PDA

View Full Version : NFL making plans for potentially an 8 game season

BlitzburghRockCity
06-06-2011, 03:25 PM
NFL readies plans for season as short as 8 games (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/06/06/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NFL-season.aspx)

By Daniel Kaplan (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Featured-Authors/Daniel-Kaplan.aspx), Staff Writer
Published June 6, 2011, Page 1

The NFL is considering season lengths for 2011 as short as eight regular-season games, half its normal number, as the league plans for the possibility of an abbreviated season because of the nearly three-month-long lockout, sources said. An eight-game season could start in late November...

I think we all knew this was something the NFL was preparing for just in case. There is still plenty of time to work this out but the clock is ticking as training camps would normally start near the end of July.

What do you all think about the option of playing an 8 game season?

An 8 game season would be better than nothing but the potential playoff teams could be something nobody would ever expect. Or it could be something where only the veteran, top teams, even have a prayer of making it in because the young teams don't have a chance to develop their players like they normally would.

DanRooney
06-06-2011, 03:29 PM
It would be absolutely stupid and make no sense.

K Train
06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
sounds like my worst nightmare

pimplydan
06-06-2011, 04:19 PM
It would be absolutely stupid and make no sense.

8 game season is better than no football at all , but you cannot play the playoffs for the superbowl .

Have to make up another trophy name , prehaps the strike bowl .

No , it really doesnt make any sense at all .

By the way DanRooney , that was one hell of a play by Polamalu in your avitar ,
Troy is the only person that can make that play humanly possible .

mos07
06-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I live in Columbus, OH......with the Ohio St drama and no NFL til mid November, what the @#$%! This whole thing sucks! Maybe the PIRATES can make a magical run...........

At least it is fun watching Cleveland fans suffer as LeBron & Co. move closer to a title....

Come on, get this deal done!!!!!

steelersbabex25
06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9498/facepalmew.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/facepalmew.jpg/)

Lunchbucket
06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
sounds like my worst nightmare

32teams,8 games,..........how many 8-0,7-1,6-2,5-3,4-4 teams will make the playoffs?Sounds pretty goofy to me.:banging::willybs:Strenth of schedule would definately give some teams a better "poker hand" to make an easy ride to the playoffs.A good team could play 8 weaker teams and just mail it in. It's the Smuck Bowl

Root4Stlrs
06-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Ditto to everything everyone else has said. How would this even be possible? The playoffs would be longer than the irregular regular season. This whole thing is beginning to be absurd.

steeldoc
06-07-2011, 12:09 AM
If this happens everyone should just stay home.:exhausted:

Phenomenal TJ
06-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Why not just make it a six game season if you're going to go that far? Have everyone play within their division twice per team and roll with that.

LarryNJ
06-07-2011, 06:27 AM
If they can't play at least 12 games I say cancel the season. An 8 game season is a waste.

connecticutsteel
06-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Im absolutely convinced that the people running the nfl are idiots

Rampage
06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Eight games? Yeah, that would be exciting.

K Train
06-07-2011, 12:15 PM
id honestly rather wait a full year, have 2 classes of rookies, and if we have to wait so long just have the players and owners pockets take significant blows for ****ing us all over

BlitzburghRockCity
06-07-2011, 02:47 PM
I would much rather see 12 games, atleast then you can get close to a full season in. If you need to get rid of preseason games to do so then so be it. At this point I'd rather still be able to have some type of training camp and then hit the regular season running if it comes down to it.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-07-2011, 02:49 PM
If any regular season games are missed then I'm done with it....Only will have interest in the NFL from a fantasy/betting stand point since I can make money from those things.......

cmerrifield
06-07-2011, 02:50 PM
If they dont play a full season, I am done with football for a while. If the owners and players cannot figure out how to spit an average of 350 million a team, then I will make sure they get no more money from me. I have some friends who feel the same way. If they dont have a full season, they wont touch 9 billion in revenue for a long time again.

steelersbabex25
06-07-2011, 04:10 PM
If they dont play a full season, I am done with football for a while. If the owners and players cannot figure out how to spit an average of 350 million a team, then I will make sure they get no more money from me. I have some friends who feel the same way. If they dont have a full season, they wont touch 9 billion in revenue for a long time again.

