PDA

View Full Version : Cameron Heyward: Outlook and Expectations

K Train
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
I thought i would start doing this for the draft picks....give a personal report on the picks, their skills, roles, and expectations for the future.

All along i have viewed Cameron Heyward as the best 3-4 Defensive End prospect in the draft. He is easily one of the top 10 senior prospects and would fall around 10-12 in my overall ratings. He has elite intangibles, bloodlines, size, and commitment to the game. At 6-5 nearly 300 pounds he has both the length and bulk to be a true master of the 5 tech position, one of the hardest positions to play in a 34 defense.

He fell in the draft to slot 31 because other potential 5 techs such as JJ Watt. Cam Jordan, and Muhummad Wilkerson made it somewhat rare class of 34 lineman. All of them are better pass rushers than Heyward, but we already have a player in that mold in hood. What the steelers got here is a replacement for Aaron smith, something i would never have confidence in hood to become. Hood does have better pass rushing skills that have him very well suited for Keisels spot on the right side, making this pick even more perfect.

As a rookie i dont expect him to be anything more than a rotational player by design, but you never know with Smith and Keisels injuries he may get a considerable amount of playing time. Heyward makes the secondary better by a considerable amount, so those of you too concerned with drafting a corner just think about this....a player that benefits from a true 5 tech on the LE spot is the LOLB, so i would expect woodley (or whoever) to truly be much better in this scenerio than if it were hood. Hood has the ability to penetrate and get pressure, Heyward has the ability to stonewall blockers, sustain blocks, and collapse the pocket.

Seriously, a good day to be a steeler fan, lets hope im this excited after rounds 2 and 3

cmerrifield
04-29-2011, 10:37 AM
Thanks Train, I always enjoy reading your take on the draft class. Steelersdepot said that Eason played over 500 snaps last year, so Heyward may get a significant amount of playing time this year.

LarryNJ
04-29-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't comment much on draft choices or potential ones basically because I have no clue. But I certainly enjoy reading your post and respect your opinions. Your passion and love of analyzing future talent shows in all your post.

Thanks and keep up the great work! :)

Rampage
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm with you bro, I love the pick. I didn't figure Heyward would drop, but I had him pretty high on my big board. Very happy to see him in the black and gold. I am salivating thinking about the front of Woodley - Heyward - Hampton - Hood - Harrison. Tackles around the AFC North will have to brush up on their holding techniques.

andyg1984
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
good summary ... i really love this pick .. had him in the top 20 and thought there was no way in hell he would fall to 31 ..

roosterray
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
I like the pickup. I also agree that our DL didn't do well last year to help the LB's which makes our secondary better. That's how we are built. When Smith was playing we were DOMINANT. Once he went down, things changed. We've seen it before. Woodley also took a step back. I hope this turns out in the end so we can return to form. For a team that was up and down most of the year. I hope today turns out where we can get 2 CBs next to shore up poor coverage guys in Gay and McFadden.

We really need help on the Oline as Cleveland and Balt defense get tougher. Sad to Say but CLE made out with that trade yesterday. But I still think Holmgren drafts for finesse so we'll see what they do.

K Train
04-29-2011, 11:52 AM
i just want to stand on top of a mountain and scream i love cameron heyward

SteelDad
04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Nice thing about this pick is that we can now go with Keisel, Ziggy, Hampton, A-Smith, Eason, Hoke and the rookie in a very nice little rotation. Nice write-up Ktrain!

Black@Gold Forever32
04-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Heyward was one of the few players that I liked at 31 and the reasons are which you stated in your summary..........Smith is on his last legs and Keisel is at an age to were the wheels can start to come off.....So Heyward had to be the pick no doubt when he was still there at 31......

LatrobePA
04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I love this pick and feel he could be hard to keep off the field...

Oh yea, thanks for the time you put in posting your insight.

connecticutsteel
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm with you bro, I love the pick. I didn't figure Heyward would drop, but I had him pretty high on my big board. Very happy to see him in the black and gold. I am salivating thinking about the front of Woodley - Heyward - Hampton - Hood - Harrison. Tackles around the AFC North will have to brush up on their holding techniques.

QUADRUPLE H I LOVE IT OR EVANDER AND THE HOOD'S ITS ON I CANT WAIT BRING ON THE RAVENS AND THERE JUNKIE CRIMINAL CB SMITH:nahnah: HEYWARD HAMPTON HOOD HARRISON HOKE HINES AND IMAGINE HOUSE AND HENERY LOL

Farrior Fan
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
I am going to admit that I was dissapointed when we took him, because I don't follow Big 10 football. But I trust ya'lls analysis and as I am sitting in a parking lot eating my lunch reading this post, Renegade just came on the radio! It is fate, he is going to be a stud!

--- Added 4/29/2011 at 11:15 AM ---

looks like Coach T and Colbert are giddy. Ok I'm sold on him... http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-happily-pick-Heyward-No-1/3e0443e1-f802-481b-a7cf-b39f57e92903

tburg68
04-29-2011, 05:15 PM
This is not only good quality at #31, it is a good fit for the Steelers defense. Hood and Heyward should anchor the ends for several years.

As a Michigan Wolverine fan, I can tell you I got tired of seeing Heyward stonewall the Wolverine D-Line for four years in a row. I am now a Heyward fan, because he is now a Steeler.

Well done Steelers, and well done K Train.

coach
04-29-2011, 05:40 PM
I was actually getting nervous when the Giants took PA as NE was rumoured to be interested in Heyward with their second pick and I thought he and Williams could both be gone and we would have chioces like Jimmy Smith (I am glad the rats took him) or Clayborn. 31 is like being stuck between the dog and the fire hydrant, but this pick sets up second round where we can wait and take best DB there w/o giving away too many late round picks to movw up unless we see another slide. I am fine with trading up but I think we can get help late in this draft if the players fall the right way. I could see Pettis or Henery and I know you guys have all mentioned options that you want to see late as well.

K, if Butler is as good as you think he is, our secondary might be on track, but I think we have to go DB in round 2.

JollyRob68
04-29-2011, 06:16 PM
K Train I love your Threads/Post as always. All of us may have different opinions but we all know when we took The Best Future Steeler Available. No Question as the board played out it was a 5 tech with Mike Tomlins favorite word "BLOODLINES" AS THE PICK.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-30-2011, 08:50 AM
From what I read the Steelers were hoping that Heyward would drop to them all along, and that possibly they were willing to trade up if they felt someone was going to take him. The DL has been ignored for a long time up until Hood came in 2009, so this group was/is due for an infusion of youth for the future. We are fortunate that all 3 starters now, when healthy, are still as good as it gets in the league. It's rare to see 3 guys over 30 playing so well together, especially with the limited rotation they had available last year. When Smith went down again last year it was the best thing that could have happened to Ziggy Hood. He got a boatload of experience and we can feel confident in his ability now.

I'm hoping Heyward makes an immediate impact but I suspect he'll mainly be a rotation player this year unless injuries happen, like K train mentioned.

Nick Eason is on the hot seat right now.

JollyRob68
05-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Nick Eason is a free agent.