PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin on the interview list for Steelers HC

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 01:20 AM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07007/751992-66.stm

Sunday, January 07, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have received permission to interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin for their head coaching position.

Tomlin, 34, finished his first season directing the Vikings' defense. He joined them last year after coaching the defensive backs at Tampa Bay the previous five years. He also coached the Cincinnati Bengals' defensive backs in 1999 and 2000.

Before he became an NFL assistant, he was an assistant coach at three different colleges from 1995 through 1998. He played wide receiver at William & Mary.

Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga met in Pittsburgh last night with Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt to talk about the head coaching job in Miami. Huizenga was joined by Joe Bailey, the Dolphins' chief executive officer, and club president Bryan Wiedmeier.

If I remember right, the Vikings defense was #1 against the run this year so this guy knows his stuff.

K Train
01-07-2007, 01:22 AM
:lol: tomlinson huh? MVP season to head coaching he really can do it all :lol:

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 03:12 AM
You do not want Tomlin here. This is nothing more then a couresty interview :)

SteelersWoman
01-07-2007, 05:52 AM
You do not want Tomlin here....

I don't know anything about him (other than what I read from that interview) so I'm curious to know what makes ya say that Philly?

House of Steel
01-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Tomlinson, Matt? Ummmmmmm....I was trying to figure this one out and then found out it was an error. We need to combine these threads here, this is the third thread on Tomlin. He is a joke, I wouldn't want him on the sideline for us.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 11:11 AM
This one did strike me as a bit out of the ordinary since his name wasn't brought up in the last week as being on the list. He did run a helluva defense last year though so we'll see.

Blitzburgh55
01-07-2007, 11:26 AM
NO WAY JOSE

STICK TO RIVERA AND WHIZ

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I don't know anything about him (other than what I read from that interview) so I'm curious to know what makes ya say that Philly?

Just a hunch. Cowher let it be known last year after the SB. That he was thinking of retiring. I think the Rooney's already know who they want to be the next coach. They are just going through the process. Wis miami? My money is still on Grimm.

Koopa
01-07-2007, 01:22 PM
i will wish for a 0-16 season if grimm is the head coach......**** i hate the idea of that fat *** second coming of cowher, and that's not a good thing, we will play tight in big games and **** like that **** that fat ****, it better be ****ing whiz

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 01:36 PM
You know this how Koopa? Dreaming again? :lol:

Koopa
01-07-2007, 01:53 PM
he's been with cowher to long, and look at him, he's fat, fat coaches suck lol...and he looks like andy reid, that's not a good thing, andy reid sucks too......**** grimm, we need whiz as our head coach....

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 02:10 PM
well Wis might have one foot out the door. If reports out of Miami are true....

Koopa
01-07-2007, 02:12 PM
well then **** him, i hope the dolphins don't listen to him and he fails and gets fired half way through the season and then joins quincy carter in the crack house

he is a complete ****ing idiot if he'd chose ****** teams over the steelers, and the ****ing ronneys need to sale the team if they make russ grimm the head coach

K Train
01-07-2007, 02:13 PM
time to change your sig again koopa lol

Koopa
01-07-2007, 02:14 PM
so did he really sign with them??? damn i hope his nuts fall off

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Koopa quit whining. Cause the Steelers will not hire first choice. :lol:

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Don't believe anything you hear about Whiz going anywhere just yet. The guy hasn't even done all his interviews yet, so just relax. Miami is jumping the if they are saying anything about this.

Captcoolhand
01-07-2007, 02:48 PM
:evilshake: Well, isn't this some ****!
I started this same post this morning (around 9am) and now, I find it's been deleted.:scratch:
Oh, wait a minute, it's back but now under someone else's name.:wtf:

Steelerlyn
01-07-2007, 02:56 PM

Tomlin joined the Vikings this year after 5 years in Tampa, highly regarded coach under Dungy and Gruden, knows secondary play very well and will probably look to institute a form of cover-2 if he gets to Pittsburgh.

House of Steel
01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
I started this same post this morning (around 9am) and now, I find it's been deleted.:scratch:

:hijack: :hijack: :hijack: Look at him bitching again. Would someone please list this character as the official Whining Bitch of SA?

Getting back on the subject, I just think Tomlin is being interview to furfill the Rooney Rule.

Koopa
01-07-2007, 03:22 PM
again, rivera is hispanic, so they don't need tomlin to be that guy

House of Steel
01-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I think the Steelers Rep flew to Chicago yesterday to interview Ron Rivera and speak with him. I haven't heard how it went or anything else. You have any news on this Koopa? I have to admit, I wouldn't mind this guy coming in and running our team.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 03:24 PM

Dude, this thread was started well before yours went up. It's just forum maintenance to keep everything together and not have duplicate threads because it waters down the conversations. Just take a quick search around before you post up news to make sure somebody else didnt already post it.

Go have another drink ! :banana:

Captcoolhand
01-07-2007, 03:41 PM
:blah: :blah: :blah: Whatever!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Go have another drink :banana:

SteelersfaninPhilly
01-07-2007, 03:45 PM
You know capt does not need another drink. Maybe a 12 step program. :lol:

Friday133
01-07-2007, 06:49 PM
i think tomlin is going to be the guy. he fits the mold of both cowher and noll before him.

Ambridge
01-07-2007, 06:50 PM
If I remember right, the Vikings defense was #1 against the run this year so this guy knows his stuff.

You're correct #1 against the Run in the league but Dead last #16 in the NFC in pass defense and maybe 11th or 12th in the entire league.

Pass on Tomlin.

Friday133
01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
ever think it was the players and not the coach that got that 16th ranking?

Ambridge
01-07-2007, 07:01 PM
ever think it was the players and not the coach that got that 16th ranking?

I thought about it but I'm one of those silly people who believes good/great coaches get players to perform above their ability.

A #16 pass defense in the pathetic NFC isn't a very encouraging sign.

Friday133
01-07-2007, 07:03 PM
they also had a pretty ****** secondary as well. i wonder what the great bill cowher's defensive rankings were when he was with KC?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2007, 07:04 PM
I thought about it but I'm one of those silly people who believes good/great coaches get players to perform above their ability.

A #16 pass defense in the pathetic NFC isn't a very encouraging sign.

I think it goes hand to hand. The coaches need the right players to be successful. Plus the players need the right coaches to get the most out of their talents.

Koopa
01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
then russ grimm isn't a good coach, cause our oline has sucked for years, it had one good year and that was last year, but it's sucked for some time now

Ambridge
01-07-2007, 08:22 PM
they also had a pretty ****** secondary as well. i wonder what the great bill cowher's defensive rankings were when he was with KC?

Fred Smoot and Antoine Winfield aren't exactly chopped liver in the Minnesota secondary.

Bill Cowher's defensive rankings when in KC.

1989-#1 in the AFC total defense and second overall in the NFL.
1990-KC defense led league with 60 sacks, 25 fumbles recovered and 45 takeaways.
1991-#3 in AFC defense and #5 overall NFL defense.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2007, 08:32 PM
then russ grimm isn't a good coach, cause our oline has sucked for years, it had one good year and that was last year, but it's sucked for some time now

I think the Oline was pretty good in 2004 Koop. They were a big reason why the team was 15-1 along with the defense. That was also with Keydrick Vincent at RG since Kendall Simmons was lost in training camp with a torn ACL. Then at RT we had Oliver Ross. Not really house hold names there Koop but Grimm still got the most out of that whole group.

In 2005 the Oline was solid but I think overall the 2004 Oline was better. This year the Oline was much like the 2003 unit. At least the 2003 unit had an excuse with injuries. Alan Faneca played LT some games in 2003 due to Smith being hurt. I think the weakness of the Oline the last two years has been Max Starks. Its not Grimm's fault that Starks has continued to suck ***.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Considering the injuries to our OL over the last few years, he's done a pretty decent job if you ask me. Sure they didnt play well for 2/3 of the season this year, but the whole team didn't in general so we can't judge him too much this year alone.

Koopa
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
oh that's what i meant, 2004, but they were alright last year, and sucked in 2003, and was overrated in 2002......we just have an overrated oline, and russ grimm sucks ***, we will not win with him, we'll win games but it'll end up like cowher, a bust when it matters........**** grimm and **** cowher for being a complete failure when it really mattered, we wouldn't have beat the bengals if it wasn't for a torn up knee, and we would've lost the superbowl if it wasn't for whiz play calling

Black@Gold Forever32
01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
oh that's what i meant, 2004, but they were alright last year, and sucked in 2003, and was overrated in 2002......we just have an overrated oline, and russ grimm sucks ***, we will not win with him, we'll win games but it'll end up like cowher, a bust when it matters........**** grimm and **** cowher for being a complete failure when it really mattered, we wouldn't have beat the bengals if it wasn't for a torn up knee, and we would've lost the superbowl if it wasn't for whiz play calling

Calm down killer. I prefer Whiz also. Just saying Grimm is a good Oline coach but I agree he wouldn't make a great head coach. As for the Steelers Oline being over-rated. Again I agree the Steelers Oline always has done a great job of run blocking but they have been average at best when it comes to pass protection.

But Grimm only can take so much blame for the Oline's short comings. The players like Max Starks also have to be held accountable for their lack of progress in their game.

Koopa
01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
well, actually i read, i think in the post-gazette that he did try to change the line, but everyone's hero wouldn't let him