though, he definitely doesnt belong on the outside though

Real Deal Steel
06-11-2011, 01:12 AM
Ike Taylor was here last year and we were exposed. Just resigning Taylor isn't enough. And anyone here thinking different is pipe dreaming. The other outside corner position needs upgrading.

Resigning Ike and then getting Ashumuga would give us a clear path to win the AFC again. It's worth the investment to go after him.

We went out the norm and got Jerome Bettis. That worked out fine didn't it?

We are so close to winning it all and Ashumuga can get us there.

Stlrs4Life
06-11-2011, 10:12 PM
ryan clark got torched, mcfadden was solid but gave up a lot of catches, and gay only really got raped in 2 games...pats and bengals, covering gronk and TO.

ike was quietly really good

I agree with Ike. But Gay got burned all season. I don't think Gay could cover my grandmother.

connecticutsteel
06-12-2011, 12:42 AM
i figured we wouldn't really get him

Real Deal Steel
06-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Let's put it this way, we resign Ike. What is to stop teams from just airing it out on us on every down?

connecticutsteel
06-13-2011, 02:08 AM
Sign Carlos Rogers. Ike and Rogers lined up opposite of each other with Brown in the slot and Butler in dime would be a nice backfield.

I LIKE THIS SET UP !

SteelCityKid5
06-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Bummer but, saw it coming

Real Deal Steel
06-17-2011, 01:37 AM
If Taylor trys to take us to the bank, then we might as well give Ashumuga a look.