PDA

View Full Version : Rank 'em Current Steelers

Zachintosh66
05-19-2011, 10:44 AM
List your top ten current Steelers.... then discuss.

mine:
1. Troy
2. Ben
3. Harrison
4. Pouncey
5. Woodley
6. Hampton
7. Ike
8. Timmons
9. Wallace
10. Mendy

connecticutsteel
05-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Roelisberger
Polamalu
Harrison
Pouncey
Wallace
Woodley
Miller
Ward
Sanders
Hood

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2011, 11:29 AM
What's the criteria that are ranking on. Importance to the team, just our favorite players, importance to the league, etc?

K Train
05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Roethlisberger
Harrison
Pouncey
Polamalu
Timmons
Mendenhall
Taylor
Miller
Wallace
Woodley

aaron smith is hurt too often, keisel too but both are big time studs when they do play. Hood doesnt belong on any list. Troy cant be #1 when he doesnt play, always aggravates injuries, and whiffs too many tackles.

connecticutsteel
05-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I chose Ziggy Hood because if he didnt step up and replace smith we wouldn't have reached the Super Bowl

--- Added 5/19/2011 at 09:37 AM ---

Roethlisberger
Harrison
Pouncey
Polamalu
Timmons
Mendenhall
Taylor
Miller
Wallace
Woodley

aaron smith is hurt too often, keisel too but both are big time studs when they do play. Hood doesnt belong on any list. Troy cant be #1 when he doesnt play, always aggravates injuries, and whiffs too many tackles.
So would you rather have a different safety ?

Black@Gold Forever32
05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Mendenhall could have a case to be in the top five when you consider if he goes down then the Steelers would be screwed at the RB position......Sure Redman is ok for his role.....But how would Redman perform if he was a full time starter?.....Big question there......

K Train
05-19-2011, 01:31 PM
I chose Ziggy Hood because if he didnt step up and replace smith we wouldn't have reached the Super Bowl

--- Added 5/19/2011 at 09:37 AM ---

So would you rather have a different safety ?

troy is an always will be one of the most overrated players in the universe. great player, but has huge holes in his game that get ignored cause he has long hair.

not sure how much longer hes gonna be able to play, he suffers from bob sanders syndrome. hes too small to not play recklessly and that leads to him being hurt all the time.

keisel was so much better than hood any time they were on the field together when smith went down

andyg1984
05-19-2011, 01:46 PM
1. James Harrison - 25 forced fumbles the last 4 years ..

nobody is even close to Harrison imo if we are looking at the last 3-4 years ..

will finish later .. at work

75Steeler
05-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm going to rate mine on a bit of a different scale based on things like playing ability and history with the team.

1. Ward
2. Polamalu
3. Roethlisberger
4. Farrior
5. Clark
6. Hampton
7. Miller
8. Harrison
9. Woodley
10. Smith

:cope:

K Train
05-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm going to rate mine on a bit of a different scale based on things like playing ability and history with the team.

1. Ward
2. Polamalu
3. Roethlisberger
4. Farrior
5. Clark
6. Hampton
7. Miller
8. Harrison
9. Woodley
10. Smith

:cope:

doing it differently is all well and good, but by your reasoning clark has no business on this list at all

BlitzburghRockCity
05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Based on a combination of importance to the team, success in the league, and just generally being a favorite player of mine over the last 5 years lets say.

Ben Roethlisberger: Without him there is no Super Bowl XL or XLIII titles. He was as important to those runs as anybody, if not more so.

Hines Ward: Mr. Dependable. Year in and year out he's been the stabilizing presence on the offense and always comes through.

James Harrison: His intensity and relentless motor make him one of the best linebackers in the modern era, period.

James Farrior: The savy veteran just comes to work everyday and does his job. He is the unquestioned leader of the defense. Even during the time of the Joey Porter era, Farrior was still leader on the field. Porter was the vocal, emotional, powder keg, that fueled their spirt.

Troy Polamalu: He may not be able to stay healthy in recent years but still, when he's on his game there is none better in the league. His big plays are evident all over the highlight reels as recent as last year. Couple that with the fact that we have no one else even close to him so when he's down, he is sorely missed.

Casey Hampton: The big snack has been here for a long time, year in and year he's still labeled as one of the best. His ability to occupy blockers is a big reason the 34 run defense is always one of the best.

Ike Taylor: The only real cornerback this team has had in longer than many can remember. He's grown by leaps and bounds since entering the league and has positioned himself as one of the top free agents available. His ability to play with the best WR's in the game has helped a struggling secondary. Without him we'd be in even more trouble.

Brett Keisel: One of the most underrated defensive lineman in the game. His pass rush and run stopping abilities are unique combination. He's got the size and strength to hold his own against anyone.

Rashard Mendenhall: His performance over the last couple of years has been of ever increasing importance. He is the total package or power, speed, and quickness.

Maurkice Pouncey: I know he's got 1 year of experience but I think we can all agree that his presence on the offensive stablized that unit tremendously. We need only think to who else would have played that position if he were not there. He is the next Dawson, Webster, and Hartings, bar none.

**I struggled with where to put Lamarr Woodley at. You can't deny his big play ability in key games and especially the playoffs. I don't know however, that we wouldn't have been as successful as we have been without him. It's hard to say because the Steelers always keep good talent in reserve at linebacker.

