View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger's daily reminder

BlitzburghRockCity
04-18-2011, 12:09 AM
On the Steelers: Roethlisberger has daily reminder
Sunday, April 17, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201104/20110417steelers_330.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Ben Roethlisberger has your typical game room for a pro athlete, complete with memorabilia that includes the two nameplates over his locker from each Super Bowl victory.
The nameplate from his most recent Super Bowl appearance also has a place of honor -- in his bathroom.
"The day I got back, I took my nameplate from my locker -- 'Ben Roethlisberger, Super Bowl XLV' -- and it's sitting underneath my mirror in my bathroom. I want to see that every day. It hurts a lot.
"To see that every day is just motivation for me to work out, to bust my butt to not let it happen again because I want to be a champion. And, right now, I'm not a champion."
For more than two months, he has had to look at the loser nameplate, to think about how close he and his teammates came to winning a third. He does not want the pain from that loss to subside.
"The first loser, and that kills me. Until I can get back to that point, I want to remember the pain, and it's going to burn in me until we can get back and win one. If it never happens, I'll be killed, but I'm going to do my best to get back there."
The two Super Bowl rings Roethlisberger already owns did not salve the pain of losing his shot at a third. He wants to go down as the quarterback with the most championship rings, and there are only so many chances to add to it.
"I want to get one more than anybody else,'' he said. "This would have been a great step, but now I feel I took a step back. This will haunt me until I can win another one. And it'll still probably haunt me a little bit. But until I win another one, it'll haunt me a lot."
Terry Bradshaw wrote in one of his many books that fear of losing a Super Bowl drove him more than the desire to win one. He and Joe Montana are the leaders in the quarterbacks' clubhouse with four Super Bowl victories apiece.
Roethlisberger figures he is in the middle of his career -- that's seven seasons down, seven or eight or maybe even nine to go. He turned 29 last month. If he's lucky, he could squeeze out a career until he's 38, especially the way he takes a pounding.
"Lord willing, I hope so. This will be my eighth. I mean 16 years is a long, good career. Eight years is long considering the normal life expectancy in this game. If I'm lucky enough and my body's still intact and that's what I'm supposed to do, I'll play as long as I can. I'd like to call it halfway."
If it is, and if he continues the phenomenal success he has had in his first seven seasons, he would wipe out all the Steelers passing records -- and add to those he already owns. The passing records are not the ones he wants.
"I couldn't tell you right now how many yards I had last year, how many touchdowns. I can't tell you. I don't know those things. I don't know what my career touchdowns or yards or anything are. I'd have to look them up.
"The records I want to have are Super Bowl wins and wins in general. If I can have more wins than any other Steelers quarterback -- I should say Terry because he's so high -- but those wins are huge to me."
After his four-game suspension to start last season, he guided the Steelers to a 9-3 record. That brought his regular-season record to 69-29, a .704 percentage that ranks second among active quarterbacks behind Tom Brady's .776. The youngest quarterback to win a Super Bowl is 10-3 in the post-season.
Bradshaw's record as a starter was 107-51 from 1970 through 1983, ninth best in NFL history. Brett Favre has the most victories with a record of 186-112 in 20 seasons. Roethlisberger is tied for 46th.
If this is the halfway point in Roethlisberger's career, getting to another three Super Bowls and winning two of them would go down as quite an accomplishment.
"That's what I want to be known for," Roethlisberger said, "winning games, winning Super Bowls."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11107/1139833-66-0.stm#ixzz1JqQ1zCNi

Phenomenal TJ
04-18-2011, 03:31 AM
Ben Roethlisberger Relives Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl Loss Daily

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has started in three Super Bowls, winning two of them, but that doesn’t stop the stinging pain of the one that got away. In his most recent Super Bowl outing, Super Bowl XLV, Roethlisberger saw his first loss in the big game.

http://www.steelerschronicle.com/2011/04/ben-roethlisberger-relives-pittsburgh-steelers-super-bowl-loss-daily.html/

LatrobePA
04-18-2011, 09:42 AM
He played lousy he should be pissed...Lets hope he can come out this season strong!

ejsteeler
04-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Good, he needs to focus on it. Lets hope the secondary is focusing as well.

Rampage
04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Good. Maybe he and Neil can get together and reminisce about falling apart in the big one.

LatrobePA
04-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Good. Maybe he and Neil can get together and reminisce about falling apart in the big one.

$$$$$ LMAO!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
This is exactly what you want to hear from a team that lost the Super Bowl. Ben has the right attitude even in the offseason. Making sure that every day when you wake up that you remember how close you game to that 7th trophy.

Regardless of how well or not well Ben played in that game, there's no way we would have even gotten to the game without him. He has clearly matured and put more responsibility on his shoulders.

LatrobePA
04-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Regardless of how well or not well Ben played in that game, there's no way we would have even gotten to the game without him. He has clearly matured and put more responsibility on his shoulders.

I agree 100%, he came up big...

Clevelandsux
04-18-2011, 07:32 PM
The whole team played lousy. No big plays on defense, no forced turnovers. 3 turnovers on offense, one missed fg. A bunch of stupid penalties.

DIESELMAN
04-19-2011, 07:46 AM
He should've hung the name plate above the toilet, considering how he played, that's the best place for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LatrobePA
04-19-2011, 10:21 AM
The whole team played lousy. No big plays on defense, no forced turnovers. 3 turnovers on offense, one missed fg. A bunch of stupid penalties.

