PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers need to be more dominant in 2011

Clevelandsux
05-28-2011, 02:01 PM
I've watched some of last years games. We need to be more dominant. Put teams away. Seems like every game, we'd get a lead let the other team comeback, then have our defense make a play to win it. Ok formula. But I think part of the reason we didn't win it all last year.

Last year we were 2009, but with better results.

Real Deal Steel
05-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Can't be dominant when Goodall and his croonies are working hard to change the NFL into Arena football.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-28-2011, 02:45 PM
It's been the achilles heal for far too long, when they get a lead they rarely put the petal to the medal. It's the same problem the Cowher era teams had, once the lead is "secured" they go into clock eating mode and slow down. That's fine when it's 2 minutes to go and you're up by 21 points. When it's the middle of the 3rd quarter and you're up by 10 points, that is NOT the time to play it safe.

steelersbabex25
05-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah that's always been a problem. They needed to be more dominant in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007..you get the picture.

DBR96A
05-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Timeline for when it's generally safe to take your foot off the gas

Ahead by 1-8 points: When the team has the ball and is able to run out all time remaining
Ahead by 9-16 points: With less than four minutes left in the game
Ahead by 17-24 points: With less than six minutes left in the game
Ahead by 25-32 points: Halfway through the fourth quarter
Ahead by 33+ points: At no point before the start of the fourth quarter

Callax
05-28-2011, 08:17 PM
I believe the pass defense, if better than 10th in the league, will have no problem with putting teams away!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
05-29-2011, 02:08 AM
Timeline for when it's generally safe to take your foot off the gas

Ahead by 1-8 points: When the team has the ball and is able to run out all time remaining
Ahead by 9-16 points: With less than four minutes left in the game
Ahead by 17-24 points: With less than six minutes left in the game
Ahead by 25-32 points: Halfway through the fourth quarter
Ahead by 33+ points: At no point before the start of the fourth quarter

Can you share that with the Steelers coaching staff? They might find it helpful..LOL.

I would say on the 2nd one, I want to be up by 10-16 points so it's a 2 score game just to tie though.

connecticutsteel
05-29-2011, 12:49 PM
We can put teams away if we run the no huddle offense the whole game

pimplydan
05-29-2011, 12:54 PM
I believe the pass defense, if better than 10th in the league, will have no problem with putting teams away!!!

You hit the nail in the head , pass defense is the reason teams do come back late in the games .

Now the steelers are working on the fixes .Pass rush and corner help , they addressed those 2 positions in the draft .

Now we just have to wait and see if the players chosen can come up and make an impact .

JensK
05-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Couldn't help but chuckle a little about this one. The Steelers need to be more dominant in 2011... No kidding? Every year you don't win the Superbowl you'll have to be more dominant than the year before. The 18-1 Patriots had to be more dominant the year later etc. etc. I get the intention of the topic, but it seems like it is pretty obvious really.

Now why we're not able to put games away is a much more interesting debate as several factors seems to be at play. The first and obvious one is the lackluster secondary of the Steelers. Teams generally do great against us when they go to the shotgun with a 4-5 wideout set. We simply don't have the sufficient players to cover it as it is. There is no passrush good enough to beat a QB if he can throw the ball on slants every time. Another thing is our very poor running game in the fourth quarter. Mendenhall was amazing last year in many situations, yet our running game as a whole sucked when we really needed to put a game away. 3 and outs on a consistent basis. Obviously the o-line was plagued by injuries and that is partly to blame, but also the less than average playcalling of Arians should be mentioned.

Lastly, I do believe that Lebeau is worth mentioning. He simply have not found a solution to beat the new mentality of the NFL yet. Sure, Steelers stop the run like no one! That is great and all, but teams don't run the ball anymore. Pass first league and so on. We've all heard the terms before, but we have yet to see a solution from the Steelers. Why are we winning then? Obviously, I am making our defense look worse than they are. When everything is clicking, Steelers have the best defense in the league, period. We also have Big Ben and a very potent air-attack and we have a vet. group whose been there and done that.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-30-2011, 11:35 AM
The main reason, IMO atleast, the problem we have with stopping the pass is not a design flaw by Lebeau but a lack of top talent at Cornerback and the inability of Polamalu to stay healthy. You can't stop the pass, even with a good pass rush, when you have 1 a CB and NB that can't cover anyone and a pro bowl Safety who's always hurt.

JensK
05-30-2011, 12:25 PM
The main reason, IMO atleast, the problem we have with stopping the pass is not a design flaw by Lebeau but a lack of top talent at Cornerback and the inability of Polamalu to stay healthy. You can't stop the pass, even with a good pass rush, when you have 1 a CB and NB that can't cover anyone and a pro bowl Safety who's always hurt.

I don't really think a scheme works if it is so reliable on one player (read: Polamalu). Obviously, the talent at CB is quite bad, but the system does not really help them out a whole lot either. If we had 2 really good CBs and another fast safety who could cover, the system obviously would work much better. The thing is, we don't at the moment and we are suffering from it.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Hopefully guys like Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen can help change that. We've got a wide open competition coming up this camp to see who is going to step up. Polamalu is such a game changer that nobody in the league, certainly not on our team now, can do what he does when he's healthy. You become reliant on guys like him almost by default so when they are gone you miss them even more.

Lebeau's defense calls for the CB's to play off a lot in order to keep everything in front of them and prevent the big play. Basically their philosophy is that you can't drive consistently drive down the field for 10,12, 14 plays and score. It drives me nuts many times too I admit but the lack of talent at CB is such a glaring weakness is something you just can't overcome until you have better talent. Hopefully this year that will be the case.

Farrior Fan
05-31-2011, 12:21 AM
I think you will get full agreement from everyone here that our CBs are to blame for allowing almost any team to score 14 quick pts on us. I really wish we had someone at S besides R. Clark also. Clark seemed like such a non factor last year when we needed him to step up. Obviously Gay is our weakest link and hopefully Crezdon can step in and be solid, but most importantly we have to keep Ike. If we have to start 2 untested CBs week 1 it could be a very long season.

Real Deal Steel
05-31-2011, 01:56 AM
There is little arguement that we could use some depth at the safety position.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-31-2011, 12:58 PM
One thing the Steelers are going to have to prepare for in the not so distant future is having to draft a top Safety to replace Troy. He is in a similar position as Casey Hampton. Neither are getting any younger now and those are 2 positions that you can't have sub par play at or the 34 defense just doesn't work.

Rampage
05-31-2011, 01:25 PM
I definitely think this team needs to be more opportunistic. Smarter play calling on offense to take what you can get instead of forcing specific plays on the defense would be my biggest focus.