PDA

View Full Version : Free Safety position in 2011

cmerrifield
05-11-2011, 09:32 AM
We did not draft a FS and Butler spent some time practicing that position last year. When we drafted 2 CB's but no FS, does that mean Butler is the guy? Or are they moving Lewis there? Clark did not play every snap in the playoffs, so LeBeau and others know Clark's career is coming to an end, but who replaces him? Let's assume McFadden's injury is the only reason he played poorly and we resign Ike. The CB position is stacked with guys, not necessarily talent, but guys. So who moves to FS?

K Train
05-11-2011, 10:08 AM
I would love deunta williams to be brought in.

i am not a ryan clark fan but there are capable guys to play FS....even mcfadden is well suited for the position. Hes a sure tackler, good ball skills and is solid in zone...mundy and keenan lewis both profile as a FS as well

Ideally, and this might be a long shot but so was my ideal scenerio of pouncey playing center as a rookie and the steelers signing flozell as a RT and that workd out just lovely.

Ike at LCB. Butler at RCB, Troy at SS, Mcfadden at FS, and Curtis Brown at NB

That would be a hell of a lineup going into the season with gay moving on, mundy and clark the primary safety backups and lewis probably getting cut.

all of this stems off of 1) resigning ike 2) how they feel about butler 3) how stubborn they are about moving mcfadden and 4) how stubborn they are abuot demoting ryan clark

cmerrifield
05-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I like the starting secondary, but I would even keep Gay as the dime back.

K Train
05-11-2011, 10:26 AM
i dont think gay will be back, i kinda hope he is though because i do like him as a role player. Cortez Allen also will have some effect on gay, mundy, lewis, mcfaddens future.

hopefully at the very least he can replace madison

Zachintosh66
05-11-2011, 12:14 PM
nothing will change... we will still be stuck w slow *** over rated Clark.

Steelers never switch guys positions... so we still have no S depth.

K Train
05-11-2011, 12:21 PM

starks from right to left, flo from left to right

harrison from middle to outside

timmons from outside to inside

deshea from RCB to NB

keisel from wedgebuster to RDE

davenport from RB to FB

johnson from TE to FB

porter, woodley, haggans, worilds from DE to OLB

with butler and brown being the guys that are gonna push hard for playing time, i wouldnt be surprised to see guys walk or change to safety. imo butler and brown will both be superior to mcfadden as CBs, but mcfadden would be a huge upgrade over clark who has really fallen off and bmacs skillset is perfect for FS in our d

cmerrifield
05-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Even in the Super Bowl, they pulled Clark some in obvious passing situations. His time is ending and they will do sometheing about it. While we are making changes, I wouldnt mind seeing Sylvester in for Farrior in obvious passing situations.

K Train
05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
i wouldnt mind farrior being cut.

connecticutsteel
05-11-2011, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't cut farrior because he knows the system and the younger guys need his knowledge maybe next year

Black@Gold Forever32
05-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Clark's style of play doesn't fly in Goodell's new NFL were you can't make contact with WR's anymore........Clark has always been more of a hitter then a cover guy......

I would be all for McFadden or somebody else getting a shot at FS........