I certainly would not argue putting his name on the list, but I think others have had more of a consistent impact week in and week out. Trust me I love the guy, I was thrilled when he was franchised. Like I said his big play ability is hard to match.

Honorable mentions:

Aaron Smith: The last few years he has not seen the field much but he will go down in history as one of the best Steeler defensive lineman ever and in my opinion the most underrated of the modern era.

Ziggy Hood: He grew tremendously in 2011, stepping in for Aaron Smith is no easy task. He is coming into his own and should be a force going forward.

Max Starks: You might laugh but he has grown into one of better Tackles in the league.

Flozell Adams: Even only being on the team for 1 year, he proved he can still play with the best of them and was a huge asset in 2010.

connecticutsteel
05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
Roethlisberger
Harrison
Pouncey
Polamalu
Timmons
Mendenhall
Taylor
Miller
Wallace
Woodley

really?they overlook the holes in his game because he has long hair now that is laughable and every player has holes in there game you still didnt answer my question would you prefer a different safety ?

K Train
05-19-2011, 04:56 PM
the long hair was a joke but really though at this point he could make pro bowls based on hair and past reputation. very talented football player, but wearing down quickly.

and yeah im getting to be about ready for his replacment..both safety spots are going to quickly become giant needs which is why tate and armstrong are near the top of my potential first rounders next year

pouncey was spectacular at 20 years old and anchored the oline that was in shamble before him AND after him because starks and colon went down and jonathan scott was pretty terrible. He will be a top 2-3 center next year and will only get better from here out...cant knock what he brought to the line after stepping in as a rookie, i dont care if it was one year.

interesting fact: Justin hartwig sat out last season and yet he still leads the league in sacks given up for an interior lineman over the last 3 years...pouncey did big things last year, maybe that will put it in perspective

connecticutsteel
05-19-2011, 05:01 PM
troy was hurt the majority of the season by tied for second in the league in picks and was 7th in tackles with 63 49 solo 14 assisted ironically the leader in tackles isn't that high on anyone's list Timmons 135 96 solo 39 assisted troy had 7 picks the team had a total of 21 that's a third of the teams total

Zachintosh66
05-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Hartwig... I already forgot about him, lol

Blazedby92
05-19-2011, 05:51 PM
1 Ben
2 Pouncey
3 Harrison
4 Hampton
5 Woodley
6 Ike
7 Troy
8 Mendy
9 Miller
10 WR corp as a unit

andyg1984
05-19-2011, 06:34 PM
i think the criteria has to be a combo of three factors - recent performance (within 4 years), value to team (how much does each guy increase our probablity of winning) and then how they rank vs other players in the league at their position ..

Ben increases our chances of winning more than any other player on the roster, but Harrison to me wins out the other two categories over ben

--- Added 5/19/2011 at 04:34 PM ---

k, i understand your thoughts on troy and i agree on his durability, but im thinking he comes back next year at about 85-90% of where he was in the beginning of '10 so that to me says he could be a pro-bowler next year based on talent easily ..

he was VISIBLY not 100% during the postseason .. tough to call that a fair assessment .. his flashes are more than adequate to compensate for the errant torpedos .. BIG TIME

Phenomenal TJ
05-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Troy's about average as far as missed tackles go among safety's in the league. I think Mundy had a better average, but played far less time, Kurt Coleman didn't miss a single tackle, but again played far less than most of the safety's on the list.

It does suck to see him whiff, but he's not at the bottom of the list in terms of safeties missing tackles.

Zachintosh66
05-19-2011, 09:55 PM
wheres this list?

Callax
05-19-2011, 10:04 PM
1 Polamalu
2 Ben
3 Harrison
4 Ward
5 Mendenhall
6 Pouncey
7 Wallace
8 Woodley
9 I Taylor
10 Big Snack Hampton
This is how I think the palyers rank in team importance

greg1964
05-21-2011, 09:32 AM
1. Harrison: The Best 3-4 outside LB in the game

2. Ben: Three Super Bowl in 6 years, without cheating, better record in payoffs than Manning, more win in the same time frame that any other QB.

3. Troy: The Steelers are a different team when he is in the lineup:

4. Hampton: Prototypical NT, clog lanes and make it impossible to run on: Dose what the Steelers require of him.

5. Ward: The best Steelers WR of all time. I wonder what his stats would look like if he didn't have the K.S, K.G or T.M of the world throwing him the ball.

6. Woodley: has the opportunity to go down as one of the best Steelers LB of all time. Provided he resigns a long term deal.

7. Ike: if he had hands, he would D. Revis, but he can take any team #1 WR out of the game.

8. Timmons: As well as he has played as in inside LB, I still think his more natural position is OLB. But I will take him at whatever position that keeps him on the field.

9. Wallace: "splash" play machine, but when he improve his intermediate game, will be unstoppable.

10. Farrior: underrated, dosen't have the "splash" plays like the OLB, but is a rock in the middle of the Steelers D.

DanRooney
05-21-2011, 10:29 AM
1. Troy (best safety in the game)
2. Harrison (best overall linebacker in the game)
3. Roethlisberger
4. Timmons
5. Pouncey
6. Wallace
7. Mendenhall
8. Aaron Smith
9. Brett Keisel
10. Casey Hampton

11. Woodley (most overrated linebacker in the league)