PDA

View Full Version : Report: Polamalu's Achilles' should be healed by training camp

Scorp
05-13-2011, 05:54 PM
An Achilles' tendon injury dampened Troy Polamalu's playoff run with the Pittsburgh Steelers last season, but the Pro Bowl safety is expected to be ready for training camp following treatment and rehabilitation this offseason in Los Angeles, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Friday.

The three-time All-Pro is under the care of an orthopedic surgeon who has ties to the Steelers' medical staff.

Sources confirmed to the newspaper last month that Polamalu never fully recovered from the Achilles' injury he suffered during a Week 14 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Polamalu, 29, injured the Achilles as he approached the end zone to score a touchdown off an interception return. He missed subsequent games against the New York Jets and Carolina Panthers before returning for the regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns.

Down the stretch, the Steelers held Polamulu out of practice every day but Fridays, but Polamalu struggled to play up to his normal standards in the playoffs, failing to make an interception and managing just 10 tackles as Pittsburgh advanced to the Super Bowl but lost.

The Post-Gazette reports that the prognosis for defensive end Aaron Smith is less clear. He is not fully recovered from the torn triceps tendon that caused him to miss the final 13 games last season, and it is unclear when he will be 100 percent.

www.nfl.com

BlitzburghRockCity
05-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Oh I'm sure he'll be ready to go by training camp, I have little doubt of that. We just need Troy to stay healthy for a full season. He's such an impact player and affects the entire defense with his abilities. He doesn't do the Steelers any good on the sidelines.

Callax
05-14-2011, 11:15 AM
I hope this doe not become a naging injury like Hines' hamstring

DanRooney
05-14-2011, 01:08 PM
Who cares he'll just get burned anyway. Remember the SB when Greg Jennings beat him when he was playing cornerback? :yellowthumb:

JensK
05-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Who cares he'll just get burned anyway. Remember the SB when Greg Jennings beat him when he was playing cornerback? :yellowthumb:

Yeah.. Polamalu had a terrible season! Only 7 interceptions. That is total and utter rubbish, when Ed Reed had more! It is, by no means, Polamalu's fault that the coaches decided to play him even though they were aware that he was injured. Even so, better cornerbacks than Polamalu (go figure) was burned by Rodgers - Jennings that year.

Sometimes it really feels like people just bash on players for the sake of bashing. Even if it, at times, is sarcasm it hardly leads to a factual and reasoned debate >.>

connecticutsteel
05-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Imagine the Steelers Defense without troy and as for getting burned by jennibgs in the super bowl that was hardly the reason they lost i would look at the fumble by mendy and the pick six take away the pick six and that fumble almost doesnt matter and everyone gets burned including primetime sanders,rod woodson and darelle revis all have been burned so what is your point:evilshake:

Rampage
05-14-2011, 02:50 PM
I sticking to my guns on this one: Bench him for the first four games of the season. That way he'll be able to make it through without a late season injury. :thinking:

BlitzburghRockCity
05-14-2011, 09:16 PM
The fact is that when Troy is healthy he is the best Safety in the league still. We need look no further than last year before he got hurt. He was on fire making interceptions, sacks, strips, big plays all over the place. He was a big reason we were so successful on defense. He's been much like Aaron Smith in the last 3 years; when he's healthy he's the best but he just can't stay on the field.

The main problem is the Steelers have nobody backing him up that's even half as good as he is. I would say soon they are going to have to start looking for a new, big time, top prospect Safety in the draft.

Dean Denton
05-15-2011, 12:18 AM
I would hope he would be ready for training camp...it could be a year away. And Troy was hurt in that SB. Should not have been on the field. The guy was 20 lbs over his normal game weight....One of the best players of all time...

Real Deal Steel
05-15-2011, 12:40 AM
I would hope he would be ready for training camp...it could be a year away. And Troy was hurt in that SB. Should not have been on the field. The guy was 20 lbs over his normal game weight....One of the best players of all time...

I would have liked to see a healthy Troy in that Super Bowl.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-15-2011, 12:30 PM

At the rate we're going right now there should be no excuse for any player to have any lagging injuries before the season starts; don't jinx us though with that "year away" talk..LOL.

Callax
05-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Troy healthy is nearly unequalled in the League ( Reed)
FYI....reasons Pitt lost SB: forced fumble of Mendy by Matthews
pick 6 by GB
Ben focusing on Wallace ALL GAME
the TD throw to Jennings in the slot HAD to be perect and it was!! Clark barely missed defecting that pass

An injured Troy is (regrettably) better than anyone healthy we had available to play in the secondary in the SB... aka no quality depth

We need youth at DL, better OL and Quality in the secondary... in the next few years we will need someone to replace Troy or at least spell him for a few plays

Black@Gold Forever32
05-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Troy is great player and has once in a generation type talent but he can't be counted on at all to go a season without getting injured.......I just hope he can stay healthy all season if there is one.....

LatrobePA
05-16-2011, 10:20 PM
I think this team will need to address the safety position soon...

Callax
05-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I think this team will need to address the safety position soon...

Troy is 29 and could play for another 8 years or so if he can stay healthy

Key word healthy!!!!

LatrobePA
05-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Key word healthy!!!!

Key word for me is "IF"!

His playing style will continue to get him banged up!

Rampage
05-17-2011, 12:34 PM

Key word healthy!!!!

Stay healthy? I would like to see him get healthy. He's like a human wrecking ball so I think he's always injured. :lol:

andyg1984
05-17-2011, 05:45 PM
he was visibly not 100% in sb 45 .. im hoping for a solid year ..