The game had a flat feel to it from opening KO....2 months and I still can't watch NFLC or even think about it!! lol

steelersbabex25
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM
I thought he was gonna say it's in the bathroom cause he pisses on it everyday :dunno:

LatrobePA
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I thought he was gonna say it's in the bathroom cause he pisses on it everyday :dunno:

Going #1 on it is being nice IMO! lol

airbrake 1
04-19-2011, 07:32 PM
I now understand why some players who give their all, sometimes become disenfranchised and get a bad taste in their mouths for ungrateful fans...did ben have a great SB 45 no but did he single handedly lose the game... no way...exactly how many QB's have the led the steelers to super bowl victories between bradshaw and roethlisberger...ben gets here and we win 2 and get to another one...I cant wait until he's gone and we are stuck looking for another great QB...perhaps then after another 26 year super bowl drought all those ingrates will finally be thankful for what we have...but i won't count on it...These same people who pile on ben are the same type of pricks who tried to run mark andre fleury out of town earlier this year..GET a life ingrates

bensshoes
04-19-2011, 07:42 PM
I now understand why some players who give their all, sometimes become disenfranchised and get a bad taste in their mouths for ungrateful fans...did ben have a great SB 45 no but did he single handedly lose the game... no way...exactly how many QB's have the led the steelers to super bowl victories between bradshaw and roethlisberger...ben gets here and we win 2 and get to another one...I cant wait until he's gone and we are stuck looking for another great QB...perhaps then after another 26 year super bowl drought all those ingrates will finally be thankful for what we have...but i won't count on it...These same people who pile on ben are the same type of pricks who tried to run mark andre fleury out of town earlier this year..GET a life ingrates

I agree with you, Ben didn't start out bad in this game and the horrible field seriously hurt or injured both teams on an early pass attempt Ben hyperextened his left or plant leg then lost E Sanders im not being a Steeler whiner the Pack lost players too that field also I applaud Ben and the Steelers for what they give us year in and year out.

Thank You!

connecticutsteel
04-21-2011, 12:03 AM
i blame the super bowl loss not on ben or any one player he didnt have his best game by far but it i think we are really lucky to have ben id rather have ben than rivers or manning for sure niether one of those guys can make a play out of nothing like ben can im glad that he cares enough about the fans to wanna win can u imagine if we had some one else

bensshoes
04-21-2011, 02:42 AM
i blame the super bowl loss not on ben or any one player he didnt have his best game by far but it i think we are really lucky to have ben id rather have ben than rivers or manning for sure niether one of those guys can make a play out of nothing like ben can im glad that he cares enough about the fans to wanna win can u imagine if we had some one else

well said!

Speeed
04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
The game had a flat feel to it from opening KO....2 months and I still can't watch NFLC or even think about it!! lol

I agree, I posted too afterward about the lack of turnovers, forced plays, completions, clutch plays, hell, even a big Harrison tackle would have been great. On the flip side, I don't think Green Bay played a SB quality game either. Even though half their team was hurt, and they played an average game at best, they deserved to win that one.

I think if that game were played mid season, I think the Steelers would have won handily. In fact, I think the Steelers win that game 9 times out of ten; Green bay just beat them when it counted most.

nuclearchihuahuas
04-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Did any one else notice Ben talked about me, me, me and I, I, I. The extent of "I" in his comments bothers me a bit. I'm glad he wants to have the most rings etc. I just would have preferred, he wanted to earn them with his teammates. I would rather he wanted his teammates to be so successful they were all the best ever...etc. I'm probably overthinking, but with the previous statements on how he and BA want to throw more and the poor winning percentage of the next year's opponents, I am already worried these are really bad omens and now Ben is back to all about him? I remember '09 all too well. You can call me nervous nuclear but until the Steelers are back in the playoffs I'm praying for teamwork and team success.

steeldoc
04-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Last years team was arguably the worse Steeler team to ever play in a SB. Inconsistent O line play, major injuries to key players, and luck in the playoffs. Who would of expected the Ravens to turn into stool in the second half, and for the Jets to require an entire half to wake up. Football is a team game, Ben is a stud, and is clearly one of the games best clutch players. I'm glad he is smarting over the loss and I think he will play in the SB a few more times. We are lucky to have him. :cope::cope::cope::cope:

Speeed
04-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I think it was more about placing blame on himself. I think he feels he let the team down. Let's face it, one of the best quarterbacks in the league played like doggie-doo in the biggest game of the year.

Did any one else notice Ben talked about me, me, me and I, I, I. The extent of "I" in his comments bothers me a bit. I'm glad he wants to have the most rings etc. I just would have preferred, he wanted to earn them with his teammates. I would rather he wanted his teammates to be so successful they were all the best ever...etc. I'm probably overthinking, but with the previous statements on how he and BA want to throw more and the poor winning percentage of the next year's opponents, I am already worried these are really bad omens and now Ben is back to all about him? I remember '09 all too well. You can call me nervous nuclear but until the Steelers are back in the playoffs I'm praying for teamwork and team success.

steeldoc
05-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Speeed these guys all have narcissistic personalities, developed from the adulation received as pee wee football players to being the select few that had the chance to play D1 football. Most are incapable of self reflection. I could care less, I just hope my guys play better and win.