PDA

View Full Version : Flozell Adams wants to play in 2011

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2011, 05:38 PM
This is great news, what I was hoping would happen all along...

Ed: Steelers Flozell Adams Plans to Play (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109444-ed-steelers-flozell-adams-plans-to-play)

Thursday, 21 April 2011 13:49
Written by Ed Bouchette http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdXMuc2l0ZXMucG9zdC1nYXpldHRlLmNvb S9pbmRleC5waHAvcHJvLXNwb3J0cy9zdGVlbGVycy8xMDk0NDQ tZWQtc3RlZWxlcnMtZmxvemVsbC1hZGFtcy1wbGFucy10by1wb GF5)

Tackle Flozell Adams, under contract to the Steelers through 2011, plans to play next season. There has been speculation on whether Adams, 36, will retire after playing last season with the Steelers. But his agent says that is not the case.
“Flo is planning on playing,’’ Jordan Woy told the Post-Gazette in an email today. “We will need to talk to Pitt (once lock out ends) and determine his role and if it will be with the Steelers.’’

In other words, Adams doesn’t want to be a backup. He wants to stay right where he was last season, as their starting right tackle. It’s no secret the Steelers will pursue a tackle in the draft next week, but that could work out perfectly for them. Adams could finish out his contract with the Steelers and start the 2011 season at right tackle, and any young tackle they might draft could have a year playing behind him.

Root4Stlrs
04-21-2011, 05:43 PM
This is great news, what I was hoping would happen all along...

Ed: Steelers Flozell Adams Plans to Play (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109444-ed-steelers-flozell-adams-plans-to-play)

Thursday, 21 April 2011 13:49
Written by Ed Bouchette http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdXMuc2l0ZXMucG9zdC1nYXpldHRlLmNvb S9pbmRleC5waHAvcHJvLXNwb3J0cy9zdGVlbGVycy8xMDk0NDQ tZWQtc3RlZWxlcnMtZmxvemVsbC1hZGFtcy1wbGFucy10by1wb GF5)

Tackle Flozell Adams, under contract to the Steelers through 2011, plans to play next season. There has been speculation on whether Adams, 36, will retire after playing last season with the Steelers. But his agent says that is not the case.
“Flo is planning on playing,’’ Jordan Woy told the Post-Gazette in an email today. “We will need to talk to Pitt (once lock out ends) and determine his role and if it will be with the Steelers.’’

In other words, Adams doesn’t want to be a backup. He wants to stay right where he was last season, as their starting right tackle. It’s no secret the Steelers will pursue a tackle in the draft next week, but that could work out perfectly for them. Adams could finish out his contract with the Steelers and start the 2011 season at right tackle, and any young tackle they might draft could have a year playing behind him.

I think this is great news, as well. I liked Flozell from the beginning, but after he tried to go back on the field even though he was sick as a dog and throwing up in the locker room, I have liked him even more.

LatrobePA
04-21-2011, 06:40 PM
And Jordan Palmer wants to be a starter! lol

Sorry I just felt like saying that, Flo will have to compete I have a feeling, T won't just hand any job out IMO...

K Train
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
if he has to compete with colon hes already won, they actually might try out colon at guard.

i would expect them to draft a guard or tackle in the first 3 rounds still

Steel Trap86
04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
I never liked Colon

Flozell giving it one more shot is excellent news.

Root4Stlrs
04-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Judging from their previous success in drafting offensive linemen I'd say Flo doesn't have to worry about losing his starting job to a rookie - Pouncey being the recent exception. Even picking in the first round - who in their right mind would draft a tackle from NCCU? That was one of the worst picks of all time. And we know how much Urbik and Hills have contributed.

