PDA

View Full Version : HC: Favorites and longshots.....

DIESELMAN
01-08-2007, 10:21 AM
It's only the first week of the search for the next Steelers' coach, but the pace has been breakneck. Today, Dale Lolley handicaps the race. He has a surprising favorite and a long shot or two.

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/39/391092.jpg

Bill Cowher hadnít yet held his final press conference Friday to announce his resignation when I received an e-mail telling me the odds on who the next head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers would be.

But what does Vegas really know about it? Hereís a look at the leading candidates for the job and their odds to be the man to lead the Steelers for the next decade.

Russ Grimm (Odds, 2-1) The Steelers offensive line/assistant head coach has the respect of the players that only a player who has been a finalist for the Hall of Fame the past couple of year can command. They like him, they listen to him. Donít underestimate that in this process. Grimm is also a native of nearby Scottdale and attended the University of Pittsburgh, so he has local ties as well. Itís a tough call between Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt at this point, but Iíd give Grimm a slight lead.

Ken Whisenhunt (Odds, 5-2) Whisenhunt is an outstanding communicator and a good Xs and Os guy. Like Grimm, he also has the respect of the players, but he isnít quite as fiery as Grimm. Interestingly enough, his candidacy for every other open coaching position - save Oakland - could hurt him in Pittsburgh. If Whisenhunt is offered a job elsewhere before the Steelers are ready to make a hire, he may take the sure thing rather than a maybe from the Steelers.

Ron Rivera (Odds, 5-1) Rivera is an up-and-comer, no doubt about it. And his background as an analyst for the Bears radio broadcasts before he got into coaching shows that he knows how to communicate. But is he the right man for this job? The Steelers likely donít want to break up their current staff too much and Rivera most certainly would want to bring some of his own people in.

Mike Tomlin (Odds, 7-1) Tomlin, at 34, is likely the youngest person the Steelers will interview and is the same age Cowher was when he took over for Chuck Noll in 1992. But heís only been a coordinator for one season, so he likely needs a little more time at his current post before heís ready to step into the big chair. But you can bet the fact the Steelers interviewed him means that heís viewed as a solid up-and-comer in NFL circles. Heíll be a head coach in the next three seasons barring a total meltdown in Minnesota.

Kirk Ferentz (Odds, 10-1) Ferentz has consistently said that he is not interested in the Steelers job and the Steelers wonít beg him to talk like Alabama did with Nick Saban. Itís unlikely Ferentz will ever be a viable candidate.

Cam Cameron (Odds, 12-1) The offensive coordinator of the San Diego Chargers has head coaching experience in college and has plenty of NFL experience as well. But heíd likely want to revamp the offense and that could create havoc with Ben Roethlisberger. But he'll be a hot candidate when the Chargers win this year's Super Bowl.

Field (Odds, 15-1) Chances are, the leading candidate is somebody the Steelers will speak to this week, with Grimm and Whisenhunt the obvious frontrunners. But somebody else could sneak into this pack and weíll have to update our odds.

Bill Cowher (Odds, 1 million-1) What are the chances that Cowher has a change of heart and decides this week he made a mistake? None. And Cowher will never again work for the organization. He cut his ties when he resigned and whatís done is done.

By Dale Lolley
For SteelCityInsider.com
Posted Jan 7, 2007
Dale Lolley appears courtesy of the Observer-Reporter.

I think it'll be either Grimm or an outsider we've never heard of. Either way he better be a motivator and not afraid to grab his nuts and get in some ones face.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2007, 10:31 AM
You don't become an assistant head coach for nothing, so he is definately a front runner IMO.

AZ_Steeler
01-08-2007, 10:33 AM
If it is Grimm, then I only hope he and Whiz are good buddies and have enough respect for each other that Whiz will stick around and continue to call the plays at least one more year :pray:

Koopa
01-08-2007, 02:29 PM
why would whiz stick around and be back up to someone he's better then??? grimm is gonna suck worse then cowher did in tight games, and he was probably assistant head coach cause they probably felt sorry for him cause no one would hire him as a head coach

AZ_Steeler
01-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I would just like to see as many players and coaches return as possible especially when the HC leaves... but that's my opinion.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 02:47 PM
is that grimm in the picture??? he don't look like andy reid there, but when i googled him he looked like andy reid, if he looks like that i wouldn't mind him as the head coach, i just don't want another andy reid in the nfl......

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 03:00 PM
is that grimm in the picture??? he don't look like andy reid there, but when i googled him he looked like andy reid, if he looks like that i wouldn't mind him as the head coach, i just don't want another andy reid in the nfl......

Koop what does looking like Andy Reid have to do with how good or bad a coach Russ Grimm is? Plus Andy Reid had done very well as HC for the Eagles. He hasn't won the Super Bowl but the Eagles have had alot of success.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 03:04 PM
see i don't get it, how is getting to the nfc championship year in and year out and failing success??? that just shows he can't coach under pressure, just like bill cowher couldn't, and grimm will be the same way.....f'k regular season wins, i rather sneak in and have a coach that can coach in big games, then dominate the regular season and then get dominated in the playoffs like cowher was accustom to doing.....and when cowher gets back into the league he'll be the same way

Steelersfan
01-08-2007, 03:14 PM
How many coaches do you know that can dominate all the time in the playoffs? I do agree with you about Cowher in the playoffs though. I use to get pretty pissed off about it too.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2007, 03:25 PM
see i don't get it, how is getting to the nfc championship year in and year out and failing success??? that just shows he can't coach under pressure, just like bill cowher couldn't, and grimm will be the same way.....f'k regular season wins, i rather sneak in and have a coach that can coach in big games, then dominate the regular season and then get dominated in the playoffs like cowher was accustom to doing.....and when cowher gets back into the league he'll be the same way

See I don't agree at all, even chuck noll, don shula, hell bill belicheck have off years where season's don't go as planned for many possible reasons. You don't suddenly forget how to coach or turn into a bad coach 1 year removed after the superbowl.

Blitzburgh55
01-08-2007, 03:26 PM
WHIZ OR RIVERA

WHIZ might end up staying anyway cuze he aint going to the ATL any time soon:bigthumb:

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I want Whiz.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Grimm

SteelerDan43
01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
My wish list....

1. Ron Rivera - new look, same defensive minded philosphy
2. Russ Grimm - Knows the team, knows alot about winning big games with the Steelers and the Hogs
3. Ken Whisenhunt - Knows the team, but his play calling was iffy this year but he more than likely wouldnt be calling the plays as HC

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't mind Rivera I just think he might switch to the 4-3/cover2 that he runs with the Bears. The Steelers are built for the 3-4.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 03:59 PM
See I don't agree at all, even chuck noll, don shula, hell bill belicheck have off years where season's don't go as planned for many possible reasons. You don't suddenly forget how to coach or turn into a bad coach 1 year removed after the superbowl.

he's never been good in the playoffs though, he isn't on any of those coaches level....if it wasn't for carson going down we wouldn't have made it to the superbowl......and if it wasn't for the refs ticky tack calls we wouldn't have won it all....cowher has always coached like a coward and has always played not to lose.......

Koopa
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't mind Rivera I just think he might switch to the 4-3/cover2 that he runs with the Bears. The Steelers are built for the 3-4.

i think if we'd get him, he wouldn't switch anytime soon, he'd have to rebuild to switch cause like you said this team is set up for the 3-4, i wouldn't be surprised if he stays with the 3-4 either if he came and had nothing but success with it..

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Yea Carson getting hurt is the reason the Bengals lost that game. I didn't know Carson played DE,DT,LB,C and S. The Bengals defense gave up 31 points and was the big reason the Bengals lost that game. Plus you don't know if Carson would have played well that game. He threw one pass and yes it was 66 yard pass to Chris Henry. But still the next plays Carson could have thrown an INT or fumbled the snap.

As for the ticky tack calls in the Super Bowl come on Koop they were not that bad as they were made out to be.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 04:06 PM
i think if we'd get him, he wouldn't switch anytime soon, he'd have to rebuild to switch cause like you said this team is set up for the 3-4, i wouldn't be surprised if he stays with the 3-4 either if he came and had nothing but success with it..

