PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor on Rome is Burning

mos07
05-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't know what I expected him to say ....the usual stuff I guess, but I did not feel comfortable about him returning after the interview.

I did not expect him to say he was going to give the Steelers a hometown discount - that was a horrible question to a player entering FA by Rome, but I guess it was the way he answered the questions. Did anyone else see the interview? Maybe I am reading too much into it, but something just did not feel right.

He kept saying somebody out there will like Ike Taylor, he is disrespected, he is a top 5 corner, there will be no hometown discount.............

If he does not return, plan B? :crossfingers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRwcNmawWi0

Phenomenal TJ
05-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Pretty sure Plan B involves a lot of smoke coming from the secondary.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2011, 06:25 PM
I saw it too. Ike is just saying what he feels right now. He knows it's a business and he knows that free agency means you have the choice to pick and choose. He earned the right to be in the good position he's in right now as he mentioned. He'll never admit to giving a hometown discount, no player would. I did come away with the feeling that he's more willing to be open to going elsewhere though if the money is right. He said he needs market value and honestly I expect the Steelers to give it to him. There's many ways to try and read into it so it's all speculation right now anyways.

Phenomenal TJ
05-18-2011, 06:51 PM
He knows the Steelers need him more than he needs them at this point, he's not going to be cheap.

Big T
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Ike Taylor isn’t down with a hometown*discount
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 18, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT

Despite a feeling in Pittsburgh that Ike Taylor was likely to return to the team, Florio credited a source recently that said Taylor planned to test the free agent market.

Taylor made that strategy pretty clear during a Wednesday appearance on Jim Rome is Burning, saying he wouldn’t take a hometown discount.

“I need that market value. *I work so hard,” Taylor told Rome. “I’ve been through so much, I feel so*unappreciated, feel so underrated at my position, I feel like it’s my time to get my worth, in whatever city that’s in.”

The nine-year veteran was very pragmatic in the interview and hoped to stay in Pittsburgh, but he knows the Steelers track record with free agents well.

“I would love to [return to Pittsburgh], but they usually sign player a year before [free agency], so we’ll see what happens,” Taylor said.

Taylor could wind up getting big money from a team that falls short in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/18/ike-taylor-isnt-down-with-a-hometown-discout/

DanRooney
05-18-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm sure Asomugha would be down with that hometown discount :yellowthumb:

LatrobePA
05-18-2011, 07:17 PM
Bargining tools fellas, this is a business...

If I was entertaining a potenial customer the last thing I'd expect to hear from them is sure, I'll pay more just to keep it in the same zip code!!

He'll be back without a doubt!

Phenomenal TJ
05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
On a somewhat related note, it's crap that iMax was shut down and Max Kellerman was booted back to boxing when Jim Rome is still around for me to hear. :\

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2011, 07:29 PM
It's definitely a bargaining move on his part, I was just hoping to hear him say more positive things about sticking around. Perhaps something like 'I'd love to return to Pittsburgh, they've done so much for me, etc. etc. but I understand this is business so we'll see. He pretty much eluded to that but you always like to hear players talk about how good they've had it, not how under appreciated they are.

Callax
05-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Right now anything can be said because NOTHING can be done with FA in hiatus...
A chess match is being played. all postering and positioning....
I want to have Ike play for Pitt for the next several years because he is a solid cornerback and he has done well over the years. Right now, all we can do is guess and postulate about what he wants to do and where he wants to finish his career. I hope as #24 for the Black and Gold, but the decision his his and his alone...

connecticutsteel
05-18-2011, 08:37 PM
I also think that the majority of the players are frustrated by the lock -out and lack of free agency so when free agency starts Ike will loosen up and sign with The Steelers

DanRooney
05-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I find it funny how he mentioned how players in Pittsburgh usually get offered a contract a year before their final year...but does he remember how he faired in 2009? He should be grateful that the Steelers didn't offer him one after his worst season because he'd be looking at about $4 million a year for the next 3 years as opposed to $8-10.

Callax
05-18-2011, 08:48 PM
I believe ( and hope) that Plan B will involve NA from oakland ( I wish)

DanRooney
05-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd take Cromartie or Carlos Rogers as well

Callax
05-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd take Cromartie or Carlos Rogers as well

Cromartie would be ok, except he wants to repopulater the world by himself..

Rogers plays like Ike.... solid defensively, not a lot of int's
will take either AND Ike

DanRooney
05-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Cromartie would be ok, except he wants to repopulater the world by himself..

Rogers plays like Ike.... solid defensively, not a lot of int's
will take either AND Ike

Yeah Rogers is a carbon copy of Ike. Good against the run, pretty good in coverage and hands of stone :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Added the youtube video of the interview in the first post of this thread.

scpc
05-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Don't they all say how unappreciated they are and move on? One year away from the Steelers and they are trying to come back.:lol:
As always "Go Steelers":cope:

Real Deal Steel
05-18-2011, 10:48 PM
He knows the Steelers need him more than he needs them at this point, he's not going to be cheap.

Exactly!!!!!!!

So if we have to pony up, we might as well go after the Raiders cornerback.

bensshoes
05-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I've always liked Ike but under apperciated, please he'll come to find that he should talk too Larry F about how green the grass is where they pay "market value" and if he didn't want to answer questions like this why do the interview? I say let him see how the rest of the football world operates from the outside and how good he really had it here! as for the Steelers they will keep moving forward!

steeldoc
05-20-2011, 11:47 PM
If he could only catch.:tdcheer:

Phenomenal TJ
05-21-2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I wonder how much money his hands have cost him thus far in his career? lol

connecticutsteel
05-21-2011, 02:11 PM
I saw this show and all he says is he wants market value he won't command Asomuga money He will be back next year he posturing for negotiations

Rampage
05-21-2011, 04:56 PM
Has anyone here ever sold an old car? Whenever you are talking to prospective buyers, it is the greatest car on the market. Nothing compares. They would be lucky to get that car, because it could possibly be the best car ever built. Ike is trying to build up his brand. The more hype his camp can build around him, the more he is going to get in his next contract. Though, if he truly thinks he is a legitimate top five corner and he wants that money, I think he's hanging out with Santonio Holmes and Ricky Williams a little too much.