PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want; offensive or defensive guy ?

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 02:25 AM
There's a ton of names out there as potential candidates for our head coaching job; but all names aside, would you rather see an offensive minded coach or a defensive minded one?

Koopa
01-07-2007, 02:28 AM
well the only offensive coach i'd want is whiz, other then that i think we should go with a defensive guy

K Train
01-07-2007, 02:28 AM
i want some whos a good guy to come in and coach our team to victory while still implying a hardcore, smashmouth style football pittsburgh is used to...i just wanna win i dont care how, although i would like big ben to have a break out year and quiet the critics

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2007, 02:34 AM
I want an offensive minded guy. The Steelers have a ton of experience on the defensive side of the ball and still have LeBeau as DC.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 02:34 AM
Im not totally sure really. If you get a defensive minded coach you tend to get a real tough, hard nosed, guy who really helps install that killer attitude. If you get an offensive guy sometimes you don't get a real tough, hard nosed, kind of team.

There are exceptions of course, so I could pretty go either way at this point. I'd probably lean more towards a defensive guy though at this point just simply from past experience. Losing a good HC like Whiz then would really put a damper on things.

Koopa
01-07-2007, 02:38 AM
i'm kinda leaning to i want whiz as the head coach, he knows what steeler football is, so we don't have to worry about getting soft, but he also has a good relationship with our franchise qb, and he knows his stuff when it comes to running a good offense

SteelersWoman
01-07-2007, 03:26 AM
I think I'd like a good balanced coach--who knows the benefits of offensive AND defensive style. If you have a good balance, I don't see how you can lose.

steelcurtain09
01-07-2007, 12:51 PM
id want a guy who is a hard-nosed defensive minded coach tht also knows the offensive side of the ball
the hard-noseness (yay a new word) would translate into a hard-noseness on the offensive side of the ball

Prosdo
01-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I'd like to see a tough defensive coach. Also a coach who will try to bring the Steelers back to their smash mouth football style.

DIESELMAN
01-07-2007, 07:27 PM
with the talent we have on offense we need someone to gear it up a couple of notches. With LeBeau on defense, a couple of OLB's in the draft we're good on D. Get a offense minded guy in here to make us explode!!!!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2007, 07:55 PM
with the talent we have on offense we need someone to gear it up a couple of notches. With LeBeau on defense, a couple of OLB's in the draft we're good on D. Get a offense minded guy in here to make us explode!!!!!

:iagree:

Exactly Tom and I agree. We have enough experience on defense and with LeBeau as DC we will be fine. As for the offense and all of its potential it would be nice to have an offensive minded HC to get the most out of our offense.

AZ_Steeler
01-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Defense wins championships and can help a team win a game in the event the offense sputters IMO

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Defense wins championships and can help a team win a game in the event the offense sputters IMO

I agree but the Steelers have a ton of experience on defense and still have LeBeau as DC so I think the defense will be alright.

Steelerlyn
01-08-2007, 01:13 PM
I only want a choice based on what's good for the long term future of
the team as opposed to prioritizing continuity for next year. So perhaps
that means Whiz or Grimm, and perhaps not. But I'm guessing an outside
candidate wouldn't end up keeping Lebeau and that would be a downside in my mind.

Defense Wins Championships, Offense Sells Tickets

TEEMONT
01-08-2007, 01:38 PM
I want to see a coach who is more of a motivator, like Cowher, but with a penchant for picking good coordinators, like Cowher. I think if Whiz is hired he is going to want to have too much control of the offense. Grimm seems like he is a motivator, and that's what these players will respnd to.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 03:27 PM
if he's a motivator, why did are offenseive line suck complete ***??

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Well Koop I think Grimm deserves some blame. But it was clear that Jeff Hartings is ready for retirement. I don't think Kendall Simmons has ever been the same since his illness and tearing his ACL. The there is Max Starks and well he just sucks. We all read that Grimm wanted to make changes especially at RT. But Cowher rejected the changes.

Just saying Grimm only can do so much with that starting unit.

Koopa
01-08-2007, 03:44 PM
but he's learned to much from cowher, and i just feel he's gonna suck in games when it matters, sure he's gonna have a nice regular season record but i could care less about that, it's all about the playoffs something cowher ****ing sucked at and something he lucked into a winning record with this last playoff run

Black@Gold Forever32
01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
but he's learned to much from cowher, and i just feel he's gonna suck in games when it matters, sure he's gonna have a nice regular season record but i could care less about that, it's all about the playoffs something cowher ****ing sucked at and something he lucked into a winning record with this last playoff run

I agree with you about Grimm as HC. Just saying I still think he is a good Oline coach and that the struggles with the OLine shouldn't be placed just on him. He should take some blame but the players like Starks and Simmons have to be held accountable for their average to poor play this year. As for Jeff Hartings his age caught up to him thats all.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-08-2007, 04:11 PM
On the flip side so, perhaps Grimm has his own ideas about how things should be done, but always had to defer to BC. Perhaps if he is named he'll change things up just enough that we'll be back on track real quick. You just never know...

Koopa
01-08-2007, 04:12 PM
oh i know lol.......he's been around that playoff bum to long, he's gonna choke in big games i just know it

SteelerDan43
01-08-2007, 04:19 PM
I would prefer a defensive minded guy from outside the organization. Someone outside outside the organization that brings a new view of the team and players to the table as I think after a long time you can be complacent with your team and not be willing to make any changes. But I would also like to keep the defense first mentality. Basically Im saying hire Rivera