PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clarks says the rest is good for the Steelers

BlitzburghRockCity
05-28-2011, 05:27 PM
From Ed Bouchette: (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110046)

Good morning,
The Steelers are not holding any minicamps or organized workouts the way some teams have been doing. The extent of anything organized was Ben Roethlisberger throwing to some of his receivers. The quarterback also maintained a silence about it because he did not want it to become a big deal.

The Steelers defense has no organized workouts. Most players have been working out on their own or with a few teammates. Ike Taylor, James Farrior, William Gay and others are working with Tom Shaw in Orlando, Fla. The past week, that group traveled to Atlanta to work with another instructor’s group of players there.

Safety Ryan Clark said Roethlisberger’s “workouts are good for receiver/quarterback timing, but if you can’t get a whole gang together, there’s definitely not much you can do there that you can’t do on your own. There will never be OTAs, minicamp, but it’s good to get the guys together and work.
“It’s tough for us on defense. I don’t know any DBs other than myself and Ryan Mundy who stay in this area. Asking guys who don’t live here, to come up, get housing and all that, it’s a tough sell.

“If you look at most teams, offensive players get together to work on timing and a few things here and there. I saw that the Ravens actually ran routes for 30 minutes the other day. It’s mostly offensive guys getting together and doing it.”

As I’ve written, the lockout could help a team like the Steelers competitively.
“The good thing for us,’’ Clark said, “is there are no spring chickens on defense. This time’s been good for healing of your bodies. The mental part? We know how to play football. We know how to run cover 3. That dog blitz will still be deadly. We’ll be fine.”

BlitzburghRockCity
05-28-2011, 05:31 PM
He makes a good point about so many players not staying in the Pittsburgh area during the offseason. With the lockout going on even the guys making a ton of money aren't ready to start blowing tons of money for hotels or apartments while they work out during the offseason. On the flip side, if this were OTA's, many of those players would be back in Pittsburgh anyways right now.

Still though it would be nice for the guys on offense at least, I think to maybe take on a once a month workout say maybe lasting for a week or so at a time. Just to get together, hang out, and stay ready to go.

I can see either side of it honestly, the defense is a veteran group, they already know the ins and outs of their jobs. The offense has a lot more young guys, so the more they can do together the better.

Callax
05-28-2011, 08:15 PM
I hope this time off heals thier bodies, but strengthens their minds and readies them for the season when it comes time to put on their helmets

Real Deal Steel
05-30-2011, 03:02 PM
He makes a good point about so many players not staying in the Pittsburgh area during the offseason. With the lockout going on even the guys making a ton of money aren't ready to start blowing tons of money for hotels or apartments while they work out during the offseason. On the flip side, if this were OTA's, many of those players would be back in Pittsburgh anyways right now.

Still though it would be nice for the guys on offense at least, I think to maybe take on a once a month workout say maybe lasting for a week or so at a time. Just to get together, hang out, and stay ready to go.

I can see either side of it honestly, the defense is a veteran group, they already know the ins and outs of their jobs. The offense has a lot more young guys, so the more they can do together the better.

Yeah but the problem is we need Heyward and the new O-lineman to jell and get chemistry. And that takes practices! Maybe because of this, the FO may decide to add a vet at both those positions in free agency. I know they don't normally do that but this isn't a normal season coming up. And the teams with the most chemistry and stability from last season, are the teams that will make the playoffs.

But then again, we need to resign our free agents. Man..this is going to be a weird year.

igor0190
05-31-2011, 01:15 AM
The Steelers season was longer than everyone else... The extra time/rest is more of a benefit to the Steelers than any other team. Avoid the superbowl hangover or whatever they call it.

Real Deal Steel
05-31-2011, 01:52 AM
The Steelers season was longer than everyone else... The extra time/rest is more of a benefit to the Steelers than any other team. Avoid the superbowl hangover or whatever they call it.

True. I like the fact it's going to give Troy a chance to be a solid 100%. I still feel that the Packers didn't see our real secondary because Troy was nowhere near 100%.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah but the problem is we need Heyward and the new O-lineman to jell and get chemistry. And that takes practices! Maybe because of this, the FO may decide to add a vet at both those positions in free agency. I know they don't normally do that but this isn't a normal season coming up. And the teams with the most chemistry and stability from last season, are the teams that will make the playoffs.

But then again, we need to resign our free agents. Man..this is going to be a weird year.

It's going to be interesting to see how teams compensate for the limited workouts with additional personnel coming to camp this year. Will they try and add more veterans because they don't have time to get an adequate look at the young players? Or will they take a chance on a borderline guy to see if he pans out? How will that affect 2012 then as well? Will there be a ton of available quality prospects out there who sat on practice squads or didn't get signed at all?

For teams like the Steelers, I have to think they will be more willing to take a chance on the younger guy over an available veteran because they have such an experienced group. You are right though, this years rookies are under the gun as it is but now it's even more. Every week that goes by is taking time away from them learning the playbook, meetings, and valuable practice time with coaches and teammates.