PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS FALCONS HIRE COACH

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 09:38 PM
JUST KIDDING :nahnah: :nahnah: :nahnah: :nahnah:

Falcons nab Louisville's Petrino for head coach slot
ESPN.com news services

Louisville coach Bobby Petrino has accepted a five-year, $24 million offer from the Atlanta Falcons to become their new coach.

Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich confirmed to ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Petrino told him about 8:30 p.m. ET that he had accepted the job and that Rich McKay, the Falcons' president and general manager, had called this afternoon to tell Jurich about the offer.

"Bobby Petrino did a great job here at Louisville," Jurich said. "I'm proud of what he accomplished. I just wish we could have kept him longer. He will do a great job for the Falcons."

ESPN.com's Pat Forde first reported the hiring earlier Sunday night. Mortensen reported earlier that the Falcons were in deep negotiations with Petrino.

The Cardinals held a previously scheduled 9 p.m. ET team meeting at which Petrino will tell his players, the source said. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reported that an NFL source also confirmed the hiring.

"I'm in shock right now," Louisville kicker Arthur Carmody told ESPN's Joe Schad Sunday night. "I'm about to walk into a team meeting right now. We're coming off a great Orange Bowl win and we were all thinking national championship. I didn't think this would happen. He said he enjoyed college football. He's a great coach and we're going to miss him."

An announcement from the Falcons could come Monday.

Before the season, Petrino signed a 10-year, $25 million contract with Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich. Petrino had previously interviewed with Auburn, LSU, Notre Dame and the Oakland Raiders for other jobs, but announced in August that he would be at Louisville for the long haul.

"I can't tell you how happy I am with the commitment and the confidence that Tom Jurich has in me and the university has in me," Petrino said after signing the contract. "I also wanted to make sure that everyone understood, I know I've said it, that this is where my family wants to be. This is where I want to be. I want everyone to really believe it."

Louisville had just completed a 12-1 season climaxed by their first BCS bowl victory, over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl. Petrino's record was 41-9 at Louisville, as he elevated the program into an annual national contender.

The leading candidate to replace Petrino figures to be Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe, who has taken the Golden Hurricane to three bowl games in four years after taking over one of the worst programs in the country.

ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach contributed to this report.

K Train
01-07-2007, 09:42 PM
that was ****ed up lol

AZ_Steeler
01-07-2007, 09:43 PM
That is really ****ed up!!! :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 09:49 PM
That's freekin wrong dude !! I should take away all your points for that !

Thank goodness, now we just wait and see what happens as the Steelers do their interviews and make a decision.

Koopa
01-07-2007, 09:50 PM
your lucky i saw this at my site before coming here, or i would've cyber kicked your *** lol

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Thank goodness, now we just wait and see what happens as the Steelers do their interviews and make a decision.

Happens when the boredom of the offseason kicks in.

AZ_Steeler
01-07-2007, 09:52 PM

I think we can find something better to do to him than take away his points :bwah:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 09:57 PM
Now you're talking AZ ... you better watch your back Philly !! :lol:

House of Steel
01-07-2007, 09:58 PM
He scared the living **** out of me when I saw this title. I will cyber kick his *** for ya, Koopa.

Koopa
01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
He scared the living **** out of me when I saw this title. I will cyber kick his *** for ya, Koopa.

i thought you wanted russ grimm??

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Someone has to liven this place up. :lol: Now back to your regular scheduled offseason programming.

PITT23
01-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Thank god I saw the ESPN story before coming here and reading this/ Even though I actually did figure Whiz was all but gone to there. Petrino had a great situation at Louisville and I don't think he's going to be successful in to NCAA to NFL jump (similar to Nick Saban).

AZ_Steeler
01-07-2007, 10:12 PM
You're quick to get to the regular program now SFP :lol:

House of Steel
01-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't know, Koopa, I keep weighing on the options and researching. Whiz knows our offense, has a great relationship with Ben and probably will trust in him more than Cowher. I like the opportunity this is showing. Grimm, I am having second thoughts all of a sudden.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 10:40 PM
You're quick to get to the regular program now SFP :lol:

Well you know it is getting late for the old timers around here. :lol: They had enough excitement for one day. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2007, 12:58 AM
The falcons could be in for a long season..he's going to bring in his own coaches and his system. It will be interesting to see how fast Vick picks up on it.

Prosdo
01-08-2007, 01:15 AM
I think we can find something better to do to him than take away his points :bwah:

I say we ban him for a few days lol

Steelerlyn
01-08-2007, 01:39 AM
I am just glad Whiz is out.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 02:21 AM
The falcons could be in for a long season..he's going to bring in his own coaches and his system. It will be interesting to see how fast Vick picks up on it.

if they'd just stop trying to force vick into something he's not and just let him make plays with his feet they'd have a nice record, but for some reason ppl try to make him into a passer and he sucks, he may never win a superbowl but who cares, not everyone is going to win one, but at least he can make that team respectable if they'd just let him be him, like when he first came into the league and ****

Ambridge
01-08-2007, 06:49 AM
if they'd just stop trying to force vick into something he's not and just let him make plays with his feet they'd have a nice record, but for some reason ppl try to make him into a passer and he sucks, he may never win a superbowl but who cares, not everyone is going to win one, but at least he can make that team respectable if they'd just let him be him, like when he first came into the league and ****

I agree!
Vick definately isn't a West Coast QB so I'd bet Petrino puts in an offensive system to fit his style.
I'm not a Mike Vick fan but he does have a cannon for an arm and a lot of the problems in Atlanta is that his receivers just plain sucked this season....... they constantly dropped balls right in there hands or didn't make a much of an effort.
Good thing Atlanta had Algie Crumpler or it could have been a lot worse.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 11:13 AM
Bob Petrino was a good hire for the Falcons. He has a very creative offensive mind. This might be the right HC for Mike Vick. Back to Petrino he did very well at Louisville and I think its going to be interesting to see what he can do down in Atlanta.

Blitzburgh55
01-08-2007, 03:21 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
IS Ken getting Interviewed anywhere else

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Ken, already interviewed with miami, and arizona.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2007, 04:22 PM
he's due up to interview with us tomorrow I believe.

AZ_Steeler
01-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Yes, tomorrow is Ken today is Russ...

DIESELMAN
01-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Bob Petrino was a good hire for the Falcons. He has a very creative offensive mind. This might be the right HC for Mike Vick. Back to Petrino he did very well at Louisville and I think its going to be interesting to see what he can do down in Atlanta.

Yes he is, when he came to Louisville the Cards weren't in great shape. He finished with a 41-9 record and a top 10 finish. I heard the Atlanta FO has already put it in the hands of the new HC on what to do with Vick.

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Sign matt schaub, tell mike the arena league is hiring. :lol: