PDA

View Full Version : Steelers draft - Round 7 - Baron Batch - RB - Texas Tech

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2011, 07:40 PM
http://somuchsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Baron-Batch-Texas-Tech.jpg

Player Ranking and Stats (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125830)

Texas Tech Pro day: Eleven prospects with NFL dreams took the field Thursday in hopes of impressing representatives from 15 teams. RB Baron Batch was among the players to make an impression. He stood out in position drills, which came in windy conditions, and could be a good third-down option with solid hands. Batch could be a mid-round option for a team seeking depth in the backfield. Here are the numbers from an indoor workout on FieldTurf: Batch (5-foot-9 5/8, 207 pounds) had times of 4.50 and 4.52 seconds in the 40-yard dash, 7.03 in the three-cone drill and 4.32 in the short shuttle. He also did 24 reps on the bench press and turned in a 39-inch vertical to go with a 10-6 broad jump

connecticutsteel
04-30-2011, 07:53 PM
http://youtu.be/FZpNXNhJNII baron batch here is five min worth of highlights

coach
04-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Nice vid. I can even live with Jax 5 music.

I like what I saw. If he wants to be great, he could be around for a long time.

He's a Steeler now and I am a fan.

V_83
04-30-2011, 08:11 PM
For all those who would like to know more about him, here is his website. I recommend reading his April 10 entry.

http://baronbatch.blogspot.com/

connecticutsteel
04-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Nice vid. I can even live with Jax 5 music.

I like what I saw. If he wants to be great, he could be around for a long time.

He's a Steeler now and I am a fan.

i must say the j 5 didnt bother me at all better than horrible rap from b artists

K Train
04-30-2011, 08:29 PM
you dont hear much about the RB in a texas tech spread offense....no comment really by me. Would have liked devine, but im not complaining

greennick
04-30-2011, 08:32 PM
For all those who would like to know more about him, here is his website. I recommend reading his April 10 entry.

Pretty heavy. Hopefully he'll now learn how to spell Pittsburgh though. ;-)

connecticutsteel
04-30-2011, 08:38 PM
you dont hear much about the RB in a texas tech spread offense....no comment really by me. Would have liked devine, but im not complaining

devine has documented arrests according to mayock

LatrobePA
04-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Is it me or does he run a lot like Mendy??

Nolrog
04-30-2011, 08:44 PM
In the 7th round, you take whatever is the best player. Hopefully, some of the OL help pans out and one of the corners turns out halfway decent.

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
Batch has experience in spread/pistol offense.......I think the kid will serve some kind of role....He will have to prove he can pick up the blitz if he wants to see the field.....

Farrior Fan
04-30-2011, 09:08 PM

This kid has already overcome so much....wouldn't it be great to see him be a 7th rounder that wins a rushing title and a few SB rings? Thanks for posting that, it really makes you realize how lucky most of us really are.

On to his on the field performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_12hKW2-j3M this is every touch that he has against Kansas. First half he looks ok at best, 2nd half he goes insano beast. Dude does not get tired, not afraid at all of contact. I really hope we keep him around just in case. He has that small shifty frame and a great burst. The way he immediately recognizes the hole and is through it in a millisecond scares me because we just do not create holes like that. But I also noticed him run to the edge a few times and he can really move, and at the end he isnt afraid to make a CB or safety pay for getting in his way. :helmet:

K Train
04-30-2011, 09:13 PM
its a better pick than cedric humes or noah herron....so thats good

Dobre Shunka
04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt1ONdyWEqQ

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/mywesttexas.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/9/b0/790/9b0790f2-c3ad-11df-85ed-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4c959d9890b18.image.jpg

K Train
04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt1ONdyWEqQ

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/mywesttexas.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/9/b0/790/9b0790f2-c3ad-11df-85ed-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4c959d9890b18.image.jpg

thats funny as hell

Mike Tomlin
04-30-2011, 09:37 PM
The first thing I thought when I saw the first video was this is a younger, faster ,Mewelde Moore. He has that same center of gravity and really good hands. All the videos i've seen of him he gives 100% every play. Hopefully he has that same first down awareness. If he plays like this with us we're going to be deadly inside the 20.

Dobre Shunka
04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
thats funny as hell

Brown's post draft interview w/ the Pitt press core:

Thereís a YouTube clip of you picking off a pass going about 70, but getting caught from behind. What was that about?
I donít like making excuses, so I donít want to say because it will make me look like I make excuses, but it was a 12-play drive and I had lower back problems. Either way, heís a fast tailback. Iím going to give him his props.

Do you know who he is?
No, but I actually met him in Pittsburgh and I didnít know who he was, but he was in the opposite room as me, so we got to meet.

When you visited Pittsburgh?
Yes, he was one of the visitors. I got to meet him, heís really cool. But I donít like him because he caught me.

Stlrs4Life
04-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Is it me or does he run a lot like Mendy??

Mendy doesn't run that fast.

Another good video on Baron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S17t6-YQ7T0&feature=related

SteelCityKid5
04-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Hes a speedy little bugger... I like him already

HUNT4SEVEN
04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
The first thing I thought when I saw the first video was this is a younger, faster ,Mewelde Moore. He has that same center of gravity and really good hands. All the videos i've seen of him he gives 100% every play. Hopefully he has that same first down awareness. If he plays like this with us we're going to be deadly inside the 20.

Well said my friend exactly my thoughts, thanks for posting the video...Conn steel

coldrolled
05-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Batch has experience in spread/pistol offense.......I think the kid will serve some kind of role....He will have to prove he can pick up the blitz if he wants to see the field.....

if he reads the defenses as well as he writes and converses he is gold.. patrick peterson had a 9 on the wonderlic, this kid is probably 49

i think he is from the same town as sweed? right?

86WARD
05-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Don't hate the pick and after reading his blog, you gotta root for him. Hopefully he pans out.

steeldoc
05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
I think this kid could be the steal of the draft. great hands, and quick feet. Mwelde is bummed. He seems very grounded, and understands the gifts he has.

bensshoes
05-01-2011, 10:52 AM
i must say the j 5 didnt bother me at all better than horrible rap from b artists

I just put qwik rock on over top of it, great article this guy is gonna be a great Steeler love the pick:cope:

--- Added 5/1/2011 at 08:52 AM ---

Don't hate the pick and after reading his blog, you gotta root for him. Hopefully he pans out.

this is the same guy whom ran down Curtais Brown after an int on the return!

Phenomenal TJ
05-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Seems like injuries took their toll on him, apparently he used to be fast as hell. Kind of reminds me of Willie Parker in the regard.

BlitzburghRockCity
05-02-2011, 12:40 PM
If the Steelers feel he's healed up enough, they might consider letting Moore go and keeping this kid. He'll have to have a great offseason and camp though, but it is possible.

He'd have the same type of role that Memo does now. My main concern would be that whenever Memo gets on the field he usually produces and comes through in the clutch. Letting him go would be a risk since he doesn't cost that much vs. the cap and he's a veteran who is great in blitz pickup. It's just a matter of how much faith they have in the young kid.

Real Deal Steel
05-03-2011, 02:35 AM
I don't see the kid making it. Because there will be little to no time to learn the system and make a mark in a shortened camp. But I see that problem with all the teams this year.

coldrolled
05-03-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't see the kid making it. Because there will be little to no time to learn the system and make a mark in a shortened camp. But I see that problem with all the teams this year.

there is a month open still from june 15 to july 25th. they can have otas and mini camps. if it drags out another month..

K Train
05-03-2011, 09:58 AM
meh hes RB...if he can catch out of the backfield and block he can catch on pretty quick.

Phenomenal TJ
05-04-2011, 06:47 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Rookie Icebreaker: Baron Batch

With their final selection of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected a young man that they hope will develop at some point into the Mewelde Moore role of a third down back, Baron Batch from Texas Tech.

Read the rest here. (http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/05/pittsburgh-steelers-2011-rookie-icebreaker-baron-batch.html/)

BlitzburghRockCity
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
A Steelers running back has stirred emotions across the Internet and on Twitter with comments he wrote that opened up old wounds, conflict that runs deeply, and the art of forgiveness.

Rashard Mendenhall tweeting about Osama bin Laden? Not this time.
Rookie running back Baron Batch, drafted by the Steelers in the seventh round Saturday from Texas Tech, detailed in his blog how a draft day reunion with the father who abandoned his mother and family long ago brought not a sense of closure but of a new beginning and the relationship he hopes to have with him.

Tempted at first to rub his accomplishments in his father's face, Batch instead turned the other cheek and took a different path. Instead of hanging out with friends during the draft or going to a party with his agent in anticipation, Batch drove 850 miles to spend the day with the father he did not know well.

"Everybody all over was asking, where are you going to be? Was I going home, hang out, have a cook out? I had no idea where I wanted to spend it," Batch said in an interview Tuesday from Lubbock, Texas.
"I was driving and kind of had this internal dialogue: Should I go and see my dad, should I not? I ended up going, and it worked out really, really well. I got to spend that time with him.
"It hasn't been a complete lack of relationship, just real distant. Me doing this is getting over that hump, me excluding him from the big moments in my life ... I was glad he got to experience that phone call from the Steelers."

Batch, who is raising money selling photos from his January trip to Haiti so children there can go to school, writes a weekly blog/column/diary that appears online and in two Texas newspapers. The latest he titled "860 miles to Forgiveness," and begins:
"860 miles is the distance from Lubbock to New Orleans. The void that separates my relationship with my father is much further than that. It can't be quantified in miles, feet, or inches. Perhaps it can be measured in lost time, anger, or tears? ... My father has missed just about every major accomplishment in my life. He only made it to 2 of my high school football games and never made it to any collegiate ones. He left my mother, my siblings, and I for another woman. He missed me grow as a man and has had little input, except for what not to be.

I constantly told people that his lack of presence didn't bother me and that was a lie."
Batch writes that he, at first, hoped through the NFL draft to "find satisfaction in the fact that even though my dad had been absent for it all I had still found a way without him. Part of me wanted nothing more than to rub my success in my father's face ... I wanted him to feel abandoned like I had. I wanted him to hurt."
But then, he writes, came a voice within that said, "Go spend this time with your father."

"Forgiving my father would be an acknowledgement of his wrongdoings," Batch writes, "but if I was just like my father then it would be an acknowledgement of mine as well."
So, Batch found directions and began driving 860 miles to New Orleans and his father, Juan Batch, and let him know he was coming. When he arrived, they went fishing together, then returned to watch the draft. Batch details the anguish of waiting for his name to be called as the picks wound down to a precious few.
The phone call finally came from the Steelers. A shaky Batch answered it and was overjoyed. His father gave him a big hug and said, "Thank you for letting me be part of this day."

Batch wrote that it was "a good day, a very good day."

"I set out to find New Orleans and 860 miles later I found Forgiveness.
"It's a fresh start for me now. I feel new. I guess that it's only fitting that the same moment my father and I's relationship was renewed I was inducted into an entire new family as well; a family that is huge, a family that is loud and crazy just like my own, a family that is black and gold. I couldn't be more excited to be a Steeler and it's a long road ahead to make the team. I have my work cut out for me, but I am one step closer."

Batch, on the phone Tuesday, said that while his mother died when he was in the ninth grade: "I'm sure she's super proud of me. I can always say this: All my other moms are proud -- I've been adopted into so many families. They're proud and excited."
Batch knows that as a seventh-round draft pick and with the labor situation unsettled, he is a long way from making it in the pros. NFLDraftScout.com ranked him only 36th among the running back prospects. But the Steelers have room on their roster for another back, and they consider him a prospect on third downs because of his abilities to run, catch and block. He is 5-10, 207 pounds.

"I definitely want to make the roster, and that's going to be a lot of work, that's going to be goal No. 1," said Batch, who has graduated from Texas Tech with a degree in communications study. "I'm excited to get up there and work and get started on that goal.

"They can't guarantee me anything, I have to fight for my roster [spot] and they have guys who have been there and are more experienced. I want to help the team, whether on special teams or whatever they ask me to do."

Batch will hit the ground running and not just on the field. Shortly after he graduated in December, he left Jan. 2 for an eight-day trip to Haiti with the nonprofit Operation Hope. He has a keen interest in writing and photography and used those skills to document a medical mission's team from Lubbock in that country.

"I helped out and did relief work, but my specific job was to document the whole trip," Batch said.
Children in Haiti do not have free access to education, so Batch, through the nonprofit, is selling his photos at $150 apiece, the cost to send one child to school. His goal was to sell 15. He has sold nearly 100. The goal has been set higher, to 1,500.
"One hundred percent of the proceeds go to getting kids sponsored for school," Batch said. "One print gets one child sponsored. A lot of stuff we did was partnered with the same organization, called New Vision Ministries. They employ the teachers and kind of have their own schooling program. You can have a kid who is 17 and in the first grade because he can't read or write. Or a kid can be lucky enough to start young and go through school in the typical American way.

"It's hard to come up with $150 in Haiti to go to school; they need that money to survive, to buy food."
If you want to help ...

Baron Batch's blog is at http://baronbatch.blogspot.com/. Those who would like to buy his photos or make donations for the Haiti school fund can find details on the blog by scrolling down to the Diary 27 post about 2ndHandImages.

Full Article (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11124/1143875-66-0.stm#ixzz1LO4WvPVa)

coldrolled
05-04-2011, 11:49 AM
like i said before if this kid reads defenses and knows the play book as good as he writes and shows his smarts. he will knock moore out this year. this is a cool pick to watch.

and he only has to be the third down back, and he is a great receiver.. so he has a shot at it...

i read they said he needs to slow down and wait for his blocks.. so im reading that means he is fast and quick off the line....

i like this pick...

86WARD
05-04-2011, 12:45 PM
As a RB, he could make the team with little preparation. At the very least, he could be a practice squad guy...a lot could depend on what the staff thinks his potential is...