PDA

View Full Version : Steelers draft - Round 4 - Cortez Allen - CB - Citadel

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2011, 02:35 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics31/400/JH/JHRJVLFNWFTRJXE.20100728144833.gif

Player ranking and stats (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1723664)

Allen played only one year of high school football, but that single season was impressive; he was named first-team all-state in Florida by the state's sportswriters (the team also included 2010 prospects RB Javarris James (Miami, Fla.), DT Linval Joseph (East Carolina), CB Sam Shields (Miami, Fla.) and 2011 prospect Ohio State senior linebacker Brian Rolle).
Allen took on the challenge of attending a military college, The Citadel. He played sparingly in four games as a true freshman, making two tackles, before redshirting the 2007 season due to injury.
Allen finally received more playing time in 2008, playing in all 12 games, starting six, making 39 tackles, two for loss and breaking up five passes. His breakout 2009 season earned him a spot on the Southern Conference's coaches second team; his 57 tackles ranked second on the team, and his three interceptions and five pass breakups led the squad.
The 2010 second-team All-Southern Conference pick (22 tackles, two INTs, five PBUs) has a build and movement quite similar to those of former Tennessee State star Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who was Arizona's first-round pick in 2008. Allen has not been as productive as "DRC" and is not quite as physical, but has prototypical height and similarly quick feet. Those attributes should get him consideration in the mid-to-late rounds.

K Train
04-30-2011, 02:37 PM
just a terrible pick in the 4th round, could have been had in the 7th if they really wanted to prvent him from going undrafted

Farrior Fan
04-30-2011, 02:42 PM
good article about him here http://www.ninersnation.com/2011/4/25/2132076/2011-nfl-draft-sleepers-cb-cortez-allen-the-citadel

--- Added 4/30/2011 at 12:42 PM ---

I really thought we were going with Davon House....he is now a Packer

connecticutsteel
04-30-2011, 02:49 PM
OBVIOUSLY THEY KNOW SOMETHING WE DONT ABOUT CORTEZ ALLEN

Farrior Fan
04-30-2011, 02:54 PM
they keep on going for the "character guys" hey he is a Steeler now so I hope he is a beast. He had a great combine, we will see what he can do vs. elite competition very soon.

--- Added 4/30/2011 at 12:54 PM ---

Ktrain - you are just pissed that it messed up your nearly perfect mock....jk

Black@Gold Forever32
04-30-2011, 03:01 PM
No Ktrain is pissed that the Steelers usually screw the pooch on the 2nd day of the draft.......I guess third day now....lol I just think some of us think Allen smells of that kind of pick....I hope Allen turns out to be a player and I will be rooting for him to beast now...lol

K Train
04-30-2011, 03:03 PM
its just too early for this kind of pick

coldrolled
04-30-2011, 03:26 PM
OBVIOUSLY THEY KNOW SOMETHING WE DONT ABOUT CORTEZ ALLEN

He was here in March obviously lake saw something there.

Butler, Brown, Allen... Lake will have a good camp.. I hope he dials them up.

Taylor signs that will be good....

Then Sign NA...

Maybe lake will convert Keenan to a Safety

Can the rest.

See you in the SB ... GB - Steeler rematch.

Zachintosh66
04-30-2011, 03:34 PM
keenan lewis... GONE

Mike Tomlin
04-30-2011, 03:40 PM
keenan lewis... GONE

I don't think anyone will miss him, he has emotional issues.

Rampage
04-30-2011, 04:02 PM
I look at him as a training camp body to put pressure on Gay and Lewis. Who knows, he might be a guy that we love a couple years down the road.

DanRooney
04-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Madison and Lewis/Gay are gone as of right now.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Madison and Lewis/Gay are gone as of right now.

Don't discount Madison so quickly, his true value for this team is on special teams, not at CB. He played at CB this year due to the lack of talent we had, but he's my favorite ST player right now for us, he consistently produces there.

igor0190
04-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Don't discount Madison so quickly, his true value for this team is on special teams, not at CB. He played at CB this year due to the lack of talent we had, but he's my favorite ST player right now for us, he consistently produces there.

