PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith injury update, no timetable for full recovery yet.

jpele
05-14-2011, 10:57 AM
This is not good news for Aaron but a lot more playing time for Ziggy and Cam.

The Post-Gazette reports that the prognosis for defensive end Aaron Smith is less clear. He is not fully recovered from the torn triceps tendon that caused him to miss the final 13 games last season, and it is unclear when he will be 100 percent.

Link (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fd09fe/article/report-polamalus-achilles-should-be-healed-by-training-camp-?module=HP_headlines)

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2011, 11:02 AM
There is still plenty of time for him to recover from this, however it does pave the way for Hood to continue to get playing time and also to see 1st round draft pick Cam Heyward. Smith is the type of guy that won't want to end his career on an injury note if he can help it so I suspect unless it's really, really, bad he'll still be back this year.

Depending on the prognosis it wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers go out in free agency and try to bring in another player.

Callax
05-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I hope he can have a good quality of llife after football, because he is getting pretty high in football age and will not be able to play much longer
Looks like Ziggy is his heir apparent maybe this will be sooner than later

LatrobePA
05-14-2011, 01:46 PM
I love the guy but I have a feeling the fork needs to be put in him!

Rampage
05-14-2011, 02:46 PM
I love the guy but I have a feeling the fork needs to be put in him!

Pretty much. He has done well in the past; however, he just does not seem to have any durability at this point. The older a player gets, the more injuries the get. More injuries seem to lead to more injuries. It's a vicious cycle. At least the team has some young defensive ends who should be able to fill in.

steelersbabex25
05-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I love you Aaron Smith, but I think it's time to go. I think we all know that once he gets back in there he's going to get hurt pretty quickly again. Not even sure if it's worth it anymore.

connecticutsteel
05-14-2011, 03:43 PM
It's always worth it to let him play if he can however we shouldn't keep him on the active roster unless he can play

Black@Gold Forever32
05-14-2011, 04:39 PM
I agree its probably the end of the road for Aaron Smith and dude really has the ultimate Steeler.........Its hard for these players to give up the game they love so much.......I hope to see him come back and contribute but I'm not counting on it......At least we have some young DL in place that can help contribute.....Hood should be looked at as a starter now and Heyward will see plenty of snaps for sure.....

igor0190
05-14-2011, 04:50 PM
I think he should have a limited snap count at this point in his career... Play him in running situations and take him out in any passing situations.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Limited snaps is the way to go if he comes back. He'll have a better chance of staying healthy for an entire season. When he is on his game there is no one better. I'd hate to see his career end this way.

Sent from BRC's Droid X

Real Deal Steel
05-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Pretty much. He has done well in the past; however, he just does not seem to have any durability at this point. The older a player gets, the more injuries the get. More injuries seem to lead to more injuries. It's a vicious cycle. At least the team has some young defensive ends who should be able to fill in.

I agree.

K Train
05-17-2011, 11:49 AM
and they wanted him to play in the playoffs....dicks

Rampage
05-17-2011, 12:33 PM
and they wanted him to play in the playoffs....dicks

Good thing they cut Gibson!

LatrobePA
05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Good thing they cut Gibson!

Talk about dicks! This one still chaps my ***!

jpele
05-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Talk about dicks! This one still chaps my ***!

I'm not going anywhere near this..:greengrin:

andyg1984
05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
the steelers knew this when they drafted heyward ..im not surprised at all if we let him go ..

it sucks, but if you make it to the SB without a 5 tech and have essentially the best run D in the league you have to start asking yourself if he is essential ..

Zachintosh66
05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
so why was he never IR'd if it was that bad... and we lost Gibson... good coaching

LatrobePA
05-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm not going anywhere near this..:greengrin:

Hahahahaa my one liners at their finest! lol

Gibson will be a beast!@!