That's kinda what's confusing me also. The NFL and everything that it stands for is obviously all about making money. Do any of them down there realize that they're pissing off all the fans that BUY merchandise from the NFL? If a lot of us on here have already vowed not to support the NFL (monetarily wise) then I bet that's the general consensus of most football fans. The people making these decision can not be dumb enough not to realize that.

K Train
06-07-2011, 04:17 PM
lies on the "done with football" people....you will all be so jacked up when it does start back up you wont be able to get enough

steelersbabex25
06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
lies on the "done with football" people....you will all be so jacked up when it does start back up you wont be able to get enough

I'm not done with football at all. Psh, I am praying to God for a full season. But if the NFL keeps up this bullsh*t with the 8 game season and all the annoying rule changes and all around selfishness, I definitely won't be buying any new jerseys or tee shirts (hey, I have enough to begin with.)

Phenomenal TJ
06-07-2011, 04:42 PM
The NFL will never have a shortage of fans. They know that, we know that, the fans are in a no-win situation.

steelersbabex25
06-07-2011, 05:11 PM
The NFL will never have a shortage of fans. They know that, we know that, the fans are in a no-win situation.

I never said I would stop being a fan. I said I would stop giving money to the NFL. Giving money implies that I support them and what they're doing..and I don't.

SteelDad
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Im absolutely convinced that the people running the nfl are idiots

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!! :clap:

BlitzburghRockCity
06-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately the NFL knows their fans will come back. They can talk all they want about caring about the fans, doing what's best for the fans, blah blah blah. The fact is that Football could be gone for 2011 and they would still have the biggest sports fan base in the world.

We are a species that love our sport so much that we will put up with just about anything to be able to watch our team. We will gripe, complain, voice our frustration, threaten to not watch, or whatever but in the end we will be back supporting our team on Sunday afternoons. They know it... :evilshake:

SteelDad
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Unfortunately the NFL knows their fans will come back. They can talk all they want about caring about the fans, doing what's best for the fans, blah blah blah. The fact is that Football could be gone for 2011 and they would still have the biggest sports fan base in the world.

We are a species that love our sport so much that we will put up with just about anything to be able to watch our team. We will gripe, complain, voice our frustration, threaten to not watch, or whatever but in the end we will be back supporting our team on Sunday afternoons. They know it... :evilshake:

It's the truth and I can't handle the truth!
http://s1.hubimg.com/u/557184_f260.jpg

Callax
06-08-2011, 03:24 PM
This will be like the 1982 season... pitt went 6-3 lost to SD in Pitt and would have beaten the Bungles in Cinn and lost to SF but it would have been a better game

Real Deal Steel
06-09-2011, 01:03 AM
With only eight games, I'll skip fantasy football and real football watching. Because any so called "Champion " will be as bogus as the season itself.

Phenomenal TJ
06-09-2011, 02:14 AM
I never said I would stop being a fan. I said I would stop giving money to the NFL. Giving money implies that I support them and what they're doing..and I don't.

Watching them, reading about them, etc. all technically supports them as well, though. As long as the name is in the news (and it will ALWAYS be in the news) they can and will make money, with virtually no effort.

I'm fed up with this as well, completely, 100% fed up. But, shoot. I'll be so excited for the season, even if it's shortened. Sure, it'll leave a bad taste in my mouth for a minute, but meh. I'll get over it.

steelersbabex25
06-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Watching them, reading about them, etc. all technically supports them as well, though. As long as the name is in the news (and it will ALWAYS be in the news) they can and will make money, with virtually no effort.

I'm fed up with this as well, completely, 100% fed up. But, shoot. I'll be so excited for the season, even if it's shortened. Sure, it'll leave a bad taste in my mouth for a minute, but meh. I'll get over it.

Them being in the magazines or on TV is nothing that I have any control over. Whether or not I buy products for them, that's something that I can control.