I don't know usually when coaches are hired they want to run their style. If Rivera keeps the 3-4 if hired the I have no problem with him being the coach of the Steelers.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 04:08 PM
did you see what carson did to us on his one and only play, that was a sign of things to come, and they were still beating us with kitna for awhile so if they would've had a real qb playing they would've beat us.......and i ain't saying they were bad calls but they were ticky tack......and i'm not complaining about it, i'll take the superbowl however we can, cause with cowher you know you can't win it straight up lol

Blitzburgh55
01-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Jon Kitna Threw for over 4,000 yyards this year he is good

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 04:13 PM
did you see what carson did to us on his one and only play, that was a sign of things to come, and they were still beating us with kitna for awhile so if they would've had a real qb playing they would've beat us.......and i ain't saying they were bad calls but they were ticky tack......and i'm not complaining about it, i'll take the superbowl however we can, cause with cowher you know you can't win it straight up lol

I know the Bengals blew two 10 point leads with Kitna in there. But Kitna came in charged up since Carson went down and our defense was to busy trash talking with the Bengals offense due to Carson's injury. When our defense settled down they shut down the Bengals. I think if Carson would have been in there the whole game the D would have remainded focused the whole game.

They got beat on Carson's only pass but the defense very well could have came up with an INT in the red zone there. The thing is nobody will never know so there is no use in really talking about it. The game is what it is.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Jon Kitna Threw for over 4,000 yyards this year he is good

but he played all season this year, last year he barely played, and was just thrown in during a playoff game, and he gave them a 17-14 lead going into halftime, thank god the d stepped up in the second half, and thank god it wasn't carson throwing

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2007, 04:29 PM
he's never been good in the playoffs though, he isn't on any of those coaches level....if it wasn't for carson going down we wouldn't have made it to the superbowl......and if it wasn't for the refs ticky tack calls we wouldn't have won it all....cowher has always coached like a coward and has always played not to lose.......

yeah but you don't know that. Russ hasn't been given the chance to prove whether or not he can be a good coach year in and year out because he's always been the assistant to BC. Cowher always had the final say so we don't know how much input Russ had exactly or how many of his thoughts and decisions were implemented on a weekly basis.

The refs didn't win us that superbowl, and just because carson went down doesn't mean that we would have lost. Comon dude, you're sounding like the rest of the league here with that kinda crap ! :greenkick:

Koopa
01-08-2007, 04:36 PM
yeah but you don't know that. Russ hasn't been given the chance to prove whether or not he can be a good coach year in and year out because he's always been the assistant to BC. Cowher always had the final say so we don't know how much input Russ had exactly or how many of his thoughts and decisions were implemented on a weekly basis.

The refs didn't win us that superbowl, and just because carson went down doesn't mean that we would have lost. Comon dude, you're sounding like the rest of the league here with that kinda crap ! :greenkick:

i'm just saying what i saw, the only teams we really beat straight up were the colts everyone's favorite, and the broncos.....i'm sure we could've beat the bengals, but damn, that one play sure puts a lot of doubt in my mind

i don't know, i just think grimm might tighten up like cowher did in big games.....if he's hired i'll support him, but the first sign of coaching not to lose like everyones hero cowher always did in the playoffs i'll turn on him lol

and another reason i'm against him i want a young coach, i know whiz and rivera are 44 but at least they ain't pushing 50 like grimm lol

TampaSteelGirl
01-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I'll be the head coach! I had lots of opinions and good ideas throughout the entire season which came to me while I was watching each and every game!!! I'll implement them with a little help from the entire Steeler nation!!! :tt02:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2007, 04:41 PM
You're right he very well could clam up in the playoffs, we don't know for sure. From what Ive read the players really respond to him, listen to him, and he's been around long enough to know our system inside and out. Im sure he'll add some of his own wrinkles here and there and make it his own though, that's only logical.

I do like the fact of having a younger coach because I think the players respond better to them in general being that they are most close to their age group than an older coach. Not that Russ is old but I can see your point.

Yes when Palmer went down it made things alot easier that game but Kitna did have a good game and could have pulled it out for them but it was just our day.

Troyisabeast_43
01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Dont be shocked guys if Mike Tomlin ends up sneaking in here and getting this job. He and Cowher have a lot of similarities when they were first hired and he just seems like he might be a good fit for this job. I dont think in the end it will happen but Im not gonna be shocked if gets the job remember where you heard it first. Tomlin I really believe is going to get a serious serious look.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Dont be shocked guys if Mike Tomlin ends up sneaking in here and getting this job. He and Cowher have a lot of similarities when they were first hired and he just seems like he might be a good fit for this job. I dont think in the end it will happen but Im not gonna be shocked if gets the job remember where you heard it first. Tomlin I really believe is going to get a serious serious look.

i wouldn't mind that, ppl are scared cause the d he ran, but i'm sure he could change too lol

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2007, 06:11 PM
The Steelers dont interview just for the sake of doing it. If they call someone up to talk with them, it's because the FO believes he has something significant to offer our team.