Curtis Brown is supposedly an excellent special teams player... It would be nice if he can prove himself there and make Madison expendable.

Mr. Goosemahn
04-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Curtis Brown is supposedly an excellent special teams player... It would be nice if he can prove himself there and make Madison expendable.

Oh, I'd swap Madison for Brown, based purely on Brown's upside. But for Allen...I don't think so.

Mike Tomlin
04-30-2011, 11:01 PM
I think we got something good on our hands with these 2 rookie corners. Allen and Ike have some similarities they both were big fast guys with limited corner experience.Lake is going to make this guy a monster. I saw some videos of him running drills , and his back pedal was silky smooth. He turns and runs smoother than some of the top corners in the draft, i just think he lacks the knowledge at corner that the other guys have being that he didn't play in highschool.

HUNT4SEVEN
05-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Seriously when i started reading this it reminded me of Ike Taylor, then i came across this, In breaking down Allen, Dave-Te and his crew view his biggest weaknesses as his hands, stating that he has the hands to reroute passes and jam up receivers, but he struggles a bit when it comes to actually snatching interceptions out of the air. They view his biggest strength as his backpedaling skills in that initial movement off the line: For a boundary cornerback, Allen does a very nice job of disrupting the receivers before they can get into their patterns. He has that strong hand placement to tie up his man for a long time at the line of scrimmage, evident by his performances in frustrating those that dared to beat him out of the blocks in the 2009 Elon, Furman and Chattanooga clashes (on 23 passes thrown in his are vs. Chattanooga, only one was caught for more than 20 yards). He uses his length well to reach around and compete for the ball in flight, hopefully this guy turns out to be another Ike, I think Lewis should be moved to safety Gay and Madison are FA's So i wanna see what Butler, Brown and now Allen can do, I believe the hiring of Lake will help in the development of our young CB's...

Mike Tomlin
05-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Hopefully his hands are slightly better than Ike's lol! I might be mistaken but didn't the players tell the coaches to start Ike his rookie year because of how well he played in practice? I hope that's another similarity between him and Ike. I can definitely see Brown starting nickel day one. One thing we got on our side is the fact that both of these guys are natural corners. Let's hope that their both quick studies.

Tr305
05-01-2011, 05:19 AM
I think we got something good on our hands with these 2 rookie corners. Allen and Ike have some similarities they both were big fast guys with limited corner experience.Lake is going to make this guy a monster. I saw some videos of him running drills , and his back pedal was silky smooth. He turns and runs smoother than some of the top corners in the draft, i just think he lacks the knowledge at corner that the other guys have being that he didn't play in highschool.

Ike being resigned will make me feel alot more comfortable but I stand behind the dbs picked

86WARD
05-01-2011, 09:44 AM
No Ktrain is pissed that the Steelers usually screw the pooch on the 2nd day of the draft.......I guess third day now....lol I just think some of us think Allen smells of that kind of pick....I hope Allen turns out to be a player and I will be rooting for him to beast now...lol

QFT. Day 2/3 picks rarely pan out for the Steelers...he'll probably fall in that same group...

jpele
05-01-2011, 11:09 AM
To quote Carnell Lake:

"The Citadel is not a football factory," Lake said. "A lot of the work that he gets is very limited in terms of football. I asked him when he came to visit us, 'How much time do you get to work on your craft?' He said, 'I don't get a lot of time because I have to do The Citadel stuff.'

"So I said, this guy is really playing well, and he's not working on his craft that much because of his limited time. If he can spend a lot of time working on his craft, I see a lot of upside for him. I think that is one of the reasons why we selected him."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11121/1143308-66-0.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1L6rfzVuP

He may not see the field this year but I believe he will develop into a good player.

Stlrs4Life
05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Ike being resigned will make me feel alot more comfortable but I stand behind the dbs picked

Same here. If he is anything like Ike we will be OK.

steelcitysfinestXL
05-01-2011, 02:48 PM
I love this pick! Not sure he would've lasted one more round so im glad they got him when they did. Some people had higher/lower grades or projections for him, but i really thought late 4th/early 5th round and that held true.

So far this and the Heyward pick are my favorites and on the list of guys i wanted to draft!

Phenomenal TJ
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers 2011 Rookie Icebreaker: Cortez Allen

With the 128th overall pick, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected a high character football player, hailing from The Citadel, one of the United States’ military academies. In a rare move by the Steelers, they selected corner backs in back-to-back rounds, selecting Cortez Allen in the fourth round, after selecting Curtis Brown in the third.

Read the rest here. (http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/05/pittsburgh-steelers-2011-rookie-icebreaker-cortez-allen.html/)

steeldoc
05-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I just hope he can catch....but i'm slightly skeptical.:lol::lol::lol:

KemoTherapy
05-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Seems like another typical Steeler mid round reach to me. It takes more than being a good athlete to be an NFL corner. Davon House and Cannon were there for the taking. I had to google this guy because I was thinking "who the f is Cortez Allen?". Smells of Burnett and Lewis all over again.

coldrolled
05-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Seems like another typical Steeler mid round reach to me. It takes more than being a good athlete to be an NFL corner. Davon House and Cannon were there for the taking. I had to google this guy because I was thinking "who the f is Cortez Allen?". Smells of Burnett and Lewis all over again.

We shall soon see what they have in them. speed, height, the jumps cant be taught...

butler, brown, allen have this. who cares what round they are picked in...

lake needs to train them up.. and fast...

Mike Tomlin
05-02-2011, 06:26 PM
We shall soon see what they have in them. speed, height, the jumps cant be taught...

butler, brown, allen have this. who cares what round they are picked in...

lake needs to train them up.. and fast...

I totally agree this guy is totally raw and played at a school where football was an after thought. He had basically little or no real knowledge of corner but off talent alone got an invite to the combine and the senior bowl and played well. Thats got to turn on some kind of light for you.

Real Deal Steel
05-03-2011, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure that they couldn't of had this guy in the 6th round. I just really think they reached on this one. I like his measurables and all but he looks like a two/three year project at best.

My question to the drafting crew is how could you take this kid when you could have drafted Marcus Cannon??

coldrolled
05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure that they couldn't of had this guy in the 6th round. I just really think they reached on this one. I like his measurables and all but he looks like a two/three year project at best.

My question to the drafting crew is how could you take this kid when you could have drafted Marcus Cannon??

maybe because we have mcfadden and gay... oh and lewis. we need to sign ike.

they should have signed 5 CB's we have a boat load of OL...

we still need to go FA for a CB... then dump the CB trash as fast as possible.

Phenomenal TJ
05-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Just got off the phone with him...this guy is a class act, funny, articulate, just a great guy in general. Hope he performs VERY well on teh field.

Real Deal Steel
05-04-2011, 01:54 AM
maybe because we have mcfadden and gay... oh and lewis. we need to sign ike.

they should have signed 5 CB's we have a boat load of OL...

we still need to go FA for a CB... then dump the CB trash as fast as possible.

The guy is a project..won't be ready to help us this year. And we need help NOW! But our O-line isn't a finished project either and I think the better value was Cannon at the time of the selection because Cannon could give us help/depth now.

But if they don't get CB help in free agency, the secondary will be open like a 7-11 store regardless of the Allen selection.

Gay is a bum and Mcfadden underachieved at best.

Phenomenal TJ
05-04-2011, 04:37 AM
The guy is a project..won't be ready to help us this year. And we need help NOW! But our O-line isn't a finished project either and I think the better value was Cannon at the time of the selection because Cannon could give us help/depth now.

Cannon's currently undergoing chemotherapy for non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He wouldn't have given us either one of those things until the 2012-2013 season at best.

connecticutsteel
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
keenan lewis... GONE

e sanders will miss him there best friends unfortunatly he dont have e sanders talent

Mike Tomlin
05-04-2011, 12:53 PM
e sanders will miss him there best friends unfortunatly he dont have e sanders talent

Him and Mike Wallace are friends from New Orleans , but even Mike said he's not been the same guy he knew. I think his confidence is shook up bad and that's not a good thing for a corner.