K Train
04-21-2011, 08:47 PM
was that a jamaine stephens name drop there? lol

connecticutsteel
04-21-2011, 08:51 PM
this is great news the only thing that is troubling is that it sounds like he wants to start not compete for a job and i dont think tomlin kugler or anyone else is just handing out starting jobs:2cents::2cents:

bensshoes
04-21-2011, 09:22 PM
this is great news the only thing that is troubling is that it sounds like he wants to start not compete for a job and i dont think tomlin kugler or anyone else is just handing out starting jobs:2cents::2cents:

agreed! while he'd probably win the job he still has too this is the Steel city they don't just hand us championships we earn them here!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2011, 09:35 PM

Oh man, I remember that draft. He was larger than life but my God he couldn't play worth a damn.

At this point Adams knows he's the best RT we have on the team, no question. I would still draft one in the first 3 rounds like Ktrain mentioned and like I've been saying all along. Move Colon to Guard and let him compete with Foster. Let Adams play at RT and finish out his contract so the draft pick can step in 2012.

It's as simple as that..LOL

Rampage
04-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Good. I would love to see Adams back. I've never understood some of the hype for Colon; I've considered him to be a mediocre tackle at best.

connecticutsteel
04-22-2011, 01:01 PM
colon is solid a notch above mediocre

Rampage
04-22-2011, 01:11 PM
colon is solid a notch above mediocre

Aside from being fat, I have not seen him excel at anything.

K Train
04-22-2011, 01:18 PM
hes a tremendous drive blocker...you might not see anything special but im sure mendenhall does

airbrake 1
04-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I am glad to hear this...he got off to a shaky start last season while learning how to play from the right tackle position after playing his entire career on the left side...but after that learning curve he was pretty solid all year...to bad the steelers weren't able to close the deal last season and get a super bowl ring for flozell...but i'm pretty sure getting that close to winning a championship last season and knowing that he should be playing on a team that will contend again will fuel his fire to get back to SB 46 and close the deal this time...I really like the guy a total team player... GO STEELERS

igor0190
04-22-2011, 02:06 PM
A healthy Colon at right guard would make me happy.

Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Colon-Flozell

Foster being a solid backup at guard, and the Steelers drafting Florida's Marcus Gilbert in the 2nd to take over at RT next year.

K Train
04-22-2011, 02:18 PM
getting pouncey and gilbert and having 3/5ths of floridas NC oline would be a delight.

this year would be starks, kemo, pouncey, pouncey, flo

next year starks, kemo, pouncey, pouncey, gilbert....4 gators lol

in all seriousness i dont think colon is gonna be that good at guard, he and foster are kind of exactly the same kinds of athletes for the position. he'll be a hell of a run blocker next to flo though

Root4Stlrs
04-22-2011, 04:37 PM

Yes, I'm afraid so. Sorry to bring him up, but I have never gotten over watching him play. He was so unbelievably bad and he was in horrible physical shape. I realize that people will make mistakes in the draft, but do you have any idea whatever motivated them to take him in the first place?

HUNT4SEVEN
04-25-2011, 06:55 PM
A healthy Colon at right guard would make me happy.
Starks-Kemo-Pouncey-Colon-Flozell

Foster being a solid backup at guard, and the Steelers drafting Florida's Marcus Gilbert in the 2nd to take over at RT next year.:clap: I like this Secnario

But i would love to see this
next year starks, kemo, pouncey, pouncey, gilbert:tt02:

I haven't been into this off season that much this year mainly because of the lockout, but i'm still upset at us giving away the Superbowl :banging: I just hope this lock out ends soon and we have a great draft this year, we cannot afford to have another draft like we did that year we drafted Frank the Stank errr Tank

connecticutsteel
04-25-2011, 09:43 PM
big flo got a tribute at the super bowl and all those seasons of mediocraty in dallas hes got super bowl fever i think he will play regardless if he starts or not

Real Deal Steel
04-27-2011, 12:13 AM
I want Flozell on the bench for depth. But I don't want him to start anymore. Not that he played that bad, but we just need to start adding youth to that line.

K Train
04-27-2011, 10:50 AM
he would likely be a rotational player

Mike Tomlin
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Could you imagine Key/ Pouncey/ Canon/ Flozell in the running game? I guess you can plug anybody between Flo and Pouncey but I think it should be a rookie.