PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a head coach, let the players do interviews. At least Arizona is

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-09-2007, 11:45 PM
What a complete clusterfudge.

RAISING ARIZONA

Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, wide receiver Anquan Boldin, defensive tackle Darnell Dockett and safety Adrian Wilson contributed as much as they could to Arizona during the season.

But they have been entrusted with the role of making even more important contributions during the offseason.

Each of the four players has been asked to interview the head-coaching candidates that have visited Arizona over the past week. The Cardinals want the players to conduct their own line of questioning and report back to ownership, which has formed its own impressions during its own interviews.

Monday, the Arizona players spent time interviewing Tenneessee offensive coordinator Norm Chow, who also met with Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart. On Tuesday, the Cardinals players and ownership group are expected to interview Steelers assistant head coach Russ Grimm.

It has created extra rounds of talks for the candidates, but the Cardinals want to do everything they can to come up with the best possible hire.

House of Steel
01-09-2007, 11:48 PM
If that isn't the biggest bullshit hiring process I've ever heard. The Cardinals hit an all time low. THEY HIT ROCK BOTTOM!!!

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I already feel sorry Grimm.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-09-2007, 11:50 PM
To me it sounds almost as the prisoners are running the prison. I think the players input is important but to interview potential HC's is a bit much. I'm sure the Rooney's would listen to players like Hines Ward and other respected vets on the team but I don't think the Rooney's would let the players conduct interviews.

Ambridge
01-10-2007, 06:37 AM
If that isn't the biggest bullshit hiring process I've ever heard. The Cardinals hit an all time low. THEY HIT ROCK BOTTOM!!!

You said a mouthful right there.

Arizona owner Bill Bidwell should be ashamed of himself and if I were Russ Grimm and seen I had to do an interview with the "Four Stooges" I'd first laugh in their faces and then just head to the airport.

House of Steel
01-10-2007, 10:50 AM
You know Ambridge, if I walked into the room and saw this happening, I would of turned around walked straight out of the complex and on my way to the airport. When I was on my flight, I would call owner Bidwell and say, you got to ****ing kidding me to have the players do the interview, ARE YOU INSANE or having a mid-life crisis?

AZ_Steeler
01-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I think it's actually kind of good because if the FO hires some loon that the players aren't going to like then the team is no better off than they were before. This way if the players all agree on somebody and the FO goes with that team and they still suck, then they have nobody to blame but the players becaue it's who they chose...

Ambridge
01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I think it's actually kind of good because if the FO hires some loon that the players aren't going to like then the team is no better off than they were before. This way if the players all agree on somebody and the FO goes with that team and they still suck, then they have nobody to blame but the players becaue it's who they chose...

No offense......but that sounds like letting the inmates run the asylum.
I would think any self respecting coaching candidate would be offended if they didn't have an interview with the teams owner and general manager.

AZ_Steeler
01-10-2007, 01:00 PM
The FO is also interviewing these guys as well and has formed their own opinions too, they are just asking the players for their opinions as well

The Cardinals want the players to conduct their own line of questioning and report back to ownership, which has formed its own impressions during its own interviews.

The coaches are being interviewed by the FO and the players.. just not the players.

Ambridge
01-10-2007, 01:09 PM
The FO is also interviewing these guys as well and has formed their own opinions too, they are just asking the players for their opinions as well

The coaches are being interviewed by the FO and the players.. just not the players.

OK!! Then that's not quite as bad as long as the FO is involved but IMO asking for player input and involvement in coaching and personnel matters is equal to opening Pandora's Box.
I would think they would tend to judge more on a popularity contest rather than trying evaluate talent.:redcool:

Steelersfan
01-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if the guy these four pick turns around and cuts them!....lol

BBG7
01-10-2007, 02:21 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if the guy these four pick turns around and cuts them!....lol

that would be funny!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2007, 02:44 PM
That's alot of stress and extra time put on the candidates. I would think they should do it all as a group. You know let the FO interview the candidate then send in the players as a group and let them ask him questions. Sending them all in 1 at a time or something would just be a huge pain in the azz for everybody.

I think it's it a good idea to have some of your key players input, but it's a fine line to walk.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-10-2007, 02:45 PM
That's alot of stress and extra time put on the candidates. I would think they should do it all as a group. You know let the FO interview the candidate then send in the players as a group and let them ask him questions. Sending them all in 1 at a time or something would just be a huge pain in the azz for everybody.

I think it's it a good idea to have some of your key players input, but it's a fine line to walk.

I agree Matt. You want your players input but letting them conduct interviews is bit much and isn't really smart.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I can't see the Rooney's going about this in this manner ever. Im sure they talk to some of they key players in private to get their thoughts and gauge their responses to potential candidates but as an FO you need to have the pulse of your team and know where to draw the line.

You can't please eveybody on your team so inevitably there's going to be some conflict; but that's just another reason the Cards have sucked for so long, no leadership.

BBG7
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey if they are using players...maybe the Steelers should let SA interview our potential coaches!!! LOL

House of Steel
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
You guys would hire me, right!!! :greengrin:

Here is the team I would put together:

Head Coach: Myself
Offensive Coordinator/ Asst. Head Coach: Steelersfan
Defensive Coordinator: Top Gun
Quarterback Coach: Philly
Offensive Line Coach: Koopa (He would get on their asses for it too.)
Defensive Line Coach: AZ_Steeler
Running Back Coach: If it was my way, Jerome Bettis, but otherwise, Blitzburgh55
Waterboy/Ballboy: Captcoolhand
Trainers: BBG7, FloodcityGirl, Mrs.Steelerfan
Wide Recievers Coach: K-Train

AZ_Steeler
01-10-2007, 03:45 PM
I don't think she said "hire someone from SA" she said let members of SA interview the new candidates... :bitchslap:

BBG7
01-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Hey I'll take HoS idea!!!! I would love to work with the Steelers. lol

House of Steel
01-10-2007, 03:51 PM
You know something, Chris, I could do the damn job. I am Cowher like.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-10-2007, 03:56 PM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/az/Bbidwellaz.JPG

As pround owner of the Arizona Cardinals. I like to annouce that we have after careful consideration with our players have hired the next coach of your arizona cardinals. Please give a warm welcome to the Cardinals family.

http://wirelessdigest.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/elmo.jpg

House of Steel
01-10-2007, 04:02 PM
This is the post of the year, so far. :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: