PDA

View Full Version : How many more years does Casey Hampton have left?

BlitzburghRockCity
06-01-2011, 01:19 PM
The dude is still playing at a high level right now but if he makes it another 2 years I'll be happy. Next draft I think it's extremely important that Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin really look at drafting a top flight NT to step in for Casey in 2012 or 2013. The 34 defense doesn't work without a Casey Hampton type player on the field.

Ideally you draft one for the 2012 season and let him work his way into the rotation and then take over the following year.

K Train
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
he had a heroic surge late in his career when i thought he was done for....but hes really not playing at a high level anymore, he is a 1 or 2 down player. 1 maybe 2 years

andyg1984
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
no elite NT's in this years draft that I know of .. we screwed up not drafting Cody imo in '10

K Train
06-01-2011, 01:40 PM
i think we screwed up not taking powe in the 6th

Rampage
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I could see two more years, but any more than that is a stretch.

Callax
06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
That position takes alot of pounding..... He's got 2 years at a high level, then he'll start having a big drop in effective play

We will need another stud in the middle to make the DL work well...

connecticutsteel
06-01-2011, 11:16 PM
powe was on my mock but i'm glad we didn't take him he couldn't learn the defense in a hundred years he has learning disabilities and dislexia now i'm l.d too so before everyone thinks im out of line i battle learning disabilities everyday of my life i think Hamp will make it 3 more years but we do need to draft the Aussie from Alabama next year plus Powe has weight issues like hampton but they are not the same person so i do think weight will be an issue for Powe he is also 26 yrs old
hampton's possible replacements
Alameda Ta'amu 6'3" 330 5.4 40
jesse williams 6' 4" 325 4.9 40(dubbed the second coming of terrence cody)
De'angelo Mc'cray6' 4" 325 5.4 40

K Train
06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
powe is dumb, no doubt....but there isnt an easier position to learn than NT. the learning disabilities are way overblown

connecticutsteel
06-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Powe is gone hopefully we can get Jesse Williams he as far as i can tell has no issues

BlitzburghRockCity
06-06-2011, 02:11 PM
I will say Tomlin has done a pretty good job so far of infuzing youth in the aging defense, guys like Timmons, Woodley, Hood, and newcomers like Heyward and Brown. It's not an easy process transitioning from older veterans into younger players and it's obvious that he is willing to take that process as slowly as necessary. Fortunately for the most part the vets are holding up pretty well each year with the exception of Smith and Polamalu. Zood should assume full command of Smith's spot and run with it. Troy's position though, one wonders how much longer they'll wait to address that in the draft.

As far as Casey goes, you just don't get anymore rock solid than the big snack. When he's in the game he's money.

K Train
06-06-2011, 02:14 PM
i just dont think his late career surge should be confused with playing like he did in his prime...when he is on the field and fresh he does everything hes supposed to do, the problem is he wears down 10x faster now and doenst rumble downhill much anymore.

love casey, always have....but his time is running out, i could see him signing a deal with someone who runs a 43 with a mean rotation to give him less snaps and less responsibility but as a fulltime 34 NT those days are long gone

andyg1984
06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
do you foresee more sets with hood in at nose? tbh i really would not be surprised to see Kiesel, Heyward and Hood on the field in "passing situations" (excluding aaron smith on purpose)

K Train
06-07-2011, 10:27 AM
hood played his best lined up at NT, he held his ground and didnt revert back to his tendencies to not play with power at DE, but rather try to get the edge and look like an OLB. lined up over center he locks on and out works the blockers....i actually think he could be a hell of a NT if he added 15-20 more pounds (his frame may actually be maxed out, he did work on it big time in college making his body mass just multiply) he wouldnt be a traditional NT in our defense but he could certainly provide an interior attacking force from the position and he can definitely hold his own one on one vs a center (cant always say the same when he plays DE though, hes madly inconsitent)

BlitzburghRockCity
06-08-2011, 09:31 AM
He said the week before the super bowl last year that he's not getting any younger, he can't play as many snaps consistently like he used too. He knows he's entering the twilight of his career, that's why winning the big game last year was so important to him. He hasn't mentioned retirement since then that I know of, I think he wants another shot at it before hanging it up and he'll hang on for about 2 years before finally calling it quits.

nuclearchihuahuas
06-11-2011, 08:42 PM

AGREED!

Stlrs4Life
06-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I give him 2 seasons.

Real Deal Steel
06-13-2011, 12:38 AM

You might be right. And in my mind there is little doubt that powe